Q's 04/11/2012 12:57 PM CDT
I'm a recent returnee to DR and having a great time checking out everything in game. I've been poking around the message boards also, trying to find new information I might need(which is quite a bit!). I've read about these pending huge changes to several systems, and condensing of the skill groups/addition of new skills. Its quite a lot to absorb.

One of my main queries at this point is the Mech Lore ranks and what to do with them. I am having a hard time finding info about each of the crafting skills. I would assume most MM's will be using Enchanting? I was playing when that system was introduced, and I have to say that I wasn't a big fan then; so I am leery of using my ML ranks for that. And I have to consider that it will become something I will have to train consistently so as to not have to have an instrument as a needed lore. (which will happen when Astro moves to magic skills)?... I think. (with astro being one of the only things I'll need gf'd, surprisingly my character will fare very well when they roll everything out)

Have there been improvements or additions to the enchantment system making it worthwhile? As a combat oriented MM encumbrance is always an issue and I previously disliked having to cart around so many different supplies... (Boo! to the changes to size of the vaults, so it'd be even more of a problem for me)

IC-wise how do other crafting systems fit with MM's? Are any of them not a good pick or fit? Can I get a point to a place I can read up on all this more? I've found a few old sites that I used still in existence, but what about newer sites that are really informational?

Having a real hard time training astrology now, so I'm thinking there's some newer ways that may work better? (only 133 ranks)

What is this compendium thing I keep seeing IG? I did find a place that I thought MIGHT have some, but it wouldn't let MM's in? I am assuming it trains whatever is on various pages? Does it work similar to our sigilbooks? Does it train scholarship?

Can someone remind me how to find out who may have located me or someone else? I recall there was a way to do so but all my attempts have failed so I am not using the right syntax or something. It was backtrace or something like that.

I also read something about aligning skills for predictions? (might help me with training astro?) But I haven't a clue how to use it, although I do think I have the align ability... wasn't it something you had to get from Tiv? Gah, digging in my cobwebbed brain for all this stuff is annoying, but funny when I try stuff IG and get some unexpected results!

And here's a biggie: The Ways are finally here! or Astral travel or whatever... waited on that forever! So scurried up to Throne City, figured some stuff out, got a key and need to go to Leth Manor? I think I know where it is, but I'm told that it would be better to find a MM trained in the ways already to help me finish up this quest. My character tried hanging around the guild a bit in Crossing and in Shard, hoping to find someone she either already knew or that could help her with no luck. She's currently in the Theren/Lang area; might someone please give her a hand?

And lastly for now, I always trained weapons/armor and heavy on survival. I found an excel sheet that someone made (KUDOS!)to help us see what our ranks will look like post change; but as a Moonmage it doesn't show weapon/armor skill breakouts. Any MM's have a way to help me calc that out? I am mainly interested in Tactics and Stealth but would like a way to look at all those weapon/armor ranks post change.

Thanks for any help, info or points...
Re: Q's 04/11/2012 01:04 PM CDT
If you haven't check it yet, use Elanthipedia. http://www.elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Main_Page

There is a huge section there for the new crafting system that should help you there also.
Re: Q's 04/11/2012 01:21 PM CDT
>>Can someone remind me how to find out who may have located me or someone else? I recall there was a way to do so but all my attempts have failed so I >>am not using the right syntax or something. It was backtrace or something like that.

After you get a locate, type power and if you do it within *I never timed it* a certain amount of time, you'll see who located you, unless they logged out.

Zozuskar says, "You're a sneaky little beard."
Re: Q's 04/11/2012 01:29 PM CDT
<<One of my main queries at this point is the Mech Lore ranks and what to do with them. I am having a hard time finding info about each of the crafting skills. I would assume most MM's will be using Enchanting? I was playing when that system was introduced, and I have to say that I wasn't a big fan then; so I am leery of using my ML ranks for that. And I have to consider that it will become something I will have to train consistently so as to not have to have an instrument as a needed lore. (which will happen when Astro moves to magic skills)?... I think. (with astro being one of the only things I'll need gf'd, surprisingly my character will fare very well when they roll everything out)

Not all the new mech lore systems have been introduced yet (let alone the actual skill split). We're still in the introduction phase so to speak. You can still go out and try anything that's been introduced (armorsmithing, weapon crafting, leather making, stone carving, tailoring are the ones I can think of off the top of my head), but you can still do all the same things you did to train mech lore as you did before (origami, grass braiding, etc.) The nice thing about the new systems is that teach better than before (on part with the latter systems I named).

