So Hard for it Honey 10/11/2008 02:31 AM CDT
Anyone have any innovative money-making schemes?

My Empath is chronically poor since she doesn't heal often and can't kill the creatures she uses to learn combats.

Sitting for hours in a healing spot or using an avenger to farm money in low level hunting areas that don't move my combats is too mind-numbing to contemplate. Stealing is off of the table for RP reasons. I can't even sell fish to the fishmonger due to shock. This leaves tasks, which decline so steeply after a certain point that they don't seem worth the time.

So how do you make money? Any suggestions?

Dragonrealms Tourney Calendar: http://tourneydr.com
Re: So Hard for it Honey 10/11/2008 02:36 AM CDT
1. Buy common but obscure-looking item from a shop in Timbuktoo.
2. Bring it to Crossing and offer to sell this strange but interesting trinket on the gweth.
3. ???
4. Profit!

Rev. Reene

<Reene> Whenever I blaspheme on the gweth I get an 11% hit to my spirit.
<Steph> THE TEXT GODS ARE REAL AND THEY WILL OPPRESS YOUR SOUL SLIGHTLY
Re: So Hard for it Honey 10/11/2008 11:47 AM CDT
Like Caelumia said, buying items from other places in Elanthia and shipping it over to Crossing is probably the easiest route.

Another way is to play the market and buy low and sell high (basically acting as a trader). The profit margin can be good or you can take a loss now and then but just have to learn what certain things are worth
Re: So Hard for it Honey 10/11/2008 02:16 PM CDT
Offer to partner up with someone when you hunt and share the loot. Carve and sell staves...yes it'll be boring....

~ Player of Lyathe
Re: So Hard for it Honey 10/11/2008 02:46 PM CDT
you can make a plat in lirums almost everytime when hunting in sprites in Ratha. (with an avenger of course) and you can make around 5 gold in rock trolls with skins, and boxes. not a ton of money but something. i think you are prolly able to take higher beasties than i can, but that is where my empath makes money.
Re: So Hard for it Honey 10/11/2008 03:06 PM CDT
The real money is in hunting. As manipulate is broken and avengers aren't quite reliable, you'll have to get creative:

1)loot ferries. Encumbrance is a huge issue to hunters, and as a result they tend to leave a ton of stuff on the ground. Patrol the area and shuffle their stuff to a safe point, allowing them to continue hunting safely until they are ready to leave combat and process loot.

2)loot service. Hunters kill, leaving you to search, collect, and skin. You'd also pick boxes, and you'd stay there until your replacement arrived.

3)A critter-flushing service. Gen rate is getting "fixed", but maybe even then it's still not at a level a particular player wants. You can be paid to keep a body there to up the gen rate, while avoiding combat (you may want to talk to the GMs about this, since certain conditions are considered mech abuse).

4)healing. I don't particularly think this will be very lucrative, but perhaps you could work out a monthly plan sort of deal rather than relying on on-site payment.

5)delivery/supply service. Buy up/collect tons of tools/materials necessary for hunting--herbs, lockpicks, bags, ammo, etc--and then walk them to the hunters so they don't have to leave combat to resupply.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: So Hard for it Honey 10/11/2008 05:27 PM CDT
I guess I'll go with Reene's method, as it fits best with this character's history and disposition. It seems like a lot of work, but I guess going to timbuktu to get crap and selling it for a slight markup does provide a service of sorts to the community. Plus it's a chance to put those survival skills to good use.

In the meantime I will continue to lobby for a way for Empaths to hunt effectively, it sort of dismays me that Empaths who focus mostly on combat have to go to such lengths to make ends meet.

Szrael was berated recently for shaking people down for tips, because she is a combat Empath and shouldn't need money. Ironically, choosing to keep Szrael in combat most of the time means she makes almost no money, which led me to create this thread. I know other people are managing somehow .

Re: So Hard for it Honey 10/11/2008 05:46 PM CDT
>> I know other people are managing somehow .

1. find high level spouse
2. cyber/marry
3. ???
4. profit!

