Shifting 07/04/2011 10:02 PM CDT
Is there anyone who offers shifting services that hangs around Crossing?
Re: Shifting 07/06/2011 06:38 PM CDT
I don't hang around Crossing, but my empath can be there in just a few minutes from Lang as I climb/swim there instead of waiting on barges and ferries.
Re: Shifting 01/07/2012 07:34 AM CST

Welp I am gonna put my neck on the block here and just post..

If anyone is needing shifting services I am available in Crossings for a while yet.. My fee is 5 plats per shift no matter the shift. Also if you are wanting age shifts done and if your wanting more then 20 years worth of work done I will bundle the amount.

I can do all shifting work and if you need a list just let me know via bird..
>> heartsfyredr

and dont shoot the bird please. its been super faithful

with all my heartfelt thanks and joys and yadda yadda..

Heartsfyre Gothsoul
Re: Shifting 01/07/2012 09:17 AM CST
lol I like your accountname.

---
Inauri
Re: Shifting 01/07/2012 09:52 AM CST
I hope this isn't the wrong place to ask this question:
Why do Empaths charge such a steep rate for shifting? 5 plats for what amounts to a 5 minute inconvenience seems kind of absurd. Does shifting teach you Empathy? Why not just say "Gladly accepting tips!"

My Cleric doesn't charge people for Raises, my Moonie opens gates and will walk the Ways to drop beams for people. Is this just related to that brand of Healers who charge up front for healing?
Re: Shifting 01/07/2012 10:43 AM CST
>>My Cleric doesn't charge people for Raises, my Moonie opens gates and will walk the Ways to drop beams for people. Is this just related to that brand of Healers who charge up front for healing?

From an in-character perspective, shifting is almost as bad as doing sorcery. It's currently not illegal, but only because most governments do not want to acknowledge that it exists, and vigorous efforts by the guild to suppress it. An empath who engages in shifting despite this, can end up persona non grata as far as guild leadership is concerned.

This bit of lore has been forgotten by most of the player base (including most Empaths) which is I think is unfortunate, it's a fun situation that I think has a lot of roleplay potential.

Melete
[Turmis] I'm about to shoot beards in the face
Re: Shifting 01/07/2012 12:05 PM CST
>This bit of lore has been forgotten by most of the player base (including most Empaths) which is I think is unfortunate, it's a fun situation that I think has a lot of roleplay potential.

It's also unfortunate that there is no mechanic built in when I intentionally shift in public, including in front of a Guildleader. Even if the government wants to turn a blind eye, the Guild should be after me.
Re: Shifting 01/07/2012 12:44 PM CST
I know of atleast one empath who got blocked from circling for a period of time for doing a shift in the guild. So it has happened before.

On another note, shifting teaches only teaches a VERY small amount of empathy, even when you do several in a row. And alot of prices I think are left over from when the recovery time was much longer (read hours and for some shifts a day or so). Now not ALL empaths charge, some do take tips, some (the ones who are aware of the guilds views on this) don't advertise but if you ask around discretely you might be surprised what you find.

Mordibar
Re: Shifting 01/07/2012 12:58 PM CST
I think all the shifts all of my characters have received have been from friends while we're killing time. I understand there's an RP element to the illicit nature of shifting, which can justify charging, but feel that announcing that you are offering your services for a charge is a rather un-RP to stick to it.
Re: Shifting 01/07/2012 01:09 PM CST
>>Jhaliascleric: Why do Empaths charge such a steep rate for shifting? 5 plats for what amounts to a 5 minute inconvenience seems kind of absurd.

That's actually pretty cheap compared to the old rates. If anything, prices should increase due to inflation.

"PHA = Healer Union. They charge for healing based on your injuries. We will now pause while everyone gives their opinion on this." -- Teilan
Re: Shifting 01/07/2012 09:04 PM CST
>Why do Empaths charge such a steep rate for shifting? 5 plats for what amounts to a 5 minute inconvenience seems kind of absurd. Does shifting teach you Empathy? Why not just say "Gladly accepting tips!"

There's several ways to look at it -

- As Melete mentioned, the Empath guild doesn't like you talking or doing things that are outside the box. Shifting is very outside the box although the stigma continues to lose steam since Jomay made herself scarce. Most empaths now weren't around for that as an empath.

-Shifting barely teaches empathy, it's better than it used to be but nothing significant. (last shift I did got me to 2/34)

-It's a product. Supply and demand, just because it's not an item that I can hand you or put on a trader table doesn't mean it's worthless.

-For my character she asks for a random amount based on how much she feels her time and what she's offering is worth. You want three height shifts? I'm offering a perminant product and I get nothing of value in return?

As an example I ask for X plat let's say.. (I've heard the whole "not everyone has X plat" arguement and well I don't have thousands of plats to get an auction item, everyone has their spending range)

Customer says that's too much. My character will usually barter and offer 20% or so off the top.

"Well so and so will do it for 5 plat" - Well go and see them then. Shifting requests are so infrequent and the money so insignificant that I really don't care about losing the shift or the money. There are so many empaths that can do it now and there's no "top level" shifts to make this ability worth it to HLC empaths.

As is the case with many things in the empath guild, there's just about a 50/50 split of empaths who will do anything and everything for nothing out of the good of the heart versus empaths who won't.
Re: Shifting 01/07/2012 09:43 PM CST
ILLEGAL BODY MODIFICATION. Aaaaa... Jomay.

Also everything Melete and Asrea said. And yes, you will get kicked out of the guildhall for attempting to shift someone while inside. I don't know about in OTHER guilds, but this is how it works in the empath's guild.

All of the shifts I have done, I've done for free. I've also refused a lot of people because they were too blatant. For me, it's the simple matter that Inauri sees it as being almost as bad as making dead things move or thievery; she doesn't want it getting around that she does it anyway.

---
Inauri
Re: Shifting 01/08/2012 04:03 AM CST
I would turn Malkien into a pretty lady, but then he'd quit adventuring altogether and never leave his bedroom.
Re: Shifting 01/08/2012 07:10 AM CST
>And yes, you will get kicked out of the guildhall for attempting to shift someone while inside. I don't know about in OTHER guilds, but this is how it works in the empath's guild.

Just to be clear, I've shifted in the Crossing Empath Guild, Plat instance. Nothing happened which was disappointing given that I was aware of that happening in Prime.

Re: Shifting 01/08/2012 09:20 PM CST
Perhaps they forgot to install that in Platinum. Platinum perk? lol

---
Inauri
Re: Shifting 01/08/2012 11:34 PM CST
As for the guild. I do not blatently go out and offer my services out in the street, I know the history and i know the lore.. Hell i've even warned a few people in an IC way to ask politely upon gweths on how to ask for a shifting empath.. without being blasted with the smasher.. It's all supply and demand on my part. yeah i charge 5 plats per.. and yeah i'm not one to raise prices.. I've studied the amounts people have charged in the past. and that means from the old system.. to the new.. and i've helped a few understand what they are getting during the age shift and whatnot.. so I charged what i did. and made is standard for everything i do.

This is the main way I make my coins in DR. I didn't start out as the worlds best skinner, so there went that idea.. and I dont sit in the guild unless i absolutely have to.. shudders.. but then thats my personal view.. so I fell back on something that is hush hush, almost illegal, but profitable from the right people who want makeovers. And frankly I normally take the people i shift to an out of the way place so I just don't do it infront of other people.. like i've seen some do.. heh..

Once in a while I will do a few favors.. but hell who wouldn't?

Heartsfyre Gothsoul