Armor hinderance for moon mages 03/02/2009 07:52 PM CST
Given the difficulty i'm having with hiding and wearing chain i've decided to backtrain leather.

Does anyone know how low stealth hinderance can be trained on a full leather setup + armworn shield for MMs?

At 84 ranks of leather + armworn shield i'm still at fairly hindered for stealth (i'm at lightly without the shield, same as I am with my chain set up without the shield)

Is the shield the deal breaker here? Am I wasting my time training up leather if I'm going to insist on wearing the shield?

I've never payed much attention to armor. I got some chain and just let it train for the last 90 circles. Any help here would be appreciated.

-Serc

"We, the disenfranchised men and women of Elanthia do, by the publishing of this accord, cast off the oppressive yoke of all law and nations and choose for ourselves a path of loyalty unto ourselves"
Re: Armor hinderance for moon mages 03/02/2009 09:25 PM CST
215 ranks of leather, worn buckler and Vahlissa's stealth is lightly hindered.
Re: Armor hinderance for moon mages 03/02/2009 09:33 PM CST
Good enough for me. I will continue to grind leather for the next month or so. Thank you.

-Serc

"We, the disenfranchised men and women of Elanthia do, by the publishing of this accord, cast off the oppressive yoke of all law and nations and choose for ourselves a path of loyalty unto ourselves"
Re: Armor hinderance for moon mages 03/03/2009 06:50 AM CST
Serc, if you're really worried about stealth hindrance, put leather on the vitals (body and head) and cloth on the extremities, then make sure you're using a tanned small garg shield. This is far from an ideal protection setup, but you raiders need to die easier anyway :p

~Hunter Hanryu
http://drplat.com/CombatEquipmentCompendium.xls
Tolle says, "Yup yup, 'bout time. What the heck took you so long?"
Re: Armor hinderance for moon mages 03/03/2009 07:11 AM CST
This is why I wish Shadows gave a stealth boost not just a hiding boost.

I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content.
Re: Armor hinderance for moon mages 03/03/2009 09:01 AM CST
>>then make sure you're using a tanned small garg shield

Garg shield as opposed to garg buckler? What's the app on it?

~Thilan
Re: Armor hinderance for moon mages 03/03/2009 02:50 PM CST
>Garg shield as opposed to garg buckler? What's the app on it?

Higher protection if held in the hand (same protection if worn), lower hindrance, avg strength.

Re: Armor hinderance for moon mages 03/11/2009 07:28 PM CDT
I'm worried about it in that I would like to drop it from fairly to lightly and see how that works for me. I'm up to 105 leather now and still at fairly with perfect firecats and a crock armworn buckler.

-Serc

Re: Armor hinderance for moon mages 03/25/2009 01:32 AM CDT
Read this, first. http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=20&category=1&topic=1&message=2745

I'll wait.

Okay. As some of you know, armor hindrance has always been an Issue with Moon Mages. Specifically, you guys have far and away the worst hindrances in the game. This is not simply a matter of your Armor Tertiary status; armor hindrances were instead assigned based on the sort of qualitative "is it a combat guild?" concept that brought us such things as extra stance points and absurd "Masters of X" conversations.

This is going to change. Moon Mage hindrance issues will be brought into line with all Armor Tertaries, and you will share the joy and struggles of it together as one big skillset family.

In practice, this means two things.

1: Moon Mage minimum hindrances, more than anyone else in the game, are going down. Hindrance of every type of armor will be reduced, but it'll be especially noticeable for Leather and Cloth. Once again, you are getting the same deal as every Armor Tertiary in the game; you simply were that deep in the hole to start.

2: If you want to cash in on your new fortune, you need to engage in melee combat to work those armor skills. The flip-side of the coin is that you're still an Armor Tertiary guild that is designed more in mind of avoiding melee than taking hits. You are facing the analog of the "offer" I gave Paladins and Rangers with TM: you can excel stronger now in this field than ever before, but only if you're willing to put time and effort into your guild's weak area.

In a sense we've broken the chains of Moon Mages only to give you newer, shiny chains, but I hope you will all agree with me that it's a good change in Lunarlund.

-Armifer
<Kvlt> Step 1: Want stuff! Step 2: Be ambitious! Step 3: Believe in the ability of your fellow man to carry you to heights you are too incompetent to reach alone.
Re: Armor hinderance for moon mages 03/25/2009 02:18 AM CDT
Hooray! No more stuck at lightly from 10th circle!
Re: Armor hinderance for moon mages 03/25/2009 08:12 AM CDT
It's indeed a brighter future. Every guild can be a combat guild.

Nikpack

Climbing List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Climbing_skill
Swimming List:http://www.elanthipedia.com/wiki/Swimming_skill

And while I am evil, I try to avoid being just plain mean.
-Z
Re: Armor hinderance for moon mages 03/25/2009 09:17 AM CDT
Thanks a lot Armifer. I just posted a question about this in the other thread, before reading this folder, and you had already answered.
Re: Armor hinderance for moon mages 03/25/2009 10:31 AM CDT
Thanks for this, it sounds great.
Re: Armor hinderance for moon mages 03/25/2009 01:09 PM CDT
I'm disappointed. No comment from Wulfcat? =P

---
"Close your eyes -
For your eyes will only tell the truth..
And the truth isn't what you want to see.
In the dark, it is easy to pretend
That the truth is what it ought to be." - Erik Claudin
Re: Armor hinderance for moon mages 03/25/2009 01:49 PM CDT
>>brought us such things as extra stance points

Speaking of such, are these going to be re-evaluated? Given my primary character is a Barbarian I'm already getting the cream of the crop, so to speak, but I always thought it was sort of absurd that defensive points were allocated seemingly arbitrarily.

