Re: Cosmetic Race Changes (Temporary Disguises) 04/15/2011 02:49 PM CDT
>>Delver: Would the concept be workable if:

I wouldn't be opposed to the ability to disguise your race if it had those limitations, because under your system, it wouldn't be possible to create hybrid characters. I would also like to see a recovery period after race shifts during which a person's race could not be shifted again. ("You sense that Bob's body is not stable enough to undergo a change of such magnitude at this time.")

A neat feature of your system might be that while your race is disguised, you have a better chance of not being recognized by guards. Of course, there could be a catch: other NPCs might not recognize you either. ("I'm sorry, but I can't let you withdraw money from Bob's account. According to my records, he is a Gor'Tog, not a Halfling.")

I'm not sure that imposing social and divine outrage would be necessary if the other limitations were in place -- not unless you think that shifting, in general, should result in such outrage. (From the perspective of the Empaths' Guild, the very act of shifting is forbidden.)

>>Delver: Would a mask changing one's features when worn be more acceptable?

There are already some masks that alter the wearer's features, so I wouldn't have a problem with such masks so long as the new masks worked like the old masks (limited duration and finite charges).

"PHA = Healer Union. They charge for healing based on your injuries. We will now pause while everyone gives their opinion on this." -- Teilan
Re: Cosmetic Race Changes (Temporary Disguises) 04/15/2011 04:57 PM CDT
Really for me it comes down to my extreme jealousy of halfling smoke images... I wish it just came easier to them but with enough practice I could shape the same images :(

You have excellent points Sark, and I guess I could see where it could be too powerful in the eyes of the guild.
Re: Cosmetic Race Changes (Temporary Disguises) 04/15/2011 11:20 PM CDT
>>Really for me it comes down to my extreme jealousy of halfling smoke images... I wish it just came easier to them but with enough practice I could shape the same images :(

In a game where a character can learn pretty much anything, the restricted abilities are that much sweeter.

The smoke system is, I think, especially neat. As each race can learn images to a degree - some more than others. But none as well as the Halfling.

Chocolate covered granola bars to everyone involved in that!

~Sunshine and Daisies
Re: Cosmetic Race Changes (Temporary Disguises) 04/17/2011 11:43 AM CDT
>I'm not sure that imposing social and divine outrage would be necessary if the other limitations were in place -- not unless you think that shifting, in general, should result in such outrage. (From the perspective of the Empaths' Guild, the very act of shifting is forbidden.)

The thought behind divine outrage is that many races have a patron god. Would the Elven patron be very happy about a Dwarf being shifted to an Elf? While the current Elanthia is more racially tolerant that hasn't always been the case, nor is racial prejudice completely eliminated.

Social outrage, in part, because of the Guild forbidden aspect. In part because there should be outrage and fear about such a blatant manipulation or shape-shifting. It should be very jarring and unnerving in an IC perspective. I was thinking along the lines of the Ocular, assassins, justice avoidance.

As a player I find it rather sad that I can sit anywhere, including in a Guild leader's office, and shift to my heart's content with little to no repercussion.

Mechanically even a limited approach has its issues. It was an interesting concept to think about, apparently not in postings though.