Sever Thread 12/02/2011 08:14 PM CST
What the hell happened to this spell. I knew it was supposed to have been nerfed but holy crap. I was taking a look to see what it still did and the bard with 36 disc I was testing it on (Serc has 60 charisma) couldn't tell anything was happening to her besides the messaging.

Right now this spell does nothing except garner forbidden practices in a city.

why?

-Serc

""It's a hell of a thing, killing some text. Take away all the numbers and letters and punctuation it's got, and all the numbers and letters and punctuation it's ever gonna have." -- Bahb.
Re: Sever Thread 12/02/2011 09:40 PM CST
my limited testing has shown that its a very mana dependent spell.
As good almost kill a man as kill a good book; who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were in the eye.
-John Milton
Re: Sever Thread 12/03/2011 05:08 PM CST
I was casting at cap.

Do you have experience with it accomplishing anything negative for the target?

I was thinking that maybe I'm getting high end immobilization, but maybe that the possible duration of the immobilization is so insanely short that it effectively does nothing.

I dunno. I'm going to play around with it a little more. However, having to play around with a spell to see if it actually does anything at all is a little disheartening.

-Serc

""It's a hell of a thing, killing some text. Take away all the numbers and letters and punctuation it's got, and all the numbers and letters and punctuation it's ever gonna have." -- Clint Eastwood, Unforgiven."-- Bahb.
Re: Sever Thread 12/03/2011 05:55 PM CST
So. I hate it when I'm guilty of knee jerk reactions. My initial testing was poorly done.

Now that I'm controlling the subject being tested on, the results are really not that bad.

-Serc

""It's a hell of a thing, killing some text. Take away all the numbers and letters and punctuation it's got, and all the numbers and letters and punctuation it's ever gonna have." -- Clint Eastwood, Unforgiven."-- Bahb.
Re: Sever Thread 12/03/2011 09:26 PM CST

>>I was thinking that maybe I'm getting high end immobilization, but maybe that the possible duration of the immobilization is so insanely short that it effectively does nothing.

It only immobilizes, this maybe the result that is happening however. Happened with a friend of mine, I kept immobilizing him but only for a second. Its still a pretty bad spell it never lasts for more than a few seconds.

Though its good for casting on something/someone then using another spell, predict sever, cast. Only real use I've found. I don't pvp, I have used it on people but for purely for amusement and not for anything else.

Its rather unimpressive. It is however, an extremely flashy spell that gets a "WOAH, Whats that!" reaction when cast.
As good almost kill a man as kill a good book; who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were in the eye.
-John Milton
Re: Sever Thread 12/04/2011 09:10 AM CST
>>Though its good for casting on something/someone then using another spell, predict sever, cast. Only real use I've found. I don't pvp, I have used it on people but for purely for amusement and not for anything else.

Sever Thread is a spell that allows you to remotely immobilize/stun/unbalance the victim multiple times. It's really a very neat spell: with middling success you can stun someone when they're hunting for about ~7 seconds and really ruin their day. The spell lasts a long time to provide a large window of opportunity, allows you to peek at the target without using something obvious like Locate, and allows multiple abuses with high levels of Astrology.

It will not be a spell that you use for your every-day hunting routine, but it's definitely an interesting and worthwhile spell if you enjoy griefing others.
Vibrant orange flames seem to flicker in the Solomon's GM eyes, capturing your attention with a mesmerising stare.
You feel a calm wash over you, but you think about internet arguments and nerd rage, and it goes away.
Re: Sever Thread 12/04/2011 11:45 AM CST
"Sever Thread is a spell that allows you to remotely immobilize/stun/unbalance the victim multiple times."

From what I've been able to tell, part of the changes that took place to Sever Thread is that the only outcome possible is now immobilization.

I've now tested on a range of characters smaller and bigger than mine and there has never been a stun, always immobilization.

The spell really isn't that bad and I'm embarrassed I flew off the handle with my first post.

-Serc

Re: Sever Thread 12/04/2011 11:49 AM CST
>>I've now tested on a range of characters smaller and bigger than mine and there has never been a stun, always immobilization.

Thanks for the update. I was the guinea pig with a Moonie friend when the spell first released. If changes have been made to the spell since then, I am unaware of them. In the original version, with low success, it was possible you'd only hit the target's balance. If immobilization is guaranteed with success now, I'd consider that an uptweak.
Vibrant orange flames seem to flicker in the Solomon's GM eyes, capturing your attention with a mesmerising stare.
You feel a calm wash over you, but you think about internet arguments and nerd rage, and it goes away.