Armor and combat stealth 02/23/2010 12:51 PM CST
I'm starting a young moonie, and im undecided whether I wanna go HP/LP and just focus on TM for a weapon, or try and do stealth combat with a Leather/LC/HC setup. Im wondering for those who train stealth combat, does the hiding/stalking move pretty good after weapons learning really starts slowing down past like, 200, or is it pretty much stay close to whatever your combat skills are. Pretty much are you having trouble getting your hiding/stalking at like 250-300 to move when your weapons/armor/shield are only around 200
Re: Armor and combat stealth 02/23/2010 01:04 PM CST
My Stealth is around 950 and still locking easily, with my evasion hard capped at 900 and my highest weapon in the low 700s.

Plate is a poor choice for moon mages, given the current mechanics. In general, forget stealth and plate. Chain and plate can be workable, especially if you can wear more or less leather as necessary.
Re: Armor and combat stealth 02/23/2010 01:17 PM CST
>im undecided whether I wanna go HP/LP and just focus on TM for a weapon, or try and do stealth combat with a Leather/LC/HC setup.

HP and LP are very hindering, I would avoid those period. HP or LP will make it so that training evasion (especially early on) would be very difficult. Also, MMs do not have a way to counter the massive hinderance plate produces. Of course, if you care more about playing your character a certain way for RP/personal enjoyment, by all means, knock it out.

If you want to do stealth, I would recommend an all leather set up. LC is doable, but you will eventually have to alter how you train to accommodate the armor hindrance + creature perception.

>does the hiding/stalking move pretty good after weapons learning really starts slowing down past like, 200, or is it pretty much stay close to whatever your combat skills are.

Simple answer? Yes. A lot of variables will figure into this - are you keeping MO and Defenses up to par with the creature? Will you be hunting swarming creatures? etc.

Min/max can be a fun way to approach this game, but considering how much time is needed to really advance a character, I would suggest taking the approach that satisfies your imagination and brings you the most enjoyment.
Re: Armor and combat stealth 02/23/2010 01:19 PM CST
>If you want to do stealth, I would recommend an all leather set up. LC is doable, but you will eventually have to alter how you train to accommodate the armor hindrance + creature perception.

Chain is viable for moon mages, if you train it slightly above combats. Especially with the shadows spell.
Re: Armor and combat stealth 02/23/2010 01:23 PM CST
Hiding works fine for me with LC + shadows, but stalking can be a bit of a pain.

I'm still debating the value of an all-leather setup after the combat changes as well.

Given a choice between the two right now I'm not really sure which way to go.

Rev. Reene

Kssarh says, "She has many talents."
>
Kssarh says, "Some of which can be discussed in public."
Re: Armor and combat stealth 02/23/2010 01:36 PM CST
If you REALLY wanted to though its not gonna be a grueling effort to mix armors or have plate while training stealths as long as you kept up your physical stats.

My necro currently has something like 147 shield/parry, 150 multi, 105~110 LE, ME, offhand, brawling, pike, 130 leather armor/bone, 107 TM, 120 cloth, 100 HP. (somehow I keep forgetting to check evasion but it should be close to shield/pary) I believe hiding and stalking are just around 150.

I alternate between leather coat and cloth robe when in combat, and just remove the HP helm/gauntlets when training stealths. You're not realyl slowing down learning anyway because its not like your time can be better spent elsewhere with the skills mindlocked.
Re: Armor and combat stealth 02/23/2010 01:38 PM CST
>Chain is viable for moon mages, if you train it slightly above combats. Especially with the shadows spell.

Agreed. Something else I have begun doing is to remove my shield when i do the hide/stalk cycle. All leather just makes the training easier while giving ok protection.