Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page
Re: Ability to earn money outside of tips. 07/06/2005 10:37 PM CDT
>but as far as a solution that makes more sense than creation systems for a lore primary guild, I can't think of one.

I agree. And so many really nice ideas for just such a creation system have been exhaustively discussed here over the years. The ability to write anatomy charts, text books or other teaching aids, make special potions, feature-changing masks, etc. It would be nice if at least something for empaths to make came out BTHDOTU.
Re: Ability to earn money outside of tips. 07/08/2005 11:12 AM CDT
Me personally, I try to always tip at least a gold, if I have just a few scratches. Generally, I try to scale the tip to the amount of wounds taken, so that i'm not just paying an empath the same for taking a couple wounds compared to alot. When I get lots of wounds, I know it'll take that empath alot longer to heal themself of them, so I try to elevate the tip to around 4-5 gold perhaps.

I'm not the most generous tipper, by any means, but i'm not rich either... so at the rate I need healing I can't afford the larger tips as when i'm focused on hunting(the only times I need healing), I have to find an empath about 10-20 times a day.

Always my practice never to make an empath feel like their work wasn't supremely appreciated, though!

Troubadour Raziaar
Re: Ability to earn money outside of tips. 07/08/2005 05:46 PM CDT
I'm kind of stuck here.

I played an Empath as my primary character for years (and still do sometimes) so I know how irritating it is when someone walks in from a high-paying hunting area with very expensive fluff and barely tips a few silver.

My Moon Mage has nice things but she's not rich and never has been. Until just recently she had less than 2 plat in the bank on a regular basis (she has a whopping 11 right now, if anyone was wondering).

Which is probably why on my Moon Mage I have racked up quite a debt in every province by going to NPC Empaths instead of real ones whenever I can. It seems nicer than fishing through a gem pouch for something that isn't a topaz, diopside, or rock crystal to tip with, or debating whether or not giving an Empath 10-20% of my bank account for some scrapes or a bleeder is worth it.

"More colour-coded warnings? I give it a few more years tops until the mere sight of a rainbow fills me with abject terror and confusion."
Re: Ability to earn money outside of tips. 07/08/2005 06:11 PM CDT
That's true. Non-combat guilds are in a rock/hard place.

Now how I remember you
How I would push my fingers through
Your mouth to make those muscles move
That made your voice so smooth and sweet
Re: Ability to earn money outside of tips. 07/09/2005 03:05 AM CDT
>Empathy = knowing experience. Knowing experience in DR = knowing skills.

<<Knowing someones ranks does not equate to knowing their circle.>>

Correct.

That wasn't the point, though. The suggestion was that the less experienced get the discount as the more experienced have more potential for earning the coin to make the payment.

It's clear you don't like the idea, and your strongest (only) compelling argument is that it'd make you and perhaps others unhappy (which may be a fine reason, actually... I've long believed in the make the customer happy scenario).

The thing with that is, though, the entire healing/health system has been wonky for a while, never updated (aside from the scars after departing, which I think should be done away with, also) since the day of inception.

This isn't just about empaths. Nor is this about me. (I'm empath secondary now, with an empath mule that just happens to be higher circled than most).

It's about making a system that actually puts an equitable amount of risk or disadvantage in combat. All games are like that because that actually makes them more fun, it's more fulfilling to succeed where there is risk.

Changes to NPC healers can't be the only change for it to really work, but those changes are certainly long overdue.

As for people not appreciating empaths or tipping well, I blame other empaths for that...but not the empaths who don't take tips.... it's the empaths who say stupid crap like "I need empathy, bring me your wounds" (in the past it was "I need trans, go get wounded!") or who respond to people who say "Who wants to heal me?" or "Any empaths need empathy?" or even healing when someone commands "Heal me" as if that empath wasn't a person or healing something to respect.

There may be no fixing that, though. At least, I have to admit to having little confidence that it will be fixed...hence my change of guilds and my placing my so-called empath permamently "off duty".

Just a Wayfarer Now,

Lis

Re: Ability to earn money outside of tips. 07/09/2005 03:54 PM CDT
>I'd be interested to know the thought process behind such a suggestion and it's benefits

This is no longer a making tips thread. I'll answer in the appropraite catagory if I can find one.

Xochi
**Thread Moved** Re: Ability to earn money outside of tips. 07/10/2005 12:14 PM CDT
Hiya, people! The discussion is an interesting one but it's found a new home in the General Discussion Folder. Please visit it there. For questions or comments, please contact me via email (Mod-Arhia@play.net), Senior Board Monitor Annwyl (DR-Annwyl@play.net) or Board Supervisor Cecco (DR-Cecco@play.net). Thanks! --Arhia

"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug." --Mark Twain
Prev_page Previous 1 2 Next Next_page