Mundane Weapons 05/09/2010 09:46 AM CDT
There was a time when I thought of TM as a novelty weapon for Moon Mages. It just didn't seem to pack the punch of my mundane weapons. Now that I have more ranks in magic, TM is definitly the most powerful weapon at my disposal. I was training 6 weapons at one point. Now I'm down to just training 2; I just train an edged and a blunt weapon. My question for you elder Moon Mages is...do you ever come to a point where you just stop using your mundane weapons? I can one shot things with my magic that I can't even hit with my mundane weapons. Should I just go with magic?

Dierik

You also see a plovik leaf, a burly snow goblin, a chipped marble mortar, a chipped marble mortar and a grimy marble pestle. Look out! The snow goblins are taking up alchemy.
Re: Mundane Weapons 05/09/2010 10:05 AM CDT
<<Should I just go with magic?
I know its rude to answer a question with a question, but concede rudeness with asking why? My moon mage is only 90th, but I train 9 mundane weapons and planning more. TDPs are what separate us from each other so I ask again. It can't be to circle faster since we don't technically need to hunt to circle Why hamstring yourself with forced inferior stats?

Player of Drevid

http://www.phiiskeep.homestead.com/Barbarian.html

Cylons... why debugging matters.
Re: Mundane Weapons 05/09/2010 10:06 AM CDT
TDPs.

- Phalanx Korsik Rippentropp, Vindicator of M'riss

Baum says to Lillietta, "Problem is that Korsik is a very big boy."
Lillietta says, "He is mentally unstable."
Re: Mundane Weapons 05/09/2010 10:09 AM CDT
I'm a casual player. I only play for about 1 or 2 hours a day. I was wondering if it would be better to specialize in magic. I hadn't considered the tdp aspect. I'll keep going with my mundane weapons then.

Dierik

You also see a plovik leaf, a burly snow goblin, a chipped marble mortar, a chipped marble mortar and a grimy marble pestle. Look out! The snow goblins are taking up alchemy.
Re: Mundane Weapons 05/09/2010 10:12 AM CDT
No, I never stop training mundane weapons. First, as pointed out before, there are TDPs. Second, magic does not kill everything; sometimes a mundane weapon (blessed even) is important - especially against the undead. Third, there are titles; nice to collect. Finally, there are "relations" within the realms; as long as I have been around, there seem to be a few folks that do not recognize me for what I am, and it is nice to be perceived as a barb, cleric, or ranger, etc.
Re: Mundane Weapons 05/09/2010 10:37 AM CDT
what was said above is true you should never really stop training your weapons. Unfortunately sometimes you get what happens to me.

At some point my weapons got such a huge gap between my prim and secondary that what I could train my defenses on wouldn't train my weapons. Also anything that could train my secondary weapons because they were not a risk to my character was no longer fun to hunt.

I don't even really train my primary weapon anymore instead focus that time on training other stuff and it will lock with parry.

If I could change things I would but I absolutely hate, and I mean hate, back training.

I know all about Paladins, trust me. All they do is boss you around and tell you what to do.
"Don't walk on the grass, don't litter, don't rape the cycle of life with your unclean Power" blah blah blah.
-Tsukiko OOTS
Re: Mundane Weapons 05/09/2010 12:14 PM CDT
>There was a time when I thought of TM as a novelty weapon for Moon Mages. It just didn't seem to pack the punch of my mundane weapons. Now that I have more ranks in magic, TM is definitly the most powerful weapon at my disposal. I was training 6 weapons at one point. Now I'm down to just training 2; I just train an edged and a blunt weapon. My question for you elder Moon Mages is...do you ever come to a point where you just stop using your mundane weapons? I can one shot things with my magic that I can't even hit with my mundane weapons. Should I just go with magic?

In short, no. Mundane weapons continue to grow in power as well. It seems like every invasion has creatures with significant magic resistance or immunity. For example, I could kill the hulks much easier with brawling or LT than with TM. GMs love to throw magic resistance on creatures.

Plus, there's BMR and AC.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Mundane Weapons 05/09/2010 12:16 PM CDT
>At some point my weapons got such a huge gap between my prim and secondary that what I could train my defenses on wouldn't train my weapons. Also anything that could train my secondary weapons because they were not a risk to my character was no longer fun to hunt.

This is pretty easy to avoid with all the moon mage disablers. TV + MB should take care of any reasonable rank gap.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Mundane Weapons 05/09/2010 03:36 PM CDT
Ok. I'm convinced. I'm training an edged and a blunt weapon. The only ranged I've ever trained is heavy thrown. What would you suggest for a ranged weapon? My best armor is shield. Lately I have been training hiding. Should I go with LX in order to use the shield or a stick bow in order to take advantage of hiding?

