Prev_page Previous 1
What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/05/2006 09:57 PM CDT
It's been many years since I actively played DR. The last time I played, 3-4 zircon-class gems was considered a pretty good tip. From what I'm reading, it's now considered insulting. =P

So what is a good tip? I want numbers. What amount will make you feel good about helping me again, but won't cause you to wonder if I'm asking you to meet me in my inn room later in a roundabout manner?

I realize that there are many factors affecting this, but I'm looking for a good baseline of some sort.
Re: What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/05/2006 10:37 PM CDT
Give until it hurts.

And then add one more large jasper.

- Illcram The Evil Empath
Re: What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/05/2006 10:40 PM CDT
Personally I think that depends on the character, the wounds, and the ability.

If I see your wearing perfect firecat leathers, polo cloak, and the skin of a GM I would be insulted by a topaz or two. Something more along the line of 4-5 gold and I would be very happy. I would be content with 1-2. If you are severly hurt, dying, and/or diseased and I save your life at least 3-5 gold would keep me content.

If your wearing obviously tanned leathers and have a couple scratches a thank you is fine, but a silver or two is appreciated.

If your severly hurt and have "decent" equipment or lots of fluff then at least a gold or two would be considered polite.

If your a novice with several older clerics several silver would be appropriate, or a couple 1-1.5 silver gems.

If your a true novice a thank you would suffice. I healed a true novice today (or at least a very good actor) several times with merely a thank you and I had no qualms with this. I say true novice because he's been playing for a week and still level 1. Didn't know what mech lore was or what good first aid would do a non-empath/cleric. It was rather refreshing if completly off topic.

My 2 coppers.

Ps. if you ever give more than a plat I will accept it and be very happy for the rest of the day.
Re: What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/06/2006 06:31 AM CDT
<<If I see your wearing perfect firecat leathers, polo cloak, and the skin of a GM I would be insulted by a topaz or two.>>

This makes very little sense. Put simply, the outfit of a character does not necessarily imply the wealth of the character.

<<Something more along the line of 4-5 gold and I would be very happy. I would be content with 1-2. If you are severly hurt, dying, and/or diseased and I save your life at least 3-5 gold would keep me content.>>

It's odd now that Empaths seem to want more money from healing that many characters make hunting. Why might that be?

Drongol's Player

PC also stands for "Paying Customer."
Re: What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/06/2006 07:17 AM CDT
I take in account the general area I'm hunting in and a guess at how experienced (ie what you're actually hunting in the area) you are as well as how wounded you were. If you're pulling in pouches of gems, I expect more than a single small diopside. However, I understand if you're hunting goblins and 1 jasper is a fortune. I don't go hard by this, I weigh more on how wounded you are. If you're bleeding all over the place, I expect some appreciation for the fact I'm risking my life to heal you. If you just have scratches, a couple gems makes me happy.

I don't know 3-4 zircon sounds good for most places.

>app zirc
You are confident that the green zircon might weigh a few stones.
You are certain that the green zircon is worth exactly 268 lirums.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

>app zirc
You are confident that the green zircon weighs about 1 stone.
You are certain that the green zircon is worth exactly 314 lirums.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

Those are small zircons and I know there are better ones. 3-4 of those would be around a gold. If you just have scratches and no bleeding, that's pretty decent. If you're really concerned about it, go to the gem seller and sell individually those gems you're most likely to give an empath. If you were the empath who healed you, would you be satisfied with that if it's possibly your only income for the day? If you're still concerned about it...empaths are people too, ask them, most will tell you if the tip you gave them is satisfactory or not. Chances are if you give any gem at all, it won't be the most insulting tip an empath has ever gotten. You'd be amazed the junk you get.

~ Player of Lyathe
Re: What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/06/2006 07:37 AM CDT
>>This makes very little sense. Put simply, the outfit of a character does not necessarily imply the wealth of the character.

In a way it does. Most people who roll up new characters will outfit them with alot of high end items because they can afford to and bring in plats per hunting trip. They way I look at it, if someone is going to outfit a new character to look like they've got the extra plats and they're still hunting in goblins then maybe they should also outfit them with the means to properly tip an empath. Pre-made gem pouches that appraise at around 5 gold. A few extra plat.

