Upcoming SHIFT AGE Changes 06/15/2010 11:17 PM CDT
As the aging changes come closer to release, I'm able to talk in a bit more detail about what Empaths can expect to see. This is not live yet, but will be in the upcoming days or weeks.

In short, Age Shifting has been rewritten to make use of a new backend mechanic for handling this sort of thing. The important bits for you are as follows.

1) Shifts will no longer literally change someone's birthday, it is applied as a modifier to someone's real age.
1a) When this change is live, everyone who has been age shifted under the old system will have their original birthday and age restored as far as INFO and any other system that cares about birthdays and absolute age concerned.
1b) Shifted age will still impact your appearance in LOOK as it always has, and will be quantifiable through a new verb that will be released simultaneously, AGE.

This is done as part of a greater scheme for handling racial aging and age modifications in a new way. Your character's birthday is actually important for a few esoteric things in game, and no amount of supernatural bending and twisting of the body would conceivably alter it.

2) SHIFT AGE DAY and SHIFT AGE MONTH will be going away.
2a) SHIFT AGE YEAR will have its difficulty reduced to where SHIFT AGE MONTH currently is.

While we are removing options, they are being removed because they are ultimately superfluous under the new scheme. It made no sense to begin with that you could "look a day younger." In addition, with Zeyurn's blessing Empaths will gain access to the Age Shift of meaningful size much quicker than before.

3) SHIFT HELP AGE will be updated at the same time to reflect the new difficulty and reduced options.

This is done because I don't hate you.

4) This change will be backwards compatible with currently existing age shifts.
4a) Anyone who has a year or more shifted will have the number of years they've been shifted applied to the new system, ignoring any remainder. Someone who's been shifted 5 years and 2 months will be credited with 5 years of age shifting.
4b) Anyone who has been age shifted but less than a year will be credited a single year in the appropriate direction. If you've been age-shifted a day older, when the new system comes out you'll be given a year of looking old.

This is done because I don't hate your customers, either.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Upcoming SHIFT AGE Changes 06/16/2010 08:14 AM CDT
>> This is done because I don't hate you.
D'awww, Armifer. We experience a relatively ambiguous, neutral emotion somewhere between moderate dislike and genuine affection for you, too!

~ Trem

I'm sharpening my halo into forest thorns // I'm sanctifying pages in the protocols of war.
Re: Upcoming SHIFT AGE Changes 06/16/2010 09:20 AM CDT
Thanks for going the extra mile to keep the customer's shifts entact. Probably would have been a lot easier to wipe it, but I know at least a few customers that are going to appreciate tha extra work.

Yeah, I didn't really see the point in day and month shifts. Not going to miss those. I don't think I ever had someone ask for one.

~ Purehand

>collect coin
You manage to collect a pile of coin.
Roundtime: 30 sec.

... Jackpot.
Re: Upcoming SHIFT AGE Changes 06/16/2010 09:30 AM CDT
Thanks, Armifer! I love everything about this release.

Teilan: PHA = Healer Union. They charge for healing based on your injuries. We will now pause while everyone gives their opinion on this.
Re: Upcoming SHIFT AGE Changes 06/16/2010 09:31 AM CDT
Your signature always cracks me up Sark.

~ Purehand

>collect coin

... Jackpot.
Re: Upcoming SHIFT AGE Changes 06/16/2010 11:13 AM CDT
Sounds good. I don't suppose there's any chance that a new age Shifting option, DECADE, could be added at the soon-to-be vacant difficulty level previously occupied by YEAR, is there?

Thanks,
-Death's Nemesis Karthor
Re: Upcoming SHIFT AGE Changes 06/16/2010 11:23 AM CDT
DECADE is already an option, but is currently set to be GM only for reasons which I am unclear about and thus hesitant to touch.

-Armifer
"In our days truth is taken to result from the effacing of the living man behind the mathematical structures that think themselves out in him, rather than he be thinking them." - Emmanuel Levinas
Re: Upcoming SHIFT AGE Changes 06/16/2010 11:25 AM CDT
>but is currently set to be GM only for reasons which I am unclear about and thus hesitant to touch.

Any chance that is just b/c of the way they had the difficulty scaled, they didn't even think 2k ranks in all the appropriate skills should be enough?
Re: Upcoming SHIFT AGE Changes 06/16/2010 11:29 AM CDT
There is an indefinite number of possibilities that I have no basis to pick from at the moment.

-Armifer
Re: Upcoming SHIFT AGE Changes 06/16/2010 11:31 AM CDT
Hm, that would explain Obseden's moderately recent "There is technically something coded that is higher than Shift Year, but it is not attainable by player Empaths at present" comment. It seems like this would be a good time to revisit it, though...the "at present" makes it sound like he wouldn't necessarily be automatically opposed to ever opening it up.

Thanks,
-Death's Nemesis Karthor
Re: Upcoming SHIFT AGE Changes 06/16/2010 12:20 PM CDT
Decade would be really nice. The guild currently has no aditional unique guild accomplishments (spells, abilities etc etc) whatsoever past something like 60th circle.

Year shift kind of dangled out there as one final box to check when you got 525 average in your lores or whatever the req actually was.

~ Purehand

>collect coin

... Jackpot.
Re: Upcoming SHIFT AGE Changes 06/16/2010 01:23 PM CDT
I would hazard a guess that decade hasn't been an option due to the fact that someone could then shift down a 17 year old to be 7 with no support for the result in age appearance or restrictions on becoming guilded at that age appearance, if one existed.

===
Oleveir says, "One must be careful around the angry ODS women."
Re: Upcoming SHIFT AGE Changes 06/16/2010 02:25 PM CDT
Wonder how old I can manage to get before it gets reverted.

>describe boar
It's a boar. It doesn't like you.
Re: Upcoming SHIFT AGE Changes 06/16/2010 02:47 PM CDT
>>I would hazard a guess that decade hasn't been an option due to the fact that someone could then shift down a 17 year old to be 7 with no support for the result in age appearance or restrictions on becoming guilded at that age appearance, if one existed.

There actually are hard limits in Shift Age for how extreme the shifts can get. Though they're currently keyed to the game's incorrect values, which is why Cop is still able to get something like a 600 year old Gnome.

Part of this rewrite puts those limits into scale with the corrected age ranges. But, again, old shifts will be honored. Cop can keep his insanely old Gnome.

-Armifer
Re: Upcoming SHIFT AGE Changes 06/16/2010 02:52 PM CDT
>Part of this rewrite puts those limits into scale with the corrected age ranges. But, again, old shifts will be honored. Cop can keep his insanely old Gnome.

Any chance of renaming myself Yoda? I've got my moonsaber already.

>describe boar
Re: Upcoming SHIFT AGE Changes 06/16/2010 02:56 PM CDT
Not my department, unfortunately.

-Armifer
Re: Upcoming SHIFT AGE Changes 06/16/2010 08:47 PM CDT
Decade was originally put in because it was asked for at a Simucon and I was being snarky.

For now, questions about it being opened up should be directed to Lyneya.

-GM Obseden
"To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven."
"Anything's possible. Especially since I'm rewriting the system."
Re: Upcoming SHIFT AGE Changes 06/16/2010 11:36 PM CDT
>For now, questions about it being opened up should be directed to Lyneya.

I'll take a peek!

~ Lyneya
Re: Upcoming SHIFT AGE Changes 06/17/2010 02:35 PM CDT
<<Any chance of renaming myself Yoda? I've got my moonsaber already.

Shouldn't be hard to accomplish. Get a GM to come over to TF and have them send you to the Renaming Pavillion or LCI or whatever it's called in DR. The mechanics are already in place to force a name change on a character and leave the character intact.

~Tieriana~
Re: Upcoming SHIFT AGE Changes 06/17/2010 03:05 PM CDT
>Shouldn't be hard to accomplish. Get a GM to come over to TF and have them send you to the Renaming Pavillion or LCI or whatever it's called in DR. The mechanics are already in place to force a name change on a character and leave the character intact.

I wasn't serious, but even if I was GMs only consider name changes in rare circumstances. I wouldn't qualify.

>describe boar
Re: Upcoming SHIFT AGE Changes 06/17/2010 08:20 PM CDT
<<I wasn't serious,

Knew that, was intended as a more "Tongue in cheek" sort of post.

Lack of body language and intonation can be a real pain when dealing with message boards. :/
Re: Upcoming SHIFT AGE Changes 06/19/2010 05:53 PM CDT
>Yeah, I didn't really see the point in day and month shifts...

This was one of the few shifts I had done on Kyth. Somehow a group of us got talking about birthdays, and there was Kyth's:
>You were born on the 10th day of the 5th month of Uthmor the Giant in the year of the Iron Toad...

Giants, ick. Iron Toads, bleh!

hehe, I think Amo shifted me 2 or 3 months so I had a birthday in a different month and a year or two so I was born in the (saucy!) year of the snow hare...gone now, so sad!

All in all, not that big a deal, but that's what I used it for.
Kythryn
Re: Upcoming SHIFT AGE Changes 06/19/2010 06:07 PM CDT
Yeah, the day shifts in particular didn't really have a point except to change your birthday. I mean, you'd never significantly change your age/appearance that way.

>describe boar