Dierik

Re: Mundane Weapons 05/09/2010 03:38 PM CDT
It's hard not to suggest LT in the current environment, even though I've wanted to do a crossbow character the past two times I've rolled a new guy up.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Mundane Weapons 05/09/2010 04:17 PM CDT
It may be my imagination- but LT does seem to do more damage now than it did in the past.

LX is potent, but the weapon can be a little heavy and does have a long RT for loading.

Or you could run with a shortbow and get either a fletched or a Nisha from El Bain's. The Nisha does come with a reduced RT.

Have fun!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Mundane Weapons 05/09/2010 04:22 PM CDT
I hate to go with the weapon that works "in the current environment." Usually that weapon has a big nerf right around the corner. I just can't stand the roundtime of using a crossbow. I think I'll go with the LT and Short Bow. Thanks for the help!

Dierik

Re: Mundane Weapons 05/09/2010 05:42 PM CDT
Have fun!

Sometimes the key to happiness is not assuming it is locked in the first place- Ziggy

A journey of a thousand SMILES begins with a single step- Ziggy
Re: Mundane Weapons 05/10/2010 12:19 AM CDT
If you want to be shield heavy, I suggest LX.

The roundtime reductions on it come with Agility so its actually not a bad thing.

It can also be used with a shield in hand, not just on your arm. Aside from that shortbows are great and theres some heavy thrown hammers you can pick up.

I know all about Paladins, trust me. All they do is boss you around and tell you what to do.
"Don't walk on the grass, don't litter, don't rape the cycle of life with your unclean Power" blah blah blah.
-Tsukiko OOTS
Re: Mundane Weapons 05/10/2010 02:59 AM CDT
>>If you want to be shield heavy, I suggest LX.

Yesssssss.

Shield Usage: 571 35.72% mind lock (34/34)
Light Crossbow: 441 94.03% very riveted (29/34)

Unf unf unf best combo ever.

- Phalanx Korsik Rippentropp, Vindicator of M'riss

Baum says to Lillietta, "Problem is that Korsik is a very big boy."
Lillietta says, "He is mentally unstable."
Re: Mundane Weapons 05/10/2010 08:00 AM CDT
If I go crossbow, is it worth the extra roundtime to go heavy crossbow or is it just better to go light crossbow?

Dierik

Re: Mundane Weapons 05/10/2010 08:30 AM CDT
>>If I go crossbow, is it worth the extra roundtime to go heavy crossbow or is it just better to go light crossbow?

Righty now? LX.

I chose HX to be different and on the off-chance that, when lore creation is rewritten, it will be more powerful. Currently LX is better though.

Right now the Moon Mage place on the "combat pet totem pole" is the part that's sunk into the earth to lower the pole's center of gravity.
-Armifer de Dragonrealms
Re: Mundane Weapons 05/10/2010 12:37 PM CDT
I'm past the point of being willing to backtrain any weapons up to level. I trained all weapons to 100 though so I've got a bit of a feel for all of them. If I were starting a new MM today i'd train

Brawling
HE/2HE (it's the most common swapable combo and both types are good have the same RTs and you can get them forged)
LX (I hate the RT as well, but meh. Getting to use your shield while aiming is pretty awesome)
LT

Also, yes to hiding/stalking. If you're going to be in combat anyway, learn as much as you can. Using the hunt verb will not only keep your perception moving, but will keep some xp in your stalking pool as well.

-Serc

"We, the disenfranchised men and women of Elanthia do, by the publishing of this accord, cast off the oppressive yoke of all law and nations and choose for ourselves a path of loyalty unto ourselves"
Re: Mundane Weapons 05/10/2010 01:10 PM CDT
Training a few mundane weapons detracts literally nothing from the effort you're expending if you are power-training evasion, armor, hiding/stalking and TM like you should be.

Right now the Moon Mage place on the "combat pet totem pole" is the part that's sunk into the earth to lower the pole's center of gravity.
-Armifer de Dragonrealms
Re: Mundane Weapons 05/10/2010 07:06 PM CDT
I am a longbow fan from way, way back, but I do not recommend that weapon in particular if you are starting out today since even HT is more convenient. I recently saw an LT demonstration (using throwing blades) in malchatas. It was an impressive and fast way to kill. I would go with LT as well.
Re: Mundane Weapons 05/11/2010 12:30 PM CDT
>>If I go crossbow, is it worth the extra roundtime to go heavy crossbow or is it just better to go light crossbow?

I went on heavy, but only reason was because when I first made my character fetched bows were not something that was common, not even sure if it was available.

Most people used store bought so, comparably a heavy xbow just hits like a train. That being said a fletched longbow with the right ammo will outpower an hx. If I could go back in time I would have gone with light or longbow.

-Tsukiko OOTS
Re: Mundane Weapons 05/12/2010 10:41 AM CDT
If you're going LX/Shield and LT, might as well throw in offhand training while you're at it.

That way you can target a spell, aim your crossbow and throw from the offhand while you're waiting.