Best Way to Work TM for MM? 07/03/2012 04:32 PM CDT
Whats the best way to lock Targeted Magic for Moon Mages?

Is it TKT? DO? TKS? Something else I am missing?

Thanks
Re: Best Way to Work TM for MM? 07/03/2012 06:15 PM CDT
Tks + crs spam in swarm IMO.

Should be able to keep 3-4 spikes going, tks up the whole time and if you feel frisky toss in a side of sls.
Re: Best Way to Work TM for MM? 07/04/2012 09:22 AM CDT
Best way to train TM in combat is to rapid fire snap casts. Burn will be a good option against shield bearing opponents, but DO will do just fine otherwise. TKT hits really hard I felt, and can be tricky to keep ammo on the ground for, especially if your critter drops loot.
Prep, target, harness a small amount of mana, cast, repeat.

But truthfully, the best way to earn TM is in classes.
Re: Best Way to Work TM for MM? 07/11/2012 01:00 AM CDT
>>But truthfully, the best way to earn TM is in classes.

lolno. this thinking is what caused you to be mocked in some other thread I was just catching up on.

TM is pretty much always the fastest magic to mind lock, as long as you're training it efficiently. (and not using PD. PD goes nuts on PM/Harn)

>>Prep, target, harness a small amount of mana, cast, repeat.

Again no. If you're wanting to lock as fast as possible, just prep, target, cast. As high of mana as you can keep up ad infinitum. No need for the harness unless you for some reason need that extra target time.

YANSHADEY is correct. CRS (due to striking twice) is probably our best bet. I never picked up TKS, but I imagine it would just be icing on the TM cake.
Re: Best Way to Work TM for MM? 07/11/2012 02:19 PM CDT
Yes, if you feel the need to rehash the argument that a magic primary, armor/weapon tertiary guild is going to have a simple time being able to train TM in combat, by all means, bring something new to the discussion.

>Again no. If you're wanting to lock as fast as possible, just prep, target, cast. As high of mana as you can keep up ad infinitum. No need for the harness unless you for some reason need that extra target time.
I believe it's already been discussed why this is best. If you can hit stuff with zero pause snaps, then yay, you're TM underhunting, but the three seconds accrued from harnessing is plenty of time for a decent aim, it'll facilitate your mana regen, and is rapid enough to train TM in most circumstances.

Also, CRS is going to lock PM/Harn just as quickly as PD, and doesn't benefit from the insta-prep of targeting. But sure, six of one, half a dozen of another.
Re: Best Way to Work TM for MM? 07/11/2012 06:31 PM CDT
>> Yes, if you feel the need to rehash the argument that a magic primary, armor/weapon tertiary guild is going to have a simple time being able to train TM in combat, by all means, bring something new to the discussion.

Stop sitting in front of the guild listening to Target so much, then. Maybe if you tried that, there wouldn't be such a difference between your combats and magics.

I'll admit, I'm guilty of it myself w/ my MM(highest combat - 201 | TM - 283).

But I don't whine about it, either. At low ranks, it should be easy to fix.

Terts aren't even a major problem until 500+ ranks.

IM: Dannyboy00001111

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Best Way to Work TM for MM? 07/11/2012 08:55 PM CDT
I don't whine about it at all; I was less interested in combat than I was in circling, and found I could move magics faster through classes than by not being able to train TM in combat and catching up tert skills to my prime skills. I don't think that's remotely unreasonable or dissimilar from any other guild in game; the number of barbs or rangers who have mech (or in a rangers case, TM) on par with their combats is probably a lot lower than those who don't.

The fact of the matter is primary skillsets will outpace tertiary skill sets; telling someone they're doing it wrong because they haven't kept a tert skillset on par with a primary skillset just makes me want to laugh at you. Plenty of people bust their chops training something up, and I think that's impressive. Plenty of people don't, and that's just as cool.
Re: Best Way to Work TM for MM? 07/11/2012 11:35 PM CDT
>>Stop sitting in front of the guild listening to Target so much, then. Maybe if you tried that, there wouldn't be such a difference between your combats and magics.

this.

>>I'll admit, I'm guilty of it myself w/ my MM(highest combat - 201 | TM - 283).

this is to be expected. there's nothing wrong at all with a spread like this.

>>I don't think that's remotely unreasonable or dissimilar from any other guild in game; the number of barbs or rangers who have mech (or in a rangers case, TM) on par with their combats is probably a lot lower than those who don't.

The number of people who train well in general is also a lot lower than those who don't.

You're acting like critters have training ranges that only span 10 ranks or something. It's very easy to train everything in the same hunting ground.

No one is saying OMG DON'T LET YOUR TM PASS PARRY. That's just silly. I'm saying keep up your combats so that you can move everything along in an organic manner. Which is surprisingly simple if you just go do stuff instead of getting it taught.

Shield Usage: 324 87% mind lock (34/34) Leather Armor: 245 81% mind lock (34/34)
Heavy Chain: 296 08% nearly locked (33/34) Cloth Armor: 157 32% mind lock (34/34)
Multi Opponent: 342 35% very rapt (31/34) Light Thrown: 299 06% intrigued (16/34)
Brawling: 240 45% cogitating (24/34) Offhand Weapon: 266 00% intrigued (16/34)
Lunar Magic: 448 73% perusing (2/34) Harness Ability: 463 55% pondering (7/34)
Power Perceive: 465 77% dabbling (1/34) Targeted Magic: 402 16% intrigued (16/34)
Evasion: 380 26% mind lock (34/34) Perception: 368 43% very rapt (31/34)

>>I don't whine about it at all; I was less interested in combat than I was in circling, and found I could move magics faster through classes than by not being able to train TM in combat and catching up tert skills to my prime skills.

There's nothing wrong with this if that's how you play the game. You're obviously one of the players that gets more enjoyment out of hanging out being social and doing things like enchanting - and that's fine. But since you're basically admitting to not caring enough about combat and TM to excel at it, doesn't that mean you should abstain from erroneously answering 'how to train TM' questions?

This is a common problem among Armor/Survival/Weapon/Defense/Combat/Whatever tertiary guilds. I can't even tell you how many times I've had to basically reteach Clerics/WMs/MMs/Bards how to train because they've let their primary weapon/tm/random circling offense far outpace their defenses. Anywhere they can hunt to circle they die. They get frustrated and go back to sitting in classes for what they need, exacerbating the problem. It's time to stop perpetuating the myth that nothing can be done to solve this.
Re: Best Way to Work TM for MM? 07/12/2012 08:25 AM CDT
>You're acting like critters have training ranges that only span 10 ranks or something. It's very easy to train everything in the same hunting ground.
Not at all; I'm remembering that realistically, due to the combat/magic spread, it's very likely you will rapidly get to the point where training TM on a critter means 'get it before it gets to melee'. Honestly, I'm not even sure why this is an issue for you; Warrior mages and Clerics often suffer from having too wide a spread in their TM and combats. The spread is even trickier for Moonies. A 10 rank spread is CLEARLY not what you have; with 402 in TM, and approximately a 300 combat average, I sincerely doubt you'll be training both combats and TM on, say, baby/fledgling gryphons.

>No one is saying OMG DON'T LET YOUR TM PASS PARRY. That's just silly. I'm saying keep up your combats so that you can move everything along in an organic manner. Which is surprisingly simple if you just go do stuff instead of getting it taught.
Yes. That is what you are saying. And some people do not do that, and then, the most expedited way to train TM is... classes. And judging from your PM, you aren't even at the point where the spread starts getting particularly nasty.

>But since you're basically admitting to not caring enough about combat and TM to excel at it, doesn't that mean you should abstain from erroneously answering 'how to train TM' questions?
While spamming weak targeted spells in combat is clearly and obviously the best way to train the skill, in the same way that say, swimming the Feldasu is the best way to train swimming between 100 and 300 ranks of swimming, for those moonies that have allowed their TM to outpace their combats, the best way to train TM is to sit in classes.

>This is a common problem among Armor/Survival/Weapon/Defense/Combat/Whatever tertiary guilds. I can't even tell you how many times I've had to basically reteach Clerics/WMs/MMs/Bards how to train because they've let their primary weapon/tm/random circling offense far outpace their defenses. Anywhere they can hunt to circle they die. They get frustrated and go back to sitting in classes for what they need, exacerbating the problem. It's time to stop perpetuating the myth that nothing can be done to solve this.

You're not reteaching them anything; you're advising them to not exacerbate the issue. My Cleric has the same issue; weapons mildly outpace defenses and to circle, he needs to spend time working defenses to get to the point where he can hop into combat with something that'll decently train decently. Le sigh. No one is suggesting that it's impossible to solve this issue; I even outright stated, with my Moonie, I was more interested in circle chasing than catching up my combats. The problem however is more extreme than your Clerics/WMs/MMs/Bard list; this isn't a secondary skill that's outpaced a tertiary skill, it's a PRIMARY skill that outpaces a tertiary skill. Moonies who wish to keep moving TM in combat must very conscientiously spend a lot of time in combat. It's totally doable; for example, my Necromancer has about a 10% spread between Evasion (primary survival) and shield/parry/armor. Plenty of combat Moonies are out there, who choose to train that way.

Truthfully, most useful point you made was that listening to classes exacerbates the issue; you are obviously correct about this, and I should have added this addendum to my original point of 'just listen to classes'. Training TM in classes will keep it moving, but it will also further the distance between what you can hunt with magic and what you can survive hunting. Pacing yourself is key.
Re: Best Way to Work TM for MM? 07/12/2012 08:29 AM CDT
EBWOP: And yes, being survival secondary sure helps, moreso if you train your stealths.
Re: Best Way to Work TM for MM? 07/12/2012 12:12 PM CDT
The answer to this was posted much earlier, but just posting my agreement: TKS (with a capped shortbow or longbow). Do not underestimate the effect of using these bows as ammo; I still see a lot of monster MMs using bolts/arrows etc. Don't, unless your creature gen is too slow to handle the bows.

CrS or PD while that kills helps some, but it's rare to have a hunting ground that swarms that well. I use the TKS time to train a bit of arcana with SOD and a camb armband.
Re: Best Way to Work TM for MM? 07/12/2012 06:23 PM CDT
<<TKS (with a capped shortbow or longbow). Do not underestimate the effect of using these bows as ammo

I still find this amazing. Just saying.

Madigan
Re: Best Way to Work TM for MM? 07/16/2012 02:12 AM CDT
>> Moonies who wish to keep moving TM in combat must very conscientiously spend a lot of time in combat.

You're comparing TM to other offensive skills like they can be compared.

TM caps are higher than weapon caps - you can milk critters for longer to keep that TM rolling - if you need to spend a bit more time in a hunting ground to do it, well that's just how it goes.

In fact, why is learning even an issue? Spend 5 minutes in combat, lock your skills, go do something else. It's just that easy.

>> A 10 rank spread is CLEARLY not what you have; with 402 in TM, and approximately a 300 combat average, I sincerely doubt you'll be training both combats and TM on, say, baby/fledgling gryphons.

... Gryphons teach TM past 400 and are easily huntable at 300 combats. Point?

>> Yes. That is what you are saying. And some people do not do that, and then, the most expedited way to train TM is... classes.

His point is to stop sitting in TM classes so much. You keep making this moot point about how you CHOOSE to listen to just Target classes - listen to some Evasion if you've got such a huge problem with a skill you're learning all the time outpacing skills you barely train. It's a "combat" skill; not a "sit on your butt while braiding grass" skill.

Your problem is the same as say, someone who sits in a longbow class all the time - training it in combat would certainly suck if they were taught it to the point that melee = instant death. It's the exact same situation here, you just refuse to accept it because you want to make excuses. My suggestion? Crank that Reflex, put up Seer's/IOE/CoL if your character is that horribly lopsided. My barb has 800 tert Appraisal; I barely train it, and I DON'T play TF. It's not near as difficult as you're claiming it is.

"Fool proof system do not take into account the ingenuity of fools, nor the power of numbers."
Re: Best Way to Work TM for MM? 07/16/2012 07:13 AM CDT
>In fact, why is learning even an issue? Spend 5 minutes in combat, lock your skills, go do something else. It's just that easy.
I'm not sure what you mean here? Surely you aren't suggesting you can lock TM in 5m? Once you lock your combats (which is easily done on the order of 5-15m depending on how many weapons you train), you can obviously spend some time training TM, assuming it hasn't outpaced your combats. Or you can, you know, go train some survivals (or make sure all your survivals are combat related), some lores (uh oh) or get to work on a magic routine (which can still be done in combat).

Like I said, I don't dispute the fact that some moonies have trained such that their weapon/parry/armor/shield (all tert skills) are in line with their TM (a primary skill), because I know many that do. What I am disputing is the notion that this is something everyone does, and if you're not interested in sitting in combat all the time, and/or tailoring your character to being in combat all the time, and your issue with training TM is that it has outpaced your combats (which is strikingly easier to accomplish than keeping your combats in line with your TM), that classes are the safest way to continue learning TM. And yes;
>His point is to stop sitting in TM classes so much. You keep making this moot point about how you CHOOSE to listen to just Target classes - listen to some Evasion if you've got such a huge problem with a skill you're learning all the time outpacing skills you barely train. It's a "combat" skill; not a "sit on your butt while braiding grass" skill.
I know. However, this argument is exactly in line with chiding an Empath for not being able to train Empathy via manipulating critters. Because Empathy outpacing an Empaths combat potential is TOTALLY indicative of an Empath that has trained 'wrong'. Yes, I get it, if you/I want to alleviate the TM/combat gap, stop sitting in classes. Or, understand that I answered the question based on the best way to maximize TM ranks/time for characters who have a large TM/combat gap. A character skill layout I have repeatedly indicated I know to not be the only layout possible, or even probable. Because again;

>My suggestion? Crank that Reflex, put up Seer's/IOE/CoL if your character is that horribly lopsided.
My moonies gap isn't even that horrible; again, mid-300's or something TM, 200ish combats. I'm just not interested in having him work out ~150 ranks of combats at this point in his career. Maybe later.

>... Gryphons teach TM past 400 and are easily huntable at 300 combats. Point?
Baby/fledglings will train TM past 400? Hmm. I guess I am doing something wrong; it's REALLY slowing down for me with one character, and he only has 275 TM.
Re: Best Way to Work TM for MM? 07/16/2012 07:15 AM CDT
Also, how many Rangers/Paladins keep TM on par with their combats? I very rarely see Paladins that do, and have never seen a Ranger that does. Anyone chime in on that?
Re: Best Way to Work TM for MM? 07/16/2012 10:11 AM CDT
>>Also, how many Rangers/Paladins keep TM on par with their combats? I very rarely see Paladins that do, and have never seen a Ranger that does. Anyone chime in on that?

This is a different case entirely. Most new Paladins/Rangers I know do. Older Paladins/Rangers (you know, the ones that had HUNDREDS of ranks before their guild got TM?) generally don't. Though there are still exceptions to this.

>>your issue with training TM is that it has outpaced your combats (which is strikingly easier to accomplish than keeping your combats in line with your TM)

You keep bringing up this ridiculous point, so let me spell this out in simple speak. In all caps. Because you don't seem to get it. NO ONE IS ADVOCATING THIS.

The only way to keep TM = combats is by intentionally slowing down TM training, which I don't think is a good idea. Gorteous and I both mentioned critter teaching ranges, which is a concept that seems to be escaping you.

>> A 10 rank spread is CLEARLY not what you have; with 402 in TM, and approximately a 300 combat average, I sincerely doubt you'll be training both combats and TM on, say, baby/fledgling gryphons.

You're right. I train both combats and TM on fledgling/young gryphons. The snapshot of my skills was taken there. I can dance with 4 all day long, AND learn TM from them... even hit them with 180 ME. Can I go use TM on mature/elder and learn faster? Sure, sometimes I'll even do that for a quick lock. I can sorta dance with matures, they just don't spawn enough. Elders are too hard with their thunderclap.

Am I saying nerf your TM to make sure your parry stays even with it? No.

Am I saying that with a little work, it's very easy to be able to train TM and all your combats in the same place? Yes. The GMs realize different guilds have different skillsets, and that's why creatures have ranges.

>>Or, understand that I answered the question based on the best way to maximize TM ranks/time for characters who have a large TM/combat gap.

Still incorrect. The best way to maximize TM ranks/time at this point is hunting something you can't possibly hope to defend against, MBing it, and going nuts on min prepped TM spells. Not that I'm really advocating this strategy either.

>>My moonies gap isn't even that horrible; again, mid-300's or something TM, 200ish combats. I'm just not interested in having him work out ~150 ranks of combats at this point in his career. Maybe later.

You're right, the gap isn't that bad. If you wanted, you could probably hunt and learn TM in the same place. Worst case scenario, catch up 50~75 ranks of combats and be fine.

>>Baby/fledglings will train TM past 400? Hmm. I guess I am doing something wrong; it's REALLY slowing down for me with one character, and he only has 275 TM.

Babies stop around mid 300s I think..I moved on at 360ish? Fledge/Young, as previously mentioned, will train over 400.

>>And judging from your PM, you aren't even at the point where the spread starts getting particularly nasty.

When you train the way I do, the spread never happens. My TM > Arcana and will most likely stay that way. Unless I stop hunting altogether and enchant for a year or so.
Re: Best Way to Work TM for MM? 07/16/2012 11:08 AM CDT
>This is a different case entirely. Most new Paladins/Rangers I know do. Older Paladins/Rangers (you know, the ones that had HUNDREDS of ranks before their guild got TM?) generally don't. Though there are still exceptions to this.
Again, I've seen incredibly few that do this. Anecdotal data and whatnot. What about Empaths? Manipulate has been out for... uh, some time (?) now, and I know there are many diligent and impressive combat Empaths, I also sincerely doubt there are many that use manipulate as their main method for training Empathy. I could be wrong of course, and I'm sure there are Empaths out there who can keep Empathy moving through combat alone; I just don't know any. Again, anecdotal data.
>You keep bringing up this ridiculous point, so let me spell this out in simple speak. In all caps. Because you don't seem to get it. NO ONE IS ADVOCATING THIS.
Now you're confused; People are absolutely advocating training in combat. I've merely pointing out a reliable way to train TM out of combat, no fuss no mess. My original comment that got this obnoxious discussion rolling again was that it was easiest to train TM in classes. I maintain this is true (in the conditions I have specified, that is, when TM outpaces your combats, which we all agree is easy to have happen), because, by your own point, the only thing to train TM on will readily become critters that can absolutely destroy you; the risk of death is simply too high for moonies whose TM>combats, which is a severe impediment to learning.

>Am I saying nerf your TM to make sure your parry stays even with it? No.
That's actually exactly what's basically being suggested; sitting in combat at all times to keep combats moving such that you can train TM on the critters you hunt. Your TM can and will move at a faster rate than your combats, so, this means training TM less than someone who sits in class all day (and then suffers a wider TM/combat gap).
>When you train the way I do, the spread never happens. My TM > Arcana and will most likely stay that way. Unless I stop hunting altogether and enchant for a year or so.
And the training decision is entirely ours to make. My magics and other survivals were focused on, while combats ignored, because I was interested in circling faster. I was able to circle faster than you are/will be. It has nothing to do with enchanting, it has everything to do with simply ignoring combats in favor of magics, mech, and survivals. If you want to do the opposite, then cool; it's easy enough to keep magics moving in combat while you parry/block/evade, but you won't be able to then also train mech, and eventually you'll have to slow your TM rate (compared to, say, always being in class).

Anyway, this conversation always just boils down to 'train however you want'.
Re: Best Way to Work TM for MM? 07/16/2012 11:26 AM CDT
Ahhh, so there's the rub. The question was what's the best way to train TM.

>>My original comment that got this obnoxious discussion rolling again was that it was easiest to train TM in classes.

Apparently we're playing Jeopardy here. And you just won the daily double with 'What is the laziest way to train TM'.

As to the rest of your points, you're either an incredibly poor trainer or being intentionally obtuse. Because they're all as incorrect as you have been for pretty much the entirety of this discussion.
Re: Best Way to Work TM for MM? 07/16/2012 01:43 PM CDT
>> Yes, I get it, if you/I want to alleviate the TM/combat gap, stop sitting in classes. Or, understand that I answered the question based on the best way to maximize TM ranks/time for characters who have a large TM/combat gap.

Yes, because if it doesn't work the first time, keep doing it! And if it ends up making your character much more difficult to train: hell, just keep goin! I'm sure it'll get better!

>> I know. However, this argument is exactly in line with chiding an Empath for not being able to train Empathy via manipulating critters. Because Empathy outpacing an Empaths combat potential is TOTALLY indicative of an Empath that has trained 'wrong'.

What isn't clicking here? TARGET is a combat skill. EMPATHY is not - but it can be trained in either because that's how it's coded and it makes sense given the nature of how the ability functions. These are 2 completely different classifications.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Target for blowing people up - and people have been railing AGAINST the idea that you're proposing here FOR AGES - ala prep es 8;harn 11;cast; making characters into ARCANE DOOMBRINGERS.

