Empath spell suggestions 08/29/2016 04:17 PM CDT
I don't know whether something similar has been proposed before, but I thought these might be good ideas...

Surgeon's Dexterity
Provides bonus to first aid and outfitting (maybe skinning)
Cannot be used with IZ
-The Surgeon's Dexterity spell was developed after the shuttering of the Imperial Healer's Guild to help those who wanted to provide aid to the wounded by steadying their hands during triage and surgery.

You gesture. You stretch your fingers and feel your hands grow more steady and dexterous.
<Empath> gestures. <Empath> stretches his/her fingers.

Flight
Moves caster out of combat and out of the room (random direction)
Combat-only, large hit to concentration and fatigue, can only be cast in rooms with obvious exits
-The Flight spell takes advantage of the caster's adrenaline and helps him or her find a way, ANY way, to get out of battle. However, when the adrenaline wears off, the caster finds himself or herself fatigued and confused as to exactly where he or she is.

You gesture. A surge of adrenaline courses through your body.
You search frantically for a way to escape. You race <direction>!
<Empath> gestures. <Empath's> eyes widen and s/he looks around frantically. Suddenly s/he races <direction>!

__
A swamp troll looks at you.
Re: Empath spell suggestions 08/29/2016 04:26 PM CDT
>Surgeon's Dexterity
> Provides bonus to first aid and outfitting (maybe skinning)

I'm all for more survival bonuses, but I think it was recently mentioned that FA isn't even on the radar to boost. Sure sounds like it may get worked on before too long (or just wishful thinking). I like skinning or locks, but then you could just pick up an HoL scroll...if you can find one (I've looked, can't find any)

>Flight
> Moves caster out of combat and out of the room (random direction)

Umm, not sure a room movement is worth anything over what Innocence already does, aside from working on constructs/undead. And even then it looks like a spell version of FLEE.
Re: Empath spell suggestions 08/29/2016 04:44 PM CDT

>Flight

This is pretty antithetical to Empaths, I'd say. They aren't about avoiding conflict, they're about subverting it. My Empath sure as hell isn't going to flee in terror, and furthermore, I'm not sure how this suggestion is any different from the FLEE command?

>Surgeon's Dexterity

An FA buff seems pretty useless, though an Outfitting buff could be neat. With the theme of Surgeon Dexterity, why not go something like 'renders some percentage of attacks or spells as ignoring defenses, and can be cast on others'?
Re: Empath spell suggestions 08/29/2016 08:24 PM CDT
> Flight
> Moves caster out of combat and out of the room (random direction)
> Combat-only, large hit to concentration and fatigue, can only be cast in rooms with obvious exits
> -The Flight spell takes advantage of the caster's adrenaline and helps him or her find a way, ANY way, to get out of battle. However, when the adrenaline wears off, the caster finds himself or herself fatigued and confused as to exactly where he or she is.

I like the concept, but this sounds like a mana version of flee. Rather than making you run out of the room, what if we called this adrenaline rush and made it so that you couldn't die while it was up? A good way to save you if you overhealed, or are at risk in battle.

If your goal is to remove creatures, then we have compel. I wouldn't mind an AOE-room effect version of that though. Something can spawn but it immediately feels unwelcome and leaves. Likewise players who try to take a hostile action. They're moved in a random direction. ( I would love to force players to make the debilitation check when they enter, but that has trolling concerns).

> Surgeon's Dexterity
> Provides bonus to first aid and outfitting (maybe skinning)

Maybe call it surgeon's insight and give it an alchemy and FA (freebie) boost. Have that lead into a metaspell (Surgeon's training) which expand the spell to add outfitting and skinning to the mix. The idea is that one draws on empathic memories to boost healing related skills, and you can extend that into general anatomy through more power/practice.
Re: Empath spell suggestions 08/29/2016 10:03 PM CDT

>Something can spawn but it immediately feels unwelcome and leaves. Likewise players who try to take a hostile action.

Didn't you just describe Innocence?

>surgeon's insight

Are people really that interested in Crafting boosters?

>The idea is that one draws on empathic memories to boost healing related skills

Like GoL? First Aid is pretty useless to anyone beyond like... 200 ranks.
Re: Empath spell suggestions 08/29/2016 11:20 PM CDT

> Didn't you just describe Innocence?

I think I just described banner of truce.

> Are people really that interested in Crafting boosters?

I think it's appropriate for a support oriented, lore-prime guild.