Paladins every 10 circles = perfect sense
Barbs every 10 circles also = I can see that.
Warmies every 15 = ...okay
Clerics, same skillsets as Warmies, every 20 =...huh?
Re: Armor hinderance for moon mages 03/25/2009 02:35 PM CDT
>>Paladins every 10 circles = perfect sense
>>Barbs every 10 circles also = I can see that.
>>Warmies every 15 = ...okay
>>Clerics, same skillsets as Warmies, every 20 =...huh?

Rangers with supposedly the best defensive skillset placement in the game, yet every 20....
Re: Armor hinderance for moon mages 03/25/2009 02:40 PM CDT
>>Rangers with supposedly the best defensive skillset placement in the game, yet every 20....

Hopefully combat 3.0 will make parry ranks just as desirable as shield/evasion ranks, in which case Barbarians would be analogous. Until then, though, Rangers do have the best skillset for combat.
Re: Armor hinderance for moon mages 03/25/2009 03:05 PM CDT
>I always thought it was sort of absurd that defensive points were allocated seemingly arbitrarily.

It wasn't set up based on skillset, it was set up based on how much a guild was considered "frontline". Rangers got lumped into scout/archery, while Paladins and Barbarians are very up front in combat. Warrior Mages fall somewhere in between with killing stuff with a hunk of steel or blowing everthing up from their comfy chair.

This isn't to say it's not arbitrary(because it is), but arguing whose skillset is best for defense is rather pointless when that's not what was taken into consideration. It is fairly arbitrary, though, because there are plenty of melee Rangers and ranged Warrior Mages. Perhaps his post was meant to imply they'll be reviewing the defense point allocation, moving it to more of a skillset model. Who knows? (Other than them)

Elemancer Opieus, Warrior Mage of Elanthia
>Aren't I pretty, now fall down on my ice, fool! ~ Axillus
Re: Armor hinderance for moon mages 03/25/2009 06:01 PM CDT
>In a sense we've broken the chains of Moon Mages only to give you newer, shiny chains, but I hope you will all agree with me that it's a good change in Lunarlund.

Nice.

So about those stance points...
Re: Armor hinderance for moon mages 03/25/2009 06:07 PM CDT
As far as I remember it, Paladins and Barbarians got extra stance points. Warrior Mages rose hue and cry, got stance point concession. Possibly through the magic of Wythor.

"...I am inclined to think the focus of the [Warmage's] spellbook should be ways to make things explode, to help you make things explode, or to assist your victim in exploding." -Armifer
Re: Armor hinderance for moon mages 03/25/2009 06:24 PM CDT
>>So about those stance points...

No promises, but it's a known quantity for Arbitrary Stuff.

-Armifer
<Kvlt> Step 1: Want stuff! Step 2: Be ambitious! Step 3: Believe in the ability of your fellow man to carry you to heights you are too incompetent to reach alone.
Re: Armor hinderance for moon mages 03/25/2009 06:58 PM CDT
<<As far as I remember it, Paladins and Barbarians got extra stance points. Warrior Mages rose hue and cry, got stance point concession. Possibly through the magic of Wythor.>>

Yes.

Also, it's 1% defensive stance point increase every 20 circles after 100th for a Barbarian. Not 1% every 10 circles.

It's supposed to stop at 200th circle for every guild - Yeah...

- Simon
Re: Armor hinderance for moon mages 03/25/2009 07:17 PM CDT
So for those of us suffering from hardcore unique snowflake syndrome, are we looking at both increased melee viability and increased stealth viability in heavy armor, particularly heavy plate?

Personally I don't care much for stealth anyway, hence the armor choice, but I can't help but be curious.

---
Player of Kryeus Kyshi'cio
Re: Armor hinderance for moon mages 03/25/2009 07:19 PM CDT
>It's supposed to stop at 200th circle for every guild - Yeah...

You have enough Overall Magic for Circle 185 and need 4 (5978) ranks for Circle 186

* beats the horse a bit more *
Re: Armor hinderance for moon mages 03/25/2009 07:20 PM CDT
>increased stealth viability in heavy armor, particularly heavy plate

No, stealth will never be viable in heavy plate.
Re: Armor hinderance for moon mages 03/25/2009 08:18 PM CDT
>>So for those of us suffering from hardcore unique snowflake syndrome, are we looking at both increased melee viability and increased stealth viability in heavy armor, particularly heavy plate?

Stealth viability is not changing. HP is not a good idea at all if you care about stealth.

Minimum evasion hindrance for HP is going down for Moon Mage. It's still not a great idea if you value Evasion, but it'll hopefully be noticeable better than it is now.

-Armifer
Re: Armor hinderance for moon mages 03/25/2009 08:29 PM CDT
>>Minimum evasion hindrance for HP is going down for Moon Mage. It's still not a great idea if you value Evasion, but it'll hopefully be noticeable better than it is now.

Still the best DR news I've heard in a long while. Eagerly awaiting this change being rolled in.

---
Player of Kryeus Kyshi'cio
Re: Armor hinderance for moon mages 03/27/2009 05:02 PM CDT
I am very much looking forward to these changes. Thanks to everyone involved.

-Serc