Spell restrictions 09/24/2011 09:38 AM CDT

In today's world, the Moon Mage spell restrictions seem overly restrictive. Does it make sense that 36% of a magic primary's core spellbook is disabled due to environmental factors. This doesn't even count spells such as TKS, TKT, IOE, or shear.

Instead of completely disabled, I would prefer that spells received the dazzle treatment (+/- minimum cast), the IOE treatment (shards can act as a [limited] substitute to the moon), or some way to interact with a moon that's not visible - maybe astrology + pp?

* Completely unavailable if enough moons aren't up
Focus Moonbeam
Distant Gaze
Shift Moonbeam
Clarify Gem
Moonblade
Shift moonblade
Cage of light
Moon Gate
Teleport
Whole displacement
Contingency
Burn
Riftal Summons

* Requires night
Star light sphere
Shadowling
Re: Spell restrictions 09/24/2011 09:53 AM CDT
I can understand using shards to fuel IoE, CoL, Burn, and Dazzle, but nothing else on that list.
Re: Spell restrictions 09/24/2011 09:54 AM CDT
Sorry for double post:
Especially considering that we have three moons; even if they are perfectly in phase, you're only looking at a handful of hours in real time of there being no Moons up. When they are out of phase, you're looking at always having a moon up. Part of being a Moon mage is understanding the limitations of your spells, and picking accordingly. If you hunt with Burn, and don't like the moons being down, pick up any of the other non-moon requiring TM spells.
Re: Spell restrictions 09/24/2011 10:07 AM CDT
>>* Completely unavailable if enough moons aren't up
>>Moon Gate
>>Teleport
>>Burn

Incorrect.

While I don't disagree (nor really agree either) with your point, distorting facts doesn't help your argument.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Re: Spell restrictions 09/24/2011 10:23 AM CDT
How is this different from yesterday's world, where presumably you signed up knowing about these restrictions? I'd agree they're restrictive (by definition) but I don't think they're overly so.

Not that I would oppose some workarounds. My preferred: Mirkik Sokis meets Burn (mini-Death Star) and Dazzle.

-Artificer Nilassa

P.S. Shadowling also works during the day. And to support you, Tenebrous Sense is fairly useless outside of certain caves.
Re: Spell restrictions 09/24/2011 10:41 AM CDT

>> Incorrect.

I thought Burn required a moon, and that teleport/moongate kill you in interesting ways until 100th circle.
Re: Spell restrictions 09/24/2011 10:42 AM CDT
Not really. Moon mages are fully combat functional even with the moons down/during the day.

Is it nice to have CoL? Yeah. Is it weird that you can't use the sun to cast CoL? Yeah. But Seer's Sense is and probably always be the best buff Moonies have for combat. MAF duplicates a lot of the functionality of CoL, as well.

Not being able to gate without moons is...eh. You can still travel through the Ways.
Re: Spell restrictions 09/24/2011 10:51 AM CDT
Burn isn't completely dependent on moons, so theoretically you're only without it 6.25% of the time.

And while you don't need it for combat, it can definitely be a pain trying to get past a shield without it.

-Artificer Nilassa
Re: Spell restrictions 09/24/2011 02:33 PM CDT

>>Burn isn't completely dependent on moons, so theoretically you're only without it 6.25% of the time.

A long long time ago, even before katamba was made a viable moon for burn, they made it so it can use the sun at no penalty to power. Just to clarify what was stated here.

The focus moonbeam/teleport/moongate/riftal summons/whole displacement is lore based in that it does require a moon because it requires an anchor of sorts to use and thats fine. You can still use the ways to get to places.

The COL/Moonblade arguement is valid in that their use and effect isn't grand enough for shards not to be used. IOE is heavy on restrictions although the moons being out can be circumvented its still got its flaws, luckily this is going away in magic 3.0.

Same for Starlight sphere, its going away sorta, it'll be summon-able only at night but stick around long as the spell is cycling.

Shadowlings should probably have their restriction waived, but its not really limited to nighttime use only. It can still be used in the day granted that there is no visible daylight so its only a real hindrance while hunting.

Clarify gem restriction is a little funny at this point.

As was stated before though moon mages are completely combat functional even if theres no moon, we just have certain hindrances that make us preform better at night when the moons are out.
As good almost kill a man as kill a good book; who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were in the eye.
-John Milton
Re: Spell restrictions 09/24/2011 03:18 PM CDT
>>IOE is heavy on restrictions although the moons being out can be circumvented its still got its flaws, luckily this is going away in magic 3.0.

To clarify, IOE's revision is no longer themed on the moons at all. The same sort of restriction applies, but the new version is keyed to the planets rather than the moons. No "planet shards," but there's heavy redundancy across planets.

