New Player Guides 09/29/2003 08:03 PM CDT
Okay, I've got a few contests for everyone:

First, a new player guide to the Moon Mage Guild. Everything you need to know to be a Moon Mage, up to the first 10 circles. One exception: I'll be handling a guide to the div tools, so your guide only needs to deal with OBSERVE and PREDICT.

What I'll be looking for:
COMPLETENESS - If you forget to mention that Moon Mages can cast spells, that's a problem.
SECRETS - No spilling secrets, though you can say that something is a secret/puzzle/quest. For instance, you can say that getting to the third floor is a puzzle, but don't solve it for the reader.
ACCURACY - This can be a tough one, because our guild is filled with grey areas. Basically, don't present it as fact if it's a theory. Mostly, this would apply to prediction.
AUDIENCE - The most useful guide will be geared towards the COMPLETE newbie. Feel free to include basic syntax, points of Moon Mage etiquette, and anything else that may be useful to someone who's never played DragonRealms, or for that matter, any MUD. Best bet is to focus on the Moon Mage specific stuff, though. Folks who help newbies can tell you that many need to be taught how to PREP, CAST, PERC, HARNESS etc.
MISC - Anything I haven't mentioned but would be useful or necessary for a guide for new Mages.

Second, "Everything you always wanted to know about sects but were afraid to ask." (Working title).

This will be broken down by sect. You can write an overview of more than one sect, but each will be considered on its own, and you can certainly just write one about the sect you're most familiar with.

What I'll be looking for:
Sect Philosophy - Given the nature of sects, this should be fairly self-explanatory. What separates this sect from others.
Sect History - Depending on the sect, there will be more or less information available, but it's not a bad idea to include some of the information that's been released either through events or books. Referring to specific books (and explaining where to find them) isn't a bad idea.
Roleplaying Controversy? - Is there more than one "typical" way to roleplay this sect? If so, try to present them fairly. For example: Is Tezirah a demi-god worthy of worship in preparation for the day she will come to cover the world in an evil world of darkness, or just a misunderstood scholar whose advances in shadow magic compensates for any mistakes she may have made. Fortune's Path: Carefree, drunk Gypsy or web of Fate scholar? Prophets: completely crazy, or just mostly crazy?

Size: about 500 words or so. More is fine!

Winners will recieve one alteration per winning entry by yours truly. And since I'll be doing them, I may be a little more lax on the "no sect related alterations" rule that's been in place for so long.

Entries should be sent in the body of an email to dr-westryl@play.net with the subject heading NEWBIE GUIDE for the first guide, and SECT GUIDE - <sectname> for the second. The deadline will be 1 week from today, Monday October 6. Entries recieved after I wake up the following morning will not be accepted.

GM Westryl, Moon Mage Liaison
Re: New Player Guides 09/29/2003 08:47 PM CDT
Two questions Westryl.

How strict is the 500 word limit for the sect guide? I was also wondering how the format is going to be, are you going to combine all the winning entries into one book about the seven sects or are you going to do seven seperate guides?

If it's all going to be one book I might want my format to be different than if it was it's own book, understand what I'm getting at? <g> Thanks in advance.

-Path

Westryl says, "I'll only roleplay a female if I can get stuck in the void with Pathian."
Re: New Player Guides 09/29/2003 08:52 PM CDT
And is the Sect guide going to be IC or OOC? Just so we're clear.

Vivviane Abdel-Messihh
Prophet of G'nar Peth
http://bakshiloa.com
Re: New Player Guides 09/29/2003 09:15 PM CDT
500 words is not strict at all. It can certainly be longer, but I'm not sure fewer would be complete enough.

As for the format, I'm not sure right now. Don't worry too much about it, though. Just write about the sect, and I'll handle any necessary introductory stuff.

The guides can be OOC if you'd like. The newbie guide probably needs to be at least partially OOC since it should deal with things like syntax, etc. Sect guides can easily be IC, though when dealing with any of the "controversial" topics, you want to be careful not to slant it too much towards how your character would handle such questions. The guide needs to be balanced. Your character doesn't <g>. If a balanced IC piece wouldn't be true to your character, you can either go OOC, or just generally IC, but not in your specific character's voice.

Re: New Player Guides 09/29/2003 09:21 PM CDT
Thanks for the quick reply Wes.

-Path

Westryl says, "I'll only roleplay a female if I can get stuck in the void with Pathian."
Re: New Player Guides 09/29/2003 09:30 PM CDT
Are there any restrictions to these contests? It seemed to me from your post in GM Announcements general that ANYONE could write these, is that correct?

Thanks
Talls: TF
Re: New Player Guides 09/29/2003 09:46 PM CDT
<<It seemed to me from your post in GM Announcements general that ANYONE could write these, is that correct?

Yep. Simply put, if a non moon mage can write a better guide to being a moon mage than a moon mage can, they deserve to win. I'd like to think that members of the guild would have a better grasp of the guild, though!

Re: New Player Guides 09/29/2003 10:18 PM CDT
<rolls up a barbarian to submit his entries under just for laughs>

-Mozzik

Talian says, "Looks like I'm a ..gypsy at the moment I think."
Talian whispers, "Because gypsies really are the best."
Re: New Player Guides 09/30/2003 10:30 AM CDT
Guide to Becoming a Moon Mage

1) Get a frisbee from the store or friend.
2) Clean the Frisbee.
3) Make sure your parents aren?t around.
4) Put something slippery on it, like butter or cream.
5) Get really super pissed.
6) Fold the Frisbee hard (this is crucial).
7) Keep folded and insert Frisbee into mouth hard.
8) Push hard until you can?t see it.
9) Wait.
10) Die.

`
Re: New Player Guides 09/30/2003 02:18 PM CDT
Moon Mages are awesome, and by awesome I mean totally sweet.

And if your head explodes with dark forbodings too
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon...
--- Pink Floyd
Re: New Player Guides 09/30/2003 04:51 PM CDT
<<Moon Mages are awesome, and by awesome I mean totally sweet.>>

I have to agree. I've been one for six years, and I NEVER wished to be anything else (even back when we were practically as neglected as traders for a while)

How long ago was that? I remember a whole lot of older players at the time walked because they were frustrated

Dreamer Xorkoth
Re: New Player Guides 09/30/2003 09:12 PM CDT
Heh, put down the mouse and step away from the Realultimatepower web site.

Eldrad

"This spell channels the light-fire of the moons into a comfortable shoe, excellent for dinner parties, travelling, or combat."
Re: New Player Guides 09/30/2003 10:09 PM CDT
>6) Fold the Frisbee hard (this is crucial).

GOD NO WONDER I CANT CIRCLE ANY MORE

Slinky spaghetti-strap number:63$

Smooth, lovely skin conditioning formula: 12$

The bar-room full of sweaty Barbados men on shore-leave:6$ at the door

The Klondike Bar:Priceless