(no subject) 06/10/2019 01:02 PM CDT
I don't remember what lead me to do a DISCERN LOCATE but I noticed this:

> The Locate spell shows you a vision of another person's location. Using more mana will allow you to see locations further away. With skill your clairvoyance will sharpen, allowing you to find your subject indoors, or even if he is trying to hide from you.

> This is a non-battle spell that can be cast on a single target. Non-battle spells have significantly longer preparation times than battle spells. It can be cast without a target and on other adventurers. It requires a minimum of fifteen mana streams, and can expand to a maximum of one hundred mana streams woven into it. To begin to be able to cast this spell, you will need to reach the rank of an experienced practitioner. By the time you have mastered this spell, you will be ranked as a master in your abilities as a caster. It requires the Utility skill to cast effectively. Before you can learn this spell, you must know one of Artificer's Eye, Aura Sight or Piercing Gaze. It will also cost one spell slot.

> The spell requires at minimum 15 mana streams and you think you can reinforce it with 85 more, for a total of 100 streams.
> Roundtime: 7 sec.

and I thought to myself, "self, when was the last time you actually looked at what Locate does? You just assumed it worked the same now as it did 15 years ago. So what happens when cast without a target?"

Long story short: nothing.

> >cast

> You gesture.
> There doesn't seem to be anyone by that name under the skies.

Is there missing functionality or is that an incorrect claim in the Discern? Or I mean, I guess it's technically true, in a disingenuous and accidental sort of way.
Locate w/o Target 06/10/2019 01:04 PM CDT
Also, not sure how to fix that I forgot to put a subject in and it posted anyway as "(no subject)" - sorry
Re: Locate w/o Target 06/10/2019 03:39 PM CDT

You used to be able to cast it without a target and it worked a lot like perceive health or hunt. I don't know if that functionality survived 3.0.
Re: Locate w/o Target 06/11/2019 01:41 PM CDT
Aaaah ok, that makes sense. Fun to know, thank you for clarifying!
Re: Locate w/o Target 06/13/2019 03:31 AM CDT
That effect used to be a separate spell called Scry that was added to the Locate spell (during either the first magic rewrite or early 2000's iirc).

Magic 3.0 planned to separate Scry from Locate, reintroduce the spell and shorten it's range while giving spot effect but Scry 3.0 was never developed/released so we just lost that function of Locate (2013). It probably didn't help that searching a lot of rooms was/is? resource intensive.

I miss the Scry effect because it came in handy during invasions for remotely tracking down targets without the Hunt command's punishing RT; allowing you to retain mobility.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Main_Page