Spell Conditional Casting - other options? 10/21/2018 01:12 PM CDT

A number of our spells/abilties have conditional requirements that must be met in order to be cast. Some of them are dependent upon moons being up, others on if the sun is out or not. This has trickled into trader spells as well, such as Avren Aevareae. I'd like to propose an alternative to the moon issue - instead of it being a pass/fail, perhaps have it instead affect potency or mana efficiency. For example:

Say you want to cast Burn. Turns out there are:

3 moons up - 110% potency (not to exceed caps) OR 10% reduction in mana spent
2 moons up - 103% potency (not to exceed caps) OR 5% reduction in mana spent
1 moon up - 97% potency OR 0% reduction in mana spent
0 moons up - 85% potency OR 15% increase in mana spent

Options like the above would help some of the issues that moon mages struggle with in regards to situations not just being 'optimal', but usable in general. Perhaps tie it into an event where moon mages have figured out how to deploy satellites in order to keep a consistent stream of moonlight available for their spells - but due to their distance from the caster it now affects how potent or mana efficient their spells are. This would trickle over into other lunar spells as well - such as previously mentioned Avren Aevareae, and any other planned/future spells.

Lunar users would still have to struggle with prediction options, SLS viability (though an alternative to that [via metaspell?] would be nice), starlight aura, etc.
Re: Spell Conditional Casting - other options? 10/22/2018 03:09 PM CDT
This sounds like this would effectively eliminate Rogue Moongates and the chance of death on teleportation boxes.

Alternatively, a personal Lunar power source that makes it act like the respective moon is up for you? (Cooldown based)

"I, for one, think it's nice to have new folks who are excited and already care enough about the game to offer suggestions. We need more of that." -Solomon

Thanks for being in my corner Solomon, come back soon.
Re: Spell Conditional Casting - other options? 10/22/2018 05:37 PM CDT
<<Alternatively, a personal Lunar power source that makes it act like the respective moon is up for you? (Cooldown based)>>

Enchanting!

~Kehlbins
Re: Spell Conditional Casting - other options? 11/15/2018 09:23 PM CST

Lunar power source that isn't tied to MT would also work.

That being said, moons being up for FM, Teleport, MG, and teleport boxes could still be a hard requirement for those to work while the other spells work as proposed above.
Re: Spell Conditional Casting - other options? 11/15/2018 10:04 PM CST

Personally, I think moons shouldn't be a requirement for any spell. Instead, it should be like elemental affinity for warrior mages. Every spell is given a moon affinity. If you have direct line of sight to that moon, you get a benefit with easier to cast spells. If you don't, they're harder, but it's still possible with a bit of skill.