Visions Meeting 01/29/2016 01/28/2016 02:05 AM CST
Greetings colleagues!

On Friday the 29th at 9pmE there will be a Visions Meeting in the Aviary of the Great Tower of Ilithi to discuss the multitude of new visions and recent events! Any interested are welcome to join this open forum and contribute respectful ideas and observations.

Thanks kindly for your attention!

Mistanna Redivas
Scribe of the Crystal Vanguard
Re: Visions Meeting 01/29/2016 01/30/2016 12:33 AM CST
Visions Meeting Log

Miskton says, "Okay, I think we can get started. Thank you all for coming! It's been awhile since the last meeting, and it seems we have plenty to discuss now."

Miskton says, "A few visions seem to have already resolved themselves, in fact. But those are still useful for discussing, because often it's hard to tell if a specific predicted event has actually occurred."

Miskton says, "I'm going to go through the most recent visions in roughly the order in which they have occurred..."

Miskton says, "In the first..."

Miskton says, "Reality seemed to shudder and strain under an enormous weight as my vision went white. Against the pale backdrop I saw the silhouette of an Elf, walking along a path of black tar sprinkled with ivory. The Elf stopped and performed an elaborate gesture, causing the path around him to change. Tendrils of blue energy, half-cloud and half-lightning, first snaked along then enveloped the path in both directions. In a final display the now bright path folded in upon itself, the line becoming a circle."

Miskton says, "I'm afraid I don't have too many solid ideas on this one. I thought, perhaps, that it might be related to the new spell the warrior mages have developed, but the vision continues to occur. Though it could still be that someone will be using it in a significant way."

Navesi says, "Yes, it does seem like Electrostatic Eddy."

Lijarna says, "Though it would seem an odd use of such a spell, given the potential symbolism."

Miskton says, "I've been told that the location in the vision might look something like part of the area west of Kaerna, where the trolls roam. I'll have to check that out in the near future."

Navesi says, "Although that was developed by Gebuys, a Human, the lightning cloud points strongly to it."

Miskton says, "It's been some time since I was last there, so I don't remember the surroundings that well."

Lijarna says, "A path of tar sprinkled with ivory seems suggestive of the Starry Road."

Navesi says, "Such locations are often metaphorical as well. I could not think of much in that regard, except yes, something starry."

Navesi says, "It is possible I suppose that some Elf will use the spell in some way. The circular nature is also odd."

Miskton says, "The line becoming a circle is likely significant, particularly considering that a similar image appears in another vision that we'll get to later."

Klines says, "Near the impassable gate to Sorrow's Reach, there is a literal pool of tar. It may just be a coincidence, however."

Miskton says, "Though the circle is a symbol with a fairly broad array of potential meanings."

Jherrisali jubilantly says, "The image reminds me more of bones than stars."

Navesi says, "My only sense regarding the circle is that perhaps the Elf is taking something that is 'normal' and making it somehow strange, difficult, or impossible."

Fizzbitty distractedly says, "It justseemsthattheElf istakingonepath overanother, toomeatleast."

Klines says, "The circle could also represent a cyclic event."

Miskton says, "Let's see... The next two visions seem like they were somewhat more literal, and more easily tied to specific events."

Miskton says, "A strange, oily sensation crept across my flesh and I felt as I was falling. The world around me grew dim and distant, and I became aware of the disjointed elements of a scene that was both there and not."

Miskton says, "A corpse lay before a furious Prydaen man, its form shifting so rapidly that it was impossible for me to make out any details save for a heavy, hooded cloak. As if ash, pieces of the body's flesh flaked away until all that was left was a sooty cloud. Carried upon a fierce wind, the ashen mass first swirled over water teeming with fish, then continued to pass by a crystalline sculpture before settling to reform in the shadow of a great mountain."

Miskton says, "A flock of birds burst forth in flight to obscure my vision, and just as I began to note the variety of colorful plumage, I saw each of the creatures crushed by an invisible force! I ducked my head to avoid their twisted bodies as they fall, and when I looked back up, found myself reoriented to my surroundings, the jumbled images all but a fragile memory."

Miskton says, "And the second vision..."

Miskton says, "My sight was suddenly snatched away by an intense vision, but I first heard a scream of feral anger rather than saw it. The image of the Faldesu river appeared, quiet at first but then beginning to churn and boil. Skeletal figures rose from it, dancing at the hands of an unseen puppet."

Miskton says, "The first vision was seen shortly before an invasion here in Shard, and the second shortly before a swarm of undead rose up from the Faldesu and attacked Riverhaven."

Liurilias says, "The hooded man reminds me of Beezell's master."

Miskton says, "It's my understanding that a Prydaen necromancer may have been seen during the latter event, though I've only heard about that third hand."

You say, "Ahh, I remember the second. I think I was still wandering some when the first occurred."

Navesi asks, "What was the invasion in Shard, may I ask?"

Navesi says, "I wasn't present for the Riverhaven invasion either, but I also heard thirdhand that there was a Prydaen necromancer there."

Jherrisali jubilantly says, "Ohhhh."

Jherrisali jubilantly says, "That seems so silly, he'd loose all his empathic abilities."

Navesi says, "I'm not certain he had any choice in the matter."

Liurilias says, "Corpses don't really have many choices left them, I think."

Miskton says, "I was somewhat out of the loop for the later events involving the surgeon. I had some... disagreements with the gnome inspectors, and didn't realize the severity of the situation until afterwards."

(Miskton rubs absently at his right eye for a moment.)

Miskton says, "But yes, it's my understanding that whoever was behind that is still out there, and may well be related to these more recent undead attacks."

Miskton says, "I haven't heard of any follow ups to those events... The undead from Riverhaven would be notable, I think. I believe many of them are rarely seen, being created from corpses found on the riverbed."

Liurilias says, "I get the impression that this shadowed master is quite adept at changing identities."

Navesi says, "That would fit with the corpse whose form shifted rapidly."

Whiteburn says, "His power is extensive..."

Miskton says, "Yet another threat to keep an eye out for, as if there aren't enough already."

Miskton says, "And on the subject of threats..."

Miskton says, "Hmm. And the subject of undead, now that I remind myself."

Fizzbitty distractedly says, "Ijustget afeeling that thereissomething bigger than justchasingNecromancers, somethingmore evil than thatthat might behere."

Miskton says, "A shadowy haze descended upon my surroundings as my vision shifted. As I adjusted, a decaying fort came into view, though it was little more than burned wood and mounds of mud and rubble. Ancient soldiers that no longer drew breath, each wearing uniforms of a forgotten time, rose up only to be blasted into oblivion by robed mages. As my surroundings returned, I heard a faint whisper, "Lord Alret will rule all, you know."

Navesi says, "This one clearly played out in the attack on Fort Motte, a ruined fort in the Middens."

Miskton asks, "Were Elpalzi mages seen attacking undead soldiers, by any chance?"

Jherrisali jubilantly says, "I didn't see any undead soldiers at the first attack, just Elpalzi."

Skaen says, "I believe so."

Miskton says, "I believe I heard something about them wanting practice, which may be what that was about."

Jherrisali jubilantly says, "Although for most of it I was inside doing triage so..."

Navesi says, "There are undead conscripts in the fort, though I didn't see the Elpalzi actually attack them."

Navesi says, "That event was very curious, because they attacked the fort, then made a large attack on the East gate, and then seemed pleased when we engaged them there."

Navesi says, "Yet since then they've shown no interest in the fort. I check it periodically."

Miskton says, "There's another vision that, given current context, seems like it might involve the Elpalzi as well. I thought perhaps it was the voice of Alret, though I've heard the opinion expressed that it didn't sound like him."