While I myself am not a "true" novice, my character was a novice when I came back. I had friends who offered to outfit me and get me all that nice stuff. I declined because of this very reason. While my friends might give me fluffy goodness I wouldn't feel right asking them to give me the means to tip an empath, so I choose to go with cheap Crossing gear until I had saved enough money to go buy some wolf clan leathers. Doing this I don't feel bad when all I have is a pouch full of gems from the lowest tier. I just pick one type of gem and give all of them to the empath. Of course after about 6 gems I usually have to argue with the empath to take the gems since I know they aren't worth alot.

Just my two cents on the subject. I'm not saying tip an empath everything you have, I would say tip about 50-60% of what you bring back from a hunting trip. Some will argue against this, either they haven't played an empath as their main character for awhile or they're just greedy. While it may take an empath less than 5 minutes to brink you back from the brink of death and heal all your bleeders it will take them at least 20-40 minutes to completely heal up again. If you stop and think about it, they may take 5 minutes to heal you but they'll spend probably as much time as you spent hunting just to heal up from one person who might have tipped them. That is why it makes sense to me to tip at least 50% of the funds I bring back from hunting. Then again I've also played an empath as my main character and I know how frustrating the subject of tipping can be.

River

Curiousity killed the cat....but satisfaction brought him back.
Re: What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/06/2006 08:21 AM CDT
I go based on the NPC healer.

There's a few reasons, but I hate having long explanations. Long to short, I'm much faster than the NPC healer.

On average, if relatively wounded, the NPC healer will charge you between 1-2 gold. That's relatively wounded. If not so wounded, under 1 gold. If very wounded, you should kick it up to 3 gold. Anything over is very nice, but I would not expect that.

Your circle and what you are hunting should weigh on your mind though. I have experienced the extremes of this. I was tipped 15 plat by someone for being able to control the plague. I have been tipped 1 gem worth 200 from someone hunting in a 500-700 skill area (and a high level of coins/expensive gems get dropped in there).

My main thing is I don't heal to get tipped. I have other abilities that I can make money from if need be. So if a 110th circle character feels they can't part with more than 200 kronars, I scoff and move along. If I get tipped 15 plat, I blink, faint, run to the bank and deposit, run back and thank them, then move along.

Renegade Empath Raudhan just arrived.

A cutthroat gasps, "I can't get UP!"

You begin to lecture Reexa on the proper use of the brawling skill.
You cackle!
You strike a heroic pose.
Re: What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/06/2006 09:08 AM CDT
Personally, I try to give 10% of my hunting trip, unless I'm dying or close to it then I try to give 20-25% (coins, skins, boxes, and gems all toghether) so an average healing tip for me might be 35 coins, 5 skins, 3 boxes and 5 gems with hopefully one better than a small crystal. I've never had an empath unhappy with that and most of them try to turn down some of the stuff before I'm done.

Megan
Re: What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/06/2006 10:06 AM CDT
>3-4 zircon-class gems was considered a pretty good tip

That's a good tip, don't feel bad about that. If I got a gold and nothing more or less every time I healed someone, I'd be pretty happy. I don't really expect/want tips from novices-10th circle or corpses and I don't really want them for just healing a scratch. Just a thanks will do.

I love Aesry because services are worth more there. I'd much rather have someone come looking for me when I get struck down or a moon mage have a gate handy or a ranger drag me out of a sticky situation than tip me a few gems over there. The rubies and saphires are nice though.

>It's odd now that Empaths seem to want more money from healing that many characters make hunting. Why might that be?

Dunno, but one of my characters was pulling down 10-15 plat a day hunting Snow Goblins by 30something circle and would only need to be healed 2 or 3 times over that period. A 10-15% overhead is virtually unheard of in most businesses so 5 gold per tip isn't out of control at a fairly early level. The entire cost would be covered by one bundle of hides. My mage tries to tip 15-20% of his income which is considerably more.

~Purehand
Re: What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/06/2006 05:24 PM CDT
>>So what is a good tip? I want numbers.

If you want a number, 5000 is a pretty good one. It's how much you pay for a vault each month, and moreorless about what you pay for citizenship (this, I believe, depends on where and when you join, so it could be as much as double or more or close to half as much). If it's a POS, you might pay that each month for the smaller versions but for galleons you are paying at least a plat (12 gold if I recall?). It also happens to be a significantly smaller number than the cost and/or actual value of whatever weapon, piece of armor, or other useful item you "mistakenly" gave to the empath.

The best thing about that number is that it's still low enough that most non-empaths of any level are going to think it's reasonably low yet empaths are still able to get rich without doing so too quickly or having to be one of the select few.

J'Lo, no that other one
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/06/2006 05:49 PM CDT
> If you want a number, 5000 is a pretty good one.

As an empath, and as a fighter, I say wow to that amount. That's a bit much in my opinion. Heal 2 people and you make a plat? I don't think fighters my level can make a plat in 1 minute...and besides! My 50th fighter would go bankrupt paying 5 gold a heal...and I like to think I tip well when not playing the empath.

Renegade Empath Raudhan just arrived.

A cutthroat gasps, "I can't get UP!"

You begin to lecture Reexa on the proper use of the brawling skill.
You cackle!
You strike a heroic pose.
Re: What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/06/2006 06:06 PM CDT
<<As an empath, and as a fighter, I say wow to that amount. That's a bit much in my opinion. Heal 2 people and you make a plat? I don't think fighters my level can make a plat in 1 minute...and besides! My 50th fighter would go bankrupt paying 5 gold a heal...and I like to think I tip well when not playing the empath.>>

Considering WHEN I go to see an empath, I have no problems tipping between 2 and 5 gold. Especially when they are keeping me from having to give it to a cleric for a rezz

Gahlron Dragon'Claws
Ranger
~Mors ante dedecum
Nihil ante coffeum~
Re: What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/06/2006 07:42 PM CDT
If you aren't making that much, then why not find an empath and offer to split what you make if they go with you and keep you alive.
Re: What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/07/2006 02:41 PM CDT
I play a 45th circle empath. I like skins and boxes I learn disarming off of, which is rock troll at the bare minimum, I really don't even take tips from anyone who struggles with less.

A pretty good rule of thumb I follow on the fairly rare times I take my non-empaths to visit an empath (Because I spend all my time on my empath) is 1 silver per circle of the tipper. This is assuming you've got a lot of wounds, I don't expect that much just for some nerve wounds.

My personal rule is no tips from the obviously young or those who are obviously poor (or clueless, a good sign of newbieness), and I don't take tips from fellow clerics or empaths, or single spot things like nerve wounds or replacing a severed hand, or poison, disease, vitality, just one cast gets that stuff

I also look at you at least once, always, if to judge wounds if nothing else, if you tip badly for what you're obviously capable of giving (Some mid-high circle rangers have been noteable culprits before in this group, one I healed twice in about an hour and didn't get so much as a thank you, with the Ranger title, another one two days ago with the Sniper title gave me a medium diopside worth 319 kronar, you CAN'T tell me you can't at least come up with a decent tip and have me believe it, go spend 15 minutes if you have to, that's about how long it takes for me to completely heal myself with my script.)

Again, I prefer boxes and skins, no one can give me enough of those. 10 rock troll/gargoyle boxes is about 1.5-6 gold, and makes me happier than just about anything else.

<<It's odd now that Empaths seem to want more money from healing that many characters make hunting. Why might that be?>>

Because a Polo cloak is what, 1-2k plat, perfect firecat leathers 200 plat? If you're able to support a n income to buy that level of things, a plat or two isn't going to break your bank for a tip.

<<empaths are people too, ask them, most will tell you if the tip you gave them is satisfactory or not. Chances are if you give any gem at all, it won't be the most insulting tip an empath has ever gotten. You'd be amazed the junk you get.>>

<<While it may take an empath less than 5 minutes to brink you back from the brink of death and heal all your bleeders it will take them at least 20-40 minutes to completely heal up again.>>

Amen to these two posts.
Re: What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/07/2006 03:27 PM CDT
>>So what is a good tip? I want numbers. What amount will make you feel good about helping me again, but won't cause you to wonder if I'm asking you to meet me in my inn room later in a roundabout manner?

