Shifting Abiltities 06/19/2010 04:30 AM CDT
I just want to thank the empath team and everyone involved for the fantastic developments for the empath guild last couple of years. I'm an empath no matter what. Perfectly happy training combat with circle, bob, weave, and learning melee weapon by parry. But I still enjoy the new abilities when they come. Paralysis has been a blast. I hear constructs are a blast, but their are none on Ratha (may find out someday).
I still think the ultimate goal of shift should be to create an entirely new identity for characters. They basically get a new name use while in that shifted form. I have no idea the mechanics for that, it may be an impossible nightmare, but if they look so extremely different, then no one should be able to recognize them as the character they started with. Just an idea I been trying to push along. Again love the empath developments, go constructs, go paralysis. Powerwalk forever!!!

player of Frediwyn
Re: Shifting Abiltities 06/19/2010 11:05 AM CDT
>>ARNWOLF: I still think the ultimate goal of shift should be to create an entirely new identity for characters. They basically get a new name use while in that shifted form.

This is not a mechanical question but a lore question: how would shifting alter a person's name? Shifting is an extension of empathy, a supernatural connection with the life force of another being. A name, on the other hand, is just a label -- not bound up in a person's life force.

Teilan: PHA = Healer Union. They charge for healing based on your injuries. We will now pause while everyone gives their opinion on this.
Re: Shifting Abiltities 06/19/2010 04:43 PM CDT
The most powerful shifter we know of , Jomay, was able to shift herself and others to look like completely different people that actually existed. I believe she used it as a method of escape for herself and possibly others. The people who saw these shifted folks thought it was actually the other person.

It has been posted in the past, if I remember correctly, that PC names will never - ever - be able to get changed.
Re: Shifting Abiltities 06/19/2010 08:20 PM CDT
>>ASREA: The most powerful shifter we know of , Jomay, was able to shift herself and others to look like completely different people that actually existed. I believe she used it as a method of escape for herself and possibly others. The people who saw these shifted folks thought it was actually the other person.

I'm familiar with Empath lore, but there is a difference between making someone resemble another person (a physical change) and changing someone's name (slapping a new label on a character). The former is within the purview of empathy; the latter is a matter of having the character claim to be someone else.

As a practical matter, it's unlikely that PC Empaths will ever attain the incredible powers that are attributed to the First Empaths (and later Jomay).

Teilan: PHA = Healer Union. They charge for healing based on your injuries. We will now pause while everyone gives their opinion on this.
Re: Shifting Abiltities 06/19/2010 08:34 PM CDT
In the arr-pee sense, it'd be pretty simple for someone who's had his entire body radically changed to a new appearance to simply call himself another name and begin life anew.

In the game sense, there is no intention of letting players have access to renaming themselves for what should hopefully be clear reasons.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Shifting Abiltities 06/19/2010 10:36 PM CDT
>> As a practical matter, it's unlikely that PC Empaths will ever attain the incredible powers that are attributed to the First Empaths (and later Jomay).

Although we can hope...can we ever hope...

~ Trem

I'm sharpening my halo into forest thorns // I'm sanctifying pages in the protocols of war.
Re: Shifting Abiltities 06/20/2010 04:07 AM CDT
Maybe I wasn't clear.. I'm saying it was alluded to in lore as such but was clear that the ability to change names was never going to happen.
Re: Shifting Abiltities 06/20/2010 04:55 PM CDT
So, what's the word on shifting? I performed one much earlier today, got a downtime of about half an hour (which I was very happy for!) and got busy doing something else before I could set myself to doing another. A few hours later, all I keep getting is:
"There is a problem with the Shift system. Please try again in a few more minutes."
I can understand that maybe the reduced downtimes were unintended (though I do have to say I am all for reduced times - 4 hrs to change someone's nose is a little insane, especially since I can shift the body's largest organ - skin - with less time), but what's with the broken messaging? I also got it yesterday and just forgot about it until again encountering it today.

---
Player of Sajuta, Rakash Battle Empath
...and a whole lot of others.
Re: Shifting Abiltities 06/20/2010 05:37 PM CDT
>>MATRIX8888: A few hours later, all I keep getting is: "There is a problem with the Shift system. Please try again in a few more minutes."

I got that error message several times last night and basically retrying until I was able to shift. The error message normally went away within 1-2 minutes.

Re: Shifting Abiltities 06/20/2010 06:14 PM CDT
I got the same message a few times as well, I kept trying and it did go away after a few minutes.