Moonblade 04/22/2010 04:14 PM CDT
thought I read somewhere that there were four forms the moonblade could change to but it's only giving me three options. Did I read something with incorrect information?
Re: Moonblade 04/22/2010 04:23 PM CDT
>thought I read somewhere that there were four forms the moonblade could change to but it's only giving me three options. Did I read something with incorrect information?

You need SHMO.

Artificer Nilassa
Re: Moonblade 04/22/2010 04:28 PM CDT
I've got it, only gives me three options. Is there a skill base for the fourth?
Re: Moonblade 04/22/2010 04:33 PM CDT
http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Moonblade#Appraisals

TG, TG, GL, et al.
Also: Moo.
Re: Moonblade 04/22/2010 04:38 PM CDT
Thanks much!
Re: Moonblade 04/22/2010 05:42 PM CDT
Theoretically, its 4 weapons categories, and 2 become better w/ SHMO (lighter weight). Then within the categories you also have a lot. If you're just learning it now and can't make the more advanced shapes, your ranks would be nice to drop into the chart so we can start narrowing the range.

Moon Mages who get hit with HULP should indulge in their Survival Secondary side and run away.

-Armifer
Re: Moonblade 04/22/2010 09:23 PM CDT
With 2000 ranks in Arcana you can also shape it to a pony.

Right now the Moon Mage place on the "combat pet totem pole" is the part that's sunk into the earth to lower the pole's center of gravity.
-Armifer de Dragonrealms
Re: Moonblade 04/23/2010 01:29 AM CDT
>With 2000 ranks in Arcana you can also shape it to a pony.

Ooo, I totally have a new goal in my life now.
Re: Moonblade 04/23/2010 01:37 AM CDT
>>Theoretically, its 4 weapons categories, and 2 become better w/ SHMO (lighter weight).

5 weapon catergories with shmo, 2 weapon cats 3 shapes w/o

with shmo

2 Light edge (one for piercing, one for slashing)
3 Medium Edge(Standard moonblade similar to telo, Scimitar, and Rapier)
1 Heavy edge (standard broadsword)
1 Two-handed edge(claymore)
1 Staff (standard quaterstaff)

The light edge versions I believe are dagger and shortsword templates.

I know all about Paladins, trust me. All they do is boss you around and tell you what to do.
"Don't walk on the grass, don't litter, don't rape the cycle of life with your unclean Power" blah blah blah.
-Tsukiko OOTS
Re: Moonblade 04/23/2010 04:24 AM CDT
Wait, can someone clarify this for me? I can't seem to see it on Elanthipedia (though I was sure I did at one point).

What are the weapon categories/shapes WITHOUT Shape Moonblade?

-- Player of Niieth

P.S. I want a moonmattock. :(
Re: Moonblade 04/23/2010 06:21 AM CDT
I believe the three standard shapes are for parrying ME, slicing ME, and then a weaker HE than you can get from Shape Moonblade. I can't really say for sure though since I don't have the spell on my MM.
Re: Moonblade 04/23/2010 09:23 AM CDT
That correct.

The 'pedia entry shows it as "N/A" under the Weight column.

Moon Mages who get hit with HULP should indulge in their Survival Secondary side and run away.

-Armifer
Re: Moonblade 04/23/2010 09:47 AM CDT
What's everyones thoughts on the HE version without SHMB? Is the upgraded version worth another spell slot if I don't plan on using the extra shapes?
Re: Moonblade 04/23/2010 10:27 AM CDT
A heavy black moonblade is a heavy edged melee-ranged weapon.

You are certain that it could do:
low puncture damage
moderate slice damage
fair impact damage

You are certain that the moonblade is fairly balanced and is fairly suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the black moonblade is moderately strong, and is in pristine condition.

The black moonblade is made with metal.
The black moonblade feels light.
You are certain that the black moonblade is worth exactly nothing.
Roundtime: 16 seconds.

Its a standard crossing broadsword.

That being said, standard crossing broadswords are good weapons, especially if you can load three spells into them.

You focus your magical senses on a dull black moonblade.
The black moonblade has a definite magical matrix, which apparently holds it into its shape.
You recognize it as a manifestation of Transduction magic.
The matrix was woven with masterful complexity, forming three distinct nodes of magical energy within the moonblade, each suitable for containing another spell.
The primary node contains the Cage of Light spell.
The secondary node contains the Shadows spell.
The tertiary node contains the Piercing Gaze spell.
Magical energy flows through the moonblade's matrix and into the primary node, making it dominant.
You judge that the moonblade will last for roughly thirty-seven roisaen.
Roundtime: 5 sec.

You hold your black moonblade in front of you and make a ritualized sweeping motion toward the ceiling.
The Cage of Light spell is released from your moonblade!

With a barely perceptible screech, nearby shadows thicken and ooze toward you, covering you in a protective cage of shadows made of thin, crazed lines.

I know all about Paladins, trust me. All they do is boss you around and tell you what to do.
"Don't walk on the grass, don't litter, don't rape the cycle of life with your unclean Power" blah blah blah.
-Tsukiko OOTS
Re: Moonblade 04/25/2010 03:34 AM CDT
Thank you much.

Does the appraisal go up if you take shape moonblade? Or is it just a weight reduction?
Re: Moonblade 04/25/2010 10:14 AM CDT
Just weight reduction, as per the table on elanthipedia.

-Evran

The biggest, baddest, most taboo-est secret in the game: http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Sect_Spell_Affinity
Re: Moonblade 04/25/2010 03:31 PM CDT
Only tezirites may change the app.