Rev. Reene

Re: So Hard for it Honey 10/11/2008 06:13 PM CDT
>>In the meantime I will continue to lobby for a way for Empaths to hunt effectively, it sort of dismays me that Empaths who focus mostly on combat have to go to such lengths to make ends meet.<<

I know you already know this, but empaths are not designed to be combatants, they are designed to be healers. If this were not the case, then empaths would not have armor and weapons skills tertiary. While moonies CAN be combatants, they, like empaths, don't need combat skills to circle, and their armor and weapons skills are tertiary also. If you wanted to hunt so much, a different guild might have been a better choice. Almost ANY other guild than empath... but it's a little late for that. I applaud your perseverance, but the simple fact is empaths are not set up to be offensive combatants in any way.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Re: So Hard for it Honey 10/11/2008 06:21 PM CDT
Empaths deserve the same degree of combat and income viability as Moon Mages.

I find your assertions here funny in light of the fact that Empaths are actually less hindered in all armor types than Moon Mages.

Rev. Reene

Re: So Hard for it Honey 10/11/2008 06:32 PM CDT
>>empaths are not designed to be combatants

Empaths already have two methods of hunting, but neither are skill based. There is no skill I can train to make my avenger more powerful, no skill I can train to make the maintenance cost of manipulation lower.

Let empaths who train the hell out of their magics summon more powerful avengers. Allow Empaths with tons of Empathy to reduce the maintenance cost for manipulate. Of course the my fondest dream is construct hunting (lots of constructs already exist in Elanthia, they're just not flagged such), but I'm not holding my breath. Constructs are not alive, so there is no reason Empaths can't hunt them, except mechanical ones. I simply want these mechanical bars to Empath combat removed.

Skill based ways to participate in the combat system to MAKE MONEY (hi forum subject) are long overdue for Empaths.

Re: So Hard for it Honey 10/11/2008 09:17 PM CDT
i am not sure i understand why empaths can not be combatants. if you are willing to train the hell out of tertiary (sp) skills in order to be able to defend yourself and use an avenger, then really more power to you.

as far as more powerful avengers with higher magic... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!! that would make for much better hunting opportunities and give us other avenues to make money.
Re: So Hard for it Honey 10/11/2008 09:22 PM CDT
Not sure where you get the idea empaths aren't meant to be combatants. The only reason we can be seen as not meant to be in combat is we personally cannot attack critters because of shock (until future changes).

Empaths are secondary survival meaning they have easier to train evasion and we also have SoP to boost our evasion. If we weren't meant to be combatants why were we given evasion boosting spells (AD and SoP). We're also given the ability to manipulate, innocence, and sleep critters.

You're the type of empath I hate. If you want to be sitting around giggling and flirting/humping the opposite/same sex, more power to you. But people like Karthor, Szrael, Squiff, Sophrona, Mingold and many others prove you wrong that we aren't combatants.

Currently the system is highly favored to people who circle chase for more powerful avengers and not really giving people like Szrael and some others the ability to hunt at level (which is unfair). The current issue with manipulate is the main hinderance for anyone who wants to do any realistic hunting and hopefully it'll get fixed soon.

Anyways all in all, I agree with Szrael that empath combat is not balanced and it's preposterous to assume that empaths are non combatants.
Re: So Hard for it Honey 10/11/2008 09:59 PM CDT
>>(lots of constructs already exist in Elanthia, they're just not flagged such)

Out of curiosity, which creatures are you defining as constructs?

-Armifer
"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms-- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."
-Viktor Frankl
Re: So Hard for it Honey 10/11/2008 10:23 PM CDT
>>The only reason we can be seen as not meant to be in combat is we personally cannot attack critters because of shock<<

QFT... Thank you for proving my point.

The premise is OFFENSIVE capabilities for the purpose of killing critters and making money, which as you so astutely noted, causes shock. I have nothing against empaths that train defenses, I do it myself.

>>You're the type of empath I hate. If you want to be sitting around giggling and flirting/humping the opposite/same sex, more power to you.<<

You won't find me doing any of that. I can't stand most people's so-called idea of RP, so I don't hang out in the guild, I never use the verb giggle, smooch, hug, or otherwise. I basically don't like people, but I won't say that I don't like or even "hate" you because I don't know you, even though you seem to have made a certain set of assumptions about me.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Re: So Hard for it Honey 10/11/2008 10:31 PM CDT
>>constructs

Rock Guardians:

Huge! Approximately twenty feet high, the rock guardian looks like a construct of some kind. The entire thing is made of stone (very much like granite). Even so, the thing does not move awkwardly. Instead, its slow movements seem deliberate, almost graceful. Its face does not appear as fierce as its size might suggest. Instead, it looks almost sad. However, the size of its fists and the shuddering of the ground beneath its massive feet shakes out any cockiness you might have developed. You harbor no illusions. This thing is deadly.

