Sect stuff 06/26/2003 03:43 PM CDT
Okay, now that we've gotten a taste of some Sect Merchant stuff, I'd like to propose a contest for sect specific merchants. Some guidelines, the items shouldn't be completely off limits to non-sected, they can buy them, wear some of them, etc, but the stuff is more fun for those in the right sect. The current shop is a good example. As of this writing, I believe that some of the features of all three items are as yet undiscovered, though I may be wrong. The items can be pure fluff, or have some feature that makes sense for the sect. Nothing terribly powerful, I'm mostly looking for the "Oh, that's pretty cool" response. This isn't a formal contest with deadlines and all kinds of rules, as I'd like it to be an ongoing thing. Winners will get to see their suggestion sold at inflated prices in a tent somewhere <g>.

GM Westryl, Moon Mage Liaison
Re: Sect stuff 06/26/2003 03:53 PM CDT
For the record, feel free to suggest ideas for non-sected as well. Easy enough to justify a merchant who dislikes sects (as has been pointed out).

Re: Sect stuff 06/26/2003 04:11 PM CDT
<<For the record, feel free to suggest ideas for non-sected as well. Easy enough to justify a merchant who dislikes sects (as has been pointed out).>>

teehee

>l on tab
On the table you see a vengeance bauble.
>l veng baub
The hollow glass charm is filled with a viscous fluid through which drift seven tiny dolls apparently made out of rice. The curve of the glass magnifies each doll as it swims past you, and you get a clear look at the horror-stricken faces that have painstakingly been painted onto the drowned creatures.
There apprears to be something written on it.
>read baub
The bauble reads:
"How do you like your cantrips now?"

S.
Re: Sect stuff 06/26/2003 06:03 PM CDT
Hmmm... I got a few raw ideas for Fortune's Path... but I wants to investigate this Pethian one farther for comparisson. Any pethians wanna spill to me what the items do so I got a range of powers to work with and so forth?

-Mozzik
Re: Sect stuff 06/26/2003 06:04 PM CDT
Oh and if you do end up making one of our items Westie... can we at least get a free one?

-Mozzik
Re: Sect stuff 06/26/2003 06:05 PM CDT
<<Oh and if you do end up making one of our items Westie... can we at least get a free one?

That may be doable <g>.

Re: Sect stuff 06/26/2003 06:06 PM CDT
<<Oh and if you do end up making one of our items Westie... can we at least get a free one?>>

I wanna know the answer to this too.

S.
Re: Sect stuff 06/26/2003 06:39 PM CDT
For tezzies, how about a clone of that mirror that Serengil, and later Zelion had?

I think the GM's know what I mean. It was "a tarnished brass hand mirror"

From what I understand, you'd wave the mirror at your target, it would knock you both down stunned. From then on, whenver you 'peer mirror' it would give you an insta locate on the target.

Someone posted this somewhere before:

Serengil gets a tarnished brass hand mirror from inside his leather belt.
>
Serengil waves his mirror at Lanthander and suddenly a burst of energy jumps from the mirror and arcs between them. As they stand there shaking and convulsing, you watch in amazement as as a bright sphere collects around Serengil and then dances across the arc until it reaches Lanthander and there is a loud BOOM! and both of them are knocked to the ground!
Re: Sect stuff 06/26/2003 07:08 PM CDT
And for the Compact:

A flat crystal disk, set into a frame of any particular metal or wood. It fits comfortably in the palm of the hand. Charged similarly to Cambrinth or Gaethzen, when invoked it causes an illusion of a constellation the Celestian knows (random or chosen at the command) to silently erupt into existence, floating in the room.

While the illusional constellation exists (~10 minutes at max charge), the room is lit with any need for torches, gaethzen, etc. Engraved on one side of the crystal disk is two words, 'Nemmiro Avtomaen.'

A deviation of this series of items, created by some anonymous wit after the end of the Mirror Wraith Prophecy, instead conjures up a single, large, fiery ball of illusional light. Engraved on this series is 'Sumilo Anla.'

Larcus' Player

"It's a metaphor of human bloody existence, a dragon. And if that wasn't bad enough, it's also a bloody great hot flying thing." -- Terry Pratchett
Re: Sect stuff 06/26/2003 10:10 PM CDT
Thanks for this contest Westry. :)

I'm tired and need to turn it, but I'll try and have a full list by tomorrow evening when I get off of work.

