Sects and Teleologic Sorcery 03/18/2018 11:27 AM CDT
How do the other sects view teleologic sorcery? Officially and unofficially.
Re: Sects and Teleologic Sorcery 03/18/2018 06:57 PM CDT
To my knowledge there are no resources like sect "press releases" indicating their official IC views on Teleological Sorcery. As a more general view, Teleological sorcery is supposed to be a dangerous branch of research into Fate on top of sorcery in general being frowned upon. Therefore, a sect's view of it will probably reflect how entrenched in power they are, and how important maintaining an orderly outward appearance in front of other guilds - and the status quo - would be to them. My take on them:

Celestial Compact, Heritage House: Against.

Nomads, Monks: Isolated and lacking centralized power structures. Your character's own personal beliefs would probably dictate it (i.e. could see a Nomad considering it a perversion of nature, or just considering it an extension of their long traditions into Fate manipulation)

Gnar Peth, Progeny, Fortune's Path: Outwardly against, enthusiastically for behind closed doors.

For all of them, I would place more importance on your character's personal opinions on sorcery and potentially dangerous magic than trying to follow your sect.
Re: Sects and Teleologic Sorcery 03/18/2018 09:04 PM CDT

It's more curiosity than anything else. Considering how much value the G'nar Pethians place on the 'sight' of the Seer I find it difficult to believe they would willing blind (hee) themselves to their prophetic connection.
Re: Sects and Teleologic Sorcery 03/18/2018 09:16 PM CDT
>It's more curiosity than anything else. Considering how much value the G'nar Pethians place on the 'sight' of the Seer I find it difficult to believe they would willing blind (hee) themselves to their prophetic connection.

It could be argued that it's not so much blindness as theoretical, instant power of connection in return for a weakening of future connection, and an arrogant mage could easily fall into the classic druggy trap of thinking they are always in control.

That's the catch-all of Teleological rp though, it's not as universally reviled as something like Necromancy, so you have a wide berth to define your personal roleplay.
Re: Sects and Teleologic Sorcery 03/18/2018 09:48 PM CDT
The Moon Mage Guild is not a nice organization, and the last time anyone of authority spoke of it the message can be summarized as "we don't care if you do it, as long as you do it discretely."

You could make cases for and against within the mindset of any sect. But broadly speaking the Progeny would probably be the most lenient about it and the Nomads the most uniformly against. The Monks, G'nar Pethians and Fateweavers all have significant divisions within their ideologies that make it impossible to really say they're one way or the other. The Celestians and Heritage Keepers are near-hegemonic within the guild and have no special variation on the topic.

But yeah, there's no sect that is universally for or universally against, and the guild itself won't self-police unless an individual makes such a public nuisance of themself that it becomes politically expedient for the guild to throw them under a cart.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Sects and Teleologic Sorcery 03/20/2018 12:08 AM CDT
Despite being the creators, or at least building on spell patterns and theories that existed in other forms, how do the Children perceive it? Karosti appears to utilize it as a means to an end. An organization that stands opposite of what is a fairly brutal collective of magic users (in terms of refusing to acknowledge the responsibility of the burden of the power they have and the consequences of what happened to grasp that power), they've targeted the leadership and infrastructure more than anything else. Not that they have noble intentions but it appears that Karosti is possessed of some sort of knowledge that the Guild is keeping secret (more profound or damaging than the average mass grave of concealed knowledge they have).

I've always been amused by Rietyl's signing of the Accord as the 'Nameless One'. It's probably just coincidence and play on the nameless oracle trope but in the original Shadow World lore the 'Nameless One' was a prophet who arrived to announce particular devastating calamities. I like to take his signing of the Accord as the beginning of events that herald Bad Things Hitting The Planar Fan.
Re: Sects and Teleologic Sorcery 03/21/2018 10:54 AM CDT
I for one, cannot wait for another planar catastrophic event or a new or old entity returning. Shadow master invasion seems like a good start. Aaoskar had the idea about making corruption from predictions, astral travel and casting teleologic sorcery ramp up until you triggered something. I like the idea of a shadow creature hit squad coming after a certain point that may or may not be able to be killed by the PC and a random bad luck chance the pelag shows up and drags you directly into the expanse.

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"

Re: Sects and Teleologic Sorcery 11/27/2018 06:43 PM CST

As a monk, I feel that it's just another thing to master, using my inner power and balance. It's a thing that exists in the universe, so it follows that it must be valid.
Re: Sects and Teleologic Sorcery 11/30/2018 10:26 AM CST
As a Fateweaver, I feel it gives me a more direct hand in the weaving of Fate. I'm not just nudging it in the direction I want, I'm designing it.
Re: Sects and Teleologic Sorcery 11/30/2018 04:06 PM CST
Armifer mentioned in the post regarding the G'nar Peth easter eggs, that the current members are only connected to the originals through a sort of Hermetic philosophy. I wonder how this works in relation to all the other less mysterious sects, and how they currently line up compared to their founding members.

With changing and evolving philosophy that is the result of progress and the new generations of moon mages filling the ranks there has to be a sort of blending and watering down that is happening to every sect. Each of them losing themselves as they become one. The Heritage House and the accord keepers, were created as an attempt to regain and maintain the histories of each sect to prevent them from being lost.

And again as Armifer pointed out, the moon mage organization is not a nice one. With the guild's don't look and don't tell attitude towards sorcery and peeking back at the history books starting with the Obelisk Builder's it's easy to see history repeating itself again. Is there currently any sect left that hasn't been changed by the Lunar Accord? And is there one that is totally anti sorcery even behind warded doors?

"An' I'm learnin' 'ere in London what the ten-year soldier tells; If you've 'eard the East a-callin', you won't never 'eed naught else. No! you won't 'eed nothin' else"

Re: Sects and Teleologic Sorcery 11/30/2018 05:41 PM CST
>>I wonder how this works in relation to all the other less mysterious sects, and how they currently line up compared to their founding members.

For what it's worth, only the G'nar Pethians have the historical drift as a central feature in their identity. There's a few other cases of sects changing with the times (very much the Nomads), but that's not quite the same mysterious, occult history thing going on fiction wise.

-Armifer
"Perinthia's astronomers are faced with a difficult choice. Either they must admit that all their calculations were wrong ... or else they must reveal that the order of the gods is reflected exactly in the city of monsters." - Italo Calvino
Re: Sects and Teleologic Sorcery 11/30/2018 06:23 PM CST
<<Each of them losing themselves as they become one.>>

What makes you think it's that and not growing apart? Just curious.

Moon Mages are totally Jedi. -Raesh
Re: Sects and Teleologic Sorcery 11/30/2018 07:03 PM CST
>>What makes you think it's that and not growing apart? Just curious.

Just a guess really. Like cultures in real life with a lot of diverse groups in one place, like in New Orleans and other southern cities you see a melding in food, music etc

>>For what it's worth, only the G'nar Pethians have the historical drift as a central feature in their identity. There's a few other cases of sects changing with the times (very much the Nomads), but that's not quite the same mysterious, occult history thing going on fiction wise.

Thanks for the insight. I wonder if there are any lost Crystal Hand monasteries or maybe fortune's path rovers left un-touched by the lunar accord