Shadowling-proof rooms 07/02/2014 10:48 AM CDT
Why do so many rooms block shadowling?

[Abandoned Tunnels, Eastern Corridor]
As the corridor continues, the damp smell is unavoidable and much stronger. The wooden wall braces steadily become more frequent presumably to defend against the lack of consistency in the soil, which appears to have sloughed off after years of neglect. Partly obscured by decades of accumulated dust, the imprints of boots are still faintly visible on the floor. You also see a marble pebble.
Obvious exits: southeast, west.

>prep shadowling
You raise an arm skyward, chanting the equation of the Shadowling spell.

You feel fully prepared to cast your spell.
>cast
You gesture.
Something about this area prevents your spell from completing.
Re: Shadowling-proof rooms 07/02/2014 02:42 PM CDT
Here too?

[Whistling Wood, Path]
Like the footprint of a giant bird, the trail branches in three directions. One branch curves toward the northwest, where a large hill of dirt and rock rises from the earth. Another leads deeper into the dead silence of the wood, its end lost in the dark shadows beneath the trees. The third branch leads east towards the derelict road.
You also see a dead tree with a darkened hollow near its base and some junk.
Obvious paths: east, southwest, northwest.

> prep shadowl
Since you're not feeding enough power into the spell pattern to make it coherent, you quickly work your way to the minimum required.
You raise an arm skyward, chanting the equation of the Shadowling spell.

You feel fully prepared to cast your spell.

> cast
You gesture.
Something about this area prevents your spell from completing.

I like to imagine that the popping sound of PD is kind of like the fire swamp.
Re: Shadowling-proof rooms 07/02/2014 03:22 PM CDT
It might be possible to smuggle one in via your shadow if you need the room based version, depending on the mechanics of the area. I do this while waiting for an alteration session to not happen.
Re: Shadowling-proof rooms 07/02/2014 03:39 PM CDT
If you've got one in your shadow, it will be unaffected by the room. I was mining, and the duration on the one in my shadow expired, and this is what happened when I tried to recast.
Re: Shadowling-proof rooms 07/02/2014 03:45 PM CDT
No, I mean if the room is giving you trouble with allowing a shadowling you can usually smuggle in a shadowling via your shadow and then INVOKE SHADOW to have it be in the room again if you need the room based version. There's no duration on the room-based version so you don't have to worry about it expiring except via sun when outdoors. Duration still comes into play if you're re-invoking in order to move since the shadowling will reach a point where it instantly departs your shadow after being subsumed because the duration cap was reached.
Re: Shadowling-proof rooms 07/02/2014 06:01 PM CDT
Without looking at the specific rooms (And it's not trivial for me track down a room based off the description unless I happen to recognize it offhand) I can't say for sure what's stopping it but in most cases it's because those places are set up to now allow critters, they're safe rooms in hunting areas.

As for smuggling shadowlings in - that's now fixed. Not because I want to be mean and take away your toys (Well, not this time) but because it's clearly a bug and while it can be used to bypass some harmless mechanics it could also be bypassing important ones too.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Shadowling-proof rooms 07/02/2014 06:08 PM CDT
<<As for smuggling shadowlings in - that's now fixed. Not because I want to be mean and take away your toys (Well, not this time) but because it's clearly a bug and while it can be used to bypass some harmless mechanics it could also be bypassing important ones too.

I'm not seeing how this is functionally different than a Shadow Servant following you into a room where you can't summon it directly, but I'll stop before that gets taken away too.
Re: Shadowling-proof rooms 07/02/2014 06:42 PM CDT
Lots of rooms, especially near hunting spawns, are flagged no-critter to keep things from wandering in. Im not sure if thats what WMs percieve as a familiar ward or if thats an independant setting.

>Forgive my snark, but welcome to the life of a warrior mage.
Re: Shadowling-proof rooms 07/02/2014 08:19 PM CDT
Oof. Okay!

The Whistling Wood is out the south gate of Shard, on the way into the Adan'f.

Thanks!

I like to imagine that the popping sound of PD is kind of like the fire swamp.
Re: Shadowling-proof rooms 07/02/2014 08:31 PM CDT
After consulting with the powers that be I've gotten permission to ease the restriction on shadowlings. In general they should be usable in places they were not before, but there are some areas they may no longer work. Essentially, if a familiar can be there a shadowling should too.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Shadowling-proof rooms 07/03/2014 03:03 AM CDT
It would be nice if sometimes those settings could be reviewed, although the size of that job would be scary. Some of the settings are hard to understand. I'm not sure it's still this way, but long ago in the bank you could have a familiar at the teller window but not in the lobby. Or maybe it was the other way around. It didn't seem to make much sense, although it might have had something to do with silencing the bank way back when.
Re: Shadowling-proof rooms 07/03/2014 05:00 AM CDT
> After consulting with the powers that be I've gotten permission to ease the restriction on shadowlings.

This seems much nicer. Thank you.
Re: Shadowling-proof rooms 07/03/2014 06:58 AM CDT
If you find a room that feels weird this way feel free to bug it (While standing in the room please). Just... not for a few days (The server that handles bugs blew up a few days ago and is still on the mend to my understanding). Please do not post specific rooms - unlike many bugs specific rooms are hard for us to find if we don't already know exactly where they are or have some of the hidden information the bug command collects for us.

-Raesh

Re: Shadowling-proof rooms 07/05/2014 08:13 AM CDT
Is BUG ready to accept submissions for Shadowling de-proofing? I'd like to report the various boats and transports.
Re: Shadowling-proof rooms 07/05/2014 08:24 AM CDT
Last I heard the bug server is still a flaming wreckage somewhere in St Louis.

-Raesh

Re: Shadowling-proof rooms 07/05/2014 06:24 PM CDT
>Is BUG ready to accept submissions for Shadowling de-proofing? I'd like to report the various boats and transports.

Are there any boats and transports that aren't familiar-proof? I always assumed it was fundamental to their operation.

Re: Shadowling-proof rooms 07/05/2014 06:31 PM CDT
I could care less about whether locating someone on a boat with a familiar is possible or not. I want to be able to cast a shadowling for training purposes (both directly and for the mana regen) in a location that I'm stuck on for 30+ minutes at a time.
Re: Shadowling-proof rooms 07/05/2014 06:31 PM CDT
couldn't*
Re: Shadowling-proof rooms 07/05/2014 07:22 PM CDT
Can't cast shadowling in front of moon mage guild in Crossing.
Louts enter the room though.
Re: Shadowling-proof rooms 07/05/2014 07:26 PM CDT
Shadowlings and familiars follow the same logic now for where they can and can't live.

-Raesh

Re: Shadowling-proof rooms 07/05/2014 07:33 PM CDT
>>Are there any boats and transports that aren't familiar-proof? I always assumed it was fundamental to their operation.

The barges Riverhawk and Imperial Glory which travel between Riverhaven and Throne City allow familiars.
Re: Shadowling-proof rooms 07/05/2014 07:34 PM CDT
>I could/n't care less about whether locating someone on a boat with a familiar is possible or not.

Unless I'm mistaken, the thing blocking familiars is the same mechanic. There's no such thing as a 'no familiar' setting, just a reflection of the room's [no-mob] flag, or [safe] flag, or something.

Re: Shadowling-proof rooms 07/05/2014 07:41 PM CDT
>>There's no such thing as a 'no familiar' setting, just a reflection of the room's [no-mob] flag, or [safe] flag, or something.

Flags: [A bunch of redacted flags], NoFamiliar

-Raesh

Re: Shadowling-proof rooms 07/05/2014 07:52 PM CDT
>Flags: [A bunch of redacted flags], NoFamiliar

Help, help, I'm being repressed!

Re: Shadowling-proof rooms 07/05/2014 07:56 PM CDT
<<Shadowlings and familiars follow the same logic now for where they can and can't live.

Yes. This is my complaint.