Stealth & Locate Immunity 08/04/2015 01:01 AM CDT

Hiya,

Figure I would bring this up since maybe it's not well known anymore. Having stealth over 600 makes you immune to locate, regardless of player skill, if you are hiding/invis. I'd like to see this changed, or at least made into a fair contest.

What brings this up? Well a certain thief killed a bunch of people at the warrior mage guild with a trap. I'd like to hunt him down but he's immune to locate until he chooses not to be. This would also work in the GMs favor, players could seek vengeance, and the dying could stop assisting/reporting. I saw one assist during the process and probably a few reports.

This could be an interesting addition to piercing gaze. CV + PG lets you see hidden people. Or it could be a magic vs stealth contest, or however you put it.

Either way, I believe the locate immunity with 600 stealth should go. If you want locate immunity, I think there should be some sort of choice. Sit in a locate immunity room, area, house, use spells, abilities etc. Not simply "hide", eotb, khri invis, rf, sov, etc, etc.

Thanks for reading.
Re: Stealth & Locate Immunity 08/04/2015 01:11 AM CDT
>>Figure I would bring this up since maybe it's not well known anymore. Having stealth over 600 makes you immune to locate, regardless of player skill, if you are hiding/invis.

This is not true. At no level of stealth skill are you ever immune to locate.

>>Sit in a locate immunity room, area, house, use spells, abilities etc. Not simply "hide", eotb, khri invis, rf, sov, etc, etc.

??

-Raesh

"The trouble with atheism, is that it offers a limited range of curses.” - Two Serpents Rise
Re: Stealth & Locate Immunity 08/04/2015 02:23 AM CDT
>> This is not true. At no level of stealth skill are you ever immune to locate.

This is a well known bug. It's been around forever. Are you sure?

>>Sit in a locate immunity room, area, house, use spells, abilities etc. Not simply "hide", eotb, khri invis, rf, sov, etc, etc.

Swan, shear, sanctuary. A few more maybe?
Re: Stealth & Locate Immunity 08/04/2015 02:43 AM CDT
>>This is a well known bug. It's been around forever. Are you sure?

Yes.

>cast mui
You gesture.
You contribute your harnessed streams to increase the pattern's potential.
[The Crossing, Town Green North]
A small path of bent grass leads to a narrow stretch of cobblestones between the grass and the privet hedge that stands before Milgrym the Weaponsmith's. The town's main source of serviceable arms, Milgrym does a good trade and has a solid reputation. The stream of customers, though steady, seems careful not to disturb the usual tranquility of the facing greensward. You also see a butterfly, a scrawny newsboy, a public listings board and the town green pond.
Also here: (Mui who is hiding).
Obvious paths: north, east, southeast, south, southwest, west.

(Note: I change perspective here)
You get an odd feeling that someone is watching you. It quickly passes.
H>
H>exp stealth

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate fraction
Stealth: 601 00.00% clear (0/34)

-Raesh

"The trouble with atheism, is that it offers a limited range of curses.” - Two Serpents Rise
Re: Stealth & Locate Immunity 08/04/2015 02:46 AM CDT

>> Yes.

I meant 602. :(
Re: Stealth & Locate Immunity 08/04/2015 02:48 AM CDT

>> Yes.

Any chance you can discuss the contest ?
Re: Stealth & Locate Immunity 08/04/2015 02:48 AM CDT
... and before you ask:

>cast mui
You gesture.
A small path of bent grass leads to a narrow stretch of cobblestones between the grass and the privet hedge that stands before Milgrym the Weaponsmith's. The town's main source of serviceable arms, Milgrym does a good trade and has a solid reputation. The stream of customers, though steady, seems careful not to disturb the usual tranquility of the facing greensward. You also see a scrawny newsboy, a public listings board and the town green pond.
Also here: {Mui who is hiding}.

(Again, we change perspective to Mui)
IH>rel rf
The refractive field surrounding you fades away.
H>unhide
You come out of hiding.

-Raesh

Re: Stealth & Locate Immunity 08/04/2015 02:52 AM CDT
>>I meant 602. :(

>cast mui
You gesture.
A small path of bent grass leads to a narrow stretch of cobblestones between the grass and the privet hedge that stands before Milgrym the Weaponsmith's. The town's main source of serviceable arms, Milgrym does a good trade and has a solid reputation. The stream of customers, though steady, seems careful not to disturb the usual tranquility of the facing greensward. You also see a scrawny newsboy, a public listings board and the town green pond.
Also here: {Mui who is hiding}.

(Again, we switch to Mui)
IH>exp stealth

SKILL: Rank/Percent towards next rank/Amount learning/Mindstate fraction
Stealth: 1000 00.00% clear (0/34)

Time Development Points: 3442 Favors: 9 Deaths: 179 Departs: 7
Overall state of mind: clear
EXP HELP for more information
IH>rel rf
The refractive field surrounding you fades away.
H>unhide
You come out of hiding.

>>Any chance you can discuss the contest ?

Perc vs stealth. There's a fairly simple way to get a large bonus to either side of the contest.

-Raesh

Re: Stealth & Locate Immunity 08/04/2015 02:53 AM CDT
>> Perc vs stealth. There's a fairly simple way to get a large bonus to either side of the contest.

Does...does WATCH work?

Indoor/outdoor?

Thayet
Twitter: @thayelf
Tumblr: thayette.tumblr.com
Re: Stealth & Locate Immunity 08/04/2015 02:56 AM CDT

>>Any chance you can discuss the contest ?

>>>> Perc vs stealth. There's a fairly simple way to get a large bonus to either side of the contest.

Damn. I'm definitely wrong! Was it ever 600 or am I just going crazy?
Re: Stealth & Locate Immunity 08/04/2015 03:01 AM CDT
>>Does...does WATCH work?
>>Indoor/outdoor?

Naw. It's a moon mage spell.

I'll go ahead and say invisibility is a hefty bonus to the hiding side - I think that's fairly obvious.

>>Was it ever 600 or am I just going crazy?

Given the amount of energy I'm willing to invest in this I can safely say that hasn't been try since at least 2008, 2000 with fairly high confidence. Beyond that would be pure speculation.

The contest was magic (instead of perception based) in 2.1 and notably more weighted towards the caster.

-Raesh

Re: Stealth & Locate Immunity 08/04/2015 03:13 AM CDT

>> Given the amount of energy I'm willing to invest in this I can safely say that hasn't been try since at least 2008, 2000 with fairly high confidence. Beyond that would be pure speculation.

>> The contest was magic (instead of perception based) in 2.1 and notably more weighted towards the caster.

So basically Stealth (plus stealth flavor boost, plus invis stealth boost) vs Perception (with CV boost.) Doubt we'll ever win that contest. :P

Thank you very much. I appreciate you looking into this.
Re: Stealth & Locate Immunity 08/04/2015 03:29 AM CDT
>>Stealth (plus stealth flavor boost, plus invis stealth boost) vs Perception (with CV boost.)

That's not what I said.

Also note that I'm 100% okay with invisibility being an effective, though not full proof, way to avoid location.

That makes sense and there are TONS of ways to avoid location if you so choose that aren't skill based, none of which are going away any time soon.

-Raesh

Re: Stealth & Locate Immunity 08/04/2015 10:19 AM CDT

>> That makes sense and there are TONS of ways to avoid location if you so choose that aren't skill based, none of which are going away any time soon.

True enough.
Re: Stealth & Locate Immunity 08/07/2015 10:29 AM CDT
FWIW The thief could have just been using the Khri Skulk combo