Prev_page Previous 1 3
Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/02/2005 02:29 PM CST
I got my first negative reaction for my response to being offered a crystal, diopside, or topaz today.

For anyone that doesn't know, what I've been telling these people is, "If that is all you are able to offer for healing, you need the coin more than I do." That's it. Perhaps not always verbatim, but the same meaning is conveyed; That is, if it's all you have (as for novices) I want you to keep it, and if you're just being cheap I'll be glad to tell you where to shove it.

Here's a hint, to all you non-Empaths reading: if you immediately take this as an insult and get offended or snotty, it says a lot about what is wrong with you and your offer. Maybe you should rethink your standards for what is and is not acceptable. Or maybe next time you should just nod politely, say thank you, and shut the hell up.

And no, I don't care that you were going to give me a 'pile' of them. They're junk. Accept it.

Rev. Reene, player of a few

Reene: hey you should play this with me
Zairius: last time I fell for that line
Zairius: I ended up in DR
Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/02/2005 02:58 PM CST
<< And no, I don't care that you were going to give me a 'pile' of them. They're junk. Accept it.

Wow. Just...wow.

Arcelebor

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
PSA - Sakhara's definition of RP (among other things) is erroneous
"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/02/2005 03:07 PM CST
<<Wow. Just...wow.>>

Ditto. Someone needs to take their afternoon nap.

~Tykyra~

Gavyn spins around, frolicking like a beautiful pixie. Has he been in the samatak?
Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/02/2005 03:17 PM CST
I appreciate the responses. You're contributing so much by making snide, childish remarks. Yet somehow I'm unsurprised.

Here's a little more background, then. He was wounded all over and bleeding. He was wearing expensive fluff. He was pulling the gems out of a Corik's end prize gem case for crying out loud.

It's insulting that someone would think saying "well I was going to give you a pile of them' rectifies the situation as well. It was the icing on the cupcake, so to speak. I suppose taking jabs at how I expressed my irritation is a great way of skirting around the actual issue though. Good show.

Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/02/2005 03:22 PM CST
I've been around for years. I have a lot of nice things that have been given to me by friends and some I've saved to buy. I tend to make very little due to my profession and the fact that I don't circle a lot, or hunt high things.

I try to tip well when I can, but sometimes all I've got in the way of money is a full gem pouch or two of sand sprite loot - since thats all I can hunt.

But I don't suppose that matters right?

Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/02/2005 03:23 PM CST
Only thing I saw you post was a temper tantrum, much like a child would have. Thus the need for a nap.

~Tykyra~

Gavyn spins around, frolicking like a beautiful pixie. Has he been in the samatak?
Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/02/2005 03:27 PM CST
How's Shard been lately, Tykyra?

>> I try to tip well when I can, but sometimes all I've got in the way of money is a full gem pouch or two of sand sprite loot - since thats all I can hunt.

Sprites drop a lot more than topazes. But I suppose that's beside the point.

I doubt you would have reacted the same way this person did to what I said anyway. If I'm overestimating you though, by all means, set me straight.

Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/02/2005 03:30 PM CST
>give purehand blank check

Is that so hard?

~Purehand
Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/02/2005 03:33 PM CST
It's been just fine. You should come down for a visit.

~Tykyra~

Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/02/2005 03:34 PM CST
>>It's insulting that someone would think saying "well I was going to give you a pile of them' rectifies the situation as well. It was the icing on the cupcake, so to speak. I suppose taking jabs at how I expressed my irritation is a great way of skirting around the actual issue though. Good show.

While once could possibly take issue with having to accept each gem one by one, I see no real reason to complain about getting a 2 plat tip in the form of quartzes, crystals, and the like versus actual platinum coins. Keep it in the game and just call it roleplay or something. If you are complaining about the tip value, then what kind of gems you are given should be wholly irrelevent.

J'Lo, experienced empath player
Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/02/2005 03:39 PM CST
>I doubt you would have reacted the same way this person did to what I said anyway. If I'm overestimating you though, by all means, set me straight.