The key is you don't have to make any decisions yet. You should be working on deciding if you like one of these new systems for the future though.
I'd read this for more info http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Mechanical_Lore_skill

<<Have there been improvements or additions to the enchantment system making it worthwhile?
Gwethsmashers and astral guides have been introduced. They are advanced enchantments that carry large (15-30 days)
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Gwethsmasher
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Astral_guide

<<As a combat oriented MM encumbrance is always an issue and I previously disliked having to cart around so many different supplies... (Boo! to the changes to size of the vaults, so it'd be even more of a problem for me)
Shadow servant is the best spell for this problem. It is a portable vault.

<<IC-wise how do other crafting systems fit with MM's? Are any of them not a good pick or fit? Can I get a point to a place I can read up on all this more? I've found a few old sites that I used still in existence, but what about newer sites that are really informational?
I think the beauty of DR is its flexibility. You can be a MM gnome wielding the Cloud from FFVII sword of doom. You can buck trends if you wish, or not if you wish. What I'm trying to say is that this is something for you to decide. Clearly enchanting is something rooted within the MM guild, and the new Enchanting system that will be introduced will have some key functionality place in it for MMs. What you should do is decide what is best for the story you want to tell for your character and what interests you (the player) the most.

<<Having a real hard time training astrology now, so I'm thinking there's some newer ways that may work better? (only 133 ranks)
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Prediction

PREDICT ANALYZE (scroll down to the Analyze section for more info) after you have cast some predictions upon yourself is the best way I know to train astrology, and it does so quite well. Person some predictions upon yourself, predict analyze, rinse and repeat.

<<What is this compendium thing I keep seeing IG? I did find a place that I thought MIGHT have some, but it wouldn't let MM's in? I am assuming it trains whatever is on various pages? Does it work similar to our sigilbooks? Does it train scholarship?
Compendiums hold a series of anatomy charts that can be STUDied to learn first aid and scholarship. The basic ones are sold in the empath Shop in Crossings. Putting them in a compendium makes it easier to train with them, reduces item count, helps to keep the items organized.
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Anatomy_chart

<<Can someone remind me how to find out who may have located me or someone else? I recall there was a way to do so but all my attempts have failed so I am not using the right syntax or something. It was backtrace or something like that.
This is call backtrace. To do this, PERCEIVE the room, and you should see the person in the result wall of text.
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Backtrace

<<I also read something about aligning skills for predictions? (might help me with training astro?) But I haven't a clue how to use it, although I do think I have the align ability... wasn't it something you had to get from Tiv? Gah, digging in my cobwebbed brain for all this stuff is annoying, but funny when I try stuff IG and get some unexpected results!
Something like that? I've never found the ability useful myself. That's not to say it isn't; it just doesn't fit my playstyle.
http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Moon_mage#Align

<<And here's a biggie: The Ways are finally here! or Astral travel or whatever... waited on that forever! So scurried up to Throne City, figured some stuff out, got a key and need to go to Leth Manor? I think I know where it is, but I'm told that it would be better to find a MM trained in the ways already to help me finish up this quest. My character tried hanging around the guild a bit in Crossing and in Shard, hoping to find someone she either already knew or that could help her with no luck. She's currently in the Theren/Lang area; might someone please give her a hand?
You might want to try gwething while in Crossings.

<<And lastly for now, I always trained weapons/armor and heavy on survival. I found an excel sheet that someone made (KUDOS!)to help us see what our ranks will look like post change; but as a Moonmage it doesn't show weapon/armor skill breakouts. Any MM's have a way to help me calc that out? I am mainly interested in Tactics and Stealth but would like a way to look at all those weapon/armor ranks post change.
What is the chart? Is that Leilond's chart? It should work at calculating those skill (it's not like you will use them). They just aren't required for the new MM circling requirements.

Nikpack
Re: Q's 04/11/2012 02:09 PM CDT
All hail Elanthipedia! :P

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Q's 04/11/2012 02:57 PM CDT
<<I also read something about aligning skills for predictions? (might help me with training astro?) But I haven't a clue how to use it, although I do think I have the align ability... wasn't it something you had to get from Tiv? Gah, digging in my cobwebbed brain for all this stuff is annoying, but funny when I try stuff IG and get some unexpected results!