>>Shadowlings should probably have their restriction waived, but its not really limited to nighttime use only. It can still be used in the day granted that there is no visible daylight so its only a real hindrance while hunting.

I still honestly have no idea what I want to do with Shadowlings. I dislike how they currently exist from a game-design perspective, but I don't think I can justify removing the demon-shadow-kittens either.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Spell restrictions 09/24/2011 05:46 PM CDT
>>I thought Burn required a moon, and that teleport/moongate kill you in interesting ways until 100th circle.

As others have said:

Burn requires a moon, OR the sun.

Teleport or Moongate are required to enter the Astral Plane, so they still are function without a moon up. In fact, I almost never use Moongate or Teleport except for traveling in the Astral Plane anymore. Only when I want to make a quick trip somewhere to pick something up, and come right back.

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Re: Spell restrictions 09/24/2011 05:47 PM CDT
>> the new version is keyed to the planets

Cool. I like the idea of working the planets into our magic a bit more.

>> I still honestly have no idea what I want to do with Shadowlings.

I have a couple of ideas on that.

First, I would suggest retconning the lore to have the spell "actually" use existing shadows to create a conduit to the astral plane (or somewhere) with the intent of drawing mana into our plane, kind of like the ethereal fissure spell, only with the side effect of extra-planar forces animating said shadows into a creature.

Second, tie the critters into the new combat pet mechanics.

Third, give it a cast loud/quiet feature like a lot of 3.0 AOE spells The "loud" version being that the mage uses shadows from the area to form an independent shadowling. This shadowling, created from a large and independent mass of shadows provides a high attunement-regen rate to all moon mages in the room. It acts independently, but spends most of its time hiding. If it feels threatened by a creature or player, it hides, retreats, and leaves the room. If another "loud" shadowling enters the room, they advance in hiding, ambush, and fight to the death (mua ha ha!).

The quiet version would involve the caster explicitly using his or her own shadow in the spell, as opposed to ambient ones. This creates the attunement-regen ability for the caster only, and at a lower rate than the "loud" version. The offset is that this shadowling's behavior is now influenced by the caster's will as well as the extra-planar forces, and it will follow the caster around, even into combat, as an actual combat pet. I'm not saying it should be a terribly effective one, dealing lots of damage and whatnot, but a little hiding and sneaking, a swat or two, and an MO penalty versus the opponent would be nice. Not to mention attunement regeneration in combat. If we want to give it some spice, we can say that if a "quiet" shadowling dies in combat, either a) the mage takes a spirit or concentration hit, or b) the mage becomes shadowless for a period of time (visible in LOOK, please), during which he cannot summon another creature made of his or her own shadow (I could see shadow servant being made of the caster's own shadow as well).

I think that would also make it worth being a ritual spell, thus fitting into that "summoning spells are rituals" aesthetic you mentioned a while back.

so.... yeah. That's my idea. It might not even be possible (programming-wise), and I think this kind of direct interaction with the plane of probability might verge on sorcery, but... we could have underground shadowling-fighting tourneys, and make bets. And I want a combat pet, even if it is a crappy one.
Re: Spell restrictions 09/24/2011 06:33 PM CDT
>>BISCLAVRET

Pretty sweet ideas. I'm assuming both the LOUD and QUIET options of your proposal are cyclic since they involve a combat pet.

~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: Spell restrictions 09/24/2011 06:48 PM CDT
>> I'm assuming both the LOUD and QUIET options of your proposal are cyclic since they involve a combat pet.

Fine with me.
Re: Spell restrictions 09/25/2011 12:10 AM CDT

>>I still honestly have no idea what I want to do with Shadowlings. I dislike how they currently exist from a game-design perspective, but I don't think I can justify removing the demon-shadow-kittens either.

Well, shadowlings are pretty well vested in MM lore at this point seeing as the abundant of items wit their image on them.

Taking on a bit from Bisclavret's suggestion, since the whole combat pet thing is never going to happen. How about having the shadowling act a bit like Mirkik Sokis, you can cast it in the room with much cleaner interactions but with limitations or you can have it "stalk you" which lore wise would be that it remains in hiding giving you a bonus to your mana regen but not to anybody else in the room when cast this way it doesn't get chased away by light. Its not actually hidden just thats what the messaging will state in the perceive.
As good almost kill a man as kill a good book; who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were in the eye.
-John Milton
Re: Spell restrictions 09/25/2011 01:53 AM CDT
I like a lot of these ideas. But I'm also a bit skeptical that we can pull a combat pet out of shadowling.