Show us the look of your character and we'll be able to give you a more specific number. As most people have posted, it depends on how rich you look.

For my empath, anything a plat or over will get you on the "instaheal" list. Stiffing will get you on the "never heal" list, and tipping 1-3 crappy gems (under a silver app) will get you on the "don't heal unless I'm feeling particularly generous" list. So a tip anywhere from about 5 silver to 1 plat is acceptable in the sense that it won't make you stand out. If you want people to "feel good" about helping you, though, I suggest a couple gold or more, assuming you're like 25th circle or higher.

Want to feel pretty, oh so pretty?
http://home.earthlink.net/~empathicshifting/
Simply enchanting dahling!
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1o6qk/circleoftheserpent/id5.html
Re: What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/07/2006 03:38 PM CDT
Honestly, the best tip in my case is intelligent and informed conversation while I'm healing you, seconded by a healthy respect for our profession which extends to not going out and getting your limbs lopped off for inadequate reason.

Gems and coin I can get more quickly and with less effort. When I heal folk, I want to hear about how they got the wounds, and I try to get some backstory on their characters to flesh out my own gameplay experience.
Re: What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/07/2006 06:36 PM CDT
>>I also look at you at least once, always, if to judge wounds if nothing else, if you tip badly for what you're obviously capable of giving (Some mid-high circle rangers have been noteable culprits before in this group, one I healed twice in about an hour and didn't get so much as a thank you, with the Ranger title, another one two days ago with the Sniper title gave me a medium diopside worth 319 kronar, you CAN'T tell me you can't at least come up with a decent tip and have me believe it, go spend 15 minutes if you have to, that's about how long it takes for me to completely heal myself with my script.)

I usually bring back about a gold, 5-7 boxes and a few loose gems from my hunting trips. I'll end up dumping everything into my gem pouch and grab an extra one and add gems to it until it reaches an appraisal vaule of at least 3 gold. My gem pouch has yet to run empty and I hunt grendels. I've never done the math to see exactly how much money I bring in from a trip, I don't really care. I tip an empath what I feel is fair. I'm sure when I'm bringing plats back from my hunting trips I'll be tipping with plats.

>>Honestly, the best tip in my case is intelligent and informed conversation while I'm healing you, seconded by a healthy respect for our profession which extends to not going out and getting your limbs lopped off for inadequate reason.

I disagree slightly. If it's a player's desire to go spar and see who's bigger and badder that's their choice. My empath wouldn't heal people who sparred without up front payment, that was her choice. She never considered it disrespectul of the sparrers unless they expected a heal for free. If I ever choose to spar I'll be preparing myself to offer generous compensation to the empath willing to heal me and my fellow sparrers.

Also, hearing about those of you who prefer boxes/skins maybe the empaths should band together and post a list somewhere of preferred tips, i.e.; skins and what level of boxes they can learn from, what province they live in. I'm always hesitant to offer boxes or skins because so many empaths have told me they don't like those kind of tips. That's why I tend to put together a pouch full of "crap" gems that add up to a decent amount since those are the only gems I come across other than a tear shaped diamond, a star sapphire and a green sapphire. Those are literally the only 3 gems I've come across yet other than diops, topazes, quartz and crystals. :)

I should put a disclaimer here, my post is not meant to offend any empath. I am not an empath hater. If I have offended anyone with this post I apologize, it is not meant to inflame, anger or upset anyone. This is my veiw on tipping and I will stand by it.

River

Curiousity killed the cat....but satisfaction brought him back.
Re: What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/07/2006 07:30 PM CDT
>>I'm always hesitant to offer boxes or skins because so many empaths have told me they don't like those kind of tips.

So ask. In my experience most empaths will be more than willing to tell you what kinds of tips they prefer.

Want to feel pretty, oh so pretty?
http://home.earthlink.net/~empathicshifting/
Simply enchanting, dahling!
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1o6qk/circleoftheserpent/id5.html
Re: What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/07/2006 08:44 PM CDT
>>I'm always hesitant to offer boxes or skins because so many empaths have told me they don't like those kind of tips.

Just goes to show how different everyone's experiences can be. By far most empaths I know love getting boxes and slightly less so skins.

My empath is a box freak and will always accept them gladly. If he can open them himself, perfect, and if not, they'll by necessity contain enough booty to make decent tips on their own. He doesn't like handling skins at all however, since it's really just a piece of a corpse that he can't heal.
Re: What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/07/2006 10:11 PM CDT
I would honestly just like to be ABLE to pay empaths. It bothers me so much that the majority refuse tips from me that I tend to go to Srela instead just to be able to pay for what I get.

Drex
---
Gyfford says, "Maulem your wife is giving me a headache."
Maulem says, "Well, at least I'm not th' only one she does that to then."
[Lystid] "do you know the two most important words a married man knows?"
[Maulem] "Itwasn'tme, IsweartoKuniyo?"
Re: What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/08/2006 12:23 AM CDT
<<Just goes to show how different everyone's experiences can be. By far most empaths I know love getting boxes and slightly less so skins.>>

My Cleric regularly asks Empaths whether they would prefer to be paid in boxes, skins, gems, or coin. Once they state a preference (if they say no preference, she offers gems), she gives them generally about 1200-1500 kronar worth. The amount she offers DOES vary a bit, depending on how beat up she is. If she's bleeding all over, it may be up to 2000, but if she's just got a few scuffings or minor nerve damage, it's likely to be around 500.

Empaths generally seem to prefer gems, although boxes are usually popular as well. Laril would almost ALWAYS say boxes, particularly if she thinks she can open them. Boxes are like happy fun surprises! You never know what'll be inside.

Anyway, tips amounting to one gold and upwards will get patients on Laril's "good tipper" highlight list. I've got an extra-special highlight color for the few people who have REALLY impressed her, and they'll get healed immediately from then on. Woodcubb was on that list (and can I nominate him for Best Tipper Ever?), and Laril became friends with her first husband when he gave her a plat for some minor healing. A plat? She'll love you forever! :)

On the other side of things, Empaths have generally seemed pleased with the Cleric's payment, and some younger ones have almost embarrassed her by being what she considers to be overly grateful and impressed. (Yes, she means to give you the entire gem pouch. Really.) She finds it dismaying that what she thinks is adequate repayment seems to be high in comparison to the average tip, as she is an extremely firm advocate of properly offering payment for services rendered. :)

~Laril and some Cleric who charges up front.
Re: What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/08/2006 07:11 AM CDT
I was staying out of it, but I'm tired so what the heck. I generally look at about a gold as a decent tip unless I'm around an area like Crossing and the hunter looks small, at that time I'll acccept whatever they offer and don't take it personally if they can't afford to do anything. The only time small tips really bothered me is in a place like Ratha, where the smallest critters are sand sprites and you can easily come out of an hour of hunting with 2 plat or more. When you know how much the hunters are making in there and they tip you one small gem like a diopside or a crystal it makes you feel very underappreciated. That being said, Arwin tries to never accept tips from clerics, after all, they provide her with assistance as well, and she has never kept a "no-heal" list for bad tippers.

~Arwinia

It's mind over matter. I don't mind, because you don't matter.
Re: What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/08/2006 04:51 PM CDT
There is a simple formula: 15-30% of your take from hunting. It works for waitresses, it works for you. With this caveat: never leave less than a buck tip. So if you only hunted for a short time or didn't bother to pick up all your boxes, you should still tip your empath accordingly.

Even when I was only 21st circle, I could make at least 5 gold in one hunting trip in rock trolls through the coins, gems and boxes dropped. I'd tip at least 1 gold to the empath who healed me when I needed healing (I didnt always).

If you cannot afford to tip 1 gold or more after being healed, and you are not just a newbie character, chances are you are not picking up your goods or hunting to level (including your skinning level).

Anyhow, that's the formula. And as there are some empaths who will refuse your tip, you can save it so you are even more able to tip the next empath who comes along.

It's really not that hard.

Lisette

Re: What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/08/2006 04:58 PM CDT
<<If you cannot afford to tip 1 gold or more after being healed, and you are not just a newbie character, chances are you are not picking up your goods or hunting to level (including your skinning level).>>

Hon, I agree to an extent, but I'd also like to ask if you'd like to backtrain Drongol's skinning for me. If everything was primary, I'd almost be able to tolerate it, but backtraining a tertiary skill so I can tip Empaths will be excruciatingly dull.

Drongol's Player

Re: What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/08/2006 05:10 PM CDT
>>Hon, I agree to an extent, but I'd also like to ask if you'd like to backtrain Drongol's skinning for me. If everything was primary, I'd almost be able to tolerate it, but backtraining a tertiary skill so I can tip Empaths will be excruciatingly dull.

Other folks shouldn't have to suffer by not being paid for a service they provide for you due to your poor training.

~Arwinia

Re: What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/08/2006 05:12 PM CDT
<<Other folks shouldn't have to suffer by not being paid for a service they provide for you due to your poor training.>>

If an Empath asked for payment for healing, that would be one thing. Payment is (typically) on a set schedule.

Instead, there is a tipping system set in place wherein the customer chooses how to reimburse the Empath. However, expecting a tip is rude.

Drongol's Player

Re: What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/08/2006 05:16 PM CDT
>>However, expecting a tip is rude.

Yes, I can see your logic on that. For young empaths the only way they can make coin is by tips and depending on their skill it may take them a half an hour to an hour to heal up after healing you. That's up to an hour where they can't heal someone who actually thinks their time is worth something. HOW DARE THEY EXPECT TO GET PAID FOR THAT?!

~Arwinia

Re: What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/08/2006 05:17 PM CDT
Not offering a tip is rude. I'm sure the waitstaff at the restaurants I frequent "expect" a tip without having to ask for it. And I tip them well if they do their job well. It's not that complex, really.

~Dulcinia

We don't rent pigs!
Re: What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/08/2006 05:23 PM CDT
<<Not offering a tip is rude.>>

Agreed.

<<For young empaths the only way they can make coin is by tips and depending on their skill it may take them a half an hour to an hour to heal up after healing you.>>

And, as we all know, every Empath that heals "you" is a young Empath who can only make money from healing, takes forty-five minutes to heal up from each person she (always a she, too) heals, and would NEVER even think of leaving those invisible internals. There are no Empaths out there who broke the bank Shifting people, or buying and selling items, or any other way.

Drongol's Player

Re: What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/08/2006 05:27 PM CDT
Since what is adequate will vary based on individual to individual seems to be a broad response, my thoughts on this are also broad, in kind. I believe it's based on intent of how you want your character to be portrayed. For instance, lets say I don't want my character to be seen in a positive light with a certain empath. Than I will not tip her at all regularly or tip him/her something very demeaning. However, lets say I want my character to be seen in a positive light with a certain empath. Well, I will try to tip him/her a lot of gems until he/she feels content or tip him/her a prize of some sort. I've found out that tipping someone with a prize is often better because it is more memorable from what is usually given (instead of coins/gems/boxes/skins). In the end, the objective is to show appreciation for that type of character because the empath has helped him live (something that is sometimes taken for granted). Even by mentioning thank you for the help is sometimes a very good tip when working towards an understanding of appreciation toward those who have helped your character.

So to sum up, what is an adequate tip? Well, that depends on what type of character you are trying to portray.

- Simon
Re: What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/08/2006 06:27 PM CDT
>>And, as we all know, every Empath that heals "you" is a young Empath who can only make money from healing, takes forty-five minutes to heal up from each person she (always a she, too) heals, and would NEVER even think of leaving those invisible internals. There are no Empaths out there who broke the bank Shifting people, or buying and selling items, or any other way.

