Shadow Web 09/11/2010 05:29 PM CDT
Ok, when shadow web was rewritten to the new and improved version, I remember testing it out quite a bit when I was hunting Velakan slavers and it would pulse 3 or 4 times on an average cast. As a Bard reading it from a scroll temporarily memorizing it.

Now I'm in Dragon Priests, which claw out of the web, but I notice it only pulses one time of webbing and then goes inert. I don't understand what the problem is. This is at 20 mana and I have the same problem everywhere I go. Any more mana and I am backfiring for some reason.

Can someone help me figure out why this is?

PM - 817
HA - 805

Was the spell down tweaked from after when it was first re-released? Or am I missing a very obvious reason?

If this is a common question, I apologize for asking it but I can't find a reason anywhere.

- Terra
Re: Shadow Web 09/11/2010 06:46 PM CDT
When you tested it was it before they messed with the "not your mana" equation. 20 mana is very, very low. You need to squeeze in more to get more pulses.

Although since your asking from the point of a non-moon mage, I'm unaware if any changes made the conversion even harder.
As good almost kill a man as kill a good book; who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were in the eye.
-John Milton
Re: Shadow Web 09/11/2010 08:20 PM CDT
It was after any concentration or major spell adjustments.

As I said in the original post (though in less detail), either straight prepping with more mana or harnessing mana has caused me to backfire in varying degrees. It was very puzzling for me at my skill level to not be able even get near capping a spell.

- Terra
Re: Shadow Web 09/11/2010 08:39 PM CDT
There was a change to cross-mana casting. Are you really sure you were testing before that? I remember noticing my ability to cast unleashed non-lunar spells was drastically reduced, in terms of mana-packed-in. Shadow Web has been a tough spell to cap for as long as I remember, even for MMs. Given your numbers and the difficulty of that spell for lunar users plus the cross-mana change, it doesn't sound that strange.

Maybe it's something else though.
Re: Shadow Web 09/11/2010 08:45 PM CDT
With that skill though, casting above 20 mana should be doable. I'd say she would at least get 30.

Spell can be capped with ~520 pm, if not slightly more but it can be done with less and harnessed mana.

As good almost kill a man as kill a good book; who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills reason itself, kills the image of God, as it were in the eye.
-John Milton
Re: Shadow Web 09/11/2010 11:10 PM CDT
I'm 100% sure I tested it as soon as the new changes rolled in, within 24 hours.

Thank you all for trying to help solve this mystery, however I've decided to just let Shadow Web fade from my memory, it's not doing me much good right now.

- Terra