Re: First debilitation spell? 10/22/2014 06:48 PM CDT
I know you deleted your post/question, but I spent quite a while typing out a long response to it only to discover it had been deleted while typing it out... so you're getting it anyway! :p

<<So I'm a newbie Moon Mage. I've gotten the CV, PG, Shadows, FM, and DO spells. So I've got every skill covered except Debilitation. I was thinking about getting Dazzle but I could also get Calm. I don't know which is better for training Debilitation. Any suggestions between those two? Or possibly something else entirely.

For the two you specifically asked about:

Calm
This can be horrible for teaching debilitation because the creatures often leave the room while under its effects, although you can counter it by immediately attacking the creature you just calmed. It is indispensible as a pre-req for important spells later on, so I recommend getting it now and dealing with the training issues until you can get a better disabler. I.e. Sleep and eventually Mental Blast and Mind Shout.

Dazzle
This teaches well... when it is available. It requires the sun, Yavash, or Xibar in the sky, but the greater restriction is it cannot be cast when indoors without a window. It's not a bad spell at all, but I chose not to learn it for the time being because I can use DO as a prerequisite for the same spells and our other disablers have less restrictions on their use.

Other options you might consider instead:

Rend
Rend is a very easy to use trainer of Debilitation, because it doesn't have a duration and can be repeatedly spammed on the same creature for full experience. The downside is that the effect is highly situational (i.e. mostly PvP) so you won't actually be getting a functional use out of your disabling most of the time.

Sleep
This is my default disabler for when better options are not viable. It has no restrictions on casting and I have yet to find a creature immune to it, although I'm sure there are some that exist. It is almost as easy to use as Rend for gaining experience, but because it does have a short duration you might have to FACE NEXT or attack between casts to break the effect if you want to spam it.

Burden
An Analogous Patterns spell. Completely useless at training debilitation unless you alternate it with casts of Dispel or Rend due to its very long duration. If you know Rend already then this is pointless, and it's not worth spending the extra slots on Dispel just to be able to train with it. The effect itself isn't overly impressive either. Pass on this spell completely.

Debilitation spells that will not benefit you now but you should eventually get:

Hypnotize
Nothing to add about training here that is different from the base Calm spell. A must have as a pre-req for the following two spells.

Mental Blast
This is the best single target disabler we have, but you won't be using it for a long time. The only major downsides are that there are quite a few stun immune creatures, and it can be pretty mana intensive. Stun immune creatures can usually still be slept, so it's still of use against them if you can cast it with enough strength to get the higher success that sleep requires. And I just switch to Sleep on low mana days. It teaches better than Sleep, so I use this unless stymied by mana or immunities.

Mind Shout
This is the best Debilitation trainer we have. Multiple targets means lots of EXP per cast. It requires moons, however, so it is not always available. And unlike Mental Blast, this spell only stuns so stun immune creatures are completely immune to it. This is my go to debilitation otherwise. If I can't use this then I use either Mental Blast or Sleep depending on the current restrictions.

I won't cover the sorceries, since I don't have a lot of practical knowledge of them and using them is more involved of a decision than just 'which disabler do I use?'

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators

Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: First debilitation spell? 10/22/2014 07:10 PM CDT
> I know you deleted your post/question, but I spent quite a while typing out a long response to it only to discover it had been deleted while typing it out... so you're getting it anyway! :p

As a new moon mage, that was extremely helpful. Not to be greedy, but I'd love a similar write up on TM spells.. and now that I am typing this, any other spells that are not obviously helpful when looking at Elanthipedia would be awesome.
Re: First debilitation spell? 10/22/2014 07:36 PM CDT
<<As a new moon mage, that was extremely helpful. Not to be greedy, but I'd love a similar write up on TM spells.. and now that I am typing this, any other spells that are not obviously helpful when looking at Elanthipedia would be awesome.

There was a recent TM feedback post, so I'll just paste my response from there here. I think I was around circle 60 or so at the time of the post to give an idea of ranks. Other types of spells will have to wait as I'm heading out the door very soon.
Original thread: http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Moon%20Mages/The%20Lunar%20Magic%20Spell%20Books/thread/1647545?get_newest=true

Partial Displacement/Dinazen Olkar (A-) - Aside from requirements and damage type, these are the same spell so I'll discuss them together. Having one of them is a must have because they have zero restrictions and are low cost, but both is a redundancy. Because of the way requirements are, they're both completely optional picks with the decision which coming down to the other half of the option (WD and Dazzle) and personal style. I personally think these spells are in a good place, and especially useful for low to mid level characters before the other spells are sustainably frequently cast. Most of its score is because it has zero restrictions. My personal choice was to skip PD since I want WD anyway and take DO since I'm skipping Dazzle for the time being. I also prefer the idea of a shadowy attack as opposed to melting someone's insides.

Burn (C) - I like this spell. I do. It lets me hit things I otherwise would not be able to. E.g. in Beyond the Barrier there was a group of undead I could barely dance with so I needed to use WD to stay back, but I couldn't hit at all with TM... until I pulled out Burn. That said, it is relatively mana intensive to use as a spam attack for training, there's quite a few restrictions on casting (needing outdoors is the most commonly encountered, although no moons at night has occurred occasionally,) and most times I don't need the extra accuracy from DFA anyway so it's just easier to use another TM instead. I consider it a useful tool that gets pulled out only occasionally. Short version: useful during quests and invasions, but gets largely ignored otherwise.

TKT (B) - Basically the same as DO/PD but with restrictions and built in damage variation. This is the spell I want to cast all the time, but don't because the micromanagement is a bit too much for my lazy factor to overcome all the time. Part of the reason for that is I primarily use slivers instead of random objects, so I am at the whims of the moons. The other part, however, is simply that creating a lot of slivers is still quite mana intensive for me, something which I'll grow out of eventually but for now acts as a limiting factor. I've tried using objects on the ground, and while it is waaaay easier now with the updates is still a bit of a pain to deal with given the janitor mechanics - both system called and self called. I'm still experimenting with ammunition to find an easy option. I suspect I will get a stack of storebought arrows or bolts and use them one at a time since they aren't destroyed by the attack, easily obtained, and easily stocked in large numbers.

TKS (B+) - Same ammunition concerns as TKT. This spell is fun and one I would use the most except that it is very mana intensive. I assume I will grow into it. Right now even a minimum prep eats about 20% of my attunement. Gets a '+' because of the AoE, learning potential, and its uniqueness in our spellbook.

SLS (C) - I like the idea of this spell so much. I can't use it effectively, however, even at minimum mana yet. I suppose I'll grow into it, but wow this thing sucks attunement dry fast. I only stand a chance when mana levels are high and I forgo all other casting while it's running. I tried using it during Beyond the Barrier and stuff died so fast the sphere didn't even reach a target let alone attack. Only on the bosses did it manage to actually do anything, but it drained my mana so fast it wasn't worth the cost of running it. Maybe ask me again in a few years when I have the skill to effectively use this and the score will be a B instead.

Strange Arrow (D-) - This spell is beyond redundant. We have two native spells that do exactly the same thing with different messaging and slightly different messaging. It doesn't get an F only because it is not a bad spell, it is just pointless.

Re: First debilitation spell? 11/09/2014 04:03 PM CST
A caution though needs to be said about mind shout. Keep track of your moonbeams or else you will end up stunning people at the empath guild. At least, I have done that a few times when I've been lazy and didnt think to recast focus moonbeam.
Re: First debilitation spell? 07/08/2015 11:25 PM CDT

I am HUGELY disappointed by the state of the Moon Mage spell book. I just came back after a years-long break and was excited to get another Moon Mage training, but now I'm really thinking it's not worth.

1) Calm and Hypnotize - Once the same spell with a tiered function based on power, now a 2-spell redundancy with no effective difference, pointlessly eating up spell slots.

2) Sleep and Mental Blast - Exactly the same thing that happened to Hypnotize. 1 spell, tiered functions...this functional redundancy superbly unimaginative and wasteful. It irks me to no end. Make new spells, don't break old ones up into components that both have the same effect where playability is concerned. Arg, why!?

3) DO was underpowered with promised upcoming buffs when I left. PD was still on the Planned Spell list. I was excited to no end to see where the GMs would go with both of these spells. This is like expecting an icy cold drink of water on a hot summer day and finding tepid pond water in your cup instead. Again, extremely disappointed in the lack of creativity here.

