evil bones or too small a prediction pool? 03/03/2013 04:59 PM CST
seems my brand new set of bones from '' lenses are rather predisposed towards curses..
the following were all accomplished using the same brand new set of bones, of note, the only positive (chain) was done using a full pool, the others with the following:

You have a feeble understanding of the celestial influences over magic.
You have no understanding of the celestial influences over lore.
You have a weak understanding of the celestial influences over offensive combat.
You have no understanding of the celestial influences over defensive combat.
You have a fledgling understanding of the celestial influences over survival.
You have a weak understanding of the celestial influences over future events.

are partial pools to blame, or are my bones already tilted towards curses?

remember now, these are store bought:
You turn your bones about, carefully evaluating the craftsmanship.

The Krr-tich is notably off-balanced.
The Sek-rith is notably off-balanced.
The symbols on the Moon Sphere are nearly impossible to differentiate though the weighting of the bone is fair.
The lacquer unevenly coats the Sun Disk, which is slightly off-balance.
The bones are rather new.
They appear to have seen little use.
The overall craftsmanship is poor and the bones should prove rather susceptible to damage.

Recognizing the investiture as your own, you cautiously probe the bones with your prophetic talent.

A lone strand of probability trickles through the Krr-tich.
A lone strand of probability trickles through the Sek-rith.
A lone strand of probability trickles through the Moon Sphere.
A lone strand of probability trickles through the Sun Disk.
Roundtime: 10 sec.

You close your eyes, struggling to catch a glimpse of foresight. Many images flash rapidly before your mind's eye and you are able to identify the following:

A flickering crimson tree that shifts into an acrobat. It seems to vanish almost immediately. A Prydaen man stands in the background, watching.

A flickering ruby moonblade that slowly reshapes itself into a greataxe. It seems to vanish almost immediately. A Prydaen man stands in the background, watching.

A flickering scarlet moonblade that disappears and is replaced by a pair of parallel daggers. It seems to vanish almost immediately. A Prydaen man stands in the background, watching.

A flickering crimson spellbook that resolves into a cowering figure. It seems to vanish almost immediately. A Prydaen man stands in the background, watching.

A flickering sapphire shield that disappears and is replaced by several linked rings. It quickly dissipates. A Prydaen man stands in the background, watching.

A flickering ruby tree that shifts into a dark cloud. It seems to vanish almost immediately.

Roundtime: 15 sec.

>The shadowling exclaims, "Mana neeto!"
Re: evil bones or too small a prediction pool? 03/03/2013 05:00 PM CST
meh, double post, astrology is 131

Re: evil bones or too small a prediction pool? 03/03/2013 05:23 PM CST
Curse rate is really high on tools with little use, much higher then it was in 2.0. Like in the 40-50% range. It'll come down as you bond with them. The good news is the bond rate is accelerated on new tools to get over the initial hump quicker, so keep at it.

Chatter[Sava] well I bled all night and didn't become diseased
Chatter[Tincan] That's what she said?
Re: evil bones or too small a prediction pool? 03/03/2013 06:01 PM CST
If you have no factors working in your favor the curse rate is 50% (It's a binary result). With ideal circumstances you can get it as low as 5% (I think that's right, I checked it awhile ago and I'm too lazy to go dig through the code to confirm). You are much closer to "nothing working in your favor" than "ideal circumstances".

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: evil bones or too small a prediction pool? 03/03/2013 06:27 PM CST
As noted, it gets better as you go. Time invested in the tool is key, as is full pull prediction. No input on stats or other weird variables. It's slow going though. Expect to spend a couple months of full predictions building your tool to "worth the risk" then substantially more building it to "it really matters and I need it now."

Caveat, lots of tweaking happening!
Re: evil bones or too small a prediction pool? 03/03/2013 06:44 PM CST
given the time investment, i'd honestly almost prefer to just wait until my preferred tool is available. at the moment it's a toss up between a sandstone bowl, and the charts, both of which were not ready for 3.0 as of when I last checked.

Re: evil bones or too small a prediction pool? 03/03/2013 08:59 PM CST
<<given the time investment, i'd honestly almost prefer to just wait until my preferred tool is available.>>

I think that's a very good idea, particularly if your MM has good "base" astro/charisma/wisdom (I forget which stat, or both, helps visions). In my experience at the upper end a bit, visions are much better results until the tool starts to turn a good bit (which does take a long time).
Re: evil bones or too small a prediction pool? 03/03/2013 09:00 PM CST
>> given the time investment, i'd honestly almost prefer to just wait until my preferred tool is available. at the moment it's a toss up between a sandstone bowl, and the charts, both of which were not ready for 3.0 as of when I last checked.

This is definitely not a bad idea. Vocals are actually pretty good under the new system. If i recall correctly your curse rate is more directly affected by astrology and it starts off much better then a regular store bought tool. You could definitely use vocals until the new tools come out. It will also give you a chance to train charisma up which helps in the bonding process. My charisma is now 52, the highest I've ever had it on any character.
Re: evil bones or too small a prediction pool? 03/05/2013 01:42 AM CST
>> Vocals are actually pretty good under the new system.

Vocals?
Re: evil bones or too small a prediction pool? 03/05/2013 03:15 AM CST
>> Vocals?

Voice predictions. No tools. What's the right word for it?
Re: evil bones or too small a prediction pool? 03/05/2013 07:29 AM CST
Visions?
Re: evil bones or too small a prediction pool? 03/05/2013 02:03 PM CST
I've been getting ~50/50 from visions at ~100 Astrology.
Re: evil bones or too small a prediction pool? 03/05/2013 05:21 PM CST
At that level of astrology I wouldn't expect results much different than using a raw tool.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: evil bones or too small a prediction pool? 03/06/2013 11:40 PM CST
"At that level of astrology I wouldn't expect results much different than using a raw tool."

wouldn't that imply that using a tool now would be of benefit?

low skill : raw tool vs no tool = nearly same curse/bonus rate.
high skill: bonded tool > raw tool ?> no tool

is the time to bond similar to the time for better no-tool predictions?

Re: evil bones or too small a prediction pool? 03/06/2013 11:58 PM CST
I think st high skill/stats, no-tool visions are better than unbonded tools.

<<is the time to bond similar to the time for better no-tool predictions?>>

Not sure what you mean by this, but I think the answer might be: bonding a tool is worth the time in all cases.
Re: evil bones or too small a prediction pool? 03/07/2013 01:29 AM CST
Think of it like a power scale:

New tool ____V_____________________ Capped tool.

Where exactly visions rest depends on your skill. With almost no skill it's going to be at the very bottom of the scale right next to a new tool. With lots of skill it's going to move up that scale, but it will never match the capped tool (Or even get particularly close to it really).

-Raesh

Re: evil bones or too small a prediction pool? 03/07/2013 02:46 AM CST
>>is the time to bond similar to the time for better no-tool predictions?

Traim, I think this question can be rephrased as, "is the time it takes to get a worthwhile bond with a tool similar to the time it takes to build up enough skill so that Visions are worthwhile?"

The answer is, however, pretty much that we don't know. My guess is that tool bonding will take longer but is a much bigger payout over the long term. But that's just a guess.

-- Player of Eyuve