Sect preps and newbs with SLS 11/23/2014 09:22 PM CST
Hello! Skaen and I were talking about some things so I'm posting for him.

Firstly, as it currently seems to be, in order to use the special preps for your own sect you need to get a feat or two. We were wondering if the sect representatives could mention which feats are needed?

Secondly, novice mages have been able to get SLS even though they don't have the TM requirements to min prep with it successfully. Could there be either restrictions or messaging about needing adept skill to begin the quest for it?

I like to imagine that the popping sound of PD is kind of like the fire swamp.
Re: Sect preps and newbs with SLS 11/23/2014 11:54 PM CST
<<Firstly, as it currently seems to be, in order to use the special preps for your own sect you need to get a feat or two. We were wondering if the sect representatives could mention which feats are needed?

I think it tells you which ones you need when you try to use PREPARE /SHIFT to switch to it. I don't think the sect leaders need to tell you because there's no cost involved for getting the sect prep from them. I think all of the sect ones just require the Alternate Preparation feat, and that is required for any alternate non-default preparation so sect ones aren't unique in that. I don't think any of the sect ones require Illusory Preparation, do they?

<<Secondly, novice mages have been able to get SLS even though they don't have the TM requirements to min prep with it successfully. Could there be either restrictions or messaging about needing adept skill to begin the quest for it?

There's a circle requirement of 40th already, unless that is broken. I would think that is high enough circle for people to know enough about how spells and minimum prep work by then.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Sect preps and newbs with SLS 11/24/2014 02:46 AM CST
>I think all of the sect ones just require the Alternate Preparation feat, and that is required for any alternate non-default preparation so sect ones aren't unique in that. I don't think any of the sect ones require Illusory Preparation, do they?

The compact sect prep requires both alternate preparation and silent preparation feats but not the illusory. I don't know which feats the other sect preps require (I don't have another mm). If you don't have open spell slots or satisfy the various skill requirements the magic feat teachers won't even give you a list of all the various feats available. Because there are 3 feats associated with preps and people are confused by which they need to learn to use a prep it would be more user friendly if each sect rep could message which feats specifically are needed for their respective sect prep. Even long time players often struggle with switching spell preps.

>There's a circle requirement of 40th already, unless that is broken. I would think that is high enough circle for people to know enough about how spells and minimum prep work by then.

In the past week and a half I've had 3 different moon mages ask me why they can't cast SLS after they've finished the quest. One moon mage only had 107 tm. That's pretty rough when you've picked a spell that you can't cast until you've almost doubled your skill and can't unlearn (assuming you as a young mage know about Throne City and the ability to unlearn spells) because it's a quest spell. There is no hard req for tm and no req at all till 31st circle if tm happens to be your #7.

You can't discern SLS till you've finished the quest and learned it. You can't ask a guildleader about SLS and get any real information. To know the skill required for min prep in advance you'd have to know about epedia, know what information to look for on the epedia SLS page (the exp rp skill rank req from the discern), check the discern for SLS there, know about the exp rp command verb, use that to translate the exp rp skill rank description into numerical skill rank value and check that against your own skill.

Yes if you're an experienced player of mage characters all this isn't onerous. If you're not, it's frustrating and confusing. A simple tm check for the quest would be better. Ask the blind guy about it, he says, 'come back when you have more skill in targetted magic spells.' or 'Heck yeah, you're skilled enough to learn about this magic, go over there and do that thing.'

Vote:
http://www.topmudsites.com/vote-DragonRealms.html
Re: Sect preps and newbs with SLS 11/24/2014 05:05 AM CST
These are valid points.

We need to do some more robust checking with a lot of our reqs under 3.0, but I'll see if I can address some of these outside of that larger project (since they aren't actually through a guildleader etc).

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Sect preps and newbs with SLS 11/24/2014 11:49 AM CST
Thanks Raesh!

Vote:
Re: Sect preps and newbs with SLS 11/24/2014 05:15 PM CST
You can't discern SLS till you've finished the quest and learned it. You can't ask a guildleader about SLS and get any real information. To know the skill required for min prep in advance you'd have to know about epedia, know what information to look for on the epedia SLS page (the exp rp skill rank req from the discern), check the discern for SLS there, know about the exp rp command verb, use that to translate the exp rp skill rank description into numerical skill rank value and check that against your own skill.

Elanthipedia lists explicit minimum prep skill numbers for each spell in both spell lists and individual pages. All a person would need to know is that elanthipedia exists.

Elanthipedia - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
Epedia Admins - https://elanthipedia.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/Elanthipedia:Administrators
Re: Sect preps and newbs with SLS 11/25/2014 03:31 PM CST
All quest spells are basically like this. Once you pass the requirements to get the spell, doesn't mean you can even cast the spell. Clerics spells are known for this I know. FOU and MF come to mind. You need a bit more magic skills than what the circle requires. I have no issue with this. I know elder clerics pass this information on to other people thinking about the spells. This allows folks who have bigger magic, to gain the spell earlier if they work magic heavy. I assume its similar with other spells that have a quest like this.
Re: Sect preps and newbs with SLS 11/25/2014 04:04 PM CST
> You need a bit more magic skills than what the circle requires. I have no issue with this. I know elder clerics pass this information on to other people thinking about the spells. This allows folks who have bigger magic, to gain the spell earlier if they work magic heavy.

If you put a tm skill check at the start of the SLS quest it does not affect anyone who works magic heavy. It does protect people from spending a slot or slots on a spell they don't a snowball's chance in hell of casting and already has more than enough built-in penalties and limitations.

Vote: