Ability Idea: Manipulate Reflect 08/23/2015 07:25 PM CDT

I'm not sure whether or not this has been discussed, but I've always thought it would be neat if empathy had some direct functionality in combat. Imagine if after a successful empathic touch attack (perhaps an empath only tactics-based maneuver? Grapple based?), the empath could attempt to manipulate the link between yourself and your target, to make them feel what you felt. Imagine that scene in "Powder" where he makes the man feel the deer's death throes. The targets mind would make it real, a la "Matrix", functionally allowing an empath to reflect some percentage (or even at a bonus, based on the success of the check?) of damage received by the empath to the target. Perhaps at a reduced percentage to players. I also see doing damage this way training empathy, with experience similar to manipulate. One link at a time, for balance.
Re: Ability Idea: Manipulate Reflect 08/23/2015 07:28 PM CDT
This functionality is actually slated to be a Necromancer barrier spell.

So, pretty close to Empathy, really.

Thayet
Twitter: @thayelf
Tumblr: thayette.tumblr.com
Re: Ability Idea: Manipulate Reflect 08/23/2015 07:59 PM CDT
I imagine since Necromancers are getting something along these lines, that if such a spell or ability were given to Empaths it would either be sorcery of some type, or extremely frowned on by the guild. The Empath guild ICly is extremely against weaponizing Empathy.

Though you know, Raesh never answered if that new Necromancer spell would be signature...

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Re: Ability Idea: Manipulate Reflect 08/23/2015 08:31 PM CDT
Yeah, that's very much a Necromancer use of empathy - I can't imagine an Empath doing that without causing themselves some major, major, shock.

-Raesh

"The trouble with atheism, is that it offers a limited range of curses.” - Two Serpents Rise
Re: Ability Idea: Manipulate Reflect 08/23/2015 08:58 PM CDT
I again notice you didn't say if the new Necromancer spell would be signature or not.

Re: Ability Idea: Manipulate Reflect 08/23/2015 09:13 PM CDT
That's because I don't have an answer yet.

If it isn't, it wouldn't be shock friendly and it'd have the usual outrage fun.

-Raesh

"The trouble with atheism, is that it offers a limited range of curses.” - Two Serpents Rise
Re: Ability Idea: Manipulate Reflect 08/23/2015 09:20 PM CDT
>If it isn't, it wouldn't be shock friendly and it'd have the usual outrage fun.

Like that'll deter people. ;)