All I hear from you is 'YAY MY CHARACTER IS A CELEBRATED GLASS CANNON' leading to 'QQ WHY IS MY CHARACTER A GLASS CANNON?' If you don't like training combats, you should give up on the idea of training Target - because they are two sides of the same coin. It's not like you're required to train it anyways - MM's != Target req.

Re: Best Way to Work TM for MM? 07/16/2012 02:04 PM CDT
>All I hear from you is 'YAY MY CHARACTER IS A CELEBRATED GLASS CANNON' leading to 'QQ WHY IS MY CHARACTER A GLASS CANNON?'
I'm fairly certain you're the only one celebrating my character right now.

>You can't have your cake and eat it too. Target for blowing people up - and people have been railing AGAINST the idea that you're proposing here FOR AGES - ala prep es 8;harn 11;cast; making characters into ARCANE DOOMBRINGERS.
People have been railing against the idea of TM being offered in classes? Or that training PM somehow makes you a cap locked power house? Because I'm fairly certain that a number of spells in game are specifically non-TM based for a reason.

>What isn't clicking here? TARGET is a combat skill. EMPATHY is not - but it can be trained in either because that's how it's coded and it makes sense given the nature of how the ability functions. These are 2 completely different classifications.
This is relevant why? Are you suggesting that one can/should only learn a skill via the activity that trains it? That's a cool position.
What about Rangers/Paladins keeping TM on par with their combats? What about Warmies/Clerics keeping skinning/evasion on par with their TM? Are you going to suggest that Rangers/Paladins should never listen to combat classes to prevent the TM gap from falling to far (in the opposite direction this time), or that Warmies/Clerics should never let TM get ahead of skinning/evasion so they can always train those skills in the critters that they train TM on?
Re: Best Way to Work TM for MM? 07/16/2012 05:10 PM CDT
>> I'm fairly certain you're the only one celebrating my character right now.

???

>> People have been railing against the idea of TM being offered in classes? Or that training PM somehow makes you a cap locked power house? Because I'm fairly certain that a number of spells in game are specifically non-TM based for a reason.

You used Empathy as a specific example of how you think Target should work - did I get that right? Being able to learn it outside of combat without having it taught, and in combat as well.

... Are you trolling? Why did you bring it up in response to a training-related question if you didn't mean it that way? And why are you so fixated on the idea that they absolutely have to be equal-rank? It's not like you have a TM requirement as a MM anyways - and it's the same across the boards for every other guild. When I was at 410 Evasion, I had 450 Parry. Now @ 1114 Parry, my Evasion is 1019. Equal time put into them with less-than-equal payoff. Oh, and grass is green(unless it's painted).

Here it is: No one is going to have to purposely neglect magic for to train combats, unless they've already put a godawful amount of time into making them impossible to train together. By listening to TM classes all day long. For those people, tough luck. You get what you put into it. You chose to train lopsided, you reap what you sow. Just like the people who never bothered to train Shield, and the Empaths who never trained TM.

>> This is relevant why? Are you suggesting that one can/should only learn a skill via the activity that trains it? That's a cool position.
>> What about Rangers/Paladins keeping TM on par with their combats? What about Warmies/Clerics keeping skinning/evasion on par with their TM?

That's not how it works. There's a natural distance the skillsets want to maintain from each other assuming you put the same amount of time into each. This is where you're totally wrong. You don't spend the same amount of time on each of them. You spend 2x+ the amount of time on magic as combats, and then whine that you can't train them together. Boo-hoo you.

>> Are you going to suggest that Rangers/Paladins should never listen to combat classes to prevent the TM gap from falling to far (in the opposite direction this time), or that Warmies/Clerics should never let TM get ahead of skinning/evasion so they can always train those skills in the critters that they train TM on?

Managing your character's skills is part of playing your character. Water is wet.

Read my breakdown above on how your hypothetical situation is not 'systematic discrimination against MU's', but is actually a result of your terrible training practices.

I've answered this question more than once now, but I finally figured out how to answer it the way you want me to. Yes, there's actually light at the end of this dark tunnel of regret - you can just listen to defense classes until they've caught up to your magic skills! No effort required! No boring combats to sit through, you can RP to your heart's content while you braid your way to victory! Beastmoding the guild like a true champ! And best of all, you'll be fixing your character the same way you broke it!