Olensari Mihaman:

Formed entirely of bleached bones, the olensari mihmanan is obviously no natural beast. Its joints seem oddly fused, as though the creature was carved rather than assembled. One clawed arm hangs loosely by its side while the other juts up and back, set much like the business end of a stout catapult. A jagged fragment of broken bone rests in this skyward hand, ready to be propelled forward in the blinking of an eye.

At the 'con Dart said he might consider all skeletal creatures to be constructs, of which there are a great number already. He also implied there might be mechanical creatures (more constructs) near or in the gnome village.

Golems of all sorts I believe should be considered constructs, since they're generally assumed to be animated by the will of some mage. Destroying the golem need not hurt the mage. (We have bone golems, for one, which are already bony I guess, but hey.)

I personally feel Empaths should be able to hunt plant creatures as well, since we can forage without shocking ourselves.

I don't know enough about creatures from other planes to know whether or not they'd be classed as constructs, or are different enough from the creatures that inhabit the plane of abiding that an Empath could attack them without shock.

Re: So Hard for it Honey 10/11/2008 10:44 PM CDT
>>The premise is OFFENSIVE capabilities for the purpose of killing critters and making money,

If I'm simply destroying things that are not alive I shouldn't suffer shock. That's all. There is no "killing creatures" in this scenario. Destroying constructs =/= killing creatures

As for the other two, manipulate and the avengers are already in place, I just wish they were skill based and not stat based. It seems like magic in general is moving in a more skill-based direction. Stats have their place, but they shouldn't be the only thing contested. And manipulate has been broken for so long that it's starting to feel sort of shameful.

What do we want? TO MAKE MONEY IN COMBAT AT LEVEL.
When do we want it? SOON.

Re: So Hard for it Honey 10/11/2008 10:47 PM CDT
>>Out of curiosity, which creatures are you defining as constructs?

Boggles, crags, rock guardians (pretty much that's all that's found in the current bestiary). I assume there are/will be/can be more golems than just the Gargantuan Bone Golems, and such that are made out of inorganic materials probably aren't undead. Gargoyles, maybe, though they appear to be too intelligent.

DISCLAIMER: THIS POSTER IS NOT A MEMBER OF STAFF AND HIS INFORMATION IS/MIGHT BE WRONG.
Re: So Hard for it Honey 10/11/2008 10:50 PM CDT
<<Anyone have any innovative money-making schemes?

I hear shadowstep + backstab works pretty well. COME BACK TO US LORZ FORGET ABOUT THIS EMPATH NONSENSE!
Re: So Hard for it Honey 10/11/2008 10:58 PM CDT
>>I hear shadowstep + backstab works pretty well. COME BACK TO US LORZ FORGET ABOUT THIS EMPATH NONSENSE!

My heart just isn't in it anymore. Maybe I just have a thing for lost causes. Zeyurn's got the Thief guild sitting pretty these days.

Re: So Hard for it Honey 10/12/2008 12:37 AM CDT
Another way to make money is to work the archaeology sites. The mortar, rose ring, barrette, weasel and pin are all pawnable. Can make some decent money that way.
Re: So Hard for it Honey 10/12/2008 12:49 AM CDT
>Zeyurn's got the Thief guild sitting pretty these days.<

Awww :)

-Z
Re: So Hard for it Honey 10/12/2008 02:02 AM CDT
I like you on this side, personally.

-Zae
Re: So Hard for it Honey 10/30/2008 09:49 AM CDT
>>In the meantime I will continue to lobby for a way for Empaths to hunt effectively, it sort of dismays me that Empaths who focus mostly on combat have to go to such lengths to make ends meet.

Good luck with that, I gave up after 6 years of hoping and rerolled.
Re: So Hard for it Honey 10/30/2008 04:17 PM CDT
>>Good luck with that, I gave up after 6 years of hoping and rerolled.

I have some other characters lined up for when/if I become too exasperated to play my Empath anymore. I hear the Cleric guild is trendy these days.