Is it tedious? 08/10/2016 08:40 PM CDT
I am thinking of making a Moon Mage, but I am concerned about the circle requirements of so much lore and survival. Weapons are armor are fun to to train, but I really like the lore of moon mages and their magic. I am concerned about the circling requirements, is it tedious to level a moon mage? All the scholarship, survival and lore requirements? Thanks guys.
Re: Is it tedious? 08/15/2016 12:43 AM CDT
If you're interested in leveling mostly in combat, it can be done. I've done it.

My survivals: Perception, Outdoorsmanship, Evasion, Skinning, Stealth
My lores: Appraisal, Mechanical Lore, Tactics, Scholarship (required)

You are actually able to train every single one of those, plus Astrology, in combat if you're willing to do some retreating now and then. Personally I don't do Mech or Outdoorsmanship in combat, but it is possible (with origami and collecting, respectively). Even if you do go out of combat for a few skills, they can be lower requirements and thus not take up too much of your time.

Here are some tips on a few:

- Astrology. You will need to hunt somewhere under open sky and take short breaks to retreat and observe, and later retreat and predict. At low levels you may want to try PREDICT WEATHER and perceiving each of the moons too.

- Scholarship. Find a hunting partner to teach something to, or use an anatomy compendium to study. RECALL the critter every ~25 minutes as well for a tiny bit extra. This one may be the hardest to keep up in combat but you can at least make a little headway.

- Appraisal. Keep your bundle in "lumpy" form. Occasionally retreat and appraise it. You can also appraise the creature you're fighting.

- Navesi
Re: Is it tedious? 08/15/2016 12:45 AM CDT
I'm a WM main, but I've gotten a MM past 100. Coming from the WM side of things where I live in combat, I wanted to see if I could do something similar. The answer is... mostly, you can, with a single exception.

For Survival, you can use perception, outdoorsmanship, evasion, stealth, and skinning, all of which can be trained in combat. For Lore, you can train appraisal and tactics, but the problem is that scholarship, the third lore you can train in combat, has a hard requirement. So you're going to have to do something outside of combat for your tert lore - either a craft or performance. I chose performance because you can do it anywhere.

Astrology can be a pain, but once you figure it out it is, in fact, effectively trainable in combat through the standard method of observing until you have a full pool and then predicting on it, but it does eat up a decent slice of time to do so. For out of combat learning, if you want to lock it before going in, you can always take a trip in the ways or use Read the Ripples. Astrology, like Theurgy, is one of those skills that's super annoying to train as a novice, but gets easier and easier.

- Saragos
Re: Is it tedious? 08/15/2016 12:46 AM CDT
You know, I honestly never thought of training Mech Lore in combat. Huh. I'm disappointed in myself.

- Saragos