Hey Westryl, what did you or Talian think of the idea for Sect specific abilities?

Eldrad
Re: Sect stuff 06/27/2003 09:11 PM CDT
For Nomads, how about a nice TKT object. It should do as much damage as an arrow or bolt, but with a bit more sytle.

My ideal TKT object would probably be some type of sharpened boomerang. It could be used as light thrown and/or light edged to parry with while you prepared the spell; then you could drop it for TKT when you needed it. (I like to use carving knives for this purpose now.) The boomerang would return to the Nomad's hand after TKT, just so it wouldn't get forgotten and left on the ground (cough).
Re: Sect stuff 06/27/2003 09:45 PM CDT
ooooh, Leraar, me like me like!

-Student Rakisla
Re: Sect stuff 06/27/2003 10:59 PM CDT
Okay, the creative juiced didn't exactly pour, so here is what I got so far.

Celestial Compact:

1 Magical Starchart - In addition to being a working starchart, it also has several unique verbs and abilities.

2 An elaborate hand crafted animite telescope etched with lunar sigils. (very good quality. Obsidian lense filter on hinge that slides in and out allowing use of the telescope on the sun, without hurting your eyes)

Nomads of the Arid Steppes

1 Worn Leather Boots covered in tribal markings (rub to change first word to one of the following: worn, aged, supple, fur-lined, smelly, blood stained) The boots are pocketed.

2. (nothing yet... was thinking of some ritualistic dagger for gutting stuff and reading entrails)

Monks of the Crystal Hand

1. Some fist shaped crystal gauntlets. - These magical gauntlets let you make RANGED brawling attacks (Punch only) telekineticly. However, you can't hold anything in your hands while you are wearing them.

2. (Nothing yet here... no ideas either)

Progeny of Tezirah

1. Cloak of moving shadows. - A cloak with nifty verbs.
LOOK CLOAK - "The garment appears to be composed entirely of moving shadows some how woven together into the shape of a cloak."
POKE CLOAK - "Your cloak seems to twist and move as if it had a life of it's own." Others see: "Joe's cloak of shadows seems to controt and twist, squirming over his body as if alive!"
THROW CLOAK - "The shadows comprising your cloak rapidly expand without warning, covering the entire area in a blanket of darkness." (Darkness, 10 charges)
TURN CLOAK - "Like some sort of ebon kraken, tentacles of darkest shadow shoot out from your cloak in all directions before colapsing into a shadowy web" (Shadow Web, 5 Charges)
NOT POCKETED ON PURPOSE.
Once all 15 charges are used, the cloak stops moving and becomes a black cloak. The LOOK verb changes at that point, and no other verbs function.
The cloak can be 're-charged' though, >:) Mwuhaha.
The process requires that you be outside under a FULL moon of Katamba, Shadows, Focus Moonbeam, and a Devourer pearl.
I would describe the steps I thought up, but on the off chance this is made, I want people to have to figure it out.

2. There is no 2! With an item that cool who needs something else! :P

Heritage House

1. ?
2. ?
I'm a discrace to my sect, heh.

Followers of Fortune's Path

1. An ancient Imperial golded coin. LOOK VERB - "Stamped with the Imperial crest, this coin was once commonly used in the Seven Star Empire. The coin looks to be in excellent shape considering it's age."
FOCUS COIN - The coin seems to have been imbued with an unidentifable matrix of lunar mana.
RUB COIN - The coin grows momentarily warm in your hand. (Bonds to you)
FLIP COIN - With a casual toss you send your coin heavenward momentarily before deftly catching it in your hand. You immediately slap the coin down flat on the back of your other wrist. Slowly you take your hand away to reveal...
(randomly Heads or Tails)
If you are holding the coin in your Right hand when you cast TKT, it will shoot out to strike your target and return to your hand. (Must be bonded to do this)

2. A bejeweled Crescent-bladed sabre. LOOK VERB - Rubys, sapphires, and black diamonds decorate the hilt of this esquisite weapon, while the blade is etched with words: "Fate's Edict"

Eldrad
Re: Sect stuff 06/28/2003 01:35 AM CDT
<<Nomads of the Arid Steppes
1 Worn Leather Boots covered in tribal markings (rub to change first word to one of the following: worn, aged, supple, fur-lined, smelly, blood stained) The boots are pocketed.
2. (nothing yet... was thinking of some ritualistic dagger for gutting stuff and reading entrails)>>

I think the idea of this contest is to fill those nitches we didn't get filled in our sect shop. That in mind, the Nomads already have several choices of footwear, as well as a nifty skinning knife, in our shop. (Of course, I don't expect you to know that, so no worries.)