I don't know, though I suppose I could gut you with a spoon if you want. Or a Prydaen. Either way.

Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/02/2005 03:45 PM CST
...I'll take the spoon, thanks.

2 plat (or really any plat) is also rather optimistic. Gem pouches don't hold enough gems for it (topazes range from 5-8 bronze, usually), and I doubt he was going to hand over enough to fill a pouch one at a time anyway.

Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/02/2005 04:05 PM CST
Topaz's, heh. Circumstance dependant they can be both well-received, or well-received with "feh" undertones.

The best tips I get sometimes are the extra copper coins they got from their hunting trip.

Blah hands you 37 copper kronars.

Blah hands you 17 copper lirums.

Blah hands you 23 copper dokoras.

Yay! Thanks!

Nonetheless, I react the same to those who tip me lots, and those who tip me dust bunny's. I smile, beam, say thanks. shrug

I'll leave the rebuking to Mikiri, and thank her with smooches and hugs :P

---
-Clemency
---
"Put your head up to my heart, hear me live and follow suit, this will all be over soon, it's gonna hurt a little." -Emberghost
Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/02/2005 04:29 PM CST
Hey, at least they offered...instead of just walking off.

~Ahri
Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/02/2005 04:30 PM CST
<< If you are complaining about the tip value , then what kind of gems you are given should be wholly irrelevent.

That was my thought. I have started trying to prepare measured gem pouch tips but that's primarily a matter of convenience.

Arcelebor

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
PSA - Sakhara's definition of RP (among other things) is erroneous
"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/02/2005 05:52 PM CST
>>(topazes range from 5-8 bronze, usually),

You get a small clear topaz from inside your gem pouch.
>app topaz
You think it is likely that the clear topaz weighs about 1 stone.
You are certain that the clear topaz is worth exactly 112 kronars.

You get a small rock crystal from inside your gem pouch.
>app crys
You wonder if the rock crystal weighs about 1 stone.
You are certain that the rock crystal is worth exactly 122 kronars.

You get a small star diopside from inside your gem pouch.
>app diop
You are confident that the star diopside probably weighs a few stones.
You are certain that the star diopside is worth exactly 86 kronars.
Roundtime: 8 seconds.

Okay, so yeah, the diopsides are the cheap ones.
Personally, when I tip I try to give mediums or larger. If I'm short on gems from having unloaded them recently and haven't hunted much, I give smaller ones as available. More often than not I keep handing gemstones until the Empath refuses, although sometimes I'll push past that. YMMV, of course.

Killing you softly with his song,
- Stormsinger Shavay

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"
- Arthur O'Shaughnessy

http://www.mistletoebeltbuckle.com
Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/02/2005 07:26 PM CST
I generally fill up a gem pouch if I can, but my hunter is still in a low area so that gem pouch is generally full of diopsides and crystals anyway. However, my hunter doesn't really keep much in the way of other treasures, so tends to either give those or put them on the donation shelf (things like collector cards, runestones, and the other random things that pop into the treasure system).

But I don't hand off one gem at a time...they get the whole pouch.

GM Reexa

Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/02/2005 09:50 PM CST
I've had customers give me the whole pouch before. I was jaw-dropped...or is it drop-jawed? Eh.

I've also been given a 10 plat tip from a really good fella. In return, I missed his wedding, some friend I am, eh?

I know someone who got 40 plat as a tip....and someone else who got 175 plat as a tip...a single tip. So crazy.

How much appraisal do I need before I start getting weights on stuff?

---
-Clemency
---
"Put your head up to my heart, hear me live and follow suit, this will all be over soon, it's gonna hurt a little." -Emberghost
Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/02/2005 10:38 PM CST
One of my characters is fairly low-level, but nevertheless reasonably well-dressed. She makes enough money to tip Empaths, pay her vault fees, repair her armor, and occasionally buy herbs or other items.

So when she tips Empaths, she generally tips a good portion of the gems she gained from hunting, and these are usually topazes, diopsides, and crystals. The total she gives Empaths is generally ~1 gold (depending on how wounded she is), and sometimes she remembers to bundle them in a gem pouch, but sometimes she doesn't.

Are there any other Empaths who would seriously find that to be a problem?

It seems silly to me to discriminate by size of gem. Laril's run into some Novices who were ADAMANT about wanting to tip her something small, because it made them feel better to repay her for the service. On the other hand, she's met higher circle players who want to build up a good gem pouch, and so prefer to give her 2 gold or so in the form of smaller gems, which is also fine.

The only tips Laril outright refuses are the pocket-copper tips, and she gives the same reason: If that's all you can afford, you need it more than she does.

~Laril
Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/02/2005 11:28 PM CST
heeh.. I actually received my worst tip ever.. today. West Crossing gob box, disarmed and popped, had 1 copper in it. It was a young player, and Im hoping that they were unaware of what the contents were.

Got Body Parts?
Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/03/2005 12:18 AM CST
<<heeh.. I actually received my worst tip ever.. today. West Crossing gob box, disarmed and popped, had 1 copper in it. It was a young player, and Im hoping that they were unaware of what the contents were.>>

It could've been worse. That copper could have been a puce dress.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

"That is why I have chosen DR and stayed with it for 2-6 years. Time is confusing to me." -Aiwix
Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/03/2005 02:47 AM CST
Puce dress is only worse in some people's eyes :O

Herbs are great tips, I love herbs. Herbs herbs herbs.

---
-Clemency
---
Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/03/2005 02:49 AM CST
Im usually happy with two or more gems. One gem is standard, and seems required. Two gems, means they think the healing was worth typing at least 8 words. Thats a lot of words. 8 words = respect.

-Player of Davidovf
Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/03/2005 03:48 AM CST
"8 words = respect" -Davidovf

So quoteable! :)

---
-Clemency
---
Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/03/2005 09:11 AM CST
I like how Reexa put it...
To accept a tip of gems one at a time has the potential to be very insulting. if they end up giving you one and leaving, you don't get the chance to tell them off. Not to mention, it's a pain to scroll accept, put gem in gem pouch 10 or 15 times.
The elation my character feels when he sees someone yank out a gem pouch or gets that message for filling a gem pouch is uncomparable... even if when I get it, it only has 2 topaz in it. Were Reexa not an Empath GM to begin with, I'd probably commend her for handing out gem pouches (which are free remember) instead of individual gems.
Think of it like opening a christmas present, you don't know what you're getting until you open it, so it's exciting. I'd say it's even more exciting than seeing someone offer you an insanely large tip.
That is my rant on the subject

Souv

You sense (N, S) from your current position:
A relatively healthy presence nearby.
Roundtime: 6 seconds
Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/03/2005 02:37 PM CST
>> To accept a tip of gems one at a time has the potential to be very insulting. if they end up giving you one and leaving, you don't get the chance to tell them off. Not to mention, it's a pain to scroll accept, put gem in gem pouch 10 or 15 times.

This is the main problem with accepting cheap gems in the dim hope that the person plans on either handing you a LOT of them (which is still a pain to put away and either donate or carry around until they're sold) or handing you gems worth more after that. Besides, is it really that much of a problem to run to the gem seller and get a pouch for your gems? If it is, well, don't come to me for healing. I'm going out of my way to heal you, you can go a little out of your way for your tip. That's how I see it.

If they're in a pouch, I'll accept them and I won't say anything. I'll probably put the contents of the pouch on the shelf for others, but I'll accept. One at a time though? No. And someone who tries to rub my face in my loss of a 'pile' of topazes because I declined for personal reasons is just a huge ass in my book. Like I said in my first post, nod politely and shut up about it. They just made themselves look worse.

On the bright side, at least I had the backing of the other Empaths in the guild. That hasn't happened in a long time.

Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/03/2005 05:49 PM CST
laugh

poor reene :o

---
-Clemency
---
Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/06/2005 01:22 PM CST
When playing on other chars than my empath, I usually tip 1 gold. Regardless if I've got one little scratch or many. Though if I was bleeding horribly I'd up the ammount.
I have been guilty of giving many small gems...though I think I'll use that gem pouch approach from now on.

My characters don't hunt anything past beisswurms...and I rarely have more than 10 plat at a time...if that. By tipping a gold...I usually spend more on the empath than what I make on the hunting trip. Which makes me wonder why I do it in the first place...hmm...
Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/06/2005 05:46 PM CST
I am totally content when I get a gold for healing. It's right about where I think our services should be priced.

~Purehand
Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/06/2005 05:49 PM CST
Concur with Purehand.

Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/06/2005 06:09 PM CST
Yea, 1 gold is about right. I mean...granted I'm not healing a rogue gate or teleport victim.

I figure that we should get at least 1/4 or 1/2 what NPC empaths charge. Not only do we heal everything, but we do it a lot faster too. And I know NPC empaths charge a lot more than 1 gold...

---
-Clemency
---
Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/06/2005 07:31 PM CST
...Wow. When I go to a PC empath I usually tip at least 3-4 gold. I know others that tip at least a plat.

Marksman Ahmir Nam'al

"That is why I have chosen DR and stayed with it for 2-6 years. Time is confusing to me." -Aiwix
Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/06/2005 07:34 PM CST
Excellent for them. They'll get better service.

Just saying as a minimum (and excluding novice hunters) one gold is a pretty good tip in general.

Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/06/2005 08:14 PM CST
Plat tippers get their own highlight color.

~Purehand
Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/06/2005 08:24 PM CST
>Plat tippers get their own highlight color..

Ditto. Goes for the ones who tip envelopes, master/GM lockpicks, shop only herbs and other good stuff, too. They don't come off the list if they are tipless a few times either. I'll go way off the beaten path to get to those folks if need be.

People who I perceive as having been kind or generous with Xochi growing up through the years, pretty much stay in my "super special" color.

~~~
..player of Xochi
Sometimes you have to get mad-dog mean... - The Outlaw Josie Wales
Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/06/2005 09:01 PM CST
>>Yea, 1 gold is about right.

I think I'd prefer a scale based on number or type of wounds. For instance, maybe taking an arm/leg/hand/tail would have a base cost of 5 bronze (that's, what, roughly a crystal, quartz, or diopside?) to 1 silver. Taking a useless stump might provide a multiplier of, say, x8, for a grand total of 4 silver to 8 silver; taking an insignificant wound might have a multiplier of %50 for a grand total of 25 copper to 5 bronze.

Scar versus wound, internal versus external, that doesn't really mean much except to novices between 1st and 5th circles.

Numbers would have to be hashed out more specificly, but I'd find it preferable to letting our patients just guess where the baseline would be.

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/06/2005 09:48 PM CST
I think 1 gold is appropriate for a normal "just got back from hunting and now I'm pretty beat up" set of wounds. Cuts and bruises on lots of body parts, but nothing lethal and no crazy amounts of bleeders. Of course this would scale on what the person is hunting - if you don't make 1 gold in a trip, you can hardly be expected to pay that much.
Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/07/2005 01:30 AM CST
I thought it would be humorous to attribute a quantitative value to each wound's quality. You could touch someone, sort it out via a script which would show that person's injuries in copper kronar value. Then see whether or not their tip made the whole ordeal worth it.

But there's more useful things to do with coding :p

---
-Clemency
---
Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/07/2005 01:53 AM CST
That would indeed be spiffy. Someone should write it, then send it to me.
Re: Topazes and crystals and diopsides, oh my! 12/07/2005 08:55 AM CST
>I thought it would be humorous to attribute a quantitative value to each wound's quality. You could touch someone, sort it out via a script which would show that person's injuries in copper kronar value. Then see whether or not their tip made the whole ordeal worth it.

I know that was a planned feature for the Crutch. I think it even got to an alpha version, but since all development on it has stopped I guess that's a dead end.
Prev_page Previous 1 3