I'd be fine seeing the spell as a low cost, mostly fluff thing that interacted in cool ways with other spells. Maybe it can be cast in various ways to give minor boosts to various things, but has cool verb/atmospheric options. I'd love to see it interact in some cool way with shadow web and shadow servant. Or do small delivery tasks. Or point people in hiding. Or maybe just having one out makes all perception checks in the room more difficult? Maybe it could interact in neat ways with hypnotize? Maybe just having one out could give a random "save" to attacks against us by other combat pets (sacrificial shadowling?).

To me, there's a lot to be said for the fun factor even if the ultimate utilization of the spell isn't all that mechanically helpful stat/skill wise. The sheer concept of summoning shadow creatures is awesome, and I don't want to see that go away.

PS: If we can we have shadowlings that give us barbarian-attack-immunity, ignore everything I just said.
Re: Spell restrictions 09/25/2011 11:26 AM CDT
<<I like a lot of these ideas. But I'm also a bit skeptical that we can pull a combat pet out of shadowling.

Heh, you'd think moonies would have like...a sentient mathematical equation as a combat pet. Isn't SLS basically a combat pet, though?

I personally find Shadowlings pretty annoying. I wish they would disappear when their moonie logged out, specifically.
Re: Spell restrictions 09/25/2011 04:12 PM CDT
>>I still honestly have no idea what I want to do with Shadowlings. I dislike how they currently exist from a game-design perspective, but I don't think I can justify removing the demon-shadow-kittens either.

Personally, I'd prefer it if the spell functionality existed in a different way (without summoning something), but we could still summon a (fluff) shadowling via a generic cantrip.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Spell restrictions 09/25/2011 05:03 PM CDT
>>Isn't SLS basically a combat pet, though?

Yup.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Spell restrictions 09/25/2011 08:59 PM CDT
I don't have TV, but I can see a combat shadowling acting like TV.

You do an incredible backflip with a beautiful twist rotation, gaining nearly five feet of air and landing neatly on your feet without so much as a wobble!
Re: Spell restrictions 09/25/2011 09:56 PM CDT
>>I don't have TV, but I can see a combat shadowling acting like TV.

You could see shadowling banally pandering to the lowest common denominator during sweeps week?
Malkien
Re: Spell restrictions 09/26/2011 03:08 AM CDT
>>I don't have TV, but I can see a combat shadowling acting like TV.

You see the shadowling clinging to the enemy's face so he/she can't see?

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Spell restrictions 09/26/2011 06:44 PM CDT

>>To clarify, IOE's revision is no longer themed on the moons at all. The same sort of restriction applies, but the new version is keyed to the planets rather than the moons. No "planet shards," but there's heavy redundancy across planets.

Okay I've been thinking about this and while this seems good and bad, since its loosing its moon dependency which wasn't really a dependency at all lets face it, but how much consideration is being taken into affect when considering the nature of the planets orbits or seasonal range. Its not uncommon to go quite a bit of time inbetween planet seasons where there is no planets about. Granted once a planet does come up it tends to stay up for awhile, and they aren't always limited to day/night. Just saying because I'm pretty sure there was a time where I spent about 3 or 4 weeks not too long ago without any planets being up in day or night. It was before Morleena rose though and that monster was around for awhile so My memory on the time frame might not be perfect. Still I'm pretty sure there are large gaps like that existing in the system.

Chaotic to the moons is one thing, since at least at one point in the day you'd have one moon up. But their might be points of large periods of time where no planet at all is up leaving the spell... dead.
-John Milton
Re: Spell restrictions 09/27/2011 02:42 AM CDT
>>But their might be points of large periods of time where no planet at all is up

I've been watching the planets extremely closely since day 117. I haven't hit a full IG year yet, but that's about 3/4 of one. I record their movements generally multiple times in a (RL) day. (I do it with a script -- I'm not completely nuts.)

My notes confirm your intuition. There was a period of about 50 IG days when there were no planets up -- roughly days 205-257. That's close to two RL weeks. After which time, Er'qutra (a day-only planet) rose and was the only planet visible for another 40 days (10 RL days).

I wouldn't panic yet though. We don't know yet how dependent the spell will be on planets actually being "up" -- it could depend on their position in orbit, or maybe the spell will be useable but just weaker when planets are down. Also, Raesh has said several times that the heavens are broken, which implies they might (maybe) one day get a fix.

At the very least, I expect that the GMs will take this feedback under consideration. I highly doubt they will give us a spell that is totally unusable for that kind of length of time.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: Spell restrictions 09/27/2011 09:28 AM CDT
I'm not sure I'd say the Heavens are "Broken". There are certainly some aspects that aren't quite right, and those tend to be related to the rise/set dates (Which is why the starcharts are wrong and guild leader info on planets when you learn them is sketchy at best). More the system is very cobbled together which makes it very hard to troubleshoot and use as a development platform.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose