Okay. Last one. Three more requests for combat empaths who still want to heal others. 08/01/2016 09:03 PM CDT

Request 1: GS summons more warriors based on how much power you put in the spell.

- 5+ mana = Warrior.
- 17+ mana = Warrior + battle mage.
- 30+ mana = Warrior + Battle mage + Shaman.

Warrior is as is today. Taunt only applies to this one.
Battle mage a ranged caster. It randomly casts fire ball, frost scythe, and lightning bolt. (Power equivalent to your TM)
Shaman Caller is a buffer. It casts bless on you and the warrior. Malediction on it's target. (Power equivalent to your debilitation/utility)

If that's too powerful then let us pick which one to summon, but I like the idea of summoning a horde of creatures to defend and attack.
- Warrior can teach a weapon skill (whichever it's holding).
- Mage can teach TM.
- Shaman can teach debilitation.
- Maintaining the cyclic trains utility.

Request #2: Point [target]. You ask for help in defending against [target]
- You, your army of spirits, and all manipulated creatures turn to face [target]. The warrior and two manipulated creatures engage it. The other two keep their distance doing their thing.

Request #3: Manipulate Empower.
Some RT action to add damage to your manipulated minion's attacks for a brief period of time. Maybe draining their health in the process. Over clocking their bodies, forcing them to push beyond their normal means, dealing more damage, and draining their vitality over time (they're using it - you aren't hurting them, per se). Empathy relative to the creature determines how much further you can push them.
Re: Okay. Last one. Three more requests for combat empaths who still want to heal others. 08/01/2016 09:07 PM CDT

I'm not sure what your intent here is - Empaths aren't really suffering for combat prowess, and being good at combat doesn't really hinder an Empaths ability to heal as well. You don't have to shock yourself to be a combat empath.

Personally, I'd like to see GS abandoned in favor of something more akin to SLS (no engagement), but that's not going to happen. In line with having a fae pet I don't think you're ever going to get Empaths summoning ADDITIONAL fae pets. Consider that YOU are the ranged caster - cast spells. If you want to play a pet class that summons multiple entities, go with a Necro.

I would like to see Empathy expanded with more than just Manipulate.
Re: Okay. Last one. Three more requests for combat empaths who still want to heal others. 08/02/2016 08:30 AM CDT

I get why you'd say that. I think the GS/Manipulate mechanics are clunky too, but it's what we use to open up combat situations without sacrificing the reason we started empaths. I like the flavor they give the guild, and I think it makes lore sense for empaths and necromancers to do things in a similar (but not similar) way. It also makes sense for both to be pet classes rather than just one.

The reason I keep pushing this is primarily due to the recent (and not so recent) round of additions we've seen to the game. It's almost all geared towards combat, and we can't always have flexing undead to fight. Also keep in mind that my motivation here is due to choosing an empath as a main. I know, it turned out to be an unintentional trap as this is really an alt-class now, but I liked the toolkit when every new game system and event didn't boil down to RNG loot and thus kill speed. At the very least, having control and direction over our damage sources feels like a necessity for full-time empaths today. At least those that don't want to be little more than scroll-using commoners that have to make the choice of which part of they game they don't want to play. The leveling part or the new event part.

Maybe I'm alone here, and maybe I should just give up and finish my transition into a new class, but I really do like empaths on paper. I just wish they fit better in the world of modern DR.
Re: Okay. Last one. Three more requests for combat empaths who still want to heal others. 08/02/2016 08:42 AM CDT

> It's almost all geared towards combat, and we can't always have flexing undead to fight

Right, but, again, Empaths don't need to train weapons to fight, and don't even need Absolution to train weapons.

I'm not sure what you mean by the rest of what you've brought up. A lot of the game is combat based, and that means focusing on combat related things. If you don't like that, you picked a class that gives you the option to avoid it, almost entirely truthfully.

