Implosion 02/23/2016 11:37 AM CST
So this exists as a Sorcerer spell in GSIV. Seems like it would be a pretty awesome concept in moon mage repertoire. This is the description from GSIV wiki.

Implosion creates a black void which destroys all of the air around the target(s), subjecting them to vacuum injuries. Then the air will rush back into the area (shortly afterwards), subjecting its victim(s) to the force of the returning air, and likely the impact of any loose objects striking them and doing additional damage. Because the damage is done by air, Purify Air (207) offers some protection against this spell.

I played a Sorcerer in GSIV for a stint and just thought that would be an awesome spell for a MM. It could be used as a single target TM damage + knockback, or an AOE damage TM spell. It could also be conceptualized into a AOE Debilitation spell by pulling everything out to missile range to the rift, with an unbalance. Seems like the spell could fill some of the things I would want shadow web to do. It could probably be described with some shadow web like effects even.
Re: Implosion 02/23/2016 12:11 PM CST
Thematically that fits with Warrior Mages far more than Moon Mages.

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Implosion 02/23/2016 12:22 PM CST
Would be funny if there could be a reverse-version of PD, where instead of teleporting a part of the mob somewhere else, you're teleporting something else into the mob.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Implosion 02/23/2016 01:36 PM CST
>Implosion

>Thematically that fits with Warrior Mages far more than Moon Mages.

Using air as a manipulator yes. That was just the GS4 spell description. What if it created a localized planar anomaly?

Implosion creates an anomalous void which surrounds the target(s), locally underwriting or weakening the planar laws; physically injuring your target(s). After the initial damage caused by planar incursion, the extraplanar Laws return to their native realms and the Laws of this plane rebound (implode), subjecting its victim(s) to the forces of exiting and returning energies resulting in loss of equilibrium (debilitation of some sort) due to the changing realities.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Implosion 02/23/2016 02:06 PM CST
<<Using air as a manipulator yes. That was just the GS4 spell description. What if it created a localized planar anomaly?

Yeah sorry, I edited my original part of the post, that I basically said creating a singularity would power the spell. The singularity being to another plane /space or what not, and attempts to suck everything into it.

I did always want weaponized Deathgates though.. PD used to be a pretty nice "cannon" type spell, but it seems to have lost a lot of its oomph along with 2.0

Skaen's version of the description was also something akin to what I was envisioning as a type of shadow webish spell. You open a void, and tentacles of nightmarish shadows snake out of the void and attempt to drag everything in. Basically a massive kraken type voidspawn that wants lunch.
Re: Implosion 02/23/2016 04:03 PM CST
You're reminding me of a spell I really want to write... the problem is I'm not even sure I can mention the name without it being a spoiler and the fact that I was about the fastest I've ever seen a proposal shot down. (I actually agree with the decision to reject it... maybe I'll find a way to salvage it for an event or something. That saved my dreams of a teleologic healing spell after all!)

-Raesh

"It was wise enough to know itself, and brave enough to BE itself, and wild enough to change itself while somehow staying altogether true." ― The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Re: Implosion 02/23/2016 04:10 PM CST
If I recall that was the same concept as the original Teleologic spell proposals' capstone spell. Fun times. But yes, a little much in the hands of PCs.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Implosion 02/23/2016 04:51 PM CST
>>Fun times. But yes, a little much in the hands of PCs.

Moon Mage TM spell attempts to teleports object in offhand that is 2x2x2 or smaller "into" target. Amount of damage relates to how "lodged" in them it becomes. Would be a interesting alternative to the traditional Damage over Time effects, with Moon Mages having an option outside of thrown or missile weapons. (I also assume it's less "too much" since it's essentially "just" a TM version of the hurl verb.)

Admittedly, at this point I just really want to see a moon mage teleport a bunch of lockpicks and other assorted junk into a mob.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Implosion 02/23/2016 05:21 PM CST
<Admittedly, at this point I just really want to see a moon mage teleport a bunch of lockpicks and other assorted junk into a mob.

I've always just wanted to see the slivers we actually use for TKT work like a Halo needler. Old CRS reminded me of that, if you spam cast it.
Re: Implosion 02/23/2016 05:24 PM CST

>>If I recall that was the same concept as the original Teleologic spell proposals' capstone spell. Fun times. But yes, a little much in the hands of PCs.