Don't put words in my mouth. The one thing you apparently fail to realize is that a majority of the empaths sitting around in the empath guild doing nothing but healing are those young empaths. I didn't specify a gender. Considering you can't shift until 30th circle and not anything worth while until SIGNIFICANTLY later than that (when I got shift at 30th I had three whole basic haircolors to choose from YIPPEE) then yes, you are correct. Most of those empaths sitting in the guild did not break the bank shifting people. Hell, I've only made 5 plat shifting and I can do a decent amount of shifts. Why? Because at 30th circle I had a few different ways to make coin and most of the people that ask me for them are friends whom I would never charge since I have other ways to get by. You have proven to me once again, know nothing of what you speak sir. With that, I'm done with you. Tip if you want, or don't. That's your choice to make, just don't be surprised when you're remembered for your obvious lack of appreciation.

~Arwinia

Re: What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/08/2006 08:45 PM CDT
>>The only time small tips really bothered me is in a place like Ratha, where the smallest critters are sand sprites and you can easily come out of an hour of hunting with 2 plat or more.

The smallest critter on Ratha is the ship's rat. Granted, it's only like a 2- to 4-room hunting area (they can also appear on the street in that area) and they only appear 2 per hunter, they still are by far the smallest huntable critters on that island. If you still have to hunt them or in all seriousness are nowhere near attempting even one sandsprite much less all that will inevitably appear, they make for a quick and easy tip source.

J'Lo, no that other one
The Manipulation List -- http://symphaena.com/index.html
Re: What _is_ an adequate tip?/FA stuff 10/08/2006 08:59 PM CDT
No, really. Tips are superfluous; make my game experience better not by giving me gems or money, but by contributing to the roleplaying environment.

You do that, and I could care less about what's coming out of your gem pouch and going into mine.

< rant >

Also, as an aside, what is UP with people asking other folk to hurt them just so they can tend the wound and learn FA? Who're you trying to kid? Nobody in their right mind is going to make that kind of request IC; I am sick to death of witnessing it in one form or another, and I am especially sick of folk walking about with their guts hanging out and giggling like there's nothing wrong, then coming into the guild and whining like a baby when they get infected.

< /rant >
Re: What _is_ an adequate tip?/FA stuff 10/08/2006 09:35 PM CDT
>Also, as an aside, what is UP with people asking other folk to hurt them just so they can tend the wound and learn FA? Who're you trying to kid? Nobody in their right mind is going to make that kind of request IC; I am sick to death of witnessing it in one form or another, and I am especially sick of folk walking about with their guts hanging out and giggling like there's nothing wrong, then coming into the guild and whining like a baby when they get infected.

Until a way exists to train FA without tending wounds... get used to it.

Thrall of Dergati,
Heroiklim Zortal

Take these chances
Place them in a box until a quieter time
Lights down, you up and die
Re: What _is_ an adequate tip?/FA stuff 10/08/2006 09:49 PM CDT
<<Until a way exists to train FA without tending wounds... get used to it.>>

Leeches. It exists, tending wounds is just easier and more readily available.

~Chris
Re: What _is_ an adequate tip?/FA stuff 10/08/2006 09:52 PM CDT
>Leeches. It exists, tending wounds is just easier and more readily available.

Leeches are not a valid option for non-empaths.

Thrall of Dergati,
Heroiklim Zortal

Take these chances
Re: What _is_ an adequate tip?/FA stuff 10/08/2006 10:09 PM CDT
> Until a way exists to train FA without tending
> wounds... get used to it.

Classes.
Re: What _is_ an adequate tip?/FA stuff 10/08/2006 10:15 PM CDT
>Nobody in their right mind is going to make that kind of request IC

Given that Elanthia is a magical fantasy world where wounds are cured with a snap of the fingers, death is a minor, temporary inconvenience, and people constantly train in combat arts and carry multiple weapons wherever they go, then no, I don't think it can be dismissed out of hand as OOC.

Having another player intentionally wound you so you can have a bleeder is, however, expressly against policy.
Re: What _is_ an adequate tip? 10/08/2006 10:21 PM CDT
>>The smallest critter on Ratha is the ship's rat.

I fail to call a gen of one rat a hunting area, sorry. Can always rely on you to split hairs though, once again you deliver.

~Arwinia

Re: What _is_ an adequate tip?/FA stuff 10/08/2006 10:21 PM CDT
>Classes.

Valid, if impractical, suggestion.

Thrall of Dergati,
Heroiklim Zortal

Take these chances
Prev_page Previous 1