Miskton exclaims, "I heard a voice, commanding and charismatic, ring in my ears, "For too long we have been alone. For too long we have been reviled. For too long we have been a footnote of history! I will not see my people decay and fade away. There shall be a terrible renaissance and I shall show you the way!"

Fizzbitty distractedly says, "I'veseen thattoo."

Jherrisali jubilantly says, "That sounds like his motive, can't say I've ever heard him."

Miskton says, "I've not seen him in person, or heard him over the gweths, so I can't say one way or another if it sounds like him."

Lijarna says, "It would seem to match their supposed motivation."

Miskton says, "The sentiment certainly seems to match, yes."

Miskton says, "The next two visions... they clearly seem to be related, but they also seem to be almost entirely symbolic."

Miskton says, "I saw an oaken arrow flying straight and true through the air. It struck a pane of glass suspended rigidly in space and went straight through. The glass cracked and shattered, but the pieces did not move."

Miskton says, "And then..."

Miskton says, "I saw an oaken arrow flying straight and true through the air. Abruptly, the arrow slowed down in its flight and started curving upward. Within seconds the arrow had bent into a circle without cracking and sat rigidly suspended in space."

Miskton says, "At first I thought the first had changed to the second, but both visions continue to be seen."

Fizzbitty distractedly says, "Thereisthe circle again."

Jherrisali jubilantly says, "Maybe that has something to do with the Elf walking the circle."

Miskton says, "Other than the potential link to the vision with the Elf, I don't have too much to go on with these at the moment, I'm afraid."

Jherrisali jubilantly says, "Seems like someone is trapped to me, that's what I'd do if I was stuck in a space, walk circles."

Miskton says, "There's certainly attempts that can be made at identifying the symbolism, but they are still somewhat generic at the moment, without being able to tie it to people or places."

Lijarna says, "Aye, the significance of the oaken arrow has vexed me quite heavily as well."

Navesi says, "The best I can hazard is that it has something to do with barriers."

Navesi says, "A rigid barrier that shatters, versus something that stops the arrow entirely but makes it... unlike itself."

Navesi says, "But there are really too many possibilities."

Navesi says, "I still feel as though the circle is some kind of symbol of danger, of making something work in the 'wrong' way, but I can't be certain."

Lijarna says, "The arrow's straight shaft and the path both seem natural."

Fizzbitty distractedly says, "Justmythoughts."

Navesi says, "Could also be."

Miskton says, "The next two visions... seem to be resolved at this point. It's nice to have some case studies that seem like we can clearly work out what they were indicating."

Jherrisali jubilantly says, "Maybe it's both, the Elpalzi returning for an unnatural reason."

Miskton says, "My worldly senses were overwhelmed by an onslaught of jumbled images and sounds! For the briefest moment, the chaos solidified enough for me to make out the image of a giant bear supporting a field of valiant fighters training upon its massive back. Gladiolus blossoms sprouted from the pooling blood of their fallen enemies just as the preternatural scene faded away, leaving me in there here and now once again."

Miskton says, "The idea that the bear was related to Zoluren in some way, because of the gladiolus blossoms led to some searching of the area."

Navesi says, "He wears a bear-hide and provided the arena for us to train in."

Lasciel says, "... train."

Miskton says, "He's known for teaching bear inspired abilities to barbarians, as well."

Miskton says, "He was sought out, but did not care for having a large number of people crowd into his cave asking questions."

Navesi says, "Yes, he was a little touchy about that."

Miskton says, "Also, there was another vision that definitely brought the crowd in to seek him out."

Lasciel says, "He really saved us from the Elpalzi."

Miskton says, "Darkness engulfed me as I found myself lost to another vision! Emerging from a cave, a massive Gor'Tog warrior snarled as he raised his weapons, shaking blood from both them and the bear hide he was wearing. The man stomped and howled as the ground beneath his feet morphed into a pile of Elpalzi corpses! My vision dissolved into a sanguine mist and the once-deafening sounds of rage subsided, leaving me with only but a whispered phrase repeating in my mind -- "Drathrok's Duskruin."