>>Something like that? I've never found the ability useful myself. That's not to say it isn't; it just doesn't fit my playstyle.
>>http://elanthipedia.org/w/index.php/Moon_mage#Align

Aligning is necessary for predicting with tools. I recently added align and tool use into my prediction routine, the biggest benefit being I can now safely predict in combat without worrying about getting my head munched by the big bad skull
Re: Q's 04/11/2012 03:41 PM CDT
Ahh, so that's the addy... found it a few weeks ago but when I tried to go back I kept getting a page that said the domain was for sale. .org is what I needed!

As for the mech lore thing, I am mainly trying to plan ahead, and was not aware some of the systems were in place and usable at this time, and others still in the works. I'll read up and check a few things out. Enchanting is definitely a MM niche, so hopefully I'll find the system a bit easier/interesting to use. I do have a couple spell slots and could grab Shadow Servant; they used to be really buggy though. Hadn't really seen anything about re-picking our spells after all these changes get rolled out so I was kind of wanting to hang on to the slots for now.

And yes, it was leilond's xls sheet. But after you pick your guild and go to the third sheet it was not showing my weapon/armor ranks at all. I'll take another look at it. I am very aware that we don't need those ranks to circle, but since I have always RP'd my character to be combat oriented and hold her own without magic I am currently backtraining some to get my weapon/armor/mo ranks closer to my magic ranks, as well as getting my TM up about 40 ranks as well. After catching up and surviving the huge change to magic and guild requirements years ago I found myself burnt out and unevenly ranked for my rp/ic style and left DR. The experience system in place now makes it much easier for me to catch these all up. The other thing that is of interest to me rp/ic wise is Tactics and Stealth, so I've been training MO and Brawling up to help, and of course hiding/stalking (both very IC for her; daughter of a Crystal Hand father who wanted a son and a gypsy fortuneteller mother who was glad she wasn't)

Thanks for the help, I'll read up on everything at Elanthipedia. Something assures me I'll be back with more questions, so thanks in advance for your patience. :)

PS - Is there a way to reverse your character's age? It is so NOT COOL that she is 'Elderly'. ::pouts:: She is not! You all are just seeing things! But honestly, its bugging me and I have no desire to rp an elderly battle oriented MM. Does anyone pay enough attention rp-wise to this sort of thing that I can try to put it out of my mind? (started her pre-web on AOL) And NO! I am not elderly either! Bite your tongue! ::screams and runs away::
Re: Q's 04/11/2012 03:49 PM CDT
>PS - Is there a way to reverse your character's age? It is so NOT COOL that she is 'Elderly'. ::pouts:: She is not! You all are just seeing things! But honestly, its bugging me and I have no desire to rp an elderly battle oriented MM. Does anyone pay enough attention rp-wise to this sort of thing that I can try to put it out of my mind? (started her pre-web on AOL) And NO! I am not elderly either! Bite your tongue! ::screams and runs away::

Wear a hood or a mask? Heh. High-level Empath's can shift your age back, but it's difficult and probably costly.

Welcome back though. Taramaine told me to tell you to not be so tedious this time around. ;o)

-Coralin (Pathian)
Re: Q's 04/11/2012 03:49 PM CDT
>PS - Is there a way to reverse your character's age?

Type AGE in game. You can slow your appearance of age down. Also you can have Empaths SHIFT you to make you appear younger as well.
Re: Q's 04/11/2012 04:53 PM CDT
<<PS - Is there a way to reverse your character's age? It is so NOT COOL that she is 'Elderly'. ::pouts:: She is not! You all are just seeing things! But honestly, its bugging me and I have no desire to rp an elderly battle oriented MM. Does anyone pay enough attention rp-wise to this sort of thing that I can try to put it out of my mind? (started her pre-web on AOL) And NO! I am not elderly either! Bite your tongue! ::screams and runs away::

Most people will ignore your character's visible age, except for a handful of small cliques.

Honestly the age system bugs me more and more with how pointless it is. I'd love to see it removed and replaced with a "choose how old your character appears" option with adventurers simply operating in Empathically-sustained immortality. Well, and necros being necros.
Re: Q's 04/11/2012 04:59 PM CDT
I think it's important thematically to keep with the idea that adventurers do grow old and die on Elanthia, even if PCs won't croak for playability reasons.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Q's 04/11/2012 05:17 PM CDT
<<I think it's important thematically to keep with the idea that adventurers do grow old and die on Elanthia, even if PCs won't croak for playability reasons.

