Art contest! Open to all DragonRealms players. 04/02/2004 03:31 PM CST
All you artists out there, we've got a contest for you! We're looking for someone to draw the Elanthian constellations for the website. You know those stylized representations of the constellations done on the backdrop of the stars themselves? No? Well, take a look at this:

https://www.play.net/gs4/info/tomes/constellations.asp

That's the general idea, but feel free to be creative. I'll actually comment that the above example probably has more stars than I'm looking for. You should definitely include the stars that make up the constellations... adding more is up to you, but I'm going to be partial to ones that at least let me know which stars are important <g>. The contest itself is to draw The Scales, The Cobra, and The Cat (descriptions below). The first place winner will be asked to draw all 44 (or so, I don't have the exact number here) constellations to be featured on the website. In addition, first place brings with it 6 months of free basic subscription. Second place will recieve 3 months free basic, and third place will get a month of free basic.

Rules and Guidelines:

Entries should be emailed to dr-westryl@play.net with the words ART CONTEST and your account name somewhere in the subject.

Entries should be emailed on or before May 2nd.

Entries should be separate files (though attached to the same email will probably be okay).

Name each file account-constellation.xxx where "account" is your primary account name, and "constellation" is either "cat" "cobra" or "scales". File type should be one of the standard web types, gif jpg etc, since this is for the website.

The entries should be 280x280 to 320x320 pixles in size.

Please state your account name in the email itself so we can keep track of who is who.

VERY IMPORTANT: Please pay carefull attention to these guidelines. The idea is to have someone doing a good deal of work on this project. If you can't get the six things mentioned above right, that's not a good impression.

Constellation descriptions:

>look scales
Three brightly burning stars in triangular harmony; Amath, Su'idorna, and Havthior glimmer dully on the far horizons of the early fall. Amath is the greatest of the trio, the crux of the scales, and its glow has been said to light the way of many who would be lost in life, if they had not stopped to gaze up

>look cobra
The Cobra is the symbol of Hav'Roth, god of the spirits of rock and stone. Visible only during the Spring, it is the first third of the Great Snake, a belt of stars which encircles the Elanthian skies in all seasons but winter

>look cat
The Cat, symbol of Tamsine, goddess of home, hearth, and civilized settlements, is a tight cluster of fourteen stars which bear a striking resemblance to a sleeping cat

Looking forward to see what you talented folks can do!

GM Westryl, Moon Mage Liaison
Re: Art contest! Open to all DragonRealms players. 04/02/2004 05:09 PM CST
<< >look cobra
<< The Cobra is the symbol of Hav'Roth, god of the spirits of rock and stone. Visible only during the Spring, it is the first third of the Great Snake, a belt of stars which encircles the Elanthian skies in all seasons but winter

Just wondering, im not all too familiar with the Elanthian constellations, but I do want to do this accurately as possible. How many stars make up the first(the cobra) of the three constellations? Are they set in a giant ring, being as the Cobra would be stretched out and curved slightly as it was 1/3 of a massive circle. Do you want only the curved snake? Or the curved snake along with the others (maybe just the stars). Also, are there key points where the stars must go?

If you don't wanna simply reply publicly, please e-mail me @ my play.net
or AIM: rushwolfn2o

Thanks,

-Sang

PS: Im not trying to cheat and get ideas from you, I just need the essential into, or else it would be pointless for me to draw a constellation diagram without know what stars or how many to use.
Re: Art contest! Open to all DragonRealms players. 04/02/2004 05:14 PM CST
There's nothing that I know of that gives much more detail than the descriptions I posted, so be creative. As for wanting just the cobra or the cobra and the other snakes, that's a call you can make.

GM Westryl, Moon Mage Liaison
Re: Art contest! Open to all DragonRealms players. 04/02/2004 05:29 PM CST
Good Enough for me.

-Sang

Thanks again.
Re: Art contest! Open to all DragonRealms players. 04/02/2004 05:37 PM CST
What is the quantity of stars that make up the Cobra?

I like buffy. and superheroes. I suppose buffy is a superhero. But i really do like superheroes. Down with capital i's! Unless they're at the start of a sentence.
Re: Art contest! Open to all DragonRealms players. 04/02/2004 07:42 PM CST
Wow this is actually pretty exciting. It sounds like a great opportunity to get 2nd or 3rd place with my 133t F0t0shoppe SkillZ.

Unfortunately, my skillz0rz are not quite 133t enough to be able to handmake good original art, and set it slightly transparent behind the stars. (As in the GS4, really cool because of the text and captions, constellation web page.)

But I can raid public domain! And I can MS Paint some stick figures!

Maybe a GM should host a constellation-submissions bloopers page. That would be funny.

I Can't Draw, But I Can Seamlessly Put Christopher Walken's Head On Any Kind of Household Cleaning Device,
Plaith

PS - NE PICS OF TARAMANE?? NO FAKES PLZ!

>predict event
>You focus inwardly searching for insight into your future.
You see Gylwyn saying something really really intelligent.
Re: Art contest! Open to all DragonRealms players. 04/02/2004 08:02 PM CST
I was going to post on how I thought the constellations would look when I realized something I've never bothered to notice before, what is the last constellation in the Great Snake, the Adder or the Viper? I think its the Adder, right??

-The Cobra is the symbol of Hav'Roth, god of the spirits of rock and stone. Visible only during the Spring, it is the first third of the Great Snake, a belt of stars which encircles the Elanthian skies in all seasons but winter.

-The King Snake is the middle third of the Great Snake, and symbol of Peri'el, goddess of the inner earth.

-Symbol of Ushnish, also known as 'The Serpent of Discord,' the Viper is a cruelly twisted string of eighteen stars which wind their way into the early evening skies throughout the year. It is said when the two red stars which form its eyes shine most bright, that Ushnish himself walks the lands in the form of pestilence and plague.

-Symbol of Asketi, mistress of barren fields and the midnight hunt, the Adder is a simple line of eight stars which slither briefly along the southern horizon in the early hours of the morning.

Eldrad

You see yourself asking Kssarh about your next circle. Noticing no one else is around, he pulls you aside and says, "You know, you're my favorite. From now on, you get a spell slot ever other circle."
Re: Art contest! Open to all DragonRealms players. 04/02/2004 08:32 PM CST
I, for one, agree with your interpretation.

Cobra-Adder-King Snake form the Havroth trinity. Viper eats small children.

Here's some starchart fun, to help visualize the totality of the constellation:

The Cobra is visible from the 11th day of the 2nd month of Ka'len the Sea Drake to the 1st day of the 5th month of Uthmor the Giant. It is visible throughout the night.

The Adder is visible from the 36th day of the 3rd month of Lirisa the Archer to the 26th day of the 6th month of Arhat the Fire Lion. It appears at the Anlas of Anduwen and fades with the Anlas of Asketi's Hunt. A small notation indicates a telescope is required for proper observation.

the King Snake is visible from the 14th day of the 6th month of Arhat the Fire Lion to the 4th day of the 9th month of Dolefaren the Brigantine (ship).

So...
Day 51
Cobra
Day 161
Cobra-Adder
Day 201
Adder
Day 254
Adder-King Snake
Day 266
King Snake
Nut'N Honey

I'm pretty awful with astronomy, but does the rising-setting nature of the Adder mean it is tucked into the southern (or nothern?) portion of the sky?

Hmmm,
Plaith