Navesi says, "However, he then appeared in the battle that followed, making great strides against the Elpalzi and bolstering morale."

Lasciel says, "Oh I was being sarcastic, I guess he did a little."

Miskton says, "There was also a vision similar to the one with the bear, seen by a number of clerics."

Miskton says, "It's my understanding that it was a similar vision of a massive bear, but from the perspective of those carried on its back."

Jherrisali jubilantly says, "Oooh neat, I want that vision. Bear riding sound s fun."

Miskton says, "At any rate, the meaning of Drathrok's Duskruin seems rather clear now. And it's certainly leading to many folks honing their combat skills."

Lasciel says, "A rats."

Lasciel says, "Lots of rats."

Lasciel says, "Sort of underwhelming."

Miskton says, "Let's see... more recently, there are several newer visions which have started occurring."

Miskton says, "I saw a pair of glowing blue hands with slender fingers and lacquered nails. As I watched, water slowly pooled up in the cupped palms, tinted metallic blue by the glow. However, I noticed that the water did not behave like water at all: it sporadically climbed into the air in little forked tendrils, passed through the flesh of the hands without dripping below, and frothed over with sparks. After several seconds, the hands began trembling and threw away the strange liquid, which crackled into nothingness."

Miskton says, "I have to thank Klines for his insight on this. He found some references to the appearance of the Heralds which seem to match up with the images of the vision quite well."

Fizzbitty distractedly says, "Isawthat twiceonthe waydown from Crossing."

Navesi says, "If anyone would like to read his article on the subject, I have copies."

Lijarna says, "It was incredibly insightful."

Lasciel says, "Good work Klines."

Klines says, "Thank you."

Lasciel says, "Mistanna, praise him."

(Navesi produces a rolled parchment and hands it to Fizzbitty.)

Fizzbitty distractedly exclaims, "Thankyou!"

Miskton says, "If the hands are those of a Herald, magic would certainly seem to be involved. And an element not behaving as it should does seem to have some potential relation to elemental magic sorcery."

(Fizzbitty accepts the rolled parchment from Navesi and puts it in her pack.)

You say, "I wondered perhaps if it even symbolized aether or void."

Miskton says, "The hands throwing away the water also seem like the potential reaction of the Heralds to something like sorcery."

Miskton says, "The next vision..."

Miskton says, "Solid shadows rolled before my eyes, becoming twelve glass marbles laid out on a swath of dark blue satin. From the edges of the fabric a purple smolder encroached inward ever so slowly. With callous patience, I watched it reach one of the marbles and cause it to fall into a black, burnt hole, only then feeling a twist of grief in my heart."

Miskton says, "Twelve marbles on dark blue satin could be the twelve planets visible in the night sky."

Miskton says, "The purple smolder has obvious connotations of sorcery, but then there's also the mysterious cloud that can be seen around the constellation of the Wolf."

Navesi asks, "I was meaning to ask, does anyone here know when the cloud first appeared for certain, and when it appeared to grow?"

Miskton says, "I have notes in here somewhere... it'll take me a moment to look them up, though."

Skaen says, "At least a decade if I recall."

Skaen says, "Probably longer."

Navesi says, "The first recorded appearance Klines and I could find was in 408."

Navesi says, "But I was wondering if anyone spotted it earlier, and especially about its growth and when that happened."

Skaen says, "I'm sure it was noticed, but no one enjoys advertising their ignorance."

Navesi says, "No judgment on that front. It can be difficult to keep track of these things."

Jherrisali jubilantly says, "I will advertise mine, I never noticed a cloud."

Skaen says, "Even the guild leadership took the stance that they were unaware of it's true nature."

