Targets Circle: 10
Target's evasion: 36
Target's shield: 28
Target's reflex: 14

casters TM 810
casters disc 99

100 mana fully targeted cast

You gesture at Keroo.
You deftly contribute enough of your harnessed streams to maximize the pattern's potential.
A wee ebony sliver suddenly swings from orbiting around your head and flies toward Keroo!
The ebony sliver is partially blocked as it glances off his crocodile-skin buckler.
The ebony sliver lands a good strike (3/22) to his abdomen!
The ebony sliver explodes into even tinier multicolored fragments and vanishes!
A wee ebony sliver suddenly swings from orbiting around your head and flies toward Keroo!
The ebony sliver is partially blocked as it glances off his crocodile-skin buckler.
The ebony sliver lands a solid hit (4/22) to his right leg!
The ebony sliver lands a solid hit (4/22) to his head!
Keroo is lightly stunned!
The ebony sliver lands a hard hit (5/22) to his right hand!
The ebony sliver lands a solid hit (4/22) to his abdomen!

Roundtime: 1 sec.

Vitality left 48%

How the crap?

-Serc

""It's a hell of a thing, killing some text. Take away all the numbers and letters and punctuation it's got, and all the numbers and letters and punctuation it's ever gonna have." -- Clint Eastwood, Unforgiven."-- Bahb.
Re: TM damage 02/27/2013 10:01 AM CST
Multishot spells have a fairly hard cap on per shot damage. TKT did not use to respect it. It does now.

Even in cases of extreme differences in skill one shots are suppose to be rare.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: TM damage 02/27/2013 10:30 AM CST
Should that be "It does now." ?

TG, TG, GL, et al.

"Disagreement with the fundamental plan at this point is akin to supporting Richard III vs the Tudors."
-Raesh
Re: TM damage 02/27/2013 10:37 AM CST
Sure.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: TM damage 02/27/2013 11:13 AM CST

Ugh. Spells aren't going through the overkill mechanics?
Re: TM damage 02/27/2013 02:30 PM CST
I one shot him with my weapons just fine every time. Is this rarefied one shot specific to multicast spells? spells in general?

-Serc

""It's a hell of a thing, killing some text. Take away all the numbers and letters and punctuation it's got, and all the numbers and letters and punctuation it's ever gonna have." -- Clint Eastwood, Unforgiven."-- Bahb.
Re: TM damage 02/27/2013 03:43 PM CST
>> I one shot him with my weapons just fine every time. Is this rarefied one shot specific to multicast spells? spells in general?

Probably related to overkill mechanics for weapons, which does not seem to be in place for TM spells.
Re: TM damage 02/28/2013 02:45 PM CST
Yeah, TM damage seems really low. Got in a fight with someone yesterday, and my spells were hitting like a pillow, I actually had to kill him with weapons cause TM wasn't doing it. You'd think 450 TM with 70 mana full prep casts would be better at dealing damage than 290 Small Edged, but it's not even close.
Re: TM damage 02/28/2013 05:12 PM CST
TM is tricky. If targeted magic is as good as a weapon, then being weapon tertiary has little impact on us because our primary weapon (tm) learns at a primary rate. I would prefer target magic to be a tertiary skill and make tm as effective as weapons. With that said, I know that will never happen.
Re: TM damage 02/28/2013 06:47 PM CST
TM is still limited by mana, a restriction weapons don't have. Yes, weapons use stamina, but that limitation drops over extremely quickly, where as mana is an issue for your entire magic using career. I would like to see TM be much closer to weapons as far as damage goes, however I'm willing to accept somewhere in the between there and where it is now.

Chatter[Sava] well I bled all night and didn't become diseased
Chatter[Tincan] That's what she said?
Re: TM damage 02/28/2013 10:13 PM CST
In my opinion, weapons are better than TM in every way except for AOE and DFA options, both of which can (and have been, for DFA) addressed in their own right without establishing some general "TM must suck at damage" default. To my knowledge, there are no abilities in the game that completely prevent your weapon using ability. Counters/limitations/barriers to TM are legion. Didn't Armifer say they're tweaking things to a level field before considering more global adjustments? I'll hang my hat on that process.
Re: TM damage 03/01/2013 05:06 AM CST

>>TM is tricky. If targeted magic is as good as a weapon, then being weapon tertiary has little impact on us because our primary weapon (tm) learns at a primary rate. I would prefer target magic to be a tertiary skill and make tm as effective as weapons. With that said, I know that will never happen.

This is not a valid reason at all and is completely flawed logically. No offense. Ideally a TM spell should be comparable to a bow, and at max mana be just shy of a capped/rare material bow+ammo while being notably lower damage at min prep than a storebought bow + ammo. Non-rare material capped bow and TM should meet somewhere half way down the mana line.

As to why its not a valid reason, swap weapon and magic around and replace the implied magic user with barbarian and make the statement again to see if it makes any sense.

The Light is Crimson through the Darkness.
Re: TM damage 03/01/2013 05:59 AM CST
> As to why its not a valid reason, swap weapon and magic around and replace the implied magic user with barbarian and make the statement again to see if it makes any sense.

"Dances and berserks are tricky. If they're as good as spell buffs, then being magic tertiary has little impact on us, because our primary buffs (IF) learn at a primary rate. I would prefer IF to be a tertiary skill and make dances and berserks as effective as spell buffs."

Looks like good reasoning to me. Using your primary skillset to replace a tert or secondary skillset is a valid concern. It's why Barbarians and Thieves are moving onto the magic system. Making TM tert is a solution, but certainly not the only solution; my preference would be for adding enough differences in application that TM's not a simple replacement for a weapon. Non-trivial mana costs is a good part of that.
Re: TM damage 03/01/2013 07:46 AM CST
It's not good reasoning. Why is TM considered "replacing" weapons and not vice-versa? It's like me saying rangers' weapons should suck because it's short-cutting their intended tert limitation on TM.
Re: TM damage 03/01/2013 10:01 AM CST
Traim,
could you expand on your reasoning? for some reason, it's just not clicking with me. i guess i tend to look at just like illiena's response on barbarian's and their inner fire.
Re: TM damage 03/01/2013 10:09 AM CST
>>Using your primary skillset to replace a tert or secondary skillset is a valid concern.

I don't follow this. Using TM to replace weapons is the entire theme of warrior mages and generally the combat focus of the other magic prime guilds. Why should TM be hamstrung and not treated like any other primary skill?
Re: TM damage 03/01/2013 10:24 AM CST
I guess for me it's just that making target magic learn at a slower rate but be equivalent to weapon ranks is more honest. 1100 ranks in target magic does not equal 1100 ranks in a weapon. It's just easier to evaluate your offensive prowess if 1100 ranks meant 1100 ranks. Right now I would roughly guess that 1100 ranks in TM is equivalent to 800 ranks of HE (with the emphasis on roughly).
Re: TM damage 03/01/2013 10:31 AM CST
>>I guess for me it's just that making target magic learn at a slower rate but be equivalent to weapon ranks is more honest.

Honest to what though? DR's game design is that different guild's learn their skillsets at different rates and that my 100 in whatever is worth the same as your 100 in whatever even if one of us learned it twice as fast. I don't understand why TM should be singled out as different?
Re: TM damage 03/01/2013 10:51 AM CST
As someone who primarily plays a non-magic user, don't see why TM damage should not be roughly comparable to weapon damage. Skillset placement shouldn't factor into this equation. TM has wonderful benefits that weapons generally lack (multi-shot, AOE, DFA, choosing damage types) but is also restricted by additional measures like magic resistance (of some critters), barrier spells and mana.

TM damage is low across the board right now, I think that's universally accepted.
Re: TM damage 03/01/2013 03:28 PM CST
<<Traim,
could you expand on your reasoning?>>

The assumption underlying the relevant assertion I was opposing is: TM is "copying" weapons. Thus, it is a shortcut around intended weapon skillset drawbacks, and thus, its gimpness is acceptable. I don't think there is any basis for the underlying assumption. It could just as easily be said that weapons are copying TM, and giving magic terts a shortcut around intended magic skillset drawbacks, thus weapons should be gimped vs TM rank for rank. I guess the main point is that TM and weapons are parallel but equal systems.

Maybe there are supposed to be power discrepancies between them, but if that's the case, it should not be justified by the argument above. It's an interesting argument to consider, I just don't think it's based on a fair assumption. That's just my take, and as a general matter, I don't think it's worth arguing. I am willing to wager that the GMs will not approve a gimped TM system on the grounds that "it serves those dirty mages right for trying to get around weapon use!"

Then again...

Hah.
Re: TM damage 03/01/2013 03:44 PM CST

>>"Dances and berserks are tricky. If they're as good as spell buffs, then being magic tertiary has little impact on us, because our primary buffs (IF) learn at a primary rate. I would prefer IF to be a tertiary skill and make dances and berserks as effective as spell buffs."

Your misunderstanding whats going on in this quote, that or your understanding it perfectly and applying it to a completely different concept.

A more proper way of what is happening there would be if Astrology allowed us to wear arm-worn large shields.

The Light is Crimson through the Darkness.
Re: TM damage 03/02/2013 11:39 AM CST
> Why is TM considered "replacing" weapons and not vice-versa?

Because it's very hard to argue that the primary purpose of the Weapons skillset is anything other than dealing damage. Meanwhile, the Magic skillset does loads even without its damaging capabilities.

> Your misunderstanding whats going on in this quote, that or your understanding it perfectly and applying it to a completely different concept.

Or you're drawing distinctions based on unimportant details. In both versions, the quote raises concerns about gaining the primary benefit of one of your tertiary skillsets without needing to suffer through the tertiary learning rate. The quote then suggests tying that benefit to a tertiary skill as a solution. This is what's relevant to the argument, and it's common to both.
Re: TM damage 03/02/2013 11:45 AM CST
Has anyone tried strange arrow yet? I tried sparring someone, and I couldn't hurt them at all. None of the spells would really hurt. This is of course he was fully buffed. We were on equal ground if anything. He owned me fairly decent once he got pass my shear juggling. I throw 100 mana in TKT, PD, DO, and burn. I never used SLS because it was day light. Couldn't do a dent. Several casts. I noticed I cast Strange arrow, and it seemed to be fairly nice. Wondered if anyone has had any luck with strange arrow. Yes I know if we just wait, our magic will come be worked out. Not a complaint, just looking for an alternate damaging spell that we have access to that doesn't hit like a nerf gun currently.
Re: TM damage 03/10/2013 12:53 PM CDT
Stra seems to be the only TM spell with balls in the MM arsenal atm besides SLS. which is gonna suck when the preview is over. in TF most of the MM Tm spells i have tested are just...disappointing. almost 170 tm and a sand sprite dodged a full targeted burn. when it hits it does scratches. thats with 400ish lunar magic.
As a magic primary guild TM should be our "sword" why should i train a bunch of weapons to kill a critter when i have all this magic to play with?
can we get a red post telling us what they plan to do about it?
Re: TM damage 03/10/2013 03:51 PM CDT
I hadn't had the time to test strange arrow yet, but that was my theory was it was stronger than our other tm spells. Aside from SLS. SLS is probably to powerful, but I am not complaining. Hate to see it tweaked before the others are.
Re: TM damage 03/10/2013 03:56 PM CDT
STRA isn't any stronger, but it is doing a damage type that Moon Mages currently have no other access to (Electricity).

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: TM damage 03/10/2013 04:48 PM CDT
Mmm. Why can't be control the weather again? Oh ya, Warmages might cry.
Re: TM damage 03/10/2013 05:11 PM CDT
> STRA isn't any stronger, but it is doing a damage type that Moon Mages currently have no other access to (Electricity).

I really miss my CRS.
Re: TM damage 03/12/2013 12:28 AM CDT
STRA isn't any stronger, but it is doing a damage type that Moon Mages currently have no other access to (Electricity).

are there any plans to beef up MM tm spell damage or we just stuck with a spell that is only castable half the time?
and if we're to rely on it any chance of a sunlight sphere? i mean we can harness the powers of the celestrial bodies so why not?
Re: TM damage 03/12/2013 12:33 AM CDT
>>are there any plans to beef up MM tm spell damage or we just stuck with a spell that is only castable half the time?

DO - All the time.
TKT - All the time.
TKS - All the time.
Burn - Most of the time.
PD - All the time.
SLS - Night only.

That's a lot more than one spell only usable half the time. Otherwise all MM TM spells go through the same core mechanics as every other TM spell, anything that changes the core will change them.

-Raesh

Re: TM damage 03/12/2013 12:55 AM CDT

DO - All the time. not on scale with tm and lunar magic for damage
TKT - All the time. multistrike still doing weak damage
TKS - All the time. aoe does weak damage
Burn - Most of the time. not on scale with tm and lunar magic for damage
PD - All the time. not on scale with tm and lunar magic for damage
SLS - Night only. only tm spell worth it atm through testing. this spell rocks and is only at night.

if it's not night time i usually don't even bother hunting unless i've still got sls up from previous night.
the other spells we have are a joke damagewise.
with a fully prepped tks at 30 mana i get 2/34 to 4/34 strikes
same with tkt fully prepped and targeted.
burn produces unsightly scratches the first couple casts (if it hits) 20 mana full prep and target.
pd... i casted it a couple times and it's damage is worse then burn.
do would be second to sls as far as damage goes from testing but it's still no where near as good as sls imo.
going to get with Funk sometime and see if he's had better results on the opposite end of the skill spectrum.
Re: TM damage 03/12/2013 01:13 AM CDT
>> the other spells we have are a joke damagewise.

Magic is broke. :P Waiting on Socharis to fix it. Someone just tested it and int/wis isn't tied to TM damage.
Re: TM damage 03/12/2013 01:18 AM CDT
well...that...explains alot. /facepalm
Re: TM damage 03/12/2013 02:26 AM CDT
I don't know how many times I can say this: All TM goes through the same core. All TM uses the same mechanics. All TM uses the same damage templates.

There is no "Make this TM spell weak" button. It just doesn't exist.

The only exception right now is spells that do 2 vs 3 types of damage (For multishots 2 types of damage takes their already crippled damage down by as much as a 1/3rd further per shot and for single shot that lacks those caps two damage types just does more damage and contests less resistances).

-Raesh

Re: TM damage 03/12/2013 11:16 AM CDT
<<That's a lot more than one spell only usable half the time. Otherwise all MM TM spells go through the same core mechanics as <<every other TM spell, anything that changes the core will change them.

Except that it is our only TM cyclic. I don't see empaths having to limit when they can use their warrior or warmies having to worry about when ring of spears/fire rain/etc are "good to go." They just put the spell up and go. Given the amount of feedback across the board about how all players want this spell to be castable "whenever" I don't understand your reluctance. If we are using the same core mechanics as a Guardian Spirit, ring of spears, etc...then how is it NOT unbalanced that we can only cast this spell half the time?

Honestly our TM spells are so broken right now I don't even use them in combat anymore... and that is sad.
Re: TM damage 03/12/2013 11:28 AM CDT
>Honestly our TM spells are so broken right now I don't even use them in combat anymore... and that is sad.

How many moderate mana casts is it taking for you to kill at at level critter?

I agree that TM damage is a little underwhelming, but as a non-Moonie I'm killing at level in 6-8 fully targeted casts, which seems high but not unreasonable to me.
Re: TM damage 03/12/2013 11:37 AM CDT
I haven't tested critter combat. I did use TKS during an invasion in shard that I just stumbled upon, and I really loved it. Against players on the other hand. Our magic is bad outside of SLS. SLS probably needs a slight nerf, but I haven't really tested it to know how much. PD was really weak in test, and sometime in prime it seemed okay and now it is bad again. This is all before the tweaking that suppose to allow mentals help with TM. I still haven't tested it yet since then. I do believe everything will get better in time. We just have to be patient. The GMs clearly know our problems and issues, but they can't adjust all targeted spells up until they make sure all the spells are acting as they suppose to be on the global scale. I know the big issue they trying to solve is multi shot spells. I play several guilds, and they all have spells that are more powerful than others are. Sadly we got the short end of the stick currently as far as that goes. But vs creatures, I don't see a huge problem, but again I haven't really tested it.
Re: TM damage 03/12/2013 03:10 PM CDT
>SLS probably needs a slight nerf, but I haven't really tested it to know how much.

Out of curiosity how much more of a nerf do you think this spell needs? It's only castable at night. Being cyclic if you do hold it up during the day you either don't cast moongate, sov or any other future cyclic spells or you lose SLS till the next night. With the exception of IOTS it would be hard to find a spell with more restrictions on casting.
Re: TM damage 03/12/2013 03:16 PM CDT
I do agree with you that it should be more powerful than normal spells since it is restricted 50% of the time. Compared to our normal spells, and sls, I think its to much more powerful. Say they keep it the way it is, and then they go to global TM toggle, and up damage on all tm, sls will just get stronger, and therefor complained about, and therefor they may town global down again. I haven't tested as much as I could, but folks with 450 in defensives, vs my 450 tm, SLS seems to stun them first hit, and just plows them fairly fast. I love it. Based on what I can do with my TM spells, casting full prep, with more mana, it certainly a bit more powerful. I only said slight, I don't think it needs a huge downtweak. I assume it might be a global adjustment on all cyclic tm spells.
Re: TM damage 03/12/2013 05:04 PM CDT
>> I don't know how many times I can say this: All TM goes through the same core. All TM uses the same mechanics. All TM uses the same damage templates.

Raesh, did you see Armifers post about fixing the stat bug with TM? And then subsequently testing showed using RESPECT showed 0 difference in stats.
Prev_page Previous 1