Honestly the whole age/dying mess could use a real re-attack from a lore perspective. Illogical exclusions may work, but that doesn't necessarily make them the best answer.
Re: Q's 04/11/2012 05:22 PM CDT

>>I'm a recent returnee to DR and having a great time checking out everything in game.

Ohh wow, you I haven't seen in a very very long time. A lot of things have changed so feel free to ask if you need anything clarified.

The Light is Crimson through the Darkness.
Re: Q's 04/11/2012 05:30 PM CDT
>>>I'm a recent returnee to DR and having a great time checking out everything in game.

Search for "What's New" on Elanthipedia.

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.org/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: Q's 04/11/2012 05:36 PM CDT

>>Honestly the whole age/dying mess could use a real re-attack from a lore perspective. Illogical exclusions may work, but that doesn't necessarily make them the best answer.

If I'm not mistaken the current lore on it is that PCs in general aren't your average joe. People age and die normally but PCs stand above most people in all aspects and years of being healed by empaths has done nothing but prolong our lifespans to near biblical porportions. Even if we look old on the outside but our insides are equivalent to someone in their 20's.

The Light is Crimson through the Darkness.
Re: Q's 04/11/2012 05:40 PM CDT
>Welcome back though. Taramaine told me to tell you to not be so tedious this time around. ;o)

Ooh, hey Path! Long time! Eh, Taramaine just didn't like it that Lovelorn was correct in her belief's about him, albeit at the time he was being unduly influenced... a point she missed and later discovered. Aww, now I'm getting nostalgic. Something tells me RP has fallen about as much as the population, sadly. I've seen some familiar names, I just don't know yet if the same 'souls' are occupying them yet. Lovelorn's been located a few times though, so I have hope to find some old friends; or maybe an enemy or two? Heehee, what fun now that I am eons behind anyone still here! I knew all that stealthy stuff would come in handy some day!

As for finding a high level Empath to Shift her, that is awesome. Unfortunately I am still in sticker shock at the prices of things these days; so I doubt it'd be something I could afford for a long time. With what I thought was a LOT of plats in the bank... turns out she's a darn pauper by today's standards.
Re: Q's 04/11/2012 05:52 PM CDT
>>If I'm not mistaken the current lore on it is that PCs in general aren't your average joe.

I prefer to go in the opposite direction, forsaking heroic individualism. The adventurer is in essence a mortal who is no better off than anyone else. The fundamental thing that sets him apart is he was given a chance to join the guilds.

Age wise, the current lore is that Empathic aid can extend mortal lifespans by +100 years. Anything beyond that requires either divine intervention or naughtymancy.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Q's 04/11/2012 07:12 PM CDT
I like the aging process, it adds a real sense of permanence not found in other games and heightens potential roleplay.

As an example, I recently had Malkien shifted from "brawny" to "athletic" because I imagined his muscle were starting to atrophy from getting past his prime.
Re: Q's 04/11/2012 08:59 PM CDT
Welcome back Lovelorn. That's a name I haven't heard in awhile...

Anyhow, do check out the AGE verb. It might solve your problem without shifting, but do read the warnings on it -- you can't do it often.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Q's 04/12/2012 07:38 AM CDT
>naughtymancy

Haha, Necro title. Make it so.

You see Naughtymancer Necrobob, Naughtymancy Expert of Elanthia.

Kaeta Airtag

>>Actually an opinion cannot be changed or corrected. Nice try back of line.-VERATHOR
>>But it can be wrong.-Starlear
Re: Q's 04/12/2012 12:04 PM CDT
Thanks Raesh :)

>Anyhow, do check out the AGE verb. It might solve your problem without shifting, but do read the warnings on it -- you can't do it often.

I did check it out but was concerned about making the change only because I felt I needed to find out if doing so would affect an Empath's ability to Shift her first.

Re: Q's 04/12/2012 03:19 PM CDT
>>I did check it out but was concerned about making the change only because I felt I needed to find out if doing so would affect an Empath's ability to Shift her first.

It only effects it insofar as the visual change depends on which longevity scheme you pick. The Empath's ability to make you appear +/- X years per go isn't affected.

-Armifer
Re: Q's 04/13/2012 05:59 PM CDT
when it comes to crafting: borrow someones book (or buy the 50 plat book) and look through the items to see what techniques are required for the types of items you would like to make.

You are Crystal Soul Farluk Zoulvaun of the Monks, an Elven Moon Mage.