Getting Started with Astrology 11/11/2013 06:11 AM CST
Hello,

As a new Moon Mage, I'm having the devil's time getting Astrology to move. I figured how to move most of the other skills, but Astrology just sits there and mocks me.

I would be grateful for any advice.
Re: Getting Started with Astrology 11/11/2013 08:54 AM CST
Do full pool predictions (observe until your skill specific pool is full and you've "learned all you can" about that skill). Then predict analyze every minute or so after the prediction is up, while you observe again to build up your pools again.

Predict weather every couple minutes.
Re: Getting Started with Astrology 11/11/2013 09:07 AM CST
Yes, that helps--thank you.
Re: Getting Started with Astrology 11/11/2013 09:28 AM CST
I'd recommend putting a small prediction up first to analyze, then building up your pool. You need a prediction on you for analyze to teach.

Percing the moons is also good for astrology at lower levels and weather predictions.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Getting Started with Astrology 11/11/2013 09:35 AM CST
Is there a timer on Analyze?
Re: Getting Started with Astrology 11/11/2013 09:41 AM CST
For exp? Yes. It's fairly short.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Getting Started with Astrology 11/11/2013 09:55 AM CST
My understanding is that (all else being equal) experience from a prediction is linear in the size of your pool. Meaning that a full-pool prediction will teach the same as two half-pool predictions. This is a notable change from 2.0, where small-pool predictions had a learning bonus.

One consequence of this, though, is that waiting for full pool is slightly inefficient for learning. This is because the observation that brings your pool to full will probably be partially wasted, since your pool is at cap. If you were to predict more frequently, there would be no wasted observations, as it all transformed into experience. So if you're struggling with astro, I'd recommend not waiting until for a full pool before predicting. This will be slightly harder on any tool you're using, so don't do this with the ultimate tool you're trying to season.
Re: Getting Started with Astrology 11/11/2013 10:14 AM CST
This is all correct.

-Raesh

Re: Getting Started with Astrology 11/11/2013 10:52 AM CST

Very helpful, thanks a lot.
Re: Getting Started with Astrology 04/04/2014 09:51 AM CDT

I know I am resurrecting an old thread but i was told walking the ways was a great way to learn astrology. I am having trouble getting it moving with just predictions the way I do it and yes I walked the ways once and it was amazing, got it close to locked in one go. I went to bed and got back on, my skill had completely drained. I have walked several times since and I am not learning any astrology, is there a time-in-game timer on astrology exp from walking the way or should I assist in game because something is broken?
Re: Getting Started with Astrology 04/04/2014 10:04 AM CDT
It is a time in game cooldown on learning from astrology, but i do not recall, how long it is.

As a guideline, i wait, until all the astro exp from the last trip has drained before making another trip.
Re: Getting Started with Astrology 04/04/2014 10:36 AM CDT
The timer is 60 minutes.
Re: Getting Started with Astrology 04/04/2014 06:15 PM CDT
>I am having trouble getting it moving with just predictions the way I do it

This has nothing to do with astral travel but if you haven't already, highlight You feel you have sufficiently pondered your latest observation. I have a color and sound string (toaster oven ding) associated with it to make sure I'm hitting my observations as soon as the timer is up. Without the highlights I tend to forget to make observations while I'm doing other stuff or in conversations. A macro that starts my astrology observation script makes it even easier.

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html