S.
Re: Sect stuff 06/28/2003 03:45 AM CDT
I just wanted to say that the coin idea for FP is the coolest idea ever.

-Ryetez
Re: Sect stuff 06/28/2003 04:14 AM CDT
My own idea for the FP merchant...what about a special musical instrument? Like a lyre, tambourine or ocarina with bright shifting colors. You could TAP the instrument, which would send a flurry of colors dancing along it, and maybe gypsy specific actions when you play it, like, well I dunno, I'm not that creative.

Oh, and the coin, instead of the tkt effect, maybe the heads and tails effect could do something, like give it a few seconds between when you flip it and when it lands. If you call out the correct choice, you can turn a bad prediction already on you good, but if you get it wrong, you make a good prediction go bad. But it only happens if you call it, cause I would want to be able to flip the coin just to flip it <g>. Or maybe that's too ambitious, I dunno. I definitely like the idea of having a coin to flip though.

-Ryetez
Re: Sect stuff 06/28/2003 05:04 AM CDT
Hmmm I think your on to something with the coin and the predictions... I'm gonna let it rattled around a bit and see what I come up with... I'll post tommarrow.

-Mozzik
Re: Sect stuff 06/28/2003 07:49 AM CDT
I really like the idea of the FP coin. One of these days I'm gonna have to quit killin' brain cells and come up with an idea of four.

-~- Zelaide -~-
Took ya long enough to get the <expletive deleted> hint. -- Me
In avoiding extinction, it pays to be promiscuous. - ???
Re: Sect stuff 06/28/2003 01:23 PM CDT
<<FP coin>>

Alternative idea (for if the other one isn't accepted): A specail FP style coin. You can choose what the coin will land on (heads or tails). If you don't imput the side you want, it will be random. (It'd be cool if it could also land on the edge, neither heads nor tails.)

S.
Re: Sect stuff 06/28/2003 02:42 PM CDT
I thought about the instrument some more, and I was thinking, it could be bright swirling colors, that when TAPed, melt together to form a small band of dancing gypsies, that could dance along the instrument as you play it. Each time you play it, there could be another line description of the gypsies swirling along to the beat, with their multicolored cloaks and gowns drifting to the rhythm. That way even a gypsy in the middle of nowhere could feel like he was part of his wandering group.

-Ryetez
Re: Sect stuff 06/28/2003 02:59 PM CDT
If we're going to go all out with the fantasy gypsy genre, how about a scarf or headscarf that does something simmilar to the face cantrip when used, but more random, sort of like an instant disguise illusion. One minute they have a bushy moustache and glittering eyes, then they do it again and have rotten teeth and a pointy nose, then a thick beard and an deep-set eyes.

-Kitrinx
Re: Sect stuff 06/28/2003 03:38 PM CDT
<<I thought about the instrument some more, and I was thinking, it could be bright swirling colors, that when TAPed, melt together to form a small band of dancing gypsies, that could dance along the instrument as you play it. Each time you play it, there could be another line description of the gypsies swirling along to the beat, with their multicolored cloaks and gowns drifting to the rhythm. That way even a gypsy in the middle of nowhere could feel like he was part of his wandering group.>>

If this is done I believe it'd be better to have scarves attatched to the instrument instead of an illusion. Then as you played the scarves could appear to mimic the fluid movements of dancing gypsies. Maybe have several different models of the instrument to choose from with varying numbers of scarves that range from two, appearing to dance together to the music, and six, forming a sort of gypse mosh-pit. =)

S.
Re: Sect stuff 06/28/2003 03:56 PM CDT
How about some not so stereotypical gypsy stuff? The gypsies in DR are just blatent stereotypes of gypsies in every other fantasy game/book/movie/whatever. I mean it's sorta disapointing. How about something that doesn't revolve around being colorful and/or musical or an unhealthy gambling addiction? I guess it's really up to the followers, but it doesn't seem like a very hard/fun RP choice to just be the stereotype. It's like RPing a Tezirite who is blatently evil and openly plotting to take over the world. Plus, all the stereotyping stuff is a dig on the gypsy or Roma peoples of real life. Just my opinion.
Re: Sect stuff 06/28/2003 04:23 PM CDT
If we're dealing in Fortune's Path items I humbly request that not every item screams "Look! This is what happens when a charging rhino runs into a rainbow!". Not all Fortune's Path members are Gypsies (I've played Mozzik as such for a long time, and much to my pleasant surprise when sects came out apparently Lomtaun while also a follower of Fortune's Path is not a gypsy either. Ask him about sects sometime). Something would have to do something incredibly cool for me to wear it if was so brigly colored and such. Rather then fancy clothing and such, since we already have a rather good assortment of that in our sect shop, I'd like to see some more things playing up our connection to Fate. Tokka cards (coughcough), coins, dice... perhaps some more unique items for a game of chance. I'm gonna stew on it a bit more, hopefully I'll have some good ideas by tonight.

-Mozzik
Re: Sect stuff 06/28/2003 04:33 PM CDT
>How about some not so stereotypical gypsy stuff? The gypsies in DR are just blatent stereotypes of gypsies in every other fantasy game/book/movie/whatever.

Fantasy games are all about stereotypes. I think it's implied that fantasty-genre-gypsies don't represent the present day real world people any more than the nomads (or prydaen) represent modern day american indians. If you take away the stereotype for the gyspy sect, then what do they have? They'd just be normal people with no theme.

-Kitrinx
Re: Sect stuff 06/28/2003 04:39 PM CDT
Another Compact suggestion:

Stately Appearance:

Being in a sect of socialites and politicians can be hard in this day and age. With Kssarh putting you on a strong regiment of climbing cliffs, swimming in swamp muck, foraging in the dirt, and hazardous materials handling, there's often not enough anlas in the day to clean the clothes, stow the chainmail, and get to the Empaths before the formal debate and quiet dinner afterward.

Enter the object (usually constructed as a brooch of some sort, but that's more due to a cloak fetish among adventurers then any form/function consideration), an odd perversion of the Refractive Field spell design. Mechanically, it is similar: Bending light to produce an illusional effect. Functionally, it does the exact opposite: It is designed to make you look better.

The object has three functions. The first takes an 'impression' of the owner, and how he looks in his current state. This impression (henceforth called the snap shot) can be updated as the owner wishes. The second function is closely related to the first: It allows the owner to see in his mind's eye what the current snap shot inside the object looks like.

The third function is the heart of the matter. It covers the owner with the illusional field, overlaying the snap shot on them. Anyone who LOOKs at them will see whatever the snap shot is, rather then their actual condition. This only impacts the LOOK verb and equivalents. Use of items that are not in the snap shot still show up in the room par usual (like RF, the illusional field is briefly broken by the unforeseen movement). Yes, there are potential downsides to keeping an illusional field like this up, particularly when it comes to potential saves when dying (it would be impossible for a passerby to LOOK at you and see you are bleeding and dying).

Larcus' Player

"It's a metaphor of human bloody existence, a dragon. And if that wasn't bad enough, it's also a bloody great hot flying thing." -- Terry Pratchett
Re: Sect stuff 06/28/2003 04:42 PM CDT
I'm going to disagree with the above post... well. Compleately. The majority of Fortune's Path members are gypsies. Not all. Not all players, not all GMNPCs. But so far every release for them has been incredibly gypsified other then our cantrips (Thank you! Thank you thank you thank you!). Just saying it would be nice to emphasis our unique connection to Fate and chance for once which is not part of the gypsy sterotype and defines FP just as much.

-Mozzik
Re: Sect stuff 06/28/2003 06:14 PM CDT
<<Tokka cards (coughcough)>>

I thought about asking for Fetish Bags for the Nomads, too, but I realized it's a bad idea. Much better to wait until the new prediction system is out and ask for it as an actual prediction tool, instead of just a neat item with verbs. And as I understand it, once the new Prediction system is in place it'll be a lot easier to add new prediction tools.

