Spell Idea: Pain Deferral 04/28/2018 12:37 PM CDT
Name: Pain Deferral
Type: Warding
Book: Protection
Valid Targets: Self, other, group
Description: The Pain Deferral spell was developed by field healers looking for a way to keep their charges from quickly perishing under the onslaught of overwhelming foes. The spell forms a ward around the target which absorbs all incoming damage, and slowly inflicts it back over time rather than all at once.

Notes:

-This spell has no bearing on how much damage the one protected by it receives, it just modifies when that damage occurs. As such, I'm hoping it's unaffected by the eventual Barrier Review.

-Basically it gets "charged" by damage the target receives such that they take no damage at the time the hit occurs. It then has a pulsing effect to inflict this "charged" damage back in small chunks. More potent casts inflict less damage per pulse. Damage is applied to the same part of the body where the hit landed, so maybe each body part gets its own "pool" of "stored" damage, plus another one for vitality.

-Any remaining damage that hasn't yet been inflicted when the spell's duration ends gets dumped on the target all at once as the spell drops.

-The idea is to give the caster time to heal the person on whom they've cast this spell. I've noticed that sustaining people who are badly outclassed by their attackers is a bit of a weak spot since they take damage so fast, and this seems like an interesting tool to help with that.

Metaspell Add-on: Guided Defferal
Effect: Instead of being applied to the original part of the body that was struck, stored damage is now applied to the part of the body with the least injury already on it at the time of each pulse. Now the damage is being both delayed and dispersed over the entire body instead of being potentially piled on one spot.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: Spell Idea: Pain Deferral 05/01/2018 06:50 AM CDT

I like this idea. It's kinda like converting burst damage to DOT.
Re: Spell Idea: Pain Deferral 07/23/2020 06:54 AM CDT
Here's a link back to the original post in this thread since it's somehow a couple years old already:

http://forums.play.net/forums/DragonRealms/The%20Empaths/Suggestions%20-%20Empaths/view/1464

When I first read the description of Emuin's Candlelight in the Redeemed release announcement, it made me sort of squint and say "hey, wait a minute...". Now that I've read the spell's Elanthipedia page, it legitimately bothers me that this idea appears to have been pilfered for another guild (the polar opposite of Empaths, no less). I'm not so much upset that they did get something like it, but rather that we didn't. I sincerely hope that this doesn't automatically rule out the possibility of Empaths getting a similar spell at some point, or something else to serve the stated purpose of the suggestion. It's not unheard of for different guilds to have conceptually or functionally similar spells, after all.

Thanks,
-Biomancer Karthor
Re: Spell Idea: Pain Deferral 07/23/2020 05:57 PM CDT

Do empaths need another damage reduction spell? They're already one of the tankiest guilds with IC, MAF, POP, VH, and stance points from tanking offense.
Re: Spell Idea: Pain Deferral 07/23/2020 06:06 PM CDT
<<Do empaths need another damage reduction spell? They're already one of the tankiest guilds with IC, MAF, POP, VH, and stance points from tanking offense.>>

The point is more for field healing, really. Specifically when the one(s) we're aiming to sustain are badly outclassed and just exploding willy-nilly. I wouldn't be heartbroken if it could only be cast on others and not ourselves, or even if it took a different form entirely as long as it performed that sort of function. Heck, maybe it could even be some fancy-pants Empathy ability instead of a spell at all.

Thanks,
-Biomancer Karthor
Re: Spell Idea: Pain Deferral 07/23/2020 06:10 PM CDT

Have you tried innocence, guardian spirit taunt, POP + Regen, or stealth?
Re: Spell Idea: Pain Deferral 07/23/2020 06:39 PM CDT
<<Have you tried innocence, guardian spirit taunt, POP + Regen, or stealth?>>

It seems like you may be misunderstanding me. I'm not talking about trying to field heal in an area where I am outclassed, but rather trying to heal someone in combat when they're outclassed. In that situation, they often get clobbered so fast that trying to sustain them is a lost cause no matter what, so I suggested a way to slow down the clobbering without altering the total amount of damage they take. Of those things listed, only the GS taunt could possibly help in that situation. Incidentally, I have tried that and it wasn't terribly effective. Having a way to make it taunt everything engaged with a particular character (other than yourself) might be a neat addition.

Thanks,
-Biomancer Karthor
Re: Spell Idea: Pain Deferral 07/23/2020 08:15 PM CDT

Yeah, I don't get it. I've never been in a situation where someone was outclassed so much that a GS taunt, NB, or drag didn't stop the damage while I healed them up. I've also never had a situation where someone wasn't taking so much damage over a long period of time where VH + regen couldn't keep up. In those situations, I'm not sure stagger would help. I'm still not sure where you'd use this, so ignore me, I guess.

PS: I'm not being defeatist. I just don't understand the need.