Quick, ask questions 05/22/2019 09:21 PM CDT
I saw Armifer active on the boards so let’s ask a bunch of questions and see if any catch interest/an answer. Lore fishing!

1. Any explanation on uh what’s behind saesordian compass? Pretty creepy and awesome messaging.
2. Any hints on what’s behind the obelisk in the Ilithi mountains with the RTR quest?
3. Any hints on why necromancers and moon mages have obelisks?
4. Anything you want to tell us about the Luethra and/or the City of the Dead? Any links to modern necromancy in Kemoria?
5. What does Karosti really want? And why a shrew as a symbol?
6. What’s the ward in Tezirah’s old place below the Crossing guild?
7. Where’s Tiv?
8. What does the MM guild proper think of this whole Arbiter and trader deal?

Hope not ever to see Heaven. I have come to lead you to the
other shore; into eternal darkness; into fire and into ice. —Inferno
Re: Quick, ask questions 05/22/2019 09:50 PM CDT
>>1. Any explanation on uh what’s behind saesordian compass? Pretty creepy and awesome messaging.

You're invoking the magic of friendship. Sort of.

>>2. Any hints on what’s behind the obelisk in the Ilithi mountains with the RTR quest?

Very similar to #1, only without the friendship.

>>3. Any hints on why necromancers and moon mages have obelisks?

Moon Mages inherited the obelisks (singular now) as the ancient, unspeakably complex devices (singular now) that enable communion with the Plane of Probability. The ancients who built them are lost to history, except for rare artifacts. (I'll just drop a note here that there are three sects who have prehistoric origins: Fortune's Path, the Monks, and the Nomads. This may or may not be a red herring.)

Necromancers have obelisks because what the necromantic obelisks do is related to Lunar magic. The necromantic obelisks are modern constructions.

>>7. Where’s Tiv?

Enjoying solitude at the moment. He may come back someday, or may not. Depends on how he feels.

>>8. What does the MM guild proper think of this whole Arbiter and trader deal?

Unpleasant thoughts, ranging from legitimate concerns of an entire guild falling under the sway of hostile extraplanar forces to less legitimate concerns about brain-drain and competition.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Quick, ask questions 05/22/2019 11:00 PM CDT
Awesome, thank you Armifer.

<<You're invoking the magic of friendship. Sort of.>>

Moon mages, making friends with demons before it was cool.

Along those lines, the Entropy's Glory story with Edward the Exorcist is one of my favorite lore stories and I'm curious how Naming and the power of names might come into the play in the current context of Elanthian demon events. My moon mage is more than a little suspicious of these elementalists, aka Grove Scholars, somehow acting as the knowledge sources on anti-demonology. Edward had a much easier time of it than the march against Maelshyve. Any plans for more development on the naming side of the MM lore?

<<The ancients who built them are lost to history, except for rare artifacts. (I'll just drop a note here that there are three sects who have prehistoric origins: Fortune's Path, the Monks, and the Nomads. This may or may not be a red herring.)>>

I'm going to vote for herring, but an interesting one.

On other questions, in case you feel like weighing in on more:

1. Are we likely to ever see shadow masters again? I know they're essentially pulled from the old Taisgath ground because their skill didn't match the threat they're supposed to be, but man were they cool.

2. From a lore perspective, if not mechanical perspective, how would the rampant use of teleologic sorcery affect a seer's ability to read/receive visions? Given the downside to prophecy related spells, and the natural plane of probability connection (and predictions, mechanically), it seems like RP and lore-wise, a teleologic sorcerer would lose some or most of his/her visionary power as corruption grew.

Re: Quick, ask questions 05/22/2019 11:12 PM CDT
>>Along those lines, the Entropy's Glory story with Edward the Exorcist is one of my favorite lore stories and I'm curious how Naming and the power of names might come into the play in the current context of Elanthian demon events. My moon mage is more than a little suspicious of these elementalists, aka Grove Scholars, somehow acting as the knowledge sources on anti-demonology. Edward had a much easier time of it than the march against Maelshyve. Any plans for more development on the naming side of the MM lore?

Edward did something fundamentally different. He didn't kill Entropy's Glory, he bargained with it. The name obviously is important to Entropy's Glory, perhaps it even does hold some tremendous power over it, but in the story of Edward the Exorcist it was only ever used as a bargaining chip.

I have no immediate plan to expand on naming lore, but I'm not closed to the idea. Of particular interest, we've had the concept of a teleologic spell called Invocation of Names for as long as the book has existed, but I've struggled to think up something suitably awesome yet game-balanced to do with it.

>>1. Are we likely to ever see shadow masters again?

Another "No existing plans, but I'm not against doing it or seeing it done."

>>2. From a lore perspective, if not mechanical perspective, how would the rampant use of teleologic sorcery affect a seer's ability to read/receive visions?

Wibby wobbly. I mean, you could make an argument that it should but the mechanics we use for auto-vision does not allow us to discriminate based on teleologic corruption so I'm disinclined to say ICly it would (since it won't). I could construct arguments either way, though.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Quick, ask questions 05/23/2019 01:08 AM CDT
<<Wibby wobbly. I mean, you could make an argument that it should but the mechanics we use for auto-vision does not allow us to discriminate based on teleologic corruption so I'm disinclined to say ICly it would (since it won't). I could construct arguments either way, though.

That might be something that could be added to the active event prediction system via study sky as a mechanical implementation for the both-sides argument.

Some moon mage "auto-visions" as you put it just nudge the player into the fact that there's a new vision in the event pool for a limited time and require that an event prediction be actively completed in a given time frame to see the vision, while some visions are just pushed to us without needing active participation.

You could consider the ones requiring active participation to be "weaker" prophecies in some way and high corruption could make it so that the necessary step of studying the sky is only ever as effective at gaining insight as a non-corrupted mage is during the day to represent their dulled senses. The visions that are just pumped into us without needing to do a prediction would then be "stronger" prophetic events that are powerful enough that even the teleo user's dulled senses can pick up on.

Effectively this just means that for active event predictions at night a teleo user would need to study the sky about 5-6 times or so before being able to see the vision, while a non-teleo user would only need to study the sky once or twice. It doesn't impact a major system, doesn't lock anyone out of it completely, and adds a small but meaningful differentiation that matches the already existing lore and mechanic of teleo corruption surrounding standard predictions.
Re: Quick, ask questions 05/23/2019 09:40 AM CDT
Interesting. I hadn't thought about the bargain side of what Edward did, but it will be fun to theorize on why knowledge of the name was something concerning to Entropy's Glory/Hunger.

I remember Invocation of Names being mentioned way back when. Something for us to brainstorm about!