> Like GoL? First Aid is pretty useless to anyone beyond like... 200 ranks.

That's why I suggested FA be a flavor oriented freebie, and I think GoL is a great precedent towards extending that branch of magic.

While we're on the topic, I would love a spell that improves our mental discipline. Call it deaden nerves or mind over body or ignore pain or something. It's a 2 slot ritual spell that does three things:

1. You no longer have the pain messaging, crying out, or otherwise suffering while healing. This includes not falling over when healing or bleeding starts up again.
2. You can now tend, play instruments, or generally do anything that a wound would block you from doing. There's a chance that this would aggravate the wound.
3. You're no longer stunned if you're struck where you have a wound.

It's pre-reqs would be awaken and/or MEF.

Oh, and one/two more while we're day dreaming. Draw Disease, Draw Poison. Requires Shift, FP, and CD. You have to be poisoned and/or diseased to cast (will later interact with the poisons system so you can use a material component if it's not in your body). This spell coats your body in a magical, viscous substance that can hold poison and disease dormant. When cast, the substance draws out the poison and/or disease within your body for it's duration. Anyone or anything that attacks or touches you while you have this spell up may suffer contamination, becoming poisoned or diseased respectively. You can gesture at your guardian spirit to transfer the barrier to them, and you can heal them of any disease or poison they suffer when the barrier breaks.
Re: Empath spell suggestions 08/30/2016 06:37 AM CDT
Surgeon's Dexterity only had the FA boost suggested because it went with the theme of the spell. Since not every empath does alchemy, and we are a lore prime guild, I felt that an outfitting boost would be beneficial. Even if it were approved, it's not a requirement that anyone learn it.

Flight was based on Contingency, but since the GMs don't like duplicate spells, I changed it a bit. The purpose was more to get an empath out of combat quickly in situations where one is massively outclassed and retreating gets nothing but roundtime. I wanted to make empaths more self-sufficient, rather than depending on others for rescue.

But thanks for the negative comments JHALIASCLERIC. I now know not post any more suggestions.

__
A swamp troll looks at you.
Re: Empath spell suggestions ::NUDGE:: 08/30/2016 08:01 AM CDT
Let's please keep this constructive.

Thanks you,

Helje
DragonRealms Senior Board Moderator

If you have a question about the forums, please email me Senior Board Moderator Helje at DR-Helje@play.net or Message Board Supervisor Annwyl at DR-Annwyl@play.net
Re: Empath spell suggestions 08/30/2016 08:20 AM CDT

One of the possible outcomes of posting your ideas in a public space is someone may disagree with your ideas.

> I wanted to make empaths more self-sufficient, rather than depending on others for rescue.

Empaths don't depend on others for rescue, and your idea was 'give Empaths a third avenue for escaping combat'. That's not improving self-sufficiency.
Re: Empath spell suggestions 08/30/2016 11:46 AM CDT
Other than wanting a Tactics booster of some kind first, I think crafting boosters in general would be welcome. I mean, what else is there to boost in our primary skillset that makes any kind of sense? We already have Empathy. Appraisal and Performance aren't really very thematic. That leaves Tactics (very thematic for combat empaths) and crafting. I would prefer general boosters instead of skill specific, but the guild does have a lean towards Alchemy with the free techs and such...

I'd also like to see non-spell abilities get a bit more attention, like expanding manipulate and such. One thought could be something like "manipulate protect <creature>" such that maybe it helps you disengage, or even forces critters facing you to face it, etc. Would require the creature to already be manipulated to work. This combined with our other tools we already have could provide some engagement options like what was suggested.
Re: Empath spell suggestions 08/30/2016 12:27 PM CDT

I'd rather they not add spells for the sake of it, and put that effort towards a GS rewrite.
Re: Empath spell suggestions 08/30/2016 01:09 PM CDT
>>I'd rather they not add spells for the sake of it, and put that effort towards a GS rewrite.

While there's nothing wrong with feeling this way, that's not explicitly how development works.

Uzmam! The Chairman will NOT be pleased to know you're trying to build outside of approved zones. I'd hate for you to be charged the taxes needed to have this place re-zoned. Head for the manor if you're feeling creative.
Re: Empath spell suggestions 08/30/2016 02:29 PM CDT

A tactics buff would be AWESOME for Empaths, assuming that bigger successes on Tactics maneuvers = larger effects.

I too would like to see expansion of GS and Manipulate!