Observations Logbook idea 05/04/2012 11:55 AM CDT
This probably won't ever be done, or can't be done, but I was sitting here thinking. Sometimes I make an observation, say of the wolf constellation and I'm either not interested in making a prediction or I want to save it... Is there any way we could have an Observation Logbook that we could preserve observations for later use, say when it's daytime and we don't have any wolf observations stored in our heads.

Observe wolf
You scan the skies for a few moments.
Your search for the constellation of The Wolf is foiled by the daylight. (doh!)

Then we could get out our frayed Observation logbook and flip to page 5 and find a saved wolf observation. It would probably be considered OP or something, but it could be a plat sink, fest only item, or just extremely limited in number. Sort of like a sigilbook but with observations instead.

Observe wolf
Scribe log
You make careful notes on all that you noticed from your viewing of the Wolf constellation, being careful to remember every minute detail. You believe you made all of the correct notations in your logbook for later use.

Just an idea.

Zozuskar says, "You're a sneaky little beard."
Re: Observations Logbook idea 05/04/2012 12:31 PM CDT
>>This probably won't ever be done, or can't be done, but I was sitting here thinking. Sometimes I make an observation, say of the wolf constellation and I'm either not interested in making a prediction or I want to save it... Is there any way we could have an Observation Logbook that we could preserve observations for later use, say when it's daytime and we don't have any wolf observations stored in our heads.

That's what the prediction pool is for.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Observations Logbook idea 05/04/2012 02:00 PM CDT
Yeah, I don't understand what purpose this serves aside from adding a secondary prediction pool. It's a neat RP tool for Celestians though!
Re: Observations Logbook idea 05/04/2012 03:07 PM CDT
Some kind of object you could "bank" predictions in to invoke later might be a cool. A "cambrinth" for observations. I'd see it as a auction item though.
Re: Observations Logbook idea 05/04/2012 03:39 PM CDT
>>Some kind of object you could "bank" predictions in to invoke later might be a cool. A "cambrinth" for observations. I'd see it as a auction item though.

:psyduck: We already have this! It's called the prediction pool!

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Observations Logbook idea 05/04/2012 04:17 PM CDT
>>:psyduck: We already have this! It's called the prediction pool!

I actually thought the person was talking about a non-enchantment version of CJs. So you're storing post-prediction not pre-prediction.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Observations Logbook idea 05/04/2012 04:26 PM CDT
>>I actually thought the person was talking about a non-enchantment version of CJs. So you're storing post-prediction not pre-prediction.

OP was definitely talking about storing observations (pre-prediction). 2nd poster, not sure, as they swapped mid thought.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

-Raesh
Re: Observations Logbook idea 05/04/2012 04:28 PM CDT
>>OP was definitely talking about storing observations (pre-prediction). 2nd poster, not sure, as they swapped mid thought.

Yeah, I meant the prediction cambrinth person.

"You always have to be a know-it-all. And you don't. Know. It. All." - GERSTEINJ2
Re: Observations Logbook idea 05/04/2012 11:52 PM CDT
I was thinking pre-prediction with the "prediction cambrinth." You could choose to bank a prediction pool from observations for later use ON TOP OF AND IN ADDITION to the Prediction Pool. Like a Luckstone, except you have to charge it up first, and theoretically have some control over which pool it will fill when you tap it.

The fact that your prediction pools let you fill each one doesn't mean some people might not find it awesome to have a second, flexible prediction pool (of a single pool type, offense, defense, survival, lore) they can fill to use for a later day. The big benefit being the ability to pull off two back to back predictions in the same set if you wanted to.

Granted using a device to store a "prediction," not observations for later use would ALSO be cool auction item. I don't see how user wise these two things would really be that much different, but I imagine any such device will have to wait for Raesh to fall into some kind of smoke induced delirium that induces him to engage in the self destructive behavior of looking at the prediction system code.
Re: Observations Logbook idea 05/05/2012 04:35 AM CDT
Oh I've LOOKED at the code. Quite often. Looking isn't the hard part.

(And for the record the prediction code is scary, but it's child's play compared to the Heavens. THAT is the truly terrifying part of any major rewrite project).

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose