What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 09/10/2011 11:36 AM CDT
Just picked up the moonblade spell today and have been enjoying playing around with it.

Trying to think of what spells would be the most useful to place in it. So this bugs the question, what spells do you keep in your moonblade and why?

Thanks for any insights!
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 09/10/2011 11:40 AM CDT
I rarely use it, but I'll put Seers, CoL, and Teleport.
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 09/10/2011 12:55 PM CDT
Havent stored spells in moonblades for a long time, but i used to store teleport as a get out of jail card.
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 09/10/2011 01:26 PM CDT
I tend to load it up with Shear (maybe a PSY) during spars. I don't bother the rest of the time.

-Artificer Nilassa
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 09/10/2011 01:32 PM CDT

Usually a capped seer, but sometimes a shadows or cage of light. Seer Sense is the only the spell that boost evasion that can't be refreshed before its duration ends. That I can think of anyways. But short of SOP its also the largest evasion boosting spell.

Teleport is good as a sort-of-contingency spell.

Moon Blade has two purposes for me, 1) A weapon I can use that doesn't kill things quickly so its good for ambush training and 2)slivers to use for TKT/TKS ammo.
As good almost kill a man as kill a good book; who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were in the eye.
-John Milton
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 09/10/2011 01:47 PM CDT
>Moon Blade has two purposes for me, 1) A weapon I can use that doesn't kill things quickly so its good for ambush training and 2)slivers to use for TKT/TKS ammo.

It's also nice if you're worried about dying and dropping a weapon.

-Artificer Nilassa
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 09/30/2011 07:16 AM CDT

how do you store spells in a moonblade, ive tried casting at them, focusing on them with one prepped and charging with a spell prepped.
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 09/30/2011 07:26 AM CDT

http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Moonblade

The commands are listed under Syntax.
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 09/30/2011 08:41 AM CDT
As for the 'Why', it's a spell battery. It allows you to cast spells at it, and use them later. This is useful if you're spelling up for combat, and feel like being prepared. You can also put Teleport into a Moonblade as a poor mans Contingency.
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 09/30/2011 05:27 PM CDT

Prolly a good idea even if you have contingency, as a light stun will put you in a very bad position but won't necessarily trigger contingency. Though oddly enough the deadlier creatures get the less useful contingency is. Irony at its best.
As good almost kill a man as kill a good book; who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were in the eye.
-John Milton
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 09/30/2011 09:50 PM CDT
Rigby once said something about Contingency that immediately endeared me to him:

Contingency's primary function is not to save your life, it's to teleport your corpse.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 10/01/2011 12:21 AM CDT
I just use it if a date starts going downhill. Foots her with the bill too!
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 10/01/2011 06:20 AM CDT
<<Contingency's primary function is not to save your life, it's to teleport your corpse.

Or near-corpse. This is why I don't bother with Contingency much any more. It used to make sense when people actually got rezzes and the like. Now it just seems like a good way to lose a weapon.
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 10/08/2011 11:18 AM CDT
I used to love contingency until I started hunting armadillo. Since their webs trigger contingency, it kind of ruins the hunting experience.
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 11/17/2011 04:10 PM CST

>>Moon Blade has two purposes for me, 1) A weapon I can use that doesn't kill things quickly so its good for ambush training and 2)slivers to use for TKT/TKS ammo.

I've got a ton of love for the moonblade and shape moonblade spells. The spell would be really amazing if younger mages could utilize it early on in their hunting careers when it would be the most useful. Before we have added to strength and have shadow servants to carry everything we don't want to lug around. I kinda use it for TKT/TKS ammo more than anything else as well. Well that and style. I just love the moonstaff.

But I keep back training with the moonblades and the moonstaff so maybe one day I can hunt at level with them. I made a really cool script that checks experience and re shapes the blade to lock all edged and quarterstaff if anyone is interested in it. It also loots gems, coins, boxes and will skin if possible.
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 11/17/2011 04:21 PM CST
Moonblade is currently slated to wind up an Esoteric Utility spell. I might bump that down to Advanced, but only if I spin out the spell-holding stuff into yet another metaspell.

On the plus side, Moonblade and the Warrior Mage weapon creation spells will be updated to use the new weapon templates (which did not happen as automatically as I thought it would). So it'll be comparable to lower end forging or the kind of stuff at the festival. Still far less than a good forged weapon, but should look a bit better than now.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 11/17/2011 05:07 PM CST
Very cool stuff! I'm not a moon mage but I do appreciate what you're doing for this guild :)

Thanks Armifer!