Yay!

Re: Best Way to Work TM for MM? 07/16/2012 06:30 PM CDT
>Read my breakdown above on how your hypothetical situation is not 'systematic discrimination against MU's', but is actually a result of your terrible training practices.
>That's not how it works. There's a natural distance the skillsets want to maintain from each other assuming you put the same amount of time into each. This is where you're totally wrong. You don't spend the same amount of time on each of them. You spend 2x+ the amount of time on magic as combats, and then whine that you can't train them together. Boo-hoo you.

What on earth are you talking about?

I think you need to take a very deep breath and back up a bit, look over the statements I've made and how they actually have nothing at all to do with the responses you're giving.

To clarify some of the easier miscommunications;
>You used Empathy as a specific example of how you think Target should work - did I get that right? Being able to learn it outside of combat without having it taught, and in combat as well.

No. I used Empathy because it is a primary skill for Empaths, who are also armor/weapon tert. The idea of an Empath keeping their combats (and again, ignoring Evasion here, as it is a secondary for Empaths) in line with their Empathy is the point I was getting at; the idea of training a tertiary skill set to be in line with a primary skill set. The analogy has nothing to do with how the skill is trained (Spamming TM spells moves TM pretty good on like ranked critters, I have no idea how manipulating a room full of like ranked critters [ranked to empathy, that is] moves Empathy), and everything to do with the notion that Empathy has a combat application (like TM!) for a guild that has weapon/armor tert (like Moonies!), and thus, if an Empath wants to train Empathy in combat by using manipulate, they can, but only if they've kept their combats in line Empathy. Do you understand the point I'm making?

>When I was at 410 Evasion, I had 450 Parry. Now @ 1114 Parry, my Evasion is 1019. Equal time put into them with less-than-equal payoff. Oh, and grass is green(unless it's painted).
I presume you're still talking about your Barbarian? Because the closeness of a primary and a secondary skill somehow proves that it is simple to keep a primary and a tertiary skill in line?

To totally clarify here, I never stated that the fastest way to learn a skill was by sitting in classes. I also never said my character was awesome for the training choices he made, that TM=all combats to hope to train TM in combat, or that because of the choices I've made in training my character, that something must be changed to accommodate my play style. I appreciate some of the extrapolation though, it's nice knowing other people think my Moonie is awesome.
Re: Best Way to Work TM for MM? 07/16/2012 06:33 PM CDT
EDIT: I actually have no idea what the training range is for Empathy in combat. For all I know, an Empath with 400 Empathy manipulating four arbelogs might move Empathy (I doubt it, but who knows). That's not really the point. The point is it's easy and not at all unreasonable for an Empath to have strikingly higher Empathy than combats, just like it's easy and not at all unreasonable for a Ranger/Paladin to have strikingly higher combats than TM. This doesn't equal a failure to train your character, it equals a training choice made.
Re: Best Way to Work TM for MM? 07/16/2012 09:36 PM CDT

The snarking belongs elsewhere, kindly keep it on topic or end it.

The conflicts folder is down yonder in Social Side if you want to bicker.

Annwyl
Message Board Supervisor

If you've questions or comments, take it to e-mail by writing me at DR-Annwyl@play.net.
Re: Best Way to Work TM for MM? 07/17/2012 08:25 AM CDT
Mostly random side note at this point, but all the (old) paladins I personally know have worked incredibly hard to catch TM up to combats to make training it efficient. I don't personally know any newer ones who neglected it out of the gate.

That said, when I started seriously training TM I freely admit I was dealing with a 200ish (much less than some) or 300ish rank gap between TM and combats. I absolutely listened to classes to get it to a point where it was trainable in combat without going too far back down the critter ladder. But that's a situation Paladins and Rangers couldn't really avoid if they wanted to catch it up.

I think the issue throughout most of this thread is that 'listen to classes' isn't really a viable answer to question asked. Is it a way to train TM? Sure it is. Is it the best way? It's highly inefficient at best, so I don't think it really fits in to that category.

The higher level critters teach in MUCH larger ranges than the lower, making it even more feasible to train TM with combat even if there's a gap, as long as it's not an outrageous gap.

~Katt

A gestalt draugen swipes a hooked leonine claw at Silus. The claw lands a solid hit that cuts deeply into his groin!