RT observations by NMM 07/16/2011 09:58 AM CDT
I realize you don't want MM observing the sky fast, because they gain exp by doing so.

/rant on
However - A non-MM observing the sky at night gains NO exp. There is no IG benefit for a non-MM observing the sky at night. WHY in the name of all that is unholy does a NON-MM have to get a 51-sec RT for observing the sky at night??

/rant off

War is Peace, Truth is Lies. -george orwell
Re: RT observations by NMM 07/16/2011 12:04 PM CDT
If you observe moons, or observe sun, do you get the same messaging (is this for a RP deal)?

Re: RT observations by NMM 07/16/2011 08:34 PM CDT
if you observe moons, you can't actually see if the moons are really up, particularly in bad weather. you see that only by observing the sky.

And yes, its for RP reasons, for a rakash character who wants to keep track of what Katamba is doing :-).

Re: RT observations by NMM 07/16/2011 09:41 PM CDT
>And yes, its for RP reasons, for a rakash character who wants to keep track of what Katamba is doing :-).

They sold jewelry that reflects the stages of the moon. I like the extremely long RT for non-Moon Mages. But, this could be an easy alternative for you.

-Coralin

Cierzen whispers to your group, "I'm stone sober and the dragon isn't pink so I kind of think this is real."
Re: RT observations by NMM 07/16/2011 09:53 PM CDT
>>I like the extremely long RT for non-Moon Mages.

The RT matters less and less since newer versions of Front Ends for DR include widgets that let people know exactly when moons are rising and falling, let alone up or not.
Re: RT observations by NMM 07/16/2011 10:22 PM CDT
>I like the extremely long RT for non-Moon Mages. But, this could be an easy alternative for you.

Initially I disagreed with this, but on second thought, it makes absolutely no sense for the supposed masters of the heavens to get a long RT for doing something they routinely do, while the layperson is able to do it in an instant and get nearly, if not, identical info.
Re: RT observations by NMM 07/16/2011 10:58 PM CDT
>>it makes absolutely no sense for the supposed masters of the heavens to get a long RT for doing something they routinely do, while the layperson is able to do it in an instant and get nearly, if not, identical info.

Agreed.

It seems that what should really be done is to change the output for "observe moons" (and "observe Katamba/Xibar/Yavash") so that it's clear which moons are in the sky even if they are not visible.

Naturally this doesn't represent the character magically knowing that a moon is up even without seeing it, rather it's just something that someone sufficiently educated should know. So it fits well with what is already a scholarship check.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: RT observations by NMM 07/16/2011 11:47 PM CDT
The Heavens, as a system (Which Observe is an extension of) is one of the more terrifying tangles of spaghetti code I've encountered. A significant overhaul to it (and the astrology system in general) is on my radar but we're talking likely a year or two out at this point due to a number of higher priority projects on my plate. Hopefully someone else can tackle it before then, but otherwise I would expect few changes to the system beyond critical bug fixes and updates to be compatible with Skills 3.0.

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: RT observations by NMM 07/16/2011 11:48 PM CDT
FWIW: It does rather blow to have a huge RT when you are checking the sky. I get why it is there and why it should probably apply to everyone.

Madigan
Re: RT observations by NMM 07/17/2011 12:17 AM CDT
Whoever makes astrology ranks matter in predictions will become a small god to me.

That said, keep up the good work on the other stuff. Glad to hear this little observe idea is getting tacked to a list, even if it's low priority.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: RT observations by NMM 07/17/2011 05:58 AM CDT
>>Whoever makes astrology ranks matter in predictions will become a small god to me.

They do. I double checked.

Of course, you'll be happy if you don't ask me how or to what degree... (Also, I won't answer).

-Raesh

"Ever notice that B.A.'s flavor text swells in direct proportion to how much one of our characters is getting screwed?" - Brian Van Hoose
Re: RT observations by NMM 07/17/2011 07:38 AM CDT
>>They do. I double checked. Of course, you'll be happy if you don't ask me how or to what degree...

Well, that's... some small, small comfort. :-p

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: RT observations by NMM 07/17/2011 10:21 AM CDT
>>The RT matters less and less since newer versions of Front Ends for DR include widgets that let people know exactly when moons are rising and falling, let alone up or not.
Where can I find these widgets?
Re: RT observations by NMM 07/17/2011 12:01 PM CDT
>>The RT matters less and less since newer versions of Front Ends for DR include widgets that let people know exactly when moons are rising and falling, let alone up or not.
>Where can I find these widgets?

Insert obligatory 'Genie can do that!' post here:

Katamba SET in 2:10
Xibar SET in 2:09
Yavash RISE in 2:05
Sun SET in 1:20
Re: RT observations by NMM 07/17/2011 06:29 PM CDT
>>>Where can I find these widgets?

Avalon (Mac-only FE) also does it.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: RT observations by NMM 07/18/2011 12:45 AM CDT
And for those of us that use Wizard?

Re: RT observations by NMM 07/18/2011 01:41 AM CDT
>>And for those of us that use Wizard?

The argument was that, with widgets and plugins and etc that are available in newer front ends (both SIMU and third party made), it's not an awesome thing to have an extra-long RT for checking out moons when someone could easily bypass the game as a whole to know what's what.
Re: RT observations by NMM 07/18/2011 09:38 AM CDT
aha. so since this is the case then, why have this annoyingly large RT?

Re: RT observations by NMM 07/18/2011 09:53 AM CDT
Woosh
Re: RT observations by NMM 07/18/2011 10:13 AM CDT
While I do agree that the non-mm rt is way too large for what it should be, I also disagree on being able to tell if the moons are there even if you can't see them.

The current system for observe moons and non-mm is fine with me. Maybe an exception for rakash and katamba, maybe only able to sense its phases. But a non-mm shouldn't be able to tell if a new moon is in the sky or if sufficient cloud coverage is there. If you see it from the MM perspective the moon mage can't see the moon under these conditions, he senses them. Don't see how a non-MM can tell a moon is there without the extra moon-sensitive antennae moon mages have.
As good almost kill a man as kill a good book; who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were in the eye.
-John Milton
Re: RT observations by NMM 07/18/2011 11:27 AM CDT
Perhaps there needs to be another command, like glance sky, that shows the weather and the visibility of any obvious celestial bodies. (Therefore, no new moons, no constellations, etc.) Just a quick look up to see what's there, rather than a detailed study of the sky.
Re: RT observations by NMM 07/18/2011 11:29 AM CDT
Unless there is a bug I'm aware of the current system makes perfect logical sense. Observing the entire sky covers a lot of things you're looking at, and while one could argue that the RT is excessive (And I'll hesitantly say it is, though I doubt to the degree some of you are thinking) or that it could scale with skill better... fundamentally I don't see an issue here.

As stated above, if I or another GM rip into the system it's likely something like this could get some polish, but otherwise it is a poor use of time vs reward.

-Raesh

Re: RT observations by NMM 07/18/2011 11:32 AM CDT
>>Perhaps there needs to be another command, like glance sky, that shows the weather and the visibility of any obvious celestial bodies. (Therefore, no new moons, no constellations, etc.) Just a quick look up to see what's there, rather than a detailed study of the sky.

Your wish is my command.

>obs moons
You scan the heavens for the three moons:
The black moon Katamba has waned to a narrow crescent of light.
It is fairly close and is shining brightly.

Xibar is nowhere to be seen.

Yavash is nowhere to be seen.

Roundtime: 5 sec.

>obs weather
You glance up at the sky.
The sky is clear.

-Raesh

Re: RT observations by NMM 07/18/2011 01:03 PM CDT
Raesh to the rescue!

Raesh codes so fast it's almost as if those commands existed prior to this discussion. Simply Fantastic work.

~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: RT observations by NMM 07/18/2011 01:30 PM CDT
Now if only I could not be so distracted by this goblin to be able to glance up at the sky for a few seconds so as to do that...

> obs moons
You are a bit too distracted to be observing something.
> obs weather
You are a bit too distracted to be observing something.

-Evran

[16:15] Chatter[Xxxxxx] just died while mining in prime - good times
[16:17] Chatter[Xxxxxx] Did a beisswurm getcha?
[16:17] Chatter[Xxxxxx] I hear they're pretty mean
Re: RT observations by NMM 07/18/2011 02:04 PM CDT
^^ What Evran said x 1000. I hate having to retreat just to observe the weather just so I can tell if it's raining or not so my instruments don't get hurt :(

~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://soundsoftime.bravehost.com
Re: RT observations by NMM 07/18/2011 04:51 PM CDT
Kill it harder?

-Raesh

Re: RT observations by NMM 07/18/2011 06:54 PM CDT
>obs moon
>
Katamba is nowhere to be seen.

>obs sky
>
The following heavenly bodies are visible:
The mid-afternoon sun is unobscured by clouds.
Katamba is unobscured by clouds.
Xibar is unobscured by clouds.
Yavash is below the horizon.
R>
R>obs xibar
You scan the skies for a few moments.
Xibar is unobscured by clouds.
You see nothing else of note.
R>
>obs yavash
Your search for the red moon Yavash turns up fruitless.

If they're nowhere to be seen per OBSERVE MOONS, why are two of them "unobscured by clouds" under OBSERVE SKY? And seemingly inconsistent in their visibility when observing them individually? It seems like they should all be "below the horizon" under OBSERVE SKY and give the fruitless message when observed individually.
Re: RT observations by NMM 07/18/2011 07:02 PM CDT
Yes that observation thing and kill it harder is like how while someone is climb practicing they can't see, feel, or hear the weather around them.

Some things just boggle the mind.

Re: RT observations by NMM 07/18/2011 07:16 PM CDT
<<If they're nowhere to be seen per OBSERVE MOONS, why are two of them "unobscured by clouds" under OBSERVE SKY? And seemingly inconsistent in their visibility when observing them individually? It seems like they should all be "below the horizon" under OBSERVE SKY and give the fruitless message when observed individually.

Its a new moon.

-Evran

[16:15] Chatter[Xxxxxx] just died while mining in prime - good times
[16:17] Chatter[Xxxxxx] Did a beisswurm getcha?
[16:17] Chatter[Xxxxxx] I hear they're pretty mean
Re: RT observations by NMM 07/24/2011 05:29 AM CDT
This doesn't always hold true. This observation was made during the daytime:

>observe moons

Roundtime: 11 sec.
>observe sky
The sky has a few scattered clouds in it.

The late morning sun is unobscured by clouds.
Katamba is below the horizon.
Xibar is below the horizon.
Yavash is unobscured by clouds.

As you can see, Yavash was up. but when one "observes moons", i couldn't see it. <this was with a trader, not a MM.>

Re: RT observations by NMM 07/24/2011 11:34 AM CDT
Assuming you did that like... today. Yavash is a new moon currently.

>obs yav

>per yav
Yavash is a new moon, high in the eastern sky.
It is contributing a moderately weak amount of mana.
Roundtime: 3 sec.

>obs moon

The blue moon Xibar has waned to a narrow crescent of light.

>obs sky
The sky has a few scattered clouds in it.

A cloud has obscured parts of the late morning sun.
Katamba is below the horizon.
Nearly half of Xibar has been obscured by clouds above.

Now we play it again as a MM:

>obs moons

The blue moon Xibar has waned to a narrow crescent of light.

You feel the presence of a moderately near Yavash.

What this all comes down to is... observe sky should likely be tweaked.

-Raesh

Re: RT observations by NMM 07/24/2011 12:26 PM CDT
Is the contention that non-MM's can't detect the moons or stars with the same efficacy as MMs, or just that the RP while doing so is ridiculously longer?

Because I have no problem with a Cleric not being able to detect a new moon covered behind cloud cover.
Re: RT observations by NMM 07/24/2011 10:11 PM CDT
>>Because I have no problem with a Cleric not being able to detect a new moon covered behind cloud cover.

I have no real problem with this either.

But I want to point out that Scholarship is the contested skill. With enough Scholarship, I think a character should simply know when the moons are supposed to be up. Granted, I think that check should be pretty large, because who even remembers things like when our own moon is supposed to be up? But it should still be possible.

But maybe OBSERVE should just not contest Scholarship, and instead we could have something like RECALL YAVASH.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: RT observations by NMM 07/26/2011 01:42 PM CDT
The main complaint comes from Rakash, and is specifically for katamba. Since a katamba turning full while in combat can get you killed.

Aside from people messing with teleportation boxes, there really isn't a need for non-mm to be able to see new moons or ones covered by clouds. Nor should they without some external device.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to Rakash getting a racial ability to sense the phase of Katamba. But this is not the forum to argue about such things.

As good almost kill a man as kill a good book; who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were in the eye.
-John Milton