Returning after a long break 09/21/2012 09:40 AM CDT

Hey there. I've reactivated my account, and boy, are there a lot of changes. I am having difficulty training, especially Lunar Magic. I'm 42nd Circle, and the old training regimens I used to use no longer work well. Can anyone point me in the right direction so that I can train again? I cannot find anything online like I could four years ago. The amount of players has dwindled significantly. There used to be a big gathering just outside the guild in The Crossing, but sadly, that is no longer the case. I miss the old days... Anyway, if anyone could assist, or at least tell me where us Moonies gather on a regular basis, I would be grateful. Thanks.
Re: Returning after a long break 09/21/2012 09:46 AM CDT
Sadly the Crossing MM guild hasn't been used as a gathering place in a very long time. You are probably best off at the WM guild, where you can usually catch a TM class. What is your current training method? Try maybe snap casting a higher tier spell.
Re: Returning after a long break 09/21/2012 10:04 AM CDT

Thanks for the reply. I used to be able to hold on to about 10 mana, and repeatedly cast rf for a few minutes, and had no trouble getting locked. I have tried snap casting shadows, cv, and pg, but it really doesn't move the learning much. I went to the WM guild yesterday for a bit, but you can't put a beam down there. Maybe there are more Moonies assembling in Riverhaven somewhere?

Unfortunately, I have lost all my tried-and-true scripts for training... :(

Power Perception, of course is easy. I would assume magical devices will be similar. I have plenty of cambrinth on me. It's getting primary and harness going...
Re: Returning after a long break 09/21/2012 10:24 AM CDT
>>Try maybe snap casting a higher tier spell.

>>shadows, cv, and pg

Does not compute. None of those are particularly high tier.

http://elanthipedia.org/wiki/Moon_Mage#Lunar_Magic

Also, tier is just a guideline. Some spells are better for PM training than others (PSY, SOD). Targeted TM spells are GREAT for PM training (until 3.0), since you can full prep them just by targeting.

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: Returning after a long break 09/21/2012 03:39 PM CDT
> It's getting primary and harness going...

I would think harness would move when you train with cambrinth. Do you have Partial Displacement? That's a wonderful PM trainer.
Re: Returning after a long break 09/21/2012 05:06 PM CDT
>I went to the WM guild yesterday for a bit, but you can't put a beam down there.

The gathering spot is just out front, which is under open sky. If there was no one there, check again, because it is a very popular spot. The bin in Lang and the green on Ratha are also generally well populated.

As for basic training tips:

1) PM. You learn this by casting at a speed that is 'difficult' for you. At 40th snap-casting PSY at a relatively high mana level should do it. You should be able to use cambrinth at the same time for HA/Arcana exp. E.g., charge, charge, prep, focus, cast.

You can also learn PM very well by snap casting Partial Displacement in combat, as ILLIENA mentioned. You do not have to kill things to do this, but can stance down your offense to 0 if you like. This is probably the best way to learn it.

2) Arcana. I recommend testing how much you learn from different charges, which involves charging a cambrinth while Arcana is clear. Charge once, wait for your exp to drain to clear again, and then look at how much exp you gained. Find the number you have to charge that gets you the most exp per second of RT (divide the exp by the RT to get this). That way you know what to charge for the above cambrinth/PM training.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Returning after a long break 09/21/2012 07:02 PM CDT
> You do not have to kill things to do this, but can stance down your offense to 0 if you like.

Not quite 0, actually, since it seems your PM for TM spells is adjusted by stance as well, so you'll backfire at 0 stance. But 50 stance should be low enough to keep you from killing critters, while still allowing you to cast.
Re: Returning after a long break 09/21/2012 08:58 PM CDT
>Not quite 0, actually, since it seems your PM for TM spells is adjusted by stance as well, so you'll backfire at 0 stance.

Ah yes, you are right. Although it's not backfiring that's the problem, but rather you get a message about how your stance prevents you from attacking. I do 20% and it works fine.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Returning after a long break 09/22/2012 04:19 PM CDT

I appreciate all the good information. I cannot seem to get even close to getting PM locked. It's starting to get frustrating. I try snap casting PSY at 10, and that merits nothing as far as experience. I would rather not go into combat to gain PM experience. I've always shyed away from combat. I learned Partial Displacement, and that's all well and good for when I'm hunting Rock Trolls. But I would really like to have a consistent training regimen for learning magic skills. Everything I've used before no long works. I don't know why Simu changed it.
Re: Returning after a long break 09/22/2012 05:36 PM CDT
>I try snap casting PSY at 10, and that merits nothing as far as experience.

I do suggest PSY, but that sounds like it's far too low to do anything for you. You need to be casting at a mana level high enough that it's JUST about to backfire for you if you cast it that high that quickly.

Also keep in mind that it doesn't have to be a 'snap cast'. You can pause however many seconds will work for you. For example, maybe you want to snap cast at 20, or you could prep at 25, wait 5 seconds, and cast. (Example numbers only.) This means that you can work it into a cambrinth script if you like.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Returning after a long break 09/22/2012 06:26 PM CDT
My method for learning pm/pp/md/harn is usually prep spell, charge/focus camb (possibly multiple charges), do a power (for a MM I suppose you would need rotating percs off the various books etc.) cast, repeat. I toss in some foraging/app too, and lock all non-tm magics, foraging, perception, appraisal, and usually get a few bumps out of scholarship via recall.

I haven't paid attention to the conversation, but is there any reason a similar method couldn't be used here?

Adding nothing to the conversation since 1834.
Re: Returning after a long break 09/23/2012 09:38 PM CDT
>I don't know why Simu changed it.

Something else to keep in mind if it was truly a 'long' break, experience pools are three times as large as they used to be so it takes ALOT more to fill your pool, however, as long as you're at 2/34 (perusing) or higher you're getting just as much per EXP pulse as you used to when you were only at mind locked. So while you're frustrated about not locking, locking is no longer needed to learn best.
Re: Returning after a long break 09/28/2012 10:12 AM CDT
>>The gathering spot is just out front, which is under open sky. If there was no one there, check again, because it is a very popular spot. The bin in Lang and the green on Ratha are also generally well populated.

WM guild spot might be under open sky but it has several silly wards, including being no locate (but not having the correct messaging), no teleport, and no moonbeams for sure. Oh well, at least you can kill people there again.
Re: Returning after a long break 09/28/2012 06:00 PM CDT
>I went to the WM guild yesterday for a bit, but you can't put a beam down there.

Why are you trying to put a moonbeam there for training?

Lyzalian Farscribe

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear