How Do I Level Up Utility and Warding with No Spells in Those Categories. 10/01/2016 03:55 PM CDT
Hi, I'm a moon mage and I have been struck on circle 1 for a while because I cannot figure this out.
If you have had this problem before and figured out what to do your help would be greatly appreciated.
Re: How Do I Level Up Utility and Warding with No Spells in Those Categories. 10/01/2016 04:01 PM CDT
Listening to classes on those might be your best bet to learn magics that you don't have spells for, but unless epedia is wrong (https://elanthipedia.play.net/Moon_Mage#Circle_Requirements) you don't explicitly need Utility and Warding. You just need to train four magics (three for your first circle).

This means to move from circle 1 to 2, you can use arcana, attunement, and whatever the first magic type you select is. You can also use sorcery by focusing on runestones that aren't your magic type.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: How Do I Level Up Utility and Warding with No Spells in Those Categories. 10/01/2016 06:50 PM CDT

You only need four magics for level 2. The first two need to be 8, the second 6 and 4 respectively.

Two of those should be arcana and attunement.

- Attunement you'll get passively by casting spells, but you can work it by perceiving the different moons and magic types. You can also harness mana right before your cast.
- For arcana, I recommend focusing on a runestone. Grabbing an elemental rune is best. This will also give you sorcery, which moon mages can use to level. It's a good idea to do this early on because you don't have the spells yet.
- The third should be the spell you picked up. That's augmentation for shadows or clear vision (highly recommend shadows), or TM for telekentic throw.
- You don't need to worry about a fourth if you're using runes to work arcana. that'll train really well for the first few levels, and you'll pick up spells to train the rest later on.

If you don't want sorcery, then you have a few other options.
- Burden scroll to learn debilitation while working targeted magic (or not). That's a few gold in the magic shop in town.
- Lay ward (~20 arcana/scholarship, I believe) will teach you warding. Also a few gold in the magic shop.
- Classes, as others have mentioned.

Note that you can pick up focus moonbeam at 2nd circle (assuming you have shadows) which will solve the utility problem early on. It's limited to when the moons are up, but you'll want to pick up piercing gaze early. It's critical for low-level astrology training.
Re: How Do I Level Up Utility and Warding with No Spells in Those Categories. 10/01/2016 09:20 PM CDT
>>For arcana, I recommend focusing on a runestone. Grabbing an elemental rune is best. This will also give you sorcery, which moon mages can use to level.

Just a note: Lore-wise, sorcery of any kind is considered dangerous and is illegal. The general populace consider it bad and will react to evidence of it in a similar way to Necromancy (largely because they can't tell the difference). Many PCs don't react this way but it is the background lore of the game.

Your character will not be harmed by focusing on runestones, but if you continue to pursue sorcery and end up casting spells not of your realm, you risk harming yourself and getting the aforementioned reactions of "Burn him/her!" if done in justice areas. Mechanically this can get you locked out of town services (e.g. bank and vault) for a time.

You can certainly do it, just be aware of the lore and potential consequences. :)

- Navesi
Re: How Do I Level Up Utility and Warding with No Spells in Those Categories. 10/02/2016 08:00 AM CDT
Navesi has a good point. Whether you peruse sorcery or not, it's still an easy means of leveling to the point that you can cast more spells. I highly recommend using the runestone method now. If you want to peruse it later, then you can cast it without social consequences outside of Justice areas (type justice). It can still kill you, but it also opens up avenues and buffs you otherwise wouldn't have (such as defending).