I'm curious... 07/04/2005 10:15 AM CDT
I know you folks get some tips, can charge for shifting, and then manipulate critters to kill each other I think although that last one seems to be pushing it from a RP perspective if you're looking for money. What other avenues do you have for earning money, besides the item resale market?

I don't like to see an empath upset, especially when I have the audacity to wear only greaves when I go hunting...that didn't work out by the way...I hate getting hit by my own limbs. I remembered my armor was in the pack after I was breathing again.

Calissa
Re: I'm curious... 07/04/2005 10:28 AM CDT
At this point that is pretty much it. Though some empaths have tried/are trying things like forging and leatherworking, but both take much effort and our stuff will never be the quality of the fighting guilds'. There is always the option to get married to a fighting char too.... Can carve staffs if you like going slow.

~Player of Lyathe
Re: I'm curious... 07/04/2005 11:05 AM CDT
>>At this point that is pretty much it. Though some empaths have tried/are trying things like forging and leatherworking, but both take much effort and our stuff will never be the quality of the fighting guilds'. There is always the option to get married to a fighting char too.... Can carve staffs if you like going slow.

~Player of Lyathe<<

The problem with this is that we don't have many avenues to make money. We don't have direct access to the treasure system. We rely on other people to give us coin. Like Lyathe said, We can forge, work leather, and make other things, but the system is designed so that only one guild will excel, and the players are oriented in that they only want the best, which you will never see an empath make. If you have a sugah daddy/momma you can get money from them, but not everyone has someone like that. If you want to argue that manipulate is direct access to the treasure system, I invite you to go out and try it some time. I'll give you a hint... you are limited by the concentration pool, a creature initially takes about 20 concentration points on average to force friendly, they wander off half the time, and when they do attack another creature, often don't have the offensive skills to kill it without help. On my average, I can kill approximately one creature for every 5 minutes spent hunting. A far cry from what a fighting guild can make. Shifting is simply not in demand anymore and item resale isn't a feasible source of income unless you somehow had money to buy stuff in demand to begin with.

Souv

You sense (N, S) from your current position:
A relatively healthy presence nearby.
Roundtime: 6 seconds
Re: I'm curious... 07/04/2005 11:40 AM CDT
The system could track how much you heal for, say, 10 minutes after the fact, and give you an option to tell them the 'suggested value' of your services, which would be invisible to you, visible to your patient (Such as "patient Suggest Mrrar"

Then they'd have the opportunity to give you as much as they deem, and wouldn't force novices to empty their pockets.

Now how I remember you
How I would push my fingers through
Your mouth to make those muscles move
That made your voice so smooth and sweet
Re: I'm curious... 07/04/2005 12:36 PM CDT
Or make the infirmary and the main room in the Crossing guild act like the NPC's where when they heal you you auto-magically get billed.

Granted I hope with the mech split and new lore systems there is a mechanism in place for someone to sell their finished products which would be a great boon to empaths.

'Slimy Yet Satisfying' - Miko Mido

Supreme Bunny Overlord Zairius
Re: I'm curious... 07/04/2005 01:05 PM CDT
>>I know you folks get some tips, can charge for shifting, and then manipulate critters to kill each other I think although that last one seems to be pushing it from a RP perspective if you're looking for money. What other avenues do you have for earning money, besides the item resale market?

Scavenging, and while we technically do not get to participate in the money-making aspect (a manipulated critter almost always goes after a PC first), group-hunting. That's it.

Scavenging is somewhat to the tiniest degree limited by what sort and quantity of critters we can stand against. Symphaena's got the defenses to stand against a few unarmed goblins, but her offensive power is such that she can turn away rock trolls, beisswurms, and a whole host of critters she has even less reason to ever go up against. Getting trapped by these critters means certain if not instant death, so that makes the already unguaranteed treasure potential completely untouchable (unless we go to extreme lengths like PEER, rush in and grab an item or two, rush back out, repeat until everything is collected).

Group-hunting just sucks overall, but it's doable. The largest limiting factor in my opinion is that group members aren't factored into the individual systems like taking over someone else's kills (ie, partner kills and moves on to hack down the next critter, you get to play with the dead bodies by collecting skins and loot).

J'Lo, no that other one
Re: I'm curious... 07/04/2005 01:21 PM CDT
>Scavenging is somewhat to the tiniest degree limited by what sort and quantity of critters we can stand against. Symphaena's got the defenses to stand against a few unarmed goblins, but her offensive power is such that she can turn away rock trolls, beisswurms, and a whole host of critters she has even less reason to ever go up against J'lo

Picking which critters to manipulate is key if you are after treasure. I'm not going to sit and do trolls who take forever to move, or beisswurms that drop no treasure .. but if you are doing unarmed goblins, you could be doing shaman or other critters that do drop treasure and or boxes. But, you are right, it's much easier to do it alone than have have anyone else with you. Even rock trolls take too darn long. When manipulate first came out we were on Aesry, and pitting one critter, Snowbeast against a frostie or two frosties against each other is really the ideal situation.

Manipulate really is two phase in my mind, the first is for those who use it to learn empathy and safe passage, the other is to be able to navigate an area where you might have 2-3 on you, working combat skills and manipulating the others that might enter.

Either way, it gives access to a tiny tiny corner of the treasure system. Very tiny. Minuscule.

Xochi