But its not an "up" motion heh.

Although it doesn't have a percievable difference on heavy moonblades like it use to.

-Tsukiko OOTS
Re: Moonblade 04/25/2010 04:03 PM CDT
Actually, that reminds me... I have a question/request for the GMs.

Back before the Moonblade/Shape Moonblade change, people had different looks to their shaped moonblades like 'a broad moonblade' or a 'master moonblade.' As far as I could make out at the time, it was random based on some behind the scenes variable for the character so it was a lottery if you got a good one or a crappy one. Eye of the beholder notwithstanding.

I'd like SHMO to grant the qualifier 'master' like that in addition to the normal look, possibly with a couple selectable options. I know there's limited adjective space and that shaped moonblades have a couple already, but it'd be nice if something could be figured out. I was incredibly put out that I got 'broad' when others got 'master' with no way to change it, and real, really would like to have a master moonblade someday.

/end derail

-Evran

The biggest, baddest, most taboo-est secret in the game: http://elanthipedia.com/wiki/Sect_Spell_Affinity
Re: Moonblade 04/25/2010 04:45 PM CDT
>>Back before the Moonblade/Shape Moonblade change, people had different looks to their shaped moonblades like 'a broad moonblade' or a 'master moonblade.'

That wasn't a feature. Having a "master moonblade" did not mean your moonblade was masterful, but that no description was applied over your copy of the master moonblade template.

The spell was really, really in need of a bottom-up rewrite.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Moonblade 04/26/2010 07:48 AM CDT
<<That wasn't a feature. Having a "master moonblade" did not mean your moonblade was masterful, but that no description was applied over your copy of the master moonblade template.

Heh, yay for bugs. Thanks for the explanation.

Okay, can I have a master-as-in-masterfully-made moonblade someday then? Pretty please?

-Evran

Moonblade 01/09/2011 11:00 AM CST
Is it just me or does moonblade not parry well compared to a forged weapon?
Re: Moonblade 01/09/2011 11:10 AM CST
It depends. If you shape it then no it won't. If you leave it in its base form then its balance is far superior to anything else. That in and of itself doesn't mean you'll always parry better because defense relies on other factors like overwhelming your opponent which might be harder to achieve with the low damage rating.

-Evran

"RAGE + TEAR + EYE + RESO + HARM + DRUM + MISD + PRIDE + Your choice of Cyclic + AoE stun/knockdown as needed without losing buffs = OMG! I just crapped my pants!" -Evran
Re: Moonblade 01/09/2011 11:22 AM CST
I believe Moonblade is meant to be an extremely crappy weapon.
Re: Moonblade 01/09/2011 12:27 PM CST
<<I believe Moonblade is meant to be an extremely crappy weapon.>>

I like the 2HE incarnation.

A huge black moonblade is a two-handed edged melee-ranged weapon

low (3/25) puncture damage
severe (13/25) slice damage
somewhat heavy (8/25) impact damage

You are certain that the moonblade is inadequately (4/13) balanced and is soundly (8/13) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the black moonblade is of average construction (9/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

The black moonblade is made with metal.
You are certain that the black moonblade weighs exactly 40 stones.
Re: Moonblade 01/09/2011 12:35 PM CST
>>I like the 2HE incarnation.

The sad part is that I care so little about weapon stats (beyond a brief compare to see which one has a higher number) that I don't even know if that's any good. =P
Re: Moonblade 01/09/2011 12:53 PM CST
It's a lot better than it used to be, and definitely pretty good for the weight. Compare to my status quo forged bastard sword below, used generally for hunting since I need the balance to parry.

A bastard sword is a two-handed edged melee-ranged weapon.

somewhat fair (4/25) puncture damage
very extreme (16/25) slice damage
fair (5/25) impact damage

You are certain that the sword is decently (6/13) balanced and is soundly (8/13) suited to gaining extra attack power from your strength.

You are certain that the bastard sword is marginally vulnerable to damage (8/18), and is in pristine condition (98-100%).

The bastard sword is made with metal.
You are certain that the bastard sword weighs exactly 54 stones.
Re: Moonblade 01/09/2011 01:14 PM CST
Quickie Moonblade Stat Guide:

-The unshaped moonblade is a lot crappier than store bought stat-wise in everything except balance and weight, both of which being the best by far in game.
-The non-SHMO versions of the curved (ME slicer) and heavy (HE slicer) are exactly identical to standard storebought including the weight.
-All SHMO'd moonblades are identical to storebought in all stats except that they are much lighter in weight.

Short version: Don't expect much out of a moonblade except spell storage and convenience of never being without a weapon.

-Evran

"RAGE + TEAR + EYE + RESO + HARM + DRUM + MISD + PRIDE + Your choice of Cyclic + AoE stun/knockdown as needed without losing buffs = OMG! I just crapped my pants!" -Evran
Re: Moonblade 01/09/2011 01:44 PM CST
>>-The non-SHMO versions of the curved (ME slicer) and heavy (HE slicer) are exactly identical to standard storebought including the weight.
>>-All SHMO'd moonblades are identical to storebought in all stats except that they are much lighter in weight.

I read that and could not stop hearing Morgan Freeman asking, "Are you familiar with the shmoo, Mr. Fisher?"
Re: Moonblade 01/13/2011 11:24 PM CST
>Short version: Don't expect much out of a moonblade except spell storage and convenience of never being without a weapon.

Moons.