Creating shades of probability where iron clad destiny stood is similar in nature. The physical aspect of space being altered in a target area then imploding as reality reshapes itself is a step further undoubtedly. But, like everything it would come with drawbacks, limitations and of course possibilities...

The flavor is what is important. It doesn't have to awe inspiring in power. I think the idea is not only thematically fitting for the guild but its also some spice that would be just right. I can see the spell working akin to whole and partial displacement, but rather than targeting an object or person to teleport the spell pattern would create a pocket in the local area where space and time were temporarily altered to produce effects on anyone unfortunate enough to be in said zone.

The more "substance" in the area of effect the harder it would be to cause alterations and thus the spell would be deadliest when only a hand, arm or even head were caught in its sphere of effect. Because of this knowledge the spell would be designed to only target said areas and would require a full fine target after preparing in order to even cast. If more than one person were to be caught in the area, the results would be disastrous causing the spell pattern to implode back on the caster draining his fatigue, vitality, spirit and attunement to varied degrees based on the failure level. It would require at least one moon above the horizon and whatever else you can think of to make it a thematically accurate. If you cast with no moons instant death. The difficulty of the spell scales upwards with the more people in the room to a point where casting in a crowd is a 100% chance of critical failure and death.
Re: Implosion 02/23/2016 05:31 PM CST
>>The flavor is what is important. It doesn't have to awe inspiring in power.

I've released enough flavorful spells of dubious utility to know that's not exactly true of the vocal segment of the forums.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Implosion 02/23/2016 05:33 PM CST
>>Moon Mage TM spell attempts to teleports object in offhand that is 2x2x2 or smaller "into" target.

Thanks to my BS in Physics, I often wonder what would actually happen if something were to be "teleported" into something else. Conventional fantasy wisdom suggests that the object being teleported will arrive whole, and the object it is teleported into will have a portion of it displaced in order to make room. This is what is happening in your suggestion, and is what often happens in fantasy settings when a person is teleporting themselves, miss, and end up stuck in something.

Taking it a step further, I have sometimes seen instances in fantasy where the two objects' atoms becoming co-mingled. A much worse predicament, if you ask me. In the case of teleporting an object into a person, it would mean that the best they could hope for is the location to be superficial flesh, because all flesh co-mingled with the objected would need to be resected from the body. Likewise, teleporting yourself partially or wholly within another object would likely immediately result in death.

I, personally, think it would be so much worse. I think, in the "best" (depending on how you look at it) case scenario, the objects would, in the instant of teleportation, co-mingle their atoms, and then instantaneously be violently separated by electromagnetic force. In the "worst" case, I think it could actually cause a fission or fusion reaction. It wouldn't propegate, like what happens in a nuclear reactor, or with a bomb, but it would still be entirely catastrophic for the individual.

In any case, any of the above would make for a potent offensive spell.
Re: Implosion 02/23/2016 05:33 PM CST
>Moon Mage TM spell attempts to teleports object in offhand that is 2x2x2 or smaller "into" target.

That's an odd way to describe Valentines day.
Re: Implosion 02/23/2016 05:37 PM CST
Honestly, if we're talking about a TM spell that creates distortions in the plane to fatal effects... I'd rather see PD's weird hijacked messaging get a facelift. Since that's what PD is literally doing.

Thayet
@thayelf // http://thayette.tumblr.com

"But you must know that if corruption is powerful enough, it's not corruption at all — it's law. Unspoken, unwritten, but law." — Robert Jackson Bennett, City of Stairs
Re: Implosion 02/23/2016 09:06 PM CST
>>Honestly, if we're talking about a TM spell that creates distortions in the plane to fatal effects... I'd rather see PD's weird hijacked messaging get a facelift. Since that's what PD is literally doing.

I just want to open the door for a GMNPC to teleport into a GMNPC to create the coolest fatality attack ever.

Re: Implosion 03/13/2016 07:26 PM CDT
>I just want to open the door for a GMNPC to teleport into a GMNPC to create the coolest fatality attack ever.

>Kssarh just telefragged Gauthus!
>DOMINATING!

Kaeta Airtag

"I have faith in the current crop of GMs to not screw people over"

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear