Enchanting Quest - Fade 10/16/2011 12:48 AM CDT
I've helped many moon mages with the enchanting quest. Tonight I tried to help another.

Well, guess what!

We can't open moongates to Fade anymore. Some proud GM changed that.

Never mind this being a multi player game.

Never mind helping people.

You do an incredible backflip with a beautiful twist rotation, gaining nearly five feet of air and landing neatly on your feet without so much as a wobble!
Re: Enchanting Quest - Fade 10/16/2011 01:01 AM CDT
At the risk of being pessimistic, what is your actual complaint?

How does not being able to open a gate to him make the quest anything more than slightly less convenient? You're making it sound nigh-unplayable now, as if any Moon Mage who wants to learn enchanting is now out of luck because they can't take the Moon Elevator directly to him.
Malkien
Re: Enchanting Quest - Fade 10/16/2011 01:51 AM CDT
This was an intentional change to prevent the abuse of a bug in that area.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Enchanting Quest - Fade 10/16/2011 11:02 AM CDT

>>I've helped many moon mages with the enchanting quest. Tonight I tried to help another.

>>Well, guess what!

>>We can't open moongates to Fade anymore. Some proud GM changed that.

>>Never mind this being a multi player game.

>>Never mind helping people.

You can still open gates a room or two away.
Re: Enchanting Quest - Fade 10/16/2011 02:41 PM CDT
>This was an intentional change to prevent the abuse of a bug in that area.

Fine, put a quest in an area where not one person I've ever met has been "combat ready" to go. Do as you please.

I was able to help people through this area. Now it seems that was a bug.

I am beginning to believe if there is something enjoyable about the game it gets removed.

I've been told this before, now I'm beginning to believe it.

You do an incredible backflip with a beautiful twist rotation, gaining nearly five feet of air and landing neatly on your feet without so much as a wobble!
Re: Enchanting Quest - Fade 10/16/2011 02:55 PM CDT
>Fine, put a quest in an area where not one person I've ever met has been "combat ready" to go. Do as you please.

Ya, it's not like Rezz is...oh, wait.

How about Infuse?

MF?

FoU?

Hrm, I'm sensing a pattern! It's almost as though...these quests are 'designed' for people of a much higher level....but the designers allowed much lower level people to attempt them with aid...

How terrible! Let us all whine and cry like 3 year olds at them!

Coming from me, that should probably sting a little.
Re: Enchanting Quest - Fade 10/16/2011 03:00 PM CDT
Just because you have been able to gate people directly to Fade in the past doesn't mean it wasn't a bug and shouldn't be fixed. You've been told that the alternate solution is to gate to a spot that's a pace or two away from him, it's not that game breaking of a change.
Re: Enchanting Quest - Fade 10/16/2011 03:55 PM CDT

>>Fine, put a quest in an area where not one person I've ever met has been "combat ready" to go. Do as you please.

You can still gate them past the thugs.

>>I was able to help people through this area. Now it seems that was a bug.

You can still gate them to within a room or two of fade.

>>I am beginning to believe if there is something enjoyable about the game it gets removed.

What's been removed, exactly? You can still gate them to within a room or two of fade.

>>I've been told this before, now I'm beginning to believe it.

I'm telling you that it's not true, so now you have a data point on the other side of the argument.
Re: Enchanting Quest - Fade 10/16/2011 04:09 PM CDT
For the record, gating to him was not the bug, however the lack of being able to gate to him is a side effect of fixing said bug due to technical limitations that are unlikely to be fixed any time soon. As others have said, you can still gate quite close to him, just not TO him.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: Enchanting Quest - Fade 10/16/2011 04:10 PM CDT
>>Hrm, I'm sensing a pattern! It's almost as though...these quests are 'designed' for people of a much higher level....but the designers allowed much lower level people to attempt them with aid...

You actually don't even have to depart from the moon mage guild to do it.

Cantrip knowledge, Veiled Identity, and some other cantrips are all in places that are higher level than what is actually required to get them.

Veiled Identity laughably so since its technically achievable at something like 15th circle... its also in 'dillos.

As good almost kill a man as kill a good book; who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were in the eye.
-John Milton
Re: Enchanting Quest - Fade 10/16/2011 04:15 PM CDT
I recall many years ago having no difficulty getting to Fade by myself, as a 39th circle Moon Mage with terrible combats.

Moon Mages are somewhere around the last guild to complain about needing to stand there and take a beating.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Enchanting Quest - Fade 10/16/2011 05:10 PM CDT
Ok, ok.

Mentioned many times now is gating a room or two away.

That room is the one where you fall. We both died

You all are helpful. Someday you will see what I mean.

Re: Enchanting Quest - Fade 10/16/2011 06:04 PM CDT
>>Veiled Identity laughably so since its technically achievable at something like 15th circle... its also in 'dillos.

In the cantrip's defense... it was there before 'dillos. Of course, what lived there before wasn't exactly friendly either...

-Raesh

Re: Enchanting Quest - Fade 10/16/2011 06:26 PM CDT
>You all are helpful. Someday you will see what I mean.

Just because people disagree with you does not (in fact, in several glaring instances here, the opposite is blazingly true) indicate they do not have first hand experience with this.

I have completed the FoU, Rezz, and Infusion quests, at or below 48th circle. Rezz is populated by Cinder beasts, basilisks, shadow beasts, and hierophants. FoU populated by Atik'ets, supple/muscular firecats, and Westanuryns. Infusion is populated by laches (and pointedly requires killing at least 3, and skinning them for claws), bone mastiffs, shylvic, bone golems, and bloodwraiths.

For comparison, the cleric requirements at 48th circle are below 170 in a single weapon.

All areas involve puzzles, hefty RT, a chance of falling/being stunned/being ambushed, and probably more; minimal survival requirements, but 50-100 ranks in swim/climb (50 with massive CJ, ranger spells, and other boosters). I died. I departed. I whined and swore at people in IMs. I did not demand game systems be changed or bugs revised. I did, however, ask for help, and have an entertaining time traveling with people, instead of downloading and running .questcomplete and then whining about how I had to port in several rooms away instead of direct to the finish line.
Re: Enchanting Quest - Fade 10/16/2011 06:32 PM CDT
Is getting to Fade REALLY that much of a problem? I never once had difficulty with this. I've been there three times (twice for myself, once helping someone else find it) and I don't even HAVE moongate.

GETTING to Fade wasn't near as hard as getting the XXXXX from the XXXXXXXXXX to APPEASE him (not sure how much of this quest is still "secret"), considering combat skills involved.

Just be careful, walk slowly, and be prepared to climb.
Re: Enchanting Quest - Fade 10/16/2011 06:48 PM CDT
>>Is getting to Fade REALLY that much of a problem? I never once had difficulty with this. I've been there three times (twice for myself, once helping someone else find it) and I don't even HAVE moongate.

It can be hazardous. It's not without risk, even using the Moon Mage toolset, but that's kind of the point.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Enchanting Quest - Fade 10/16/2011 08:03 PM CDT
The auto-death fall from near Fade is infuriating. I don't know of another place in game where you just walk...and die. That is all. No comment on gate bug stuff.
Re: Enchanting Quest - Fade 10/16/2011 08:16 PM CDT

Protip: Dont just walk.
Re: Enchanting Quest - Fade 10/16/2011 09:43 PM CDT
>In the cantrip's defense... it was there before 'dillos. Of course, what lived there before wasn't exactly friendly either...

Plus (I think) it was before the Astral Plane, PC ships, or SM-ing to people (not that there was really anyone to shift to). Although we did have real RF/invisibility to avoid the bones.

-Artificer Nilassa
Re: Enchanting Quest - Fade 10/16/2011 09:57 PM CDT
> I did, however, ask for help, and have an entertaining time traveling with people, instead of downloading and running .questcomplete and then whining about how I had to port in several rooms away instead of direct to the finish line.

I guess that's part of my point. Sure, make the area too hard to complete the quest, but make helping something worthwhile.

Re: Enchanting Quest - Fade 10/16/2011 10:03 PM CDT
>>but make helping something worthwhile.

Helping doesn't have to mean bypassing all the risk and the fall to your death mechanic is somewhat random, depart items and try it again, you're only out a few favors and you're still helping your friend immensely by gating them a few rooms away from fade, past the thugs.
Re: Enchanting Quest - Fade 10/16/2011 10:31 PM CDT
>The auto-death fall from near Fade is infuriating. I don't know of another place in game where you just walk...and die. That is all. No comment on gate bug stuff.

It's also not auto-death...your odds are just kinda high.

-Coralin
Re: Enchanting Quest - Fade 10/16/2011 10:34 PM CDT
>>Plus (I think) it was before the Astral Plane, PC ships, or SM-ing to people (not that there was really anyone to shift to). Although we did have real RF/invisibility to avoid the bones.

You are 100% correct on this on all three counts, it even IIRC predates enchanting. I however made the entire run without RF, also dragged one of my friend's dead body through there, and the ranged bone throw to the face wasn't nice. I had intestinal fortitude back then I'll give myself that.
As good almost kill a man as kill a good book; who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were in the eye.
-John Milton
Re: Enchanting Quest - Fade 10/16/2011 10:35 PM CDT

>>It's also not auto-death...your odds are just kinda high.

Burden helps a lot with this. Never go through there with anything higher than "none".
-John Milton
Re: Enchanting Quest - Fade 10/16/2011 11:16 PM CDT
In general most quests are hard enough that you'll either want to ask for help or work for a while longer on your skills before attempting it, depending on your options.

That Fade is now harder to reach probably had more to do with Guildfest, honestly. That or Lunar mana flares disrupting his calling mirror.

Either way, quests are meant to have a very real chance of being failed. You're a moon mage: death should come as no surprise.
Re: Enchanting Quest - Fade 10/17/2011 01:46 PM CDT

>>That Fade is now harder to reach probably had more to do with Guildfest, honestly. That or Lunar mana flares disrupting his calling mirror.

It might've had to do with people falling through as they walked through the moongate actually.
-John Milton
Re: Enchanting Quest - Fade 10/17/2011 01:57 PM CDT
To this day the mass voyage out to get that cantrip (Which was an all day affair, by the end of which I was the only survivor as others had trickled off before we finally arrived or died after...) is the only time I've set foot on some of the islands as a pc. Good times. That was back when you could say "Whelp, I'm done with THIS, someone get me a spirit beacon back to Crossing!"

-Raesh

Re: Enchanting Quest - Fade 10/17/2011 06:31 PM CDT
>>the only time I've set foot on some of the islands as a pc.

And as a frog?
Malkien
Re: Enchanting Quest - Fade 10/17/2011 08:00 PM CDT
RIP riftal summons kill button. You will be missed.
Re: Enchanting Quest - Fade 10/17/2011 08:02 PM CDT
Toad, not frog. And my GMly adventures have taken me to many of the islands more times than I care to really consider. I still get lost on most of them :(

-Raesh

Re: Enchanting Quest - Fade 10/17/2011 10:51 PM CDT
If you did that quest without RF, you're much braver than I am. I was probably invisible almost the entire trip from Ratha to Hara to the oasis.

I mean not only were there mummies but there used to be Thieves EVERYWHERE!

-Artificer Nilassa

P.S. I hope the mihmanans show up again somewhere someday.
Re: Enchanting Quest - Fade 10/19/2011 01:09 AM CDT
<<I mean not only were there mummies but there used to be Thieves EVERYWHERE!

I remember that.

"I'm stealing from you on the boat. Stealing from you on the boat. Now I'm stealing from you on the galley.

Man, you mainlanders are rubes."
Re: Enchanting Quest - Fade 12/19/2011 05:41 AM CST
<<The auto-death fall from near Fade is infuriating. I don't know of another place in game where you just walk...and die. That is all. No comment on gate bug stuff>>

hmm. you'd love opening the stairs in the necro guild. :-)

Preces meae non sunt dignae;Sed tu bonus fac benigne;Ne perenni cremer igne [Dies Irae]