4) Burn was once the "signature" spell of the combat moonie. Combined with a max-tiered Mind Blast, it was the paper tiger essence of pure maging. It sounds as if it has been nerfed by red tape. Again, disappointed.

5) TKT - this had always been the standard TM trainer and quick-response snapcast for the Moonie imperiled (TKS was scroll only). They seem to have done the right thing here by largely leaving TKT alone and putting TKS in the spellbook.

6) SLS - This was a brand new release when I left. A very potent, long-duration spell that was excellent for training higher level mages while hunting, but was really nothing more than a stand-off threat in PVP because your opponent could keep retreating from it and it's attack pulses were rather slow. I am disappointed to see the same red tape that crippled Burn applied to a PVE trainer spell.

7) Strange Arrow - this one sounds new to me but is apparently, once again, a redundant waste of spell slots that lacks any creative insight.

8) Dazzle - another seriously underpowered spell with promised revisions. In my time, it was nothing more than a spammable annoyance that cost the enemy a mere 3 second roundtime with no other real effect, both PVE and PVP. I guess the "buff" it finally received was to at least make it teach magic. Once again, bland and unimaginative.

I'm hoping you can tell me something about this guild that can convince me not to immediately reroll my new young Moonie. I loved this guild for it's odd-ball character and unique play style, but from what I'm seeing here it has been massively nerfed along with increased costs, it's quirky character replaced by dull redundancy and frustrating restrictions.

Remaining hopeful,

Gnoxic
Re: First debilitation spell? 07/08/2015 11:44 PM CDT
<<1) Calm and Hypnotize - Once the same spell with a tiered function based on power, now a 2-spell redundancy with no effective difference, pointlessly eating up spell slots.

The tiered effect was a pain to use and the hypnotize portion of the spell could only be done during part of the duration. It now works better than before. Also, slots do not have the same weighting now compared to before. Previously it was a single slot (as were all spells) and now it costs two slots for both effects which is the same weight as a single slot before. I.e. there's no loss of anything here and an improvement in functionality.

<<2) Sleep and Mental Blast - Exactly the same thing that happened to Hypnotize. 1 spell, tiered functions...this functional redundancy superbly unimaginative and wasteful. It irks me to no end. Make new spells, don't break old ones up into components that both have the same effect where playability is concerned. Arg, why!?

Mental Blast has not lost anything. It is still tiered, causing Stuns on a less than full success and Sleep on a full success as well as nerve damage on any level of success and potentially causing them to drop their weapons. In fact, it's actually better than before since it only needs a single cast in order to sleep instead of requiring two.

Sleep is an additional sleep effect for when you just want the ability to sleep something without the high mana cost of mental blast. It didn't take anything away from Mental Blast at all.

<<3) DO was underpowered with promised upcoming buffs when I left. PD was still on the Planned Spell list. I was excited to no end to see where the GMs would go with both of these spells. This is like expecting an icy cold drink of water on a hot summer day and finding tepid pond water in your cup instead. Again, extremely disappointed in the lack of creativity here.

All TM is like this now, not just for Moon Mages, and particularly the single target spells. They are aware of it, and giving TM more variety is one of the big projects they are working on.

<<4) Burn was once the "signature" spell of the combat moonie. Combined with a max-tiered Mind Blast, it was the paper tiger essence of pure maging. It sounds as if it has been nerfed by red tape. Again, disappointed.

Burn is still our hardest hitting spell when used in the right situation. It's just less of an "I win" button and requires knowing the situation to use it in.

<<5) TKT - this had always been the standard TM trainer and quick-response snapcast for the Moonie imperiled (TKS was scroll only). They seem to have done the right thing here by largely leaving TKT alone and putting TKS in the spellbook.

TKT is actually better now because you can alter the damage types based on moon slivers. TKS in its current incarnation is one of the very few AoE multi-strike spells, and is indeed one of our best killing spells in PvE.

<<6) SLS - This was a brand new release when I left. A very potent, long-duration spell that was excellent for training higher level mages while hunting, but was really nothing more than a stand-off threat in PVP because your opponent could keep retreating from it and it's attack pulses were rather slow. I am disappointed to see the same red tape that crippled Burn applied to a PVE trainer spell.

