Debilitation 04/08/2022 10:45 AM CDT

I seem to only be able to train debilitation by listening to a class, is this normal?
Re: Debilitation 04/08/2022 12:41 PM CDT
From what I understand the best way to train debil is with a debil spell. Since the forums are slated to be closed I'd suggest either checking the MM area on epedia https://elanthipedia.play.net/Moon_Mage

Or stop by the official DR Discord & head to the MM channel, follow the top of the page for the official discord.
https://elanthipedia.play.net/Discord

good luck
Re: Debilitation 04/09/2022 06:28 AM CDT
It is possible to train debil by casting at critters, but it's very slow- at least at first. Last night when I was hunting, I managed to get a few mind states by using a melee cast against the critters at melee with me.

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Debilitation 04/09/2022 11:59 AM CDT
>I seem to only be able to train debilitation by listening to a class, is this normal?

It's possible that your character is bugged, but it's much more likely that you aren't casting your debilitation spells against a target that challenges your debilitation skill. Debilitation (and targeted magic) require you to cast on a target that challenges those skills just as training a weapon requires you to attack a target that challenges your specific weapon skill.

Once you have 76 appraisal ranks you can APPRAISE RAT CAREFUL (or whatever target you're facing) and it'll give you information on how well your target will train various weapon, targeted magic, debilitation, etc skills. Until you have 76 appraisal skill ranks you're blind to that information, unfortunately. Refer to the https://elanthipedia.play.net/Category:Hunting_ladders page to get a rough idea of which creature(s) to try casting on to train debilitation.

One issue common to moon mages is debilitation and TM outpacing their mundane combat skills because of skillset placement. I usually recommend Moon Mages do not listen to TM or Debilitation classes because it exacerbates this issue.
Re: Debilitation 04/11/2022 12:41 PM CDT
>>Debilitation (and targeted magic) require you to cast on a target that challenges those skills

IIRC, the unique challenge with debilitation is that stats matter when it comes to learning debilitation. In other words, you might be fighting something that teaches weapons into the 500 range, but if your stats are _so good that the SvS check is not really a challenge, you won't learn even if your debilitation skill is also in the 500 (or 400!) range.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Debilitation 05/05/2022 04:01 PM CDT
This is normal for Moon Mages starting out or even far up the hunting ladder. For new moon mages, if they try and use calm it just won't work. If you cast it on something it won't let you learn again from casting on that critter until it wears off, and it trains dismally. Sleep doesn't have this issue, but you might not want to start with calm then sleep. Using a burden scroll will also train you okay if you don't want to use sleep. Dazzle is lackluster in general and you can't always use it.

Training Debilitation at high ranks is a different story. Aside from using classes you will not be able to train it effectively as a moon mage, without sorcery. Try casting DMRS if you are at that stage in hunting and you will be able to lock the skill when your guild spells won't go past 1/. If you are not in this category, I highly suggest working sorcery up in preparation.

With Shadow Web being returned after it was gutted from the guild (along with its glory) there is a chance it trains well since it's cyclic. I haven't tested it. It's scroll only though I believe. Good luck with the guild and hopefully you find the charm in it.

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"

Re: Debilitation 05/20/2022 08:21 PM CDT
easy way is sorcery area of effect debilitation.