Fizzbitty distractedly says, "Butwhy is sorcerybad?i mean theArenaispromoting itwiththe sales ofinfusersintheshopthere."

Lijarna says, "And something of such significance might even likely be swept under the rug."

You ask, "I thought the plume first appeared around the time we started seeing the first visions of the Akul'tiz?"

Navesi says, "Sorcery is bad for a number of reasons, depending on which type of sorcery you are speaking of."

Navesi says, "It is illegal for a reason."

Miskton says, "The earliest notes of it I can find were from the year 410, around the time of the Akul'tiz, yes. It's progressed since, then, though."

Jherrisali jubilantly says, "Just depends on if you're using it to make cupcakes or portals to rend dimensions."

Miskton says, "I think I may have noted something down earlier, but some of my older notes are... not in the best shape."

Navesi says, "No, even the 'benign' spells are dangerous if cast sorcerously."

Navesi says, "It is very much a bad thing to do."

You say, "I think there are differing opinions, perhaps."

Lijarna says, "There is always a price to be paid."

Miskton says, "At any rate, if the vision does indicate something on a level posing potential danger to an entire planet, I'm inclined to think it has something to do with the massive ominous cloud out in space."

Lijarna says, "When only the sorcerer pays it, it be on them, but often others face the cost as well."

Navesi says, "Regardless, an Elemental Sorcery would be even more dangerous than sorcerous casting. We have numerous instances throughout history of the danger of sorcery, including Blackfire sorcery and the Voidspell."

Jherrisali jubilantly says, "I think it comes down to that point entirely. If I blow myself up, I can fix it. I wouldn't endanger everyone."

Lasciel says, "We have to get into space and stop it."

Miskton says, "It would certainly be an interesting trip..."

Lijarna asks, "Time to contract some engineers to build a ladder?"

Navesi says, "If you must insist upon sorcerously casting another mana frequency's spells, you should at least come to terms with the serious danger you put yourself in."

You say, "Oh, right. Still sorcery."

Navesi says, "That is the kind of mindframe that sorcerous casting demands."

Jherrisali jubilantly says, "I say agree to disagree."

Fizzbitty distractedly says, "Weopenportals to whoknowswhere."

You say, "I've botched it myself more than a few times, most the reason I've spent time in jail."

Jherrisali jubilantly says, "I've never been to jail, and don't plan on it. I've heard bad bad things."

Miskton says, "Luckily I haven't had too many mishaps with moongates. Just once when I was younger, and opened one in a river..."

Navesi says, "Surely the danger of something is a reason to consider whether to use it, and whether to make it illegal."

Navesi says, "I'm not saying we should make moongates illegal. They should be used with caution."

Skaen says, "The danger inherent in Sorcery has nothing to do with potential bodily injury of peasants."

Skaen waves his hand distractedly.

Navesi says, "But sorcerous casting is dangerous to the caster wherever it is cast. And it threatens to erode the mind, which can make that caster dangerous to others later."

Skaen says, "It weakens the planar boundaries."

Skaen says, "No."

Skaen says, "All sorcery."

Skaen says, "But, back to this threat of planetary annihilation."

Navesi says, "Yes, I do apologize for the digression."

Fizzbitty distractedly says, "Yes, sorryaboutthat."

Fizzbitty distractedly says, "I'mjusta scienetisttrying to learn themostican."

Miskton says, "As far as I'm aware, there are still no historical records that have been found indicating something similar to the cloud around the Wolf, so we're operating a bit blind as to what it might mean."

You say, "Oh, no apologies needed. We are all scholars, waxing philosophical comes with the setting."

Skaen says, "I almost hope the threats are one in the same."

Lijarna says, "And hopefully if there is something we might do to stop any malign influence, we learn of it sooner rather than later."

Miskton says, "The source would SEEM to be somewhere very far away from us, but that could be misleading. Perhaps there is something that can be done closer to home, once something is figured out."

Miskton says, "Let's see... I have two more visions to go over tonight."

Miskton says, "I found myself dangling over the edge of a sheer rockface, gripped at the scruff of my neck by a transparent hand. I struggled and clawed, but my flailings only met empty air. Instead of simply dropping me, my captor flung me out with such force that the vision itself jarred violently, coming to an end, even as I heard my own frightened yell trailing off in the distance."

Miskton says, "The hands in the earlier vision weren't transparent, but there may be some link between apparently disembodied hands."

(Fizzbitty guzzles some strong hazelnut coffee from her dented stein.)

Navesi says, "There are a lot of invisible forces in these visions in general."

Fizzbitty distractedly asks, "Couldthey beghostly? undead?"

You say, "Maybe ghostly, but I got a more feel that it was describing telekinetics."

You say, "More of a feel..."

Miskton says, "Beyond that potential link... my behavior in the vision felt more like that of some small animal. There could be some meaning there, as we often take perspectives that aren't really our own in visions. The fact that yelling was heard in the distance as I switched perspectives at the end of the vision might cause problems for that idea, though."

Miskton says, "And yes, telekinetic magic of some sort would fit the idea of an invisible hand."

Miskton says, "In the last vision..."

Fizzbitty distractedly says, "Yahthatdoes seemmorelikely."

Miskton says, "Soot and smoke suddenly assaulted my senses of sight, smell, and taste. Through the oily blackness, I glimpsed a dragon-headed man striding confidently across a battlefield, spewing bright scarlet flames wherever he went and swinging orange-yellow fists at silhouetted enemies between breaths."

Lijarna says, "Though it may also represent a force greater than us forcing us to take a step that we aren't particularly eager to take."

Jherrisali jubilantly says, "Or just someone playing a prank with an invisibility spell up. Well a really really mean prank, but still."

Miskton says, "An interesting note on this vision... Male seers perceive a male dragon-headed figure, while female seers perceive a female one."

Fizzbitty distractedly says, "Yesisawa woman."

Lasciel says, "Maybe they're in love."

Fizzbitty distractedly exclaims, "Maybe!"

You ask, "That warmage's spell had some new research come out didn't it? Dragon's breath?"

Navesi says, "That seems like the clearest connection to me."

Navesi says, "Although Klines had some ideas as well about the Heralds."

Miskton asks, "On that note, I've actually not seen the vision for a bit. Has anybody seen it very recently?"

You say, "Not today, at least."

Lasciel says, "We'll miss you dragon-headed man.. woman.."

Miskton says, "Possibly some weight toward the warrior mage magic developments, but we'll have to watch out. It might just be chance that it hasn't been spotted again yet."

Miskton says, "Well, it's in the First Land Herald article, for anyone who cares to read that later."

Miskton exclaims, "And that brings us up to date!"

Miskton asks, "Does anybody have any questions, or anything else they'd like to discuss?"

Navesi says, "My only real concern is discovering ways to prepare to fight this Elemental Sorcery if it should come into being."

Jherrisali jubilantly says, "No, thanks for the discussion and enlightenment."

Navesi says, "The last thing we want is another Voidspell incident."

Navesi says, "And perhaps if we can avoid that, we can avoid the wrath of the Heralds."

Lijarna says, "If Lunar Sorcery has such a negative impact upon our connection to our planes of insight, I would be worried for the effects of Elemental Sorcery given the ties of those planes to that of Abiding."

Navesi says, "So I would encourage everyone to keep reading, and share anything you learn that may be of help."

Miskton says, "Well then. Thank you all for coming. And for the seers among you, keep an eye out for any new visions. And that dragon vision, as well, in case that reappears."

Navesi says, "Thank you again Miskton for hosting."

Skaen says, "If the threat to the Wolf constellation is indeed the same threat to the planet..."

Skaen says, "Keep an eye on Durgaulda."

Miskton says, "My pleasure, as always."