Edit: Even if it means Traim is going to be even harder to beat in a spar :(

~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 11/17/2011 06:01 PM CST

>>Moonblade is currently slated to wind up an Esoteric Utility spell. I might bump that down to Advanced, but only if I spin out the spell-holding stuff into yet another metaspell.

>>On the plus side, Moonblade and the Warrior Mage weapon creation spells will be updated to use the new weapon templates (which did not happen as automatically as I thought it would). So it'll be comparable to lower end forging or the kind of stuff at the festival. Still far less than a good forged weapon, but should look a bit better than now.

First, I would also like to say thankyou for all the work you've done. Seeing a moonblade in action was one of the first things that attracted me to the guild when I was new to the game, and it has only gotten better and better over the years. I'm certain that whatever you decide is going to be good. Thanks for the consideration with bumping it down to advanced from esoteric.

-While were on the subject-

Is it possible for lunar shards to be used with the moonblade spell like they work for IOE in the future?

-And secondly-

Is it possible for a light thrown version of a moonblade to re-appear? The steelstar spell was maybe the coolest spell the guild ever had imho. It might have been too powerful with the dazzle combination, but it was just incredibly awesome and stylish. It was removed from the game before I was a high enough circle to learn it and I have always felt I missed out. Any sort of reincarnation for the spell would be amazing. Either way, with a meta spell for moonblade or with a spell all on its own, I would bet every moon mage who uses combat would go for it.
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 11/17/2011 06:21 PM CST
>>Is it possible for lunar shards to be used with the moonblade spell like they work for IOE in the future?

There's no plans for that at the moment, and I'm moving away from lunar shards working as a moon substitute in general. The moons are supposed to be a Big Deal, and if this is problematic I'd rather look at tweaking the orbits than circumventing the system (this is my answer to Invocation of the Spheres as well).

>>Is it possible for a light thrown version of a moonblade to re-appear?

Also not planned, but more likely than the shards. I find it... aesthetically unpleasent, but I'm not married to that.

-Armifer
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 11/17/2011 08:03 PM CST

>>(this is my answer to Invocation of the Spheres as well).

Invocation of the Spheres?
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 11/17/2011 09:48 PM CST
I think Invocation of Energy is becoming Invocation of the Spheres.

Also, thank you Armifer for thinking to update moonblade to new templates. I love moonclaymore, and with minor changes to duration, appraisal, and flexibility of "stashing" during the duration, I would use it a lot, lot more. Any changes on those points is a plus to me.

<<Edit: Even if it means Traim is going to be even harder to beat in a spar :(>>

This reminds me...might there be any spell and/or rune/scroll/device in magic 3.0 that allows a MM to resist frostbite? I would also accept bards being prohibited from casting it. Or bards who have named beginning with L.
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 11/17/2011 10:52 PM CST
>>This reminds me...might there be any spell and/or rune/scroll/device in magic 3.0 that allows a MM to resist frostbite?

Part of the system overhaul solves the long standing problem that led to us making AoEs immune to being shut down by barriers. In Brave New Magic Shear works just fine to protect you from Frostbite (but it will still affect anyone else in the room that didn't bring their own mittens and wards).

-Armifer
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 11/17/2011 11:13 PM CST
<weeps>

~Leilond
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Leilond
http://drzeal.forumotion.com Learn How to PvP!
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 11/18/2011 12:07 AM CST
>>There's no plans for that at the moment, and I'm moving away from lunar shards working as a moon substitute in general.

I like this. I've never been a huge fan of carrying around components for a spell. It typically just means I will never cast the spell.

>>The moons are supposed to be a Big Deal, and if this is problematic I'd rather look at tweaking the orbits than circumventing the system

Wow, fascinating. I've always thought the orbits were pretty good for the use of moonbeams to get around. But I can't say I've been that happy with them for IOE.

I imagine if this were to happen, it would take the form of something like Xibar speeding way up? Or would you consider allowing us to make use of moons sometime before/after they've actually risen/set? (I.e., stretching the "up" time and shrinking the "down" time.)

I'm guessing the chance of either of these happening is slim. I was just curious.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 11/18/2011 12:16 AM CST
>>Is it possible for a light thrown version of a moonblade to re-appear?