S.
Re: Sect stuff 06/28/2003 06:16 PM CDT
<<The majority of Fortune's Path members are gypsies. Not all. Not all players, not all GMNPCs.>>

Please head over to the Sects folder. I'd like to discuss this further. (As a Conversation, not a Conflict.)

S.
Re: Sect stuff 06/29/2003 03:53 AM CDT
The majority of Fortune's Path members are gypsies. Not all. Not all players, not all GMNPCs. But so far every release for them has been incredibly gypsified other then our cantrips

I'd have to agree with this, even if I do like the gypsified stuff, I can see where some of the othes would like somethin' a bit different.

-~- Bed hopping Drunkard, Zelaide -~-
You tap a dark silk cloak covered with a waterfall of rainbow-colored scarves that you are wearing.

Took ya long enough to get the <expletive deleted> hint. -- Me
In avoiding extinction, it pays to be promiscuous. - ???
Re: Sect stuff 06/29/2003 05:43 AM CDT
While responding to Smozh I came across an interesting quote...

"Our methods varied as much as our clothing. Some of us traced the apparently meaningless lines on the palm of a hand, evoking mysteriously tantalizing glimpses of the future for the mark's consumption. Others set themselves up in small tents, the only furniture a velvet-draped table and a flawless crystal ball. The darkness of the interior hid any defects in the richly hued cloth that masked the inside walls of the tent, muffling the sounds from the camp. Some few of us delighted in the reading of tea leaves, though I found this to be harder to interpret. Sodden leaves ringing the sides of a teacup induced little in the way of insight for me."

This is from "Fortune's Path: The Crossroads"... and it seems like some interesting ideas for us, though I think it's really proper as alternate tools for us/enchantments (Since crystal balls ARE planned for us and all... gah gotta go post over there now).

Something to discuss while I keep stewing over ideas for us. Tommarrow promise! Big long boring day with relatives ahead perfect time to brainstorm.

-Mozzik
Re: Sect stuff 06/29/2003 12:32 PM CDT
Could we please get this into an appropriate folder? Great discussion, but the wrong place.

S.
Re: Sect stuff 06/30/2003 11:40 AM CDT
Oh Eldrad, I love your ideas for Fortune's Path. I want them both. :)

Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall down an open manhole and die. -Mel Brooks
Re: Sect stuff 07/09/2003 07:46 AM CDT
Monk idea.

Didnt read the 40 posts so if its been done already sorry :)

I was thinking maybe a meditation rug/blanket.

Could have some nice verbs to it, like
Kiluminati carefully unrolls his meditation rug/blanket and lays it gently before him.

Kiluminati carefuly steps onto the rug and sits gently in the center, (heres where I get the
wording messed up but I'm thinking of a sitting position like one would do in normal meditation,
legs crossed er indian style or whatever, and hands on knees.)

Kiluminati closes his eyes and breathes in a steady unbreaking pattern, undaunted by the going ons
around him.

On top of that I guess if you wanted to add some type of magic component to it, similar to
the scarabs, it could perform a locate or whatever. Or SHM or DG anything of that type....

After several moments of intense meditation Kiluminati's image slightly wavers and appears to
almost dissapear for a split second. He reopens his eyes and is more aware of his surroundings.

But even without the magic I'd like something like that for RP, and effect. Monkness! Heh.

Second item.

Gnarled walking staff, possibly with the end shaped like an open hand.

It would be a quarter staff weapon and would have magic similar to a wand.
Maybe even casting CRS , with of course a limit to the amount it casts
before it runs out.

Not much to it, simple but effective.

Third item.

(mesh,cloth,leather, etc etc) Hand wraps.
Used in ancient training excersizes to protect the knuckles during combat.
The hand wraps are made of a rigid fabric and protect the hand while still providing
the neccesary impact for combat.

This one I need more thought on, kind of messing up the wording I'm trying to get across there.
I'll work on it some more later :)
Re: Sect stuff 07/09/2003 01:44 PM CDT
Oh forgot a verb....

You roll your carpet/rug/blanket up and whap Nitish over the side of the head! THWAP

har har!!!

Take that Nitish!
Re: Sect stuff 07/09/2003 02:31 PM CDT
hmmm...

could add one more:

Pull carpet/rug/blanket out from under kiluminati! THUD

bwahahah