For Your Eyes Only 08/08/2015 10:50 AM CDT
I'd like to talk about being blind.

Background: Heyo everybody! I was having a conversation with few G'nar Pethians I hold in very high esteem, and we were talking about how things are affected when our eyes are gouged out. Now, I think all of us are willing to accept that there are disadvantages and debilitating effects, but the practice, based on our G'nar Pethian lore, suggests that it's of benefit in some way, even if it's something small or insignificant to others.

Right now, it affects a lot:
a. Perception - Meaning, you can't spot anything.
b. Outdoorsmanship
c. Stealth - No hiding
d. Evasion - No Combat
e. And probably more skills that I wouldn't guess.

Okay, so being blind is a disadvantage, I get that. What I'd like to do is alleviate or "trade off" some of the drawbacks. Reasonably, this could be with magic. But wait, those spells aren't helping if you're blind. Shadows doesn't negate the drawback, neither does Clear Vision or Piercing Gaze.

That's why I'm asking for a new Spell in the Perception Category. Basically, a spell which removes the penalty of EYE TRAUMA. It's worth a spell slot, maybe even two or three, for me, if I can portray a G'nar Pethian, but show I still have some functionality in our world.

I'm willing to accept the drawbacks to a point. The Perception penalty is the hardest, of course, because according to the concept of the G'nar Pethians, they can actually see more without their eyes.

So, I'm asking for a spell to accommodate this practice:

NAME: Premonition Sense
BOOK: Perception
AFFECT: Removes all penalties associate with Eye and/or Head Trauma.

This is really a spell for the G'nar Pethians, I know, but it would mean a lot. Or maybe...if a spell is too much, we could incorporate it into some long lasting cantrip...

Braisk

(P.S. Even if I stacked Tenebrous Sense, Clear Vision, Shadows, Aura Sight, and Piercing Gaze, it doesn't seem to circumvent the drawback of blindness. That's why I'm asking for a new spell.)
Re: For Your Eyes Only 08/08/2015 12:23 PM CDT
>> Blind Discussion

Perhaps a Meta Spell to Piercing Gaze or clear visions.
Re: For Your Eyes Only 08/09/2015 02:11 PM CDT
wow, didnt realize it was so horrible. i thought it was just cosmetic description. you guys are nuts.
Re: For Your Eyes Only 08/09/2015 02:20 PM CDT
The blindfold items actually do give you wounds, yeah. I think the standard middle ground for people unwilling to deal with the various penalties of useless-level eye wounds has been to get their eye color shifted to milky white.

Thayet
Twitter: @thayelf
Tumblr: thayette.tumblr.com
Re: For Your Eyes Only 08/09/2015 02:23 PM CDT
<<wow, didnt realize it was so horrible. i thought it was just cosmetic description. you guys are nuts.

Most (all?) of us PC Pethians don't run around actually blind, primarily due to the penalties, but also because the blind Pethians are supposed to be completely crazy-sauce and that's hard RP to pull off. We mostly do wear a blindfold which is both cosmetic and symbolic. I always assume they have either eye slots or the material is such that we are able to see through them even if the description doesn't explicitly state that.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: For Your Eyes Only 08/09/2015 06:05 PM CDT
This would be a technological nightmare.

-Raesh

"The trouble with atheism, is that it offers a limited range of curses.” - Two Serpents Rise
Re: For Your Eyes Only 08/12/2015 07:50 AM CDT
Well, now that I've learned that the Blindness isn't even intended, and only might happen once you become an "Advanced Initiate", there's really no purpose for the spell.

Originally, I thought the Blindfolds were intended as part of the "Seeing" process, but now I'm not exactly sure about them. Also, I think I just read that the people going around with the Blindfolds and the Gouged-Eyes are considered pitiful by the Advanced G'nar Pethians.

I'm not going to throw the Blindfold away, but I'm going to rethink the whole...thing.
Re: For Your Eyes Only 08/12/2015 06:44 PM CDT
<<Also, I think I just read that the people going around with the Blindfolds and the Gouged-Eyes are considered pitiful by the Advanced G'nar Pethians.

Blindfolds are fine. They're symbolic and non-functional. The actual gouging out of ones eyes prematurely in order to claim enlightenment is what is considered eye roll worthy. Pun intended.

Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: For Your Eyes Only 08/14/2015 05:54 AM CDT
>Blindfolds are fine. They're symbolic and non-functional. The actual gouging out of ones eyes prematurely in order to claim enlightenment is what is considered eye roll worthy. Pun intended.

Well, wait a second. They're actually functional. And the Blindfolds are only symbolic of the Advanced Initiates.

I mean, if The elders pity us gouging out our eyes, they'd likely pity anyone walking around blindfolded, trying to look like an Advanced Initiate, when they can actually see.
Re: For Your Eyes Only 08/14/2015 05:02 PM CDT
<<Well, wait a second. They're actually functional.

Put a piece of silk or lace over your face and you can see through it. Or a mesh insert made to look like the rest of the blindfold. Or cut some discreet eye slits. Or simply just hand wave it. There's lots of ways to wear a blindfold without losing your sight.

<<And the Blindfolds are only symbolic of the Advanced Initiates.

No. They're a symbol of the sect as a whole. Same with purple robes and golden eyes within inverted triangles. You see a moon mage wearing a blindfold shaped pin you're pretty much guaranteed to be correct in assuming they're a Pethian, for example.

I get the sense from your posts that you are a very literal person and are overthinking this for the sake of being able to explain every little detail. The nature of a text game requires a certain degree of hand waving.

Re: For Your Eyes Only 08/15/2015 02:01 PM CDT
>I get the sense from your posts that you are a very literal person and are overthinking this for the sake of being able to explain every little detail. The nature of a text game requires a certain degree of hand waving.

Naw...I'm just trying to weed out what's accidental and what's intended. When DR-Armifer said that gouged out eyes were looked on the by the elder Pethians as pitiful, I was sorta taken aback, and wanted to go down some lines of questioning. I remember G'nar Pethians from years and years back trying to gouge out there eyes; now I know that it's not really intended.

And hey, if you want want to wear a blindfold, more power to you. I wouldn't make fun of anyone, anyway. All good. Have a great day!
Re: For Your Eyes Only 08/15/2015 02:05 PM CDT
>No. They're a symbol of the sect as a whole. Same with purple robes and golden eyes within inverted triangles. You see a moon mage wearing a blindfold shaped pin you're pretty much guaranteed to be correct in assuming they're a Pethian, for example.

Okay. Thanks for that info. Much appreciated.