Oh, sorry for the double post. I just wanted to weigh in and say I would love to have another spell to deal death via light. I am a big fan, aesthetically, of Dazzle and Burn.

Also, random suggestion, but maybe consider renaming Dazzle to Blind? "Dazzle" makes me think "pretty magical light show" rather than "painfully bright searing light." Considering it is moving to vs. Fortitude I thought this might make sense.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 11/18/2011 12:44 AM CST
>>I imagine if this were to happen, it would take the form of something like Xibar speeding way up? Or would you consider allowing us to make use of moons sometime before/after they've actually risen/set? (I.e., stretching the "up" time and shrinking the "down" time.)

I don't have any serious plans yet, though the one time I discussed this with some people with better math skills than I, the thought was to slow one moon way down and speed another up.

-Armifer
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 11/18/2011 12:49 AM CST
> slow one moon way down and speed another up.

Presumably by having the one crash into the other, a la Newton's Cradle.
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 11/18/2011 12:50 AM CST
>>I don't have any serious plans yet, though the one time I discussed this with some people with better math skills than I, the thought was to slow one moon way down and speed another up.

Yeah, that is precisely what I was thinking would work best.

Also, it would help to incorporate the sun/planets more too, which I think you mentioned was on the table for IOS.

I would love a sunblade. Just saying.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 11/18/2011 01:11 AM CST
>>Also, it would help to incorporate the sun/planets more too, which I think you mentioned was on the table for IOS.

I wouldn't alter planetary orbits, but the current logic for determining if planets are "up" visually is insane and bears no relationship to... well, anything. Something passingly more realistic would open up a lot more planets to observation / IOTS reliably.

However, this is exactly the sort of thing that is not my forte, so the going will be slow on it.

-Armifer
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 11/18/2011 01:17 AM CST
>However, this is exactly the sort of thing that is not my forte, so the going will be slow on it.

... Armfer is human?

LIES!

Weapons for Sale:
http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/User:Caraamon#Wares
Hunta Talna Kortok, built by Gor'Togs, for Gor'Togs
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/caraamon/home.html
Combat Balance List:
http://tinyurl.com/DRBalance
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 11/18/2011 03:03 AM CST
>>LIES!

<Initiating Human Disguise Protocol>
<Calculating Belief Probability: 2pn^ == 89.888885%>
<Posting Prompt Initiated>
"This is not my forte."
Malkien
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 11/18/2011 03:53 AM CST
>>I wouldn't alter planetary orbits, but the current logic for determining if planets are "up" visually is insane and bears no relationship to... well, anything.

As someone who has painstakingly tracked the planets for the past 3-4 months to update elanthipedia... I am painfully aware.

>>Something passingly more realistic would open up a lot more planets to observation / IOTS reliably.

You have won my heart.

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 11/18/2011 11:12 AM CST
>>As someone who has painstakingly tracked the planets for the past 3-4 months to update elanthipedia... I am painfully aware.

I tried a year ago and it ended up making me weep. So props to you for keeping up the diligence on them! (Now lets watch Armifer change and fix everything so we have to remeasure).

DR Armorcrafting 3.0:
http://tinyurl.com/drarmor3

DR Blacksmithing Tools 3.0:
http://www.tinyurl.com/DRBSTools3

DR Crafting Calc:
http://tinyurl.com/DRCraftCalc
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 11/18/2011 04:05 PM CST
>>I tried a year ago and it ended up making me weep.

Yeah, it's tough. Thankfully I just have a script that I fire off whenever I log in, and whenever I notice a change from day to night (or vice versa). It got a bit tough there for a while during the fest though, so there's going to be a little gap there...

>>(Now lets watch Armifer change and fix everything so we have to remeasure).

I have ZERO problem with Armifer making things better. :)

-- Player of Eyuve
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 06/10/2016 01:49 AM CDT
so to answer this question 5 years late, it depends on what you're goal is. MB or dazzle if you need some debilitation. or rend if you need to dispel a lot of spells fast.
Re: What spells do you keep in your moonblade and why? 06/10/2016 07:52 PM CDT
MB and Rend are both battle spells, so they are actually silly choices since it takes such of a short amount of time to prepare. I just hate empower moonblade since it doesn't store spell power, even if it helped out 50% or something it would be nice.