Moonblade Change 04/12/2015 05:03 PM CDT
I don't know if this has been suggested before, but would it be acceptable for Moonblade's default form to be a physical weapon that uses TM instead of a small edge? Do lots of people actually use Moonblade as their main form of small edged? If so, don't they still have to have a back up small edge in case the moon sets? I feel like a physical TM weapon would be something more unique and interesting than just summoning a standard blade that looks cool. Would this be too big of a change, since Moonblade has been what it is for so long? Would it be thematically or theoretically inconsistent? Shape moonblade could still solidify it into standard forms, of course if they were desired. I'm curious what people would think of this change.
Re: Moonblade Change 04/12/2015 05:25 PM CDT
>>I don't know if this has been suggested before, but would it be acceptable for Moonblade's default form to be a physical weapon that uses TM instead of a small edge?

Short Answer: No.

Long Answer: I'm not even sure what a TM-based weapon would look like. Would it require mana when you attacked? What would happen if you attacked an Aether Cloak with it? And the things you'd have to do to core combat... ::shudder::

And that's before you get into balance concerns and questions like "Should Moon Mages really learn a weapon skill at a primary rate"?

When we eventually get to developing TM Foci I think that will be somewhat more in the vein of what you're looking for.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Moonblade Change 04/22/2015 11:06 AM CDT
Small edge is only one type of moonblade. I use it for staves and 2HE mostly, but also have back ups for no moon periods. With the right metaspell there are a variety of shapes that train different wepaons, so they are really nice as they let you train four different weapon types without having to carry the weapons. Another metaspell lets you store non-tm spells in your moonblade that you can invoke for instant full prep. To me this is mostly useful in PvP, but you might like it for other things.

It's a pretty solid spell. And you can improve it with weaponsmithing techs and full moons.

--Sunny
Re: Moonblade Change 04/22/2015 08:52 PM CDT
Thank you, Raesh, for letting me know why my idea is not feasible.

Sunny, I am aware of the metaspells and ways to improve the statistics and wasn't suggesting any change to them. Also, you didn't mention breaking the moonblade for TKT/TKS ammunition.

I guess it is a little bit subjective to balance Utility spells, as opposed to the other 4 types of spells. Comparing Partial Displacement with Dinazen Olkar is easy. Comparing Locate with Moonblade is not. Personally, I felt like Moonblade is too easily replicated with an item for an Advanced 1-slot Utility spell, with the visible Moon drawback.

I am not upset that the first thing I threw out was not feasible. I am just trying to think of something more unique the spell could do. Maybe I'm wrong, though. Maybe it is just a 'pretty solid spell.' Like I said, Utility seems more subjective to balance than the other categories.

On another note, would it be possible for Moonblade to have battle casting time? It does summon a weapon, which seems like something you might want to do in combat.