So how is your magic training going? 05/06/2013 12:19 PM CDT
I am looking for any tips and advice to expedite working my non-combat magics (utility/Augmentation/warding). Long gone are the days of locking everything with partial displacement which I am fine with. But is anyone else having difficulty keeping these magics moving?

I am currently locking these skills by using Seers sense for utility/aug and psychic shield for warding. I use cambrinth and cast with as much power as I can without backfiring. I do have utility/aug/warding mastery feats. These skills are in the 240-280 range. With attunement at 360 and lunar magic 340. It just feels like it is taking a lot longer to lock these than it does vs my other characters (whom are gifted with multiple cyclics that make locking all magics a breeze).

I am not complaining, I am just looking for any feedback and advice. I keep aura sight up and shadowling. I do a lot of combat so I try and keep buffs up while I hunt to keep things moving, but when it's just sitting and casting I am so bored and underwhelmed. Thanks for feedback! Loving 3.0 :D
Re: So how is your magic training going? 05/06/2013 01:13 PM CDT
>I am looking for any tips and advice to expedite working my non-combat magics (utility/Augmentation/warding). Long gone are the days of locking everything with partial displacement which I am fine with. But is anyone else having difficulty keeping these magics moving?

SOV makes utility and attunement easy to train in or out of combat. Pick up the raw channeling feat if you haven't already to power cyclics from your attunement. I use SOV while climbing the Crossing walls and it makes locking athletics and utility a breeze - and it has the added perk of not adding to scroll as you run around town.

For augmentation I use AUS out of combat and prep it at 30 and harness 15 twice, cast and repeat.

For warding I use COL out of combat and prep it at 20 or 30 and charge cambrinth twice at 15 mana, cast and repeat.

I always use harness for augmentation and cambrinth for warding solely as a safety net so I don't forget to keep attunement and arcana moving along. You could swap them or just straight cast at higher prep.

Of course you'll have to tweak the numbers to find what prep and/or extra mana is the sweet spot for your own training.
Re: So how is your magic training going? 05/06/2013 04:24 PM CDT
I use AUS for aug, Shadowling for util, and Psy shield for warding. It still takes me a while, if I use SOV instead of shadowling, I probably be better off, but I just do what I do. I usually prep at 30, charge camb 16 twice, harness 15 once. Seems to keep everything moving decently.
Re: So how is your magic training going? 05/08/2013 07:31 AM CDT
Yeah, before my current sorcery spell (which is a Cyclic Utility/Augmentation spell)....I tried to keep SOV up whenever I was not teaching a class. Which for me was pretty much always, thus I didn't use SOV all that often. But if not using SOV, I always kept my SLS out, to keep my Lunar locked. Then I would use AUS, Shadowling, and PSY, prepping at 20, and charging camb(s) thrice at 20+ to make it my max. When low on mana I would run through the "power walking" to get my attunement up.

Interlaced with that, I observe planets and predict, whenever my observations are completed to train Astrology.

All of this will lock ALL non debil/TM magics in between 15-30 minutes for me. And my lowest magic skill is over 300.

Side note...I have found that charging up an orb or two to max, and using them to power cyclics seems to train Arcana the best. Even better than using them with regular spells. And just keep recharging them once they run out of power, and reinvoke.

-Crystal Soul Killashandrea

Don't mess with a "killa".