>Maybe I'm alone here, and maybe I should just give up and finish my transition into a new class, but I really do like empaths on paper. I just wish they fit better in the world of modern DR.

I think there's room for improvement, but I honestly don't understand the ire you seem to be directing at Empaths here.
Re: Okay. Last one. Three more requests for combat empaths who still want to heal others. 08/02/2016 09:21 AM CDT
Multiple GS summons at a time will probably not happen.

I'm not opposed to the idea of multiple types of summons. I hated to remove the colepexies, etc when we rolled out 3.0, but at the time we didn't have time to write that many types, among other things. However -- even if I'm not opposed to an idea, that's far from saying I can get approval for it, or find time to code it. If it does happen, it will probably be in the form of metaspells which open up additional warrior types.

Empaths are probably never going to be a superb damage dealing class, however. Right now Empaths excel at surviving nearly unsurvivable situations, and helping others to do so. If I (for lack of a better term) increase Empaths' DPS, it will be at the expense of defensive capabilities. That's not really a road I want to go down, but I'm open to opposing points of view.

Melete
Nature, it seems, is the popular name
for milliards and milliards and milliards
of particles playing their infinite game
of billiards and billiards and billiards.
Re: Okay. Last one. Three more requests for combat empaths who still want to heal others. 08/02/2016 09:27 AM CDT

>Empaths are probably never going to be a superb damage dealing class, however. Right now Empaths excel at surviving nearly unsurvivable situations, and helping others to do so. If I (for lack of a better term) increase Empaths' DPS, it will be at the expense of defensive capabilities. That's not really a road I want to go down, but I'm open to opposing points of view.

That said, respectfully, Empaths hunting the undead or constructs can put out DPS that's pretty solid. Instead of focusing on Empath DPS, which I think is more than fine, I think it'd be neat if Empaths had more to do in combat, or more combat related things tied to Empathy. As it is, weaving/circling, paralyze/lethargy/nb, manipulate, and watching the GS kill stuff is a little shallow feeling.
Re: Okay. Last one. Three more requests for combat empaths who still want to heal others. 08/02/2016 09:40 AM CDT

> I'm not sure what you mean by the rest of what you've brought up. A lot of the game is combat based, and that means focusing on combat related things. If you don't like that, you picked a class that gives you the option to avoid it, almost entirely truthfully.

- Every quest has combat portions, and most are almost entirely rewarding combat with the best chance at the best items.
- Even the non-combat rewards from the recent safari event require significant combat prowess (especially for a weapons/armor tert) in order to succeed.
- Every treasure system is implicitly tied to combat. You want gems? Kill things. You want scrolls? Kill things. You want boxes? Kill things. You want maps for exploration? Kill things. The workorder system is a good work around, but it's not tied to the treasure system. That can only take you so far. Buying from players is another option, but you're still restricted from the source - and thus you're relying on other players having the thing you need and being willing to give it to you.

> I think there's room for improvement, but I honestly don't understand the ire you seem to be directing at Empaths here.

The ire isn't directed towards empaths. I like the empath toolkit, and I've always loved the concept of the class. I just think it could be improved, that social standing isn't what it once was, and the reward mechanism needs to change or empaths need to adapt to it.
Re: Okay. Last one. Three more requests for combat empaths who still want to heal others. 08/02/2016 09:43 AM CDT

@Melette,

Thanks for your comments. This is very helpful in understanding the probability of this. If empaths are what they are then fine. I'll continue pushing my alts until they become my mains. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is.
Re: Okay. Last one. Three more requests for combat empaths who still want to heal others. 08/02/2016 09:47 AM CDT

>- Every quest has combat portions, and most are almost entirely rewarding combat with the best chance at the best items.

I personally view quests as entirely unneccesary to the games enjoyment, but if you like them, remember, Empaths don't suffer for being able to kill things, and don't need weapons to do so. Your GS will always be more effective than your weapons.

>Every treasure system is implicitly tied to combat.

Yes, and? Why would you want gems? You could always, if you desired, just heal and craft and use the coin generated from doing so to buy scrolls, treasure maps, and boxes. The treasure system, other than treasure maps and scrolls, isn't ultimately generating anything other than coins, which are also generated from the work order system. I'm sort of confused here - other than treasure maps and scrolls (and maybe boxes for training locks on?) what do you actually NEED from the treasure system?

>I just think it could be improved, that social standing isn't what it once was, and the reward mechanism needs to change or empaths need to adapt to it.

Right, but...

I agree it could be improved.

I have no idea what you mean by 'social standing'. Empaths are still the best healing option in the game, period. Now they can also hold their own in combat.

I don't know what you mean by 'reward mechanism'. What is your metric for 'reward' here?
Re: Okay. Last one. Three more requests for combat empaths who still want to heal others. 08/02/2016 10:02 AM CDT

What I'm reading from this is that you and I play the game in two different ways. That's fine. The fact that we can both do that is great about this game, but it shouldn't be a surprise that we have two different opinions on what would be better for the game. It doesn't seem to matter though. The GMs agree with your perspective, so it is what it is. The only thing left to do is to alter my game play to accommodate that fact.
Re: Okay. Last one. Three more requests for combat empaths who still want to heal others. 08/02/2016 10:08 AM CDT
I'm doing this as a separate thread because the direction is different.

> I have no idea what you mean by 'social standing'. Empaths are still the best healing option in the game, period. Now they can also hold their own in combat.

A lot of people seem openly hostile towards empaths, presumably because they have their own pet path or friend to heal them. I've had people go all caps on me for taking their twitching. Twitching.

> I don't know what you mean by 'reward mechanism'. What is your metric for 'reward' here?

Treasure systems. Something other than raw coins. I would love for tasks to scale and give you rewards as if you killed a creature of the appropriate level. I'd like work orders to sometimes give you random (even if low quality) mats or gems or boxes or scrolls. Outdoorsmanship is good with the mining and lumberjacking systems, but I'd like more systems like that. I'd like collectables (yes, I do cards) to be rewarded for things other than murderball.

> what do you actually NEED from the treasure system?

Need is the wrong word. What do you actually NEED from any of this. You can park your commoner in a safe room, put on avoids, and activate sleep. Congratulations. You just beat the game. You're immortal. Nothing can hurt you. Game over, right? We PLAY the game because it's fun. This is one way that I have fun.
Re: Okay. Last one. Three more requests for combat empaths who still want to heal others. 08/02/2016 10:18 AM CDT

>A lot of people seem openly hostile towards empaths, presumably because they have their own pet path or friend to heal them. I've had people go all caps on me for taking their twitching. Twitching.

This is a metagaming issue, and is pretty unrelated to Empaths as a whole, I'd say. People who are going to scream at you because you healed them before their alt could get to them are idiots, and you should just move on and ignore them. I would not say they represent the norm by any stretch of the mind - I 'wound steal' all the time when I pass through gathering spots and have only had people tell me to just heal them whenever I happen through instead of asking twice and whispering an apology. Out of curiosity, do you principally reside in the Crossing?

>Treasure systems. Something other than raw coins. I would love for tasks to scale and give you rewards as if you killed a creature of the appropriate level. I'd like work orders to sometimes give you random (even if low quality) mats or gems or boxes or scrolls. Outdoorsmanship is good with the mining and lumberjacking systems, but I'd like more systems like that. I'd like collectables (yes, I do cards) to be rewarded for things other than murderball.

Ok, but, 'gems' are just 'things that are worth coins until you give them to a gemshop'. Skins too, unless you want to convert them to leather for Outfitting, which for all but maybe 3 critters is simply a waste of time. Scrolls and Treasure maps are the only 'treasure' really. I've found one treasure map the entire time I've played across all characters, and ended up finding a neat headgem that I sold for a ton of coin. I stockpile scrolls, and buy and sell them as needed. Cards too, I suppose, but again, that's not something that Empaths have a hard time accumulating.

As for your notion of 'tasks to scale', you're describing a quest system, which would be cool, but is entirely unrelated to issues with Empaths, and something Empaths could easily jump into. I too think it would be neat if an NPC or something was like 'Yo, go kill 5 moose and bring me their antlers', and started up with a Bounty Point System akin to Gemstone, but I also don't really think it's necessary or, again, something Empaths aren't 100% capable of rocking face at.

Again, I feel like I need to remind you that Empaths are more than capable of killing things and killing them good. There is room for improvement, but what you are asking for regarding a more involved treasure or quest system is 100% unrelated to Empaths specifically.
Re: Okay. Last one. Three more requests for combat empaths who still want to heal others. 08/02/2016 10:19 AM CDT

And I still don't understand what you actually want from Empaths, underlining again that you seem to have a notion in mind for the way you want to play a character, and may simply have in mind a notion that is thematically and mechanically unsuited for Empaths. That's fine. There are numerous guilds - if you want to swing massive weapons and shoot fire at your enemies, yes, Empaths are not the guild that specializes in doing so, though, again, they can.
Re: Okay. Last one. Three more requests for combat empaths who still want to heal others. 08/02/2016 11:32 AM CDT
<<Empaths are probably never going to be a superb damage dealing class, however. Right now Empaths excel at surviving nearly unsurvivable situations, and helping others to do so. If I (for lack of a better term) increase Empaths' DPS, it will be at the expense of defensive capabilities. That's not really a road I want to go down, but I'm open to opposing points of view.>>

For whatever it's worth, I for one agree with you. I really like the "extremely weak offense in exchange for ultra survivability for self and others" thing, and regard it as pretty much the cornerstone of the guild's identity. I just wish there were more opportunities to engage in the "helping others to do so" part of that.

Thanks,
-Life Weaver Karthor
Re: Okay. Last one. Three more requests for combat empaths who still want to heal others. 08/02/2016 05:35 PM CDT
Empath combat as a whole is viable vs NPC's, but struggles in PvP, as the singular way an Empath can attack (Shock Free) is via GS.

Some suggested improvements for the GS:
-Faster engagement speed
-More ranged attacks
-Increased TM skill modifier to GS abilities*

*An assumption is being made that the current Empath skill (TM) modifier for determining GS potential, will not provide the GS enough combat potential to provide the Empath a means of defending/attacking in a PvP situation an opposing player with comparable skills in defense.

Other improvements/features:
-Reflective damage shield for Empath/GS (i.e. attacker takes damage when attacking GS, or Empath)
-Engagement spell (i.e. forcibly moves a target from beyond melee range with the GS and places it engaged at melee range with the GS)
Re: Okay. Last one. Three more requests for combat empaths who still want to heal others. 08/02/2016 06:26 PM CDT
>>-Engagement spell (i.e. forcibly moves a target from beyond melee range with the GS and places it engaged at melee range with the GS)

The GS can actually be commanded to taunt players. It's a charm vs. will contest. It doesn't move them directly to melee, but it moves them to pole and sets them to be advancing on the GS. If they're sitting or standing it will make them stand up, and if they're hiding/invis it will bring them out of hiding/invis (assuming the Empath can see them).

Melete
Nature, it seems, is the popular name
for milliards and milliards and milliards
of particles playing their infinite game
of billiards and billiards and billiards.
Re: Okay. Last one. Three more requests for combat empaths who still want to heal others. 08/02/2016 07:16 PM CDT
>>-The GS can actually be commanded to taunt players. It's a charm vs. will contest. It doesn't move them directly to melee, but it moves them to pole and sets them to be advancing on the GS. If they're sitting or standing it will make them stand up, and if they're hiding/invis it will bring them out of hiding/invis (assuming the Empath can see them).

That's some cool functionality that I was not aware of working on players.