You must of missed the time when SLS was the premiere pvp spell. Nowadays, SLS is great to use once you overcome the steep learning curve on how to use it effectively in PvE. It will burn (chill?) through enemies very quickly.

<<7) Strange Arrow - this one sounds new to me but is apparently, once again, a redundant waste of spell slots that lacks any creative insight.

See #3. Also, no one really uses this spell, except maybe Paladins and Necromancers.

<<8) Dazzle - another seriously underpowered spell with promised revisions. In my time, it was nothing more than a spammable annoyance that cost the enemy a mere 3 second roundtime with no other real effect, both PVE and PVP. I guess the "buff" it finally received was to at least make it teach magic. Once again, bland and unimaginative.

Have you actually cast this since coming back? The stun durations are far longer than 3 seconds even with a bit of diminishing returns kicking in.

Re: First debilitation spell? 07/08/2015 11:50 PM CDT
1. You aren't wrong.

2. these are a little different, if you can get by with sleep you can save yourself the slots of mb but there are advantages and niches for both sleep and mb

3. TM spells are different now, DO and PD basically allow you to choose your flavor of damage (like almost every tm spell from any guild)

4. Burn is pretty similar to how it's always been. Could you explain red tape?

6. SLS is fantastic, except for the fact that it's night only

7. strange arrow isn't a moon mage spell. it's analagous patterns and meant to be bland because it's a very basic general spell that extends across all magical schools

8. dazzle can give you a pretty serious stun duration

Give Skaen a locate ingame or look me up at Pfanston's Grove (outside the west gate of Crossing, go trail, ne, e) and I can show you what these spells can do. If you have a new moon mage I'm not sure what you're basing these opinions on. Things have changed quite a bit with moon mage magic and magic in general.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: First debilitation spell? 07/09/2015 12:13 AM CDT
With an eye to Debilitations in particular there was actually a change thrown in relatively recently that made the durations of spells like Dazzle quite good for newbies.

While I have been favoring my Necromancer over my Moon Mage of late, I don't think Moon Mages have lost all that much in terms of what made them worth playing before. We have fewer "I win" buttons nowadays, but so does everybody else.

Thayet
Follow @thayelf on Twitter for absolutely nothing of any value whatsoever!
Re: First debilitation spell? 07/09/2015 10:06 PM CDT

These responses have been very helpful, thank you all.

No, I have not had a chance to cast any of the spells except tkt and DO as I just recently rolled up my new character and he is very young/small. Thus my reliance on forum information.

Red tape refers to the restrictions that have been placed on when, where, and how many of the spells can be cast.

(Btw, in the time period I was referring to, Dazzle did not stun and MB did not require two casts to get the sleep effect ...but these are non-issues)

But you guys answered in the manner I had hoped for, giving elaborations that make the spellbook sound not quite so dreary. I will stick with it. The Moon Mage guild was my first love in the game of DR, and I have yet to find anything comparable in any other game in the many intervening years. Thanks again.

Best regards,

Gnoxic
Re: First debilitation spell? 07/11/2015 04:39 PM CDT
>> I am HUGELY disappointed by the state of the Moon Mage spell book. I just came back after a years-long break and was excited to get another Moon Mage training, but now I'm really thinking it's not worth.

First things first: chill out.

There is so much new stuff its going to be hard to wrap your mind around it. And I assure you, you won't understand any of it for awhile to make any sweeping accusations like the one you just did.

GMs are used to this kind of stuff but it does wear on them no matter how impregnable they seem. A lot of work and thought went into redoing magic.

This was your latest post:

>> No, I have not had a chance to cast any of the spells except tkt and DO as I just recently rolled up my new character and he is very young/small. Thus my reliance on forum information.

>> (Btw, in the time period I was referring to, Dazzle did not stun and MB did not require two casts to get the sleep effect ...but these are non-issues)

You didn't actually cast anything before your rant? And, current MB doesn't require two casts get the sleep effect.

So I implore you, the sky is not falling. Do a bit of actual play testing, then play some more, then play some more, then read some pedia, then play some more. And then maybe can post critiques. But avoid the sky is falling language.

Also be aware that if you think something is "nerfed" it may be that ALL skills/spells of X category were nerfed game wide. e.g.) No more stacking of debilitation effects.

Also, go read up on Teleo spells and read up on all prediction stuff. Totally different now.