Divination Tools Status Update 02/15/2019 04:06 PM CST
I'm happy to see our spells being reviewed and updated, but I was wondering if we could get even just a status update on where divination tools like Tokka Cards are at?
Re: Divination Tools Status Update 02/15/2019 04:12 PM CST
>>I'm happy to see our spells being reviewed and updated, but I was wondering if we could get even just a status update on where divination tools like Tokka Cards are at?

The honest answer is they're not being worked on at the moment, and I don't know when I'll have the time to invest in rewriting bowls and cards. Divination bowls are more likely of the two to get out in a semi-reasonable timeframe, as Tokka cards were a very complex system.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Divination Tools Status Update 02/15/2019 05:43 PM CST
>The honest answer is they're not being worked on at the moment, and I don't know when I'll have the time to invest in rewriting bowls and cards. Divination bowls are more likely of the two to get out in a semi-reasonable timeframe, as Tokka cards were a very complex system.

Thank you for that honest reply, Armifer.

Something else I'm still wondering is Raesh had mentioned that when the sects were rewritten, he was leaning toward allowing a one-time sect change:

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Moon%20Mages/The%20Moon%20Mage%20Sects/view/694

My guess is with GM bandwidth being so limited, a sect rewrite will most likely never happen. I'm not trying to be critical at all, just realistic. So instead, is the sect change still a possibility? It seems like something that could be done easier and sooner at least. I would definitely vote for that rather than wait even more years for my sect tool to be released.

~ Vanxa

You see Grazhir cracking open in one sharp movement.
The World Dragon emerges, roaring soundlessly.
It moves to sear Katamba to a lifeless black.
You see the night sky, filled with stars.
Re: Divination Tools Status Update 02/15/2019 06:04 PM CST
Yes, thank you for the honest (and quick) response! It's a little disappointing, but it makes it easier to let them go. I appreciate that.

I'm still happy for everything else that's being done!
Re: Divination Tools Status Update 02/15/2019 06:09 PM CST
as an aside: any thoughts on making some non-divination Tokka cards that are just verby toys? I'm more than happy to give ideas!
Re: Divination Tools Status Update 02/15/2019 07:31 PM CST
Appreciate that answer too, good to know on tokka.

Moon Mages are totally Jedi. -Raesh
Re: Divination Tools Status Update 02/17/2019 11:19 AM CST
Sorry for the double post, but for future reference, I wanted to explain briefly why I liked the tokka card system so much (and hope it comes back in a similar form).

It's very neat the deck can be modified with custom cards and the ways inflection of meaning can be read into the different cards, their order, and their positioning. The complexity of it is exactly what made it really fun to use as an RP tool. I met Mistanna (now a very great mentor!) for the first time when she was just a newb and my MM was doing "cold readings" with a tokka deck. It was damn hard to translate those cards on the fly! But very fun and perfectly designed for that type of thing.

It's one of those neat tools in DR that facilitates RP beyond the usual questions of "how well does this teach" and "how powerful is it" and I hope that's preserved down the road when its ultimately revisited.

Re: Divination Tools Status Update 02/17/2019 08:18 PM CST
>as an aside: any thoughts on making some non-divination Tokka cards that are just verby toys? I'm more than happy to give ideas!

You can still buy decks in the Tokka Painter's Hut on Taisgath. Obviously, they're unconverted.

https://elanthipedia.play.net/Tokka_Painter%27s_Hut

~ Vanxa

Re: Divination Tools Status Update 02/17/2019 08:21 PM CST
Good idea! Cold read decks would be awesome if it’s the prediction hook that’s the complex part.

Re: Divination Tools Status Update 02/18/2019 12:56 PM CST
> You can still buy decks in the Tokka Painter's Hut on Taisgath. Obviously, they're unconverted.

I have one, but they have absolutely no functionality at all. Not even like they were before they were released as a divination tool where you could at least shuffle the deck and flip cards from it.

Just to make sure I wasn't mistaken I tested it out

> get dec

You get a blue and silver Tokka deck from its place on a square maple table.

> shuffle deck
[This type of prediction tool has been disabled for the 3.0 conversion. Apologies for the inconvenience, it will function once the update is complete.]
You can't shuffle that!
> turn deck
[This type of prediction tool has been disabled for the 3.0 conversion. Apologies for the inconvenience, it will function once the update is complete.]
You attempt to turn a blue and silver Tokka deck, but that doesn't seem to do much.
> pull deck
I'm afraid that you can't pull that.
> study deck
You carefully examine a blue and silver Tokka deck, but see nothing special.
> shake deck
You shake your Tokka deck.
> deal deck
You can't deal that.
> put deck on table

You put a blue and silver Tokka deck on the table.
Re: Divination Tools Status Update 02/18/2019 03:59 PM CST
Yep, I'm aware. In my post, when I mentioned they're unconverted, I was pointing out that they have absolutely no functionality at all. We're saying the same thing in two different ways. We knew they wouldn't work. That's why all these bowls and Tokka posts over the years.

Working Tokka decks (and verby toys like you suggested) don't exist at the moment. Until that changes, I only mentioned the decks on Taisgath because they can be used for RP purposes, which is really what it sounded like you wanted. It was the best idea I could think of for you in the current situation.

I don't want to be a wet blanket here, but if there are any GM resources that could be used toward any kind of tool development, I would vote instead for them being applied to completing tool conversion and not on some temporary fix. But that's just my way of seeing it.

~ Vanxa

Re: Divination Tools Status Update 02/19/2019 06:58 AM CST
Ah I see what you mean.

And mostly I agree. My thought on asking about a toy is that I expect (I could be wrong) it takes significantly less code / knowledge of the code base and could possibly be a short and quick task, perhaps maybe something for one of the newer GMs to get into. In theory (because I'm speaking without knowing what goes on under the hood), simple item creation as opposed to development of an ability system.

Like I said, though - I'm thankful for the attention we're getting. I don't want to seem ungrateful. If it would take the attention of Armifer or Javac to do something like that, then I agree wholeheartedly - I'd much rather not add to their already sizable queue of projects. But if someone were, say, designing a new merchant for Guildfest and looking for suggestions/requests for some guild themed toys, then it's not additional time taken from the Dev team.

So I just want to reiterate my thanks and